Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Hwurmp posted:

Finally got the Thanked achievement in Hypnospace Outlaw :pcgaming:

Is there a good list anywhere of all the extra pages that aren't needed for HAP?

Congrats! Thanks for spending so much time with the game! i don't know of one but you can find a bunch by our discord community by searching 'discord'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I remember finding my first item in BG3 that had lightning charges, and going "uh this isn't d&d, what is this crap"

and then over the course of the game you basically find a "tree" of lightning items that can go so many ways, and there are so many other trees

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Speaking of BG3.

More games need to bring back musical numbers.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Goa Tse-tung posted:

I remember finding my first item in BG3 that had lightning charges, and going "uh this isn't d&d, what is this crap"

and then over the course of the game you basically find a "tree" of lightning items that can go so many ways, and there are so many other trees

There are per hit modifiers (like lightning charges) that you can stack like mad. If you get wild enough, a 1st level magic missile can do up to 150 damage per cast.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I played some more Strange Brigade last night with a second friend and that game's alright for a game I bought 95% off for $4 including all the DLC ever but I don't think it'll have much staying power for us. It feels like it's straddling a couple different genres and doesn't really succeed at any of them. The gunplay feels real limp, the puzzles are so far extremely easy and already repeating two levels in (I hope you liked the pipe puzzle from Bioshock), the rewards for the puzzles are boring, and the levels go on for way too long. There's a horde mode that feels very similar to zombies in COD that might be more fun because it cuts out the puzzles and the unlocks entirely. It almost feels like the game was at one point going to be a straight up tower defense game a la Orcs Must Die with the hordes and the traps.

If they leaned more into being a fun visceral horde shooter using that Sniper Elite engine that would be pretty sweet, OR lean more into the puzzles and make it like an Escape Academy style thing with actual puzzles and horde sections in between that would also be pretty sweet. As it is, eh. Maybe try it with friends when it's -95% off but for a full priced game :aslol:

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

explosivo posted:

I played some more Strange Brigade last night with a second friend and that game's alright for a game I bought 95% off for $4 including all the DLC ever but I don't think it'll have much staying power for us. It feels like it's straddling a couple different genres and doesn't really succeed at any of them. The gunplay feels real limp, the puzzles are so far extremely easy and already repeating two levels in (I hope you liked the pipe puzzle from Bioshock), the rewards for the puzzles are boring, and the levels go on for way too long. There's a horde mode that feels very similar to zombies in COD that might be more fun because it cuts out the puzzles and the unlocks entirely. It almost feels like the game was at one point going to be a straight up tower defense game a la Orcs Must Die with the hordes and the traps.

If they leaned more into being a fun visceral horde shooter using that Sniper Elite engine that would be pretty sweet, OR lean more into the puzzles and make it like an Escape Academy style thing with actual puzzles and horde sections in between that would also be pretty sweet. As it is, eh. Maybe try it with friends when it's -95% off but for a full priced game :aslol:

Yeh for all the fun pulp stylings, Strange Brigade gets very same-y very early on

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Quick shout out for Jusant which just came out on Game Pass. Hadn't heard of the game before but the visuals intrigued me. Turns out it's a climbing atmospheric game? The trigger buttons correspond to your arms which you use to grip or not grip a handhold. I've only finished the first chapter but it's pretty chill so far, with relatively forgiving physics.

Oddly enough, the game reminds me most of Shadow of the Collosus, without the colossi. There's a lot of climbing/platforming (though you have far more control than Wander ever did), and Jusant has its own distinct art style and desolate setting.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I played Jusant during one of the last steam demo days and thought it was real neat. I was stoked to see it show up on Gamepass, definitely looking forward to trying it out later.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Artelier posted:

Quick shout out for Jusant

explosivo posted:

I played Jusant during one of the last steam demo days

:hellyeah:

I also played the demo and it was an insta-Wishlist item for me. It's really easy to watch the trailer and think you're just walking up to a wall, pressing the "get on the wall" button and then navigating with the joystick like every other game with climbing, but it's so much more involved than that. Seems like a genuinely great game and I can't wait for work to end so I can play it.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Azran posted:

Opinions on Chained Echoes?

Really loving good with my only quibble being the Mech combat mechanics in the mid-late game. On foot combat mechanics are pristine.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

AngryBooch posted:

Really loving good with my only quibble being the Mech combat mechanics in the mid-late game. On foot combat mechanics are pristine.

The mech combat is the weakest part IMO by far, and the difficulty in general is pretty brutal. There are, however, options to turn the difficulty down by increments and I took liberal use of that option towards the end because some fights were just impossible for me.

Other than that it's a solid RPG, some character motivations and poor ending (again YMMV) aside, I'd recommend it. Art and music are wonderful.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I always smash the buy button when there's a game with climbing, and Jusant did not disappoint so far. Very zen but also involved enough to not feel like the game plays itself.

Also, to find collectibles your little buddy goes to meditate on your head.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I snuck 45 minutes in on lunch; any idea what the red/green/blue circles represent? The tooltip disappeared too quickly before I could actually read it. Only glimpsed "objectives, consumables" but I'm not sure which color is which

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
If the game told me I missed it. I think blue is for the murals. Maybe?

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

GhostDog posted:

If the game told me I missed it. I think blue is for the murals. Maybe?

I'm absolutely certain the game doesn't explicitly state the colour distinction at all. I like your idea about the colour indicating the *type* of thing though. I'm going to bear that in mind, during my next session.

Having clocked 3.5 hours with the game now, I can safely say it is super-duper doing the business for me. I'm so vibing with the sense of place, and just everything about the presentation. Just *being* in the world of the game.

Reminds me of NaissanceE in that sense - a sort of dreamlike, austere visual style, but richly detailed in its own way. Helps that I am a wonk for traversal mechanics in games, so the act of playing it is great fun as well.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Is there no big halloween/autumn sale this year?
I'm seeing a kinda spooky sale going on but it feels a bit small beans.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

double nine posted:

Is there no big halloween/autumn sale this year?
I'm seeing a kinda spooky sale going on but it feels a bit small beans.

This is the halloween sale and yeah it's pretty poo poo

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Pretty good couple of weeks for Gamepass; in addition to Jusant, Wartales just showed up on there today and this game's alright! Just saw we're getting Rollerdrome next month too :getin:

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
Jusant sounds like my jam, and yay that it's on gamepass - I got it for the Payday 3 launch because I knew it was going to be rough, but didn't think it would be as bad as it was. However, I ended up playing Lies of P and that game rules.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Jack Trades posted:

Speaking of BG3.

More games need to bring back musical numbers.

funny you should say that

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Anyone try Lunacid yet? It's a direct homage to the classic King's Field games: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1745510/Lunacid/

(don't give up skeleton)

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I played all the early access content on Lunacid, and I actually learned right now that it left EA yesterday and released 1.0! Looks like I'll be heading down again. Feature and level complete should mean there's new stuff to discover.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1745510/view/3713840347004514893?l=english

When it says it's a spiritual successor to King's Field, you better believe it!

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Nov 1, 2023

Rage McDougal
Jul 28, 2013

I'm a few hours in and enjoying it a lot so far.

The combat's servicable, if a bit simple, but it has atmosphere coming out of it's ears and it's a lot of fun exploring and finding secrets.

My biggest complaint is that there's a lot of running around identical looking maze-like tunnels, making it very hard to keep track of where I've already been or not - and I'm someone who normally considers themselves pretty good at keeping a mental map of places. I haven't read many other complaints about this though, so maybe it's just a me thing!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The lack of a map was my only complaint from a short romp with the game in EA, but it seemed like it could be cool otherwise

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Rage McDougal posted:

I'm a few hours in and enjoying it a lot so far.

The combat's servicable, if a bit simple, but it has atmosphere coming out of it's ears and it's a lot of fun exploring and finding secrets.

My biggest complaint is that there's a lot of running around identical looking maze-like tunnels, making it very hard to keep track of where I've already been or not - and I'm someone who normally considers themselves pretty good at keeping a mental map of places. I haven't read many other complaints about this though, so maybe it's just a me thing!

Sure sounds like King's Field alright. And I for one would welcome an era of kingsfieldlikes.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Kanfy posted:

Sure sounds like King's Field alright. And I for one would welcome an era of kingsfieldlikes.

You're in luck because there's a bunch of games (like more than 2) coming out with the marketing budget of "if this is a kingsfeildlike, Iron Pineapple will make a video about us"

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Aren't Kings Fieldlikes just faster paced Ultima Underworld clones?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

nah, extremely different vibe

there's another one in or nearing EA that looks super trippy but I can't remember the name of it rn

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

victrix posted:

nah, extremely different vibe

there's another one in or nearing EA that looks super trippy but I can't remember the name of it rn

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1574240/Dread_Delusion/

Lunacid dev actually contributed to this one as well iirc

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

victrix posted:

Anyone try Lunacid yet? It's a direct homage to the classic King's Field games: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1745510/Lunacid/

(don't give up skeleton)

The developer is also incredibly based.
https://twitter.com/Stylish_Kira/status/1699536859066474991

:bisonyes:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Fun little thing about Jusant: when you return to a game the character is seen sitting in the background behind the main menu, when you choose to continue the menu goes away, the camera pulls out, your character gets up and you're right near where you saved and quit last time without any additional load screens.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

explosivo posted:

Fun little thing about Jusant: when you return to a game the character is seen sitting in the background behind the main menu, when you choose to continue the menu goes away, the camera pulls out, your character gets up and you're right near where you saved and quit last time without any additional load screens.

They're all so picteresque too! Wish the game had a photo mode.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man

That's hilarious and I'm going to buy the game on that alone. (well, not alone. It was already on my wishlist, but yeah)

mystes
May 31, 2006

lol

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

That's awesome. That's up there with Buck Up and Drive having LGBTQ+ flags on some of the billboards in the game, with a toggle in the options menu. Except switching the toggle doesn't get rid of the flags, it just makes every billboard have an LGBTQ+ flag.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
Jusant puzzle question: I'm at the "village" and there's a grapple point on a rotating fan way up high. I can get to that, no problem. The cave behind it goes into a new area, but there's still a few circles in the area (a red and a blue; the green one is the glowing pillar thing that you spin and the 'icon' for it doesn't go away after you spin it). I can see a ledge above the one I used to grapple to the point on the fan. How the heck do I get up there? I tried swinging back and forth and jumping at the little walkway/bridge thing to try and grab it, but my rope is just a bit short. Extending it out any more makes me hit the ledge on the backswing, which ruins my momentum. There's gotta be an easier way! Also, I'm guessing those little yellow circles that are set into the wall should extend for use as climbing handholds, but I can't seem to find a switch or anything in the area. Is that triggered later by a switch or a power somewhere else?

Other than that, I've been enjoying it. It's chill and the "watery companion" is cute.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Fifty Farts posted:

Jusant puzzle question: I'm at the "village" and there's a grapple point on a rotating fan way up high. I can get to that, no problem. The cave behind it goes into a new area, but there's still a few circles in the area (a red and a blue; the green one is the glowing pillar thing that you spin and the 'icon' for it doesn't go away after you spin it). I can see a ledge above the one I used to grapple to the point on the fan. How the heck do I get up there? I tried swinging back and forth and jumping at the little walkway/bridge thing to try and grab it, but my rope is just a bit short. Extending it out any more makes me hit the ledge on the backswing, which ruins my momentum. There's gotta be an easier way! Also, I'm guessing those little yellow circles that are set into the wall should extend for use as climbing handholds, but I can't seem to find a switch or anything in the area. Is that triggered later by a switch or a power somewhere else?

Other than that, I've been enjoying it. It's chill and the "watery companion" is cute.

I think that one is just higher up than where you are now. I tried doing the same thing you did and never got anywhere. There's some of the blue climbey ivy stuff that you can activate on the wall near there that lets you get up to the next section and I think that's where that thing you're seeing is. Those circles look deceptively close sometimes, occasionally they're way further away than I thought and it only becomes clear when I get to the next section and see the circle way up on a ledge in the distance.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Ultima Underworld is an immersive sim *ducks*

I know it's incredibly annoying to say things like "not having a map is incredibly important to the atmosphere of King's Field," but, well. Getting deeply lost is 100% the point. Very slowly becoming comfortable navigating a gigantic, hostile, dark, oppressive maze is what it's all about.

KNR
May 3, 2009

OzFactor posted:

Ultima Underworld is an immersive sim *ducks*

I know it's incredibly annoying to say things like "not having a map is incredibly important to the atmosphere of King's Field," but, well. Getting deeply lost is 100% the point. Very slowly becoming comfortable navigating a gigantic, hostile, dark, oppressive maze is what it's all about.
My only issue with that take is that I already think the dungeon crawler imsims (UU, Arx Fatalis, Sytem Shock, Prey) are a different genre from the stealth action ones (Thief, Deus Ex, Dishonored).

And every King's Field game has maps, though the quality of the games is inversely proportional to the quality/availability of the maps (4>2>1~3). Neither Shadow Tower had maps but they're also much more linear games.

KNR fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Nov 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Deus Ex is an RPG, Thief and Dishonored are not.

There are no genres.