Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

RedneckwithGuns posted:

After seeing Caroline Polachek's NPR Tiny Desk I am kicking myself for not seeing her live on her latest tour, holy poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmnZHQNN5cc

She's unbelievable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

exquisite tea posted:

Finally had a chance to sit down and listen to the whole Sufjan album. Not even taking into account everything that has happened recently in his own personal life, I feel like Javelin is a kind of linking piece between the lush choir-backed instrumentation of Illinoise with the deep kind of introspective writing of Carrie & Lowell. It's a great record, as usual, but also a really crushing one. Sufjan's lyricism has a way of really getting to me from an existential standpoint that not many other songwriters can manage. It sounds like the kind of album that Elliott Smith would make in 2023, which is also kind of sad to think about.

It's really grown on me. At first it didn't feel like anything groundbreaking for him, but it's still an absolutely gorgeous album. Poor guy has had a rough several years. This is now his 3rd album he's written about grieving a loved one in just 8 years. Carrie & Lowell (his mom), Convocations (his dad), and now Javelin (his partner).

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzsjWKVAy2Q

Saw an article that Daydream Nation turns 35 years old today so now I'm listening to it again for the first time in a while. An absolute certified classic.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
Absolutely loving the new Animal Collective. The one-two of Stride Rite into All the Clubs are Broken is fantastic. I'm not super hot on Defeat, think it wears out its welcome a little (although I do love the uptempo middle bit). But on the whole this is my favourite of theirs since MPP.

Has anyone listened to I Killed your Dog by L'rain? Played it for the first time today and there's a lot going on there, looking forward to digging into it a bit.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I like the new AC but Time Skiffs was dope as hell and probably my AOTY 2022

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nMPl9_72u0

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
This appeared in The Fall of the House of Usher and it's a nice breezy night drive kind of track. I dig it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGIe9BNxQ9Y

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

HampHamp posted:

Absolutely loving the new Animal Collective. The one-two of Stride Rite into All the Clubs are Broken is fantastic. I'm not super hot on Defeat, think it wears out its welcome a little (although I do love the uptempo middle bit). But on the whole this is my favourite of theirs since MPP.

Has anyone listened to I Killed your Dog by L'rain? Played it for the first time today and there's a lot going on there, looking forward to digging into it a bit.

Magicians of Baltimore is the best tho, goddamn

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Went to the last Postal Service show of the tour and my god was it worth it. Everyone killed it. Iron & Wine killed it, and he beatboxed an EDM beat too.

I was crying during the outro of Sleeping In, and again when they got everyone singing "Everything, will change"

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

skooma512 posted:

Went to the last Postal Service show of the tour and my god was it worth it. Everyone killed it. Iron & Wine killed it, and he beatboxed an EDM beat too.

I was crying during the outro of Sleeping In, and again when they got everyone singing "Everything, will change"

definitely one of the best shows of the year. It was so good!

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Yes, the new Animal Collective is so awesome.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

Poppers posted:

Wasn’t Japandroids the band where the lead singer guy would always set up a fan to blow his hair back while he sang lol? Never been able to take them seriously after I heard that

I would like to confirm that they definitely did do this.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
New AC has grown on me outside of Defeat. Stride Ride sounds JUST like father John misty which I love.

Kurt Vile dropped two new singles today. This Time of Night is one of those Jesus, Kurt songs. Dude just cuts right to the bone.

Edit: apparently it’s a cover? Still good. Seeing him in March now

i am a moron fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Oct 26, 2023

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Two bands I've discovered recently and really enjoyed:

Video Age

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jRjKaRnzGw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5VQ9L3eGkw

Their new album comes out Friday October 27th

and

Yard Act

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P0YpeMPZ9g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc5t9m2Hg9c

Their new album comes March 1st 2024

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Yard Act give off big trendier Half Man Half Biscuit vibes to me.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Aramoro posted:

Yard Act give off big trendier Half Man Half Biscuit vibes to me.

The person in the YouTube comments calling them British LCD Soundsystem made sense to me

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib
And for those of you who still think we’re from England, we’re not, no

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

New American Analog Set album is out. Doesn't seem to be on Spotify yet, but I'm listening to it on Bandcamp.

https://theamericananalogset.bandcamp.com/album/for-forever

It's real good so far and it bums me out that they aren't touring for it :(

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
As someone on Reddit said, "finally, a new King Gizzard album!"

(woo!)

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Big City Drinkin posted:

And for those of you who still think we’re from England, we’re not, no

This post is posing more questions than it answers. Are you Yard Act? Where are you from if not England. If not who is we here?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I picked up the new CMAT album today, along with the boygenius ep, and they give you sticker and a standee of her with it.

Album is a banger by the way.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Aramoro posted:

This post is posing more questions than it answers. Are you Yard Act? Where are you from if not England. If not who is we here?

They're north american scum

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Yard Act's first album was my favourite of last year, so I’m really looking forward to this. Dream Job is ace.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Seeing Bright Eyes next week in Christchurch and I am beyond stoked. First time they've come to new zealand in over 15 years and they are my favorite band since I was like 14.
A sign of how hyped I am, I am taking a six hour bus ride to see them but it will be so worth it.
A lame thing about living at the bottom of a country at the bottom of the world but again I am very excited.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Very excited to pick up some last minute tickets to see DEADLETTER next week in Edinburgh

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCnI3CiluHM

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Confusedslight posted:

Seeing Bright Eyes next week in Christchurch and I am beyond stoked. First time they've come to new zealand in over 15 years and they are my favorite band since I was like 14.
A sign of how hyped I am, I am taking a six hour bus ride to see them but it will be so worth it.
A lame thing about living at the bottom of a country at the bottom of the world but again I am very excited.

that's great — I am excited for you. travel safely, have a great time, and let us know how the show was!

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Confusedslight posted:

I used to live in Adelaide so always had to travel to see my favourite bands because even when they made the effort to travel all the way down there, they rarely went further west than Melbourne. It sucked.

I now live 800km from Helsinki, which bands seem to skip even more than anywhere in Australia. I’ve made things very difficult for myself.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

captainOrbital posted:

As someone on Reddit said, "finally, a new King Gizzard album!"

(woo!)

Isn’t it essentially two new albums? One with normal length songs, and the other with super expanded versions of those songs?

I love how the shortest song on the normal album is the longest song on the expanded album.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

They’re not usually my thing, but the new King Gizzard album is hitting all the right buttons for me. Especially the extended mix of Set.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Just curious what's the general opinion on the Scissor Sisters now that they've been done for a bit? I saw them live more than any other band and loved them completely but they're definitely a band I share with people more than I ran into someone that shares my excitement.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
King Gizz own and fully deserve their rise to stardom, saving music one album at a time.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Just curious what's the general opinion on the Scissor Sisters now that they've been done for a bit? I saw them live more than any other band and loved them completely but they're definitely a band I share with people more than I ran into someone that shares my excitement.

For me:

Scissor Sisters - Classic. I was a super-fan of Machine Gun Fellatio at the time, so this was very much along the same home-made outrageous & offensive glam/rock/dance lines. I loved it.

Ta-Dah - A couple of good songs but not quite as good as SS. I Don't Feel Like Dancing is way overplayed on MTV 00s these days.

Night Work - I only remember Invisible Light, which was a banger.

The fourth album (can't remember name) - No.

Disclaimer: I'm a straight white dude. The later albums may have spoken to others in a way that I don't understand/connect with. They just weren't for me.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Confusedslight posted:

That is very cool. I'm super glad to hear someone's dream band is coming to Te Waipounamu!

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

SunshineDanceParty posted:

I don't have any global insight into the lasting impact of Scissor Sisters

other than to note a unique brain worm located in my head thanks to overlistening to the copy of Tah-Dah that I got from Napster or whatever in 2006

Whenever I read the word "transistor" my brain immediately launches into transistaaaaaah, won't you take my signal? which is apparently from a U.K. bonus track that hardly anyone has listened to on Earth

it is my curse and may have impacted my enjoyment of the game Transistor by Supergiant games

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

As a young gay guy still figuring myself out when it came out, Night Work hit me like a truck. One of my all-time favorite albums. Invisible Light is still incredible.

e: Just now learning that that's Ian McKellen doing the "Sexual Gladiators" narration?!

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I don't really think this is "indie", but since I'd never heard of him, and he's been dead since the '80s, I figured I'd post it. It's an excellent song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMRpYtAhGAo

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I really wanted to see Self Esteem and Jake Shears doing their turn at Chicago but sadly the dates never worked out.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Saw Rare Candy last Thursday. Also saw him in August for the first time at a music festival (Excellency) in Bay City, MI. Both times he spent a lot of time talking with me and was super nice. His songs are catchy as heck too. Give some a listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4gX1YLznk0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A97sV078_Vo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FnnJTHNBps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

New MGMT album out 2-23-24, Loss of Life

First single - Mother Nature

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDzIO5ahGE8

Seen some people disappointed they're not continuing their goth stylings from Little Dark Age but I'm excited to see where this goes.