Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pryce
May 21, 2011
I let out an audible gasp when I saw the metallic dyes in action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Somewhat later than usual, seeing as Xitter is a no-go these days for anyone without an actual account (like me) so I had to wait for something else to link, but I can now report that Swtorista's full dev stream write-up/transcript is now up. You can also rewatch the entire stream here! Anyway, in a nutshell:
  • The storyline continues with a new area on Ord Mantell. Aside from pure story content, there'll be new dailies with a reputation track and a world boss - a big droid called :911: FR3-D0M :911:
  • Also continuing: finding a way to make the baby Basilisk droid you found back in update 7.2 all better. It'll apparently involve a very old (but not previously seen) HK droid.
  • In 7.2 and 7.3, the team had been trying out a new cinematic lighting system. This was limited to the content of those updates, but it will now be deployed across all cinematic content. Click thee here to see some screenshots and footage showing off the difference.
  • The GTN is getting a significant mechanical overhaul. For instance, you'll be able to search for an item and just be able to buy it for the lowest available price and even buy a specific number of items from a stack, much like in WoW for example. The UI will also change quite a bit and you'll be able to claim items directly from the GTN window, rather than your mailbox.
  • Gear rating will increase once more, up to 344 (Rakata gear). Although this hasn't been elaborated on, supposedly you'll be able to get such gear no matter what you play.
  • Not directly related to 7.4, but PvP Season 4 will start on 7 November.
  • The Life Day event will return on 12 December and there'll be a new armour set to collect.
  • New dyes are being introduced using new colouring tech that, shortly put, make your outfits really really shiny. You'll be able to apply them to any outfit and the intent is that the same tech will also be applicable in the future to weapons and mounts. This is something that you really need to see in action to appreciate, so click here already !!
  • As usual, there'll be cool new armour and weapons in the Cartel Market. Thanks nonentity.
:siren: Also, as mentioned on the previous page, don't forget to redeem the new code (that's LotSVizla) before 1 November! :siren:

In conclusion:

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Any word on when the next xp event will be?

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Don't think it's been mentioned yet. Wouldn't surprise me if there'll be one to coincide with the Life Day event, though.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm having decision paralysis. I want to choose a 2nd character to play through all the expansions, starting basically with RotHC. I've done 100% of all of it with a LS trooper. It was fun but kotfe/kotet didn't really work well for a non-force user. So what should I bring through next? I have to choose one because I'm a filthy casual and this is a big time investment! My choices are:

LS jedi knight
Neutral BH
Neutral/LS sith warrior
DS as gently caress inquisitor
Neutral/DS imp agent

thank you in advance for deciding for me.

bonus pic of said trooper:

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

I've actually only gone through KotFE and any subsequent expansions with non-Force users, so I've got no business weighing on in this really, but DS-as-gently caress Inquisitor sounds like it might be a fun romp. Otherwise, either the JK or the SW would probably be the obvious choice given their relation to the Emperor.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Knight and Warrior are the best choices for KOTXX due to how intertwined their stories are with the emperor. Knight is probably the better choice overall as it is the logical next step after he defeats "the emperor" in his story

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

JK makes a ton of sense. Agreed. I'm just really unsure about that given I already brought a full LS republic character through it all. So I'm definitely leaning towards

Neutral/LS SW

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

JK makes a ton of sense. Agreed. I'm just really unsure about that given I already brought a full LS republic character through it all. So I'm definitely leaning towards

Neutral/LS SW

Go with mostly LS Warrior then. I say mostly because out of all the classes Warriors have the most nuanced choices where it's way more fun to balance your choices for what makes sense in your head canon. There's a few "LS" choices the lead to DS paths, and vice versa. You can choose to spare Jaessa's parents, and then in the next chain you can choose to send them to Dromund Kaas to be tortured.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Hmm okay. OR I could do both DS inquisitor and LS jedi knight, for the true both sides experience, and just plan to play this game for the next year at least lol

e: I AM SO INDECISIVE
e2: okay what if I do LS jedi knight for the true canon experience, then imp agent DS for moustache twirling psycho killer imp experience
e3: i've decided to eliminate inquisitor because i just don't like the voice actor

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 29, 2023

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

I recently took a female Sith Warrior through the full story making light-side choices and had an enjoyable time. I like it better than what I remember of my original play through that story line 11+ years ago going dark side (RIP Sithbusters operations team).

Picked Sith Assassin as the combat style to be able to use stealth to skip trash mobs during backtracking. However, they don't have the cutscenes totally fixed for that class story and style combination. Sometimes she would grab a non-existent one-handed saber and pretend to ignite it with a scowl for dramatic effect.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm having decision paralysis. I want to choose a 2nd character to play through all the expansions, starting basically with RotHC. I've done 100% of all of it with a LS trooper. It was fun but kotfe/kotet didn't really work well for a non-force user. So what should I bring through next? I have to choose one because I'm a filthy casual and this is a big time investment! My choices are:

LS jedi knight
Neutral BH
Neutral/LS sith warrior
Neutral/DS imp agent

thank you in advance for deciding for me.

bonus pic of said trooper:

I'll give you a ruder response.

Do LS SW.

Jedi Knight sucks. People keep saying it's fine, it's not. It's incredibly trashy writing and I kept finding myself rolling my eyes at it. It's "canon" but also like, some of Bioware's schlockiest stuff. I wish I had skipped it.

Inquis is fun, but I wouldn't feel bad if I never got a Inquis storyline done.

Imp Agent should be played at some point, but you seem to want this to be a semi canon/full run.

Sith Warrior makes the most sense, and LS Sith Warrior is consistently some of the best writing in the game. It lets you engage with the most features across the expansions. It makes just as much sense as JK in all content, hell, even more. It's actually got unique stuff to itself that'll make expansion stuff play out in unique ways.

Crancherry
May 29, 2014

Pork Pro

Rookersh posted:

I'll give you a ruder response.

Do LS SW.

Jedi Knight sucks. People keep saying it's fine, it's not. It's incredibly trashy writing and I kept finding myself rolling my eyes at it. It's "canon" but also like, some of Bioware's schlockiest stuff. I wish I had skipped it.
I agree. It was the least enjoyable for me all the way around.

quote:

Sith Warrior makes the most sense, and LS Sith Warrior is consistently some of the best writing in the game.
Agree with this too.

Also, imo, both voice actors for SW were a thousand times better than for JK.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Okay I am sold. It's SW time. Many thanks to all of you. The SW voice acting (for male) is great too!

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

Okay I am sold. It's SW time. Many thanks to all of you. The SW voice acting (for male) is great too!

Rad, hope you didn't mind me laying down the hammer there. But whenever I'm indecisive I need someone to lay it on thick.

You'd have had a substantially worse experience doing JK for what you want. If you ever get time to get around to it, sure check it out. But if you have very limited time and want this to matter? SW. Easy answer SW.

SW/IA are the two storylines everyone needs to at least have done before finishing SWTOR.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I love that light side sith just confuses Jedi so hard it leads them to making dark side choices

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

CLAM DOWN posted:

e3: i've decided to eliminate inquisitor because i just don't like the voice actor
The male SI VA is whatever, but the Female Sith inquisitor is one of my favorite VAs in the whole game.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Rookersh posted:

Rad, hope you didn't mind me laying down the hammer there. But whenever I'm indecisive I need someone to lay it on thick.

You'd have had a substantially worse experience doing JK for what you want. If you ever get time to get around to it, sure check it out. But if you have very limited time and want this to matter? SW. Easy answer SW.

SW/IA are the two storylines everyone needs to at least have done before finishing SWTOR.

Absolutely don't mind, I needed to be told what to do!!! Appreciate all of it.

howe_sam posted:

The male SI VA is whatever, but the Female Sith inquisitor is one of my favorite VAs in the whole game.

That explains it because my SI is a male lol

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I liked the male's VA well enough, he had a nice mustache twirling delivery for the dark side options anyway.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

So SWTOR is run by Broadsword now right? Have there been any noticeable changes or improvements or unimprovements since they took over?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Shard posted:

So SWTOR is run by Broadsword now right? Have there been any noticeable changes or improvements or unimprovements since they took over?

I mean it's been like a month. 7.4 is looking awesome though!

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

I mean it's been like a month. 7.4 is looking awesome though!
A few months by now, but still a little too early to expect any significant changes. But yes, 7.4 is looking very good and the impression I get from nonentity's response in our Discord channel is that he and the rest of the team are delighted so far with their transfer to Broadsword.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

swtor was the last bioware game that even felt close to a bioware game. And now it's not so Bioware's transformation into a company that does not make games I enjoy is complete.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Shard posted:

Everything I've heard from folks over there is that life is immediately much better; it'll take a long time for any impact to really be visible to players though given how long the development pipeline is though.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Pryce posted:

Everything I've heard from folks over there is that life is immediately much better; it'll take a long time for any impact to really be visible to players though given how long the development pipeline is though.

You should dish some gossip from your days at Bioware now for us

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Medullah posted:

You should dish some gossip from your days at Bioware now for us

You mean like how Casey Hudson repeatedly said in company-wide meetings how proud he was of Anthem for being the 'first-ever live service game for BioWare' and how that team had done a great job teaching Bioware how server-based games operated and how they had solved problems no other BioWare game ever had to solve for multiplayer? And that even when corrected he'd double down and suggest that SWTOR 'didn't count'? And that he had to be constantly reminded to include SWTOR in company-wide meetings or announcements and had to constantly be proactively asked to congratulate SWTOR on shipping expansions or reaching milestones?

Nah, I don't think I should dish on that sort of gossip.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Pryce posted:

You mean like how Casey Hudson repeatedly said in company-wide meetings how proud he was of Anthem for being the 'first-ever live service game for BioWare' and how that team had done a great job teaching Bioware how server-based games operated and how they had solved problems no other BioWare game ever had to solve for multiplayer? And that even when corrected he'd double down and suggest that SWTOR 'didn't count'? And that he had to be constantly reminded to include SWTOR in company-wide meetings or announcements and had to constantly be proactively asked to congratulate SWTOR on shipping expansions or reaching milestones?

Hahaha holy poo poo that's amazing

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Pryce posted:

That sounds like exactly the kind of thing you shouldn't say.

What other kinds of things should you not say?

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Arquinsiel posted:

That sounds like exactly the kind of thing you shouldn't say.

What other kinds of things should you not say?

Honestly there's not a ton of juicy stuff (and Gary, who took over from Casey, was honestly one of the most supportive people at EA at advocating and championing SWTOR). The post-launch team of the last 6+ years have all been amazing. They're so eager to do more and push their limits, they are never satisfied with what can be done and always want to try one more thing. They (or past tense 'we') don't always get it right on the first try but every single person on that team is there because they want to be, and that's so rare aross the industry. I miss the team a lot and thankfully am still close friends with many of them.

Sorry, nothing super juicy to share!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

That's pretty cool to hear though; it's also heartening to hear that folks are happy with the new ownership, it seems like the business of video games has been moving hard in the direction of misery these days

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Pryce posted:

Honestly there's not a ton of juicy stuff (and Gary, who took over from Casey, was honestly one of the most supportive people at EA at advocating and championing SWTOR). The post-launch team of the last 6+ years have all been amazing. They're so eager to do more and push their limits, they are never satisfied with what can be done and always want to try one more thing. They (or past tense 'we') don't always get it right on the first try but every single person on that team is there because they want to be, and that's so rare aross the industry. I miss the team a lot and thankfully am still close friends with many of them.

That's so awesome to hear!

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Pryce posted:

lol, this tracks: https://kotaku.com/how-biowares-anthem-went-wrong-1833731964

Jason Schreier posted:

BioWare Austin developers recall offering feedback only to get dismissed or ignored by BioWare Edmonton’s senior leadership team, a process that was particularly frustrating for those who had already shipped a big online game, Star Wars: The Old Republic, and learned from its mistakes. One developer described it as a culture clash between a group of developers in Edmonton who were used to making single-player box product games and a group of developers in Austin who knew how to make online service games.

“We’d tell them, ‘This is not going to work. Look, these [story] things you’re doing, it’s gonna split up the player experience,’” said an Austin developer. “We’d already been through all of it with The Old Republic. We knew what it was like when players felt like they were getting rushed through story missions, because other players were on their headsets going, ‘C’mon cmon, let’s go.’ So we knew all these things, and we’d bring it up repeatedly, and we were ignored.”

Nice to see that even after Anthem's poo poo-rear end launch the BioWare exec team still had absolutely zero self-awareness

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Pryce posted:

That's kind of refreshing TBH. I'm so used to places being dysfunctional as gently caress that it's nice to hear about somewhere that was mostly good.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Pryce posted:

You'd think he would've been a little more appreciative of the direct offshoot of the massively succesful, universally lauded game he produced and arguably really made his career.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I still hear folks talk about SWTOR as oh man what a fumble but honestly I don't think you can be considered a failure or bad game if you're an MMO that lasts for 10+ years. And just for my money, swtor is the only mmo I've repeatedly come back to and played for any given time.

I haven't tried a ton - WOW, FF14, Secret World. Swtor is my fav.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Welllll if I'm really critical, then SWTOR is arguably a failure in the sense that it's not nearly as successful as it could've been, given that it's a Star Wars MMO built on a budget of titanic proportions. I forget how many players it had shortly after launch, but the playerbase of course very rapidly shrunk within the first few months and has never recovered. In business terms, at least, I'd say SWTOR never managed to realise its enormous potential.

Still, given that almost 12 years after release it's still being properly developed and my understanding is that it was actually generating quite a bit of money for BioWare before being handed off to Broadsword, it's very difficult to argue that it's just "a failure". And it's definitely not a bad game by MMO standards.

Speaking of other MMOs, though, I always like to return to CoX every once in a while and should probably do that again sometime soon.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I've played a couple and SWTOR really is better than most. I know they've all changed a lot since I first tried them (except Runescape lololol) but the experience I had in World of Warcraft put me off that game entirely within a month, whereas SWTOR was rough the first time I tried it, and all that did was make me wait until I had a better machine to try it again.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

During COVID I reconnected with an old friend from my university days, who was really into WoW and I let myself be persuaded to try it out. I actually did have fun with it for a while, but story- and character-wise it didn't much resonate with me, and of course it's all just much more impersonal when your own character doesn't get to make dialogue or quest choices and is mostly just a bystander in any scripted event. WoW also very much made me appreciate map and mission design in SWTOR - in WoW, it seems like almost everything is just "kill/collect X of X" and virtually everthing is either outdoors or in fairly horrible underground tunnels without a decent map.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
For me the difference was the playerbase. There was a guy in college who was famous for saying "hello" to people by giving them a nipple twister and not bothering to check who was in the mumble server when him and his girlfriend had weird cybersex. Him and his girlfriend were the least terrible people I encountered during my month in WoW. SWTOR, by comparison, is full of extremely friendly people who actually help newbies out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

For me the difference was the playerbase. There was a guy in college who was famous for saying "hello" to people by giving them a nipple twister and not bothering to check who was in the mumble server when him and his girlfriend had weird cybersex. Him and his girlfriend were the least terrible people I encountered during my month in WoW. SWTOR, by comparison, is full of extremely friendly people who actually help newbies out.

I always hear stories of how lovely goons are in other games, but I think we had a good group of guys playing when we were playing regularly.

Except Oedzi, of course, he would always PM me asking for pictures of my right testicle (specifically demanding I do NOT include the left in the picture)