Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

Don't kiss your sister, Son...

Mandoric posted:

Seriously, why and also how the hell are my trams doing this.

My trams keep going back to the depot carrying passengers and I'm not sure why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Managed to snag a key from GameSeal today at 40% off, with a separate 10% off on top with a Halloween discount code. Looking forward to too many teeth renders.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

TheOneVader posted:

Field Trip to the tram depot!!! One of the few field trips I remember from my childhood was going to the "bus barn" and I was young enough to be impressed by them washing a bus. (There was also light rail there too)

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
I figured it out. Tram stops are to the center of the tram not the head, trams will contort like a JoJo character to not block an intersection while loading, and

TheOneVader posted:

trams that twist their way onto the wrong side of the tracks will path through the depot to try to turn back around to the right direction.

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

Don't kiss your sister, Son...

Mandoric posted:

I figured it out. Tram stops are to the center of the tram not the head, trams will contort like a JoJo character to not block an intersection while loading, and

trams that twist their way onto the wrong side of the tracks will path through the depot to try to turn back around to the right direction.

Thank you! I re-positioned the stops to the middle of the block and they seem to be working right now.

Unrelated, but I'm also seeing the screen sort of flashing constantly, but like only slightly brighter. Running a 6900XT and otherwise it's running way better than I anticipated. 50 FPS at 3440x1440 with the recommended tweaks.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Yeah getting the tram or bus to stop at just the right spot on a block can be fiddly. Luckily you can click on the stop and move it without having to redo lines.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Mad Wack posted:

i just zone a literal huge toilet volcano and dump all the poop in there

Toilet volcano :hmmyes:

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Cygni posted:

Yeah getting the tram or bus to stop at just the right spot on a block can be fiddly. Luckily you can click on the stop and move it without having to redo lines.

I really wish the light tram/bus stops were just autodrawn where you put a waypoint, honestly. I get the idea of putting down an actual stop and it having to be on a wide sidewalk or something, but "you can move a physical tram stop sign" saves a UI context switch when changing routes at the cost of adding a UI context switch while placing them.

I also wish you could just play with existing routes in the same move node/add node way as area borders. And/or that the UI would make it clear that and how you can, slap an edit icon on there in addition to inspect, I'm getting pretty tired of building a new station in a new block of tiles after a new milestone and having to delete and remake routes.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

deep dish peat moss posted:

Yeah, this game does some neat stuff and has some nice improvements over CS1, but it feels like it's less of a "game" than virtually any city builder I've played before. I have no idea what it's actually going for - an art tool for designing cities? A (currently-broken) hard simulation?

Personally I think I'll enjoy it a lot once the bugs are ironed out (and hopefully they fix the insanely detailed models for random crap). Their vision seems to be that this game should be less of a bonsai and more of a simulator where the city you create grows organically based on the resources you exploit, liveable neighbourhoods you create, education, interconnectivity between (types of) commercial and industry, etc...

A city that has an oil industry with a cargo harbour and gas-powered power plant and industries supporting those with a strong automobile export leads to a lot of single males living in large apartment complexes, and its commerces will include lots of gas stations and car dealerships. This is going to look, in theory, wildly different and be a different living experience than a city built with a lot of education, parks, offices and suburbs for yuppies, who require coffee shops within walking distance of their college campus, which also has rent-controlled apartments for out-of-state students. Subsidies and taxes let you tweak this to get the type of city you want.

Personally so far I've mostly been having fun trying to balance my budget without relying on 50 dollar parking fees for everybody...

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wonder if they could just add a bonsai mode tickbox that gives every demand type a flat rate addition, to go with the no money tickbox.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
The 1.0.11f1 hotfix from last week has arrived on Game Pass.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

lagidnam posted:

The 1.0.11f1 hotfix from last week has arrived on Game Pass.

Yaaay

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Which option in the dev menu disables features of sims like hair etc? Been looking around the Rendering submenu and others but can't really find anything that would point to that

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Fishstick posted:

Which option in the dev menu disables features of sims like hair etc? Been looking around the Rendering submenu and others but can't really find anything that would point to that

Here's a screenshot of the settings from the Reddit post linked earlier

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Why the hell os there no lane tool. The fact that it's absent and the drivers in this game are unable to do a clean lane change is somewhat infuriating.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

But for real, why did they gate specialized industry and trains and harbours and stuff behind development trees, but not heavy industry, when those were the most common ways for cities to start and develop? I don't get it.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Michaellaneous posted:

Why the hell os there no lane tool. The fact that it's absent and the drivers in this game are unable to do a clean lane change is somewhat infuriating.

This has been driving me insane as well on top of not being able to set two way stop signs.

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

piratepilates posted:

But for real, why did they gate specialized industry and trains and harbours and stuff behind development trees, but not heavy industry, when those were the most common ways for cities to start and develop? I don't get it.

Yeah its really weird to have to put down a ton of factories before you can build a simple farm

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

New post by the CO CEO on the Paradox forums, reviving the "Word of the Week" series, if anyone remember that (before my time).

Kinda light on details, but does acknowledge that they are fixing some of these issues: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/co-word-of-the-week-1.1606113/

quote:

The first hotfix patch was quick to roll out on Steam last week and this morning the patch for Microsoft Store and Game Pass finally made it live. We will have to see how we can speed up the patching process so we don’t have players waiting for these important fixes longer than necessary. The patch included optimization for LODs, or Level of Detail, which means that the game renders fewer details when the camera is far away from the object. Finding optimal LOD levels is a balancing act between visual fidelity and performance, and we’ll be addressing this in future patches. Yes, including the characters and their teeth!

quote:

This week we will continue to go through the forum reports and fix the most urgent issues. The work on the assets and LODs continues, but it’s a task spanning over a longer period of time as there are quite a few different types of assets needing special attention. On top of the performance work, we are looking into gameplay issues you have reported. We have fixes being tested for education, where college/university eligibility is not shown correctly in the UI, and for trading, where it looks like the citizens are not consuming all different commercial types correctly resulting in not enough customers for the local business. We are currently investigating a garbage problem and it seems that some citizens are abandoning their dogs resulting in a huge dog pack just stranded in the city. Not cool, citizens, not cool at all.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Also...why are intersections locked behind this many points? I am not the best at designing those. Just make it... a point. Or something.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Michaellaneous posted:

Also...why are intersections locked behind this many points? I am not the best at designing those. Just make it... a point. Or something.

Unfortunately the only premade intersections you get are generally loving gigantic highway interchanges and not really ones you can plop in anywhere. They're very nice as gigantic highway interchanges but I was hoping for more variety. Looking forward to modders putting a bunch more in.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

It's a really minor thing but I miss how opening the public transport overview in CS1 highlighted waiting passengers at bus stands. It was cool watching waves of people getting on and off transport, and just watching them in normal vision makes it a bit harder to discern where everyone is going.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I might need to watch some youtube videos to see how to handle high density areas, because roads near any high density residential seem to be clusterfucks no matter how much walkability/transit capacity is added.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

it rules seeing cims driving to work, getting to their destination and then turning around and driving a kilometer away to park

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wonder if the game might be just drat fine if they let you freely build/demolish highways, pipes, rail, and high-voltage power outside your owned patches.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

explosivo posted:

Unfortunately the only premade intersections you get are generally loving gigantic highway interchanges and not really ones you can plop in anywhere. They're very nice as gigantic highway interchanges but I was hoping for more variety. Looking forward to modders putting a bunch more in.

You cant even raise/lower the entire intersection in cases of sunken or raised highways, big miss

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

the nebulous "efficiency" stat that is tied to funding instead of actual service effectiveness is so loving lame and lovely. a baseline elementary school has capacity for 1000 students. if i have 100 students attending it, and the budget is set to 50%, then the efficiency takes a 80-90% penalty despite only using what should be 1/5th of that capacity. it's like that for every service and it makes adjusting the budget basically pointless since a lot of them provide zero mechanical benefit unless fully funded

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I built a technical university and a nice huge pedestrian area with parking spaces and whatnot and.. nobody drove in or parked anywhere but the school started filling up? I have bus lines and a subway but didn't build those until later. I have like a thousand+ people attending this school and the parking lot is completely empty. There is one on the lot itself that does have people parked there but it's certainly not enough cars for 1500 students plus employees. Did they all sneak in by foot or are the numbers being fudged here?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

explosivo posted:

I built a technical university and a nice huge pedestrian area with parking spaces and whatnot and.. nobody drove in or parked anywhere but the school started filling up? I have bus lines and a subway but didn't build those until later. I have like a thousand+ people attending this school and the parking lot is completely empty. There is one on the lot itself that does have people parked there but it's certainly not enough cars for 1500 students plus employees. Did they all sneak in by foot or are the numbers being fudged here?

there are shifts so i think that not all employees are going to or being at work at the same time, so maybe that applies to schools, but there's also definitely not as many people commuting as there should be. id guess maybe 10% of employees go to work at my businesses

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I haven't spent a lot of time tracking it but CS1 sims were willing to walk pretty far and in 2 that also seems to be the case. Also even though there is rush hour now, I'm not sure it applies to schools. My city has very little traffic so it's been hard to tell.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Grand Fromage posted:

I haven't spent a lot of time tracking it but CS1 sims were willing to walk pretty far and in 2 that also seems to be the case. Also even though there is rush hour now, I'm not sure it applies to schools. My city has very little traffic so it's been hard to tell.

i actually zoned a few businesses specifically to be on parking islands where there aren't enough spots for the employees and far enough away that they should be super easy to spot walking. at an industry area with maybe 300. employees each one would drive their car up to their destination, pull a u-turn, then go drive to the closest street, park on it, and walk. i think that i saw maybe 30 people do this between 6 and 9 AM and then they were done.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Came across this cool index of all the SimCity 4 buildings included in the base game: https://simcity4buildings.net/

Really neat seeing the different variations of the same kind of idea between different wealth levels, different stages (like C:S1/2's "levels"), and the four different architectural styles.

SimCity 4 is really hard to match in this respect, they had such a great variation in beautiful buildings included, they went above and beyond. I'm not expecting CO to match what Maxis did with it, although some more texture variation in CS2 buildings would go a long way, everything seems a bit too pristine and not lived in.

Still, I'm not sure they did a good job in C:S2 of having that kind of feel of wealth and density and stuff interacting with what the buildings look like. It feels too easy, in my initial C:S2 save game, of getting huge skyscrapers next to tiny buildings, and lower level buildings still being huge and pristine and luxury looking. I have a few level 3/5 high density office building in my city that would be equivalent to a stage 8 (maximum level) $$$ (max wealth) commercial skyscraper from SimCity 4. I think land value is too easy to bumrush and get to the point where skyscrapers will pop up. In SimCity 4 you really needed to work on building up your region and getting a high degree of wealth for them to show up in your densest and most prosperous parts.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
How do you bumrush land value?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Dr. Clockwork posted:

How do you bumrush land value?

Throw some services (police, fire, hospital) in there, some parks and plazas, and increase education with some schools, and you're there pretty fast. You don't even need that much land value to get going, like 2 or 3 levels is enough to get skyscrapers with the high density office zone. There isn't a big gradient from low level to high level buildings as far as I can tell, the lower level ones are still very tall. SimCity 4 made height more of a function of stage, so to get tall buildings you really needed to work on getting the stages of your areas up.

edit: I booted up my game to give a specific example, a high density office building far from the centre of my 71k people city is 50 storeys tall, it has 3/5 levels, its land value seems to be about 75-80% of the max land value (eyeing from the gradient in the info view, I don't think there's a way to look that up directly), and it has room for 150 employees.

I placed another high density office building even farther out, at the edges of my city next to a landfill and empty fields, where the land value is roughly 30% of the max (eyeing from the gradient). This placed a 40 storey tall office building with a helicopter landing pad on top, with a level of 1/5, and 61 total employees.

For real world context, the new One World Trade Center is 91 storeys, had had 3400 employees working on the 20th to 44th floors alone, when it first opened. That is one of the most expensive pieces of real estate in Manhattan.

Here is a building from SimCity 4 roughly equivalent to what the C:S2 office would be: https://simcity4buildings.net/index.php?lang=eng&page=gewerbe&stage=8&id=415#415

Roughly 25 storeys (SimCity 4 growables didn't have a very high max height, so thats probably as high as you get unless you put down landmark buildings), maximum wealth, maximum development stage, 1455-2907 sims working in there.

An equivalent to a Skylines 3/5 level (stage 4) office, medium wealth ($$): https://simcity4buildings.net/index.php?lang=eng&page=gewerbe&stage=4&id=338#338 , 34 sims, maybe 5-8 storeys.

A level 1/5 equivalent office (stage 1), medium wealth($$): https://simcity4buildings.net/index.php?lang=eng&page=gewerbe&stage=1&id=310#310 , again 34 sims, 2 or 3 storeys.

another edit:

I should say, they seemed to do a decent job of this in the residential homes, as you can see

here for NA low density: https://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylines/comments/17hk29h/i_put_together_every_lowdensity_residential/

here for NA row houses:
https://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylines/comments/17ijev8/every_na_row_house_building_in_cs2/

The higher the level, the more opulent it looks. The buildings look tracks the level/land-value/etc. pretty well.

Offices seem to be the worst at it. Commercial is probably just as bad. Industrial is bare enough that you don't get anything except a hellscape of smokestack heavy industry.

EU mixed use is kind of on the fence: https://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylines/comments/17k1qf8/every_eu_mixed_use_building_in_cs2/

the higher levels do gain some floors and look a little bigger and denser, but I don't think its an easy thing to eyeball how "wealthy" or "developed" a building is. Low density residential on the other hand, very easy to tell, pretty close to SimCity 4, but more clean and sanitized and less character.

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Nov 1, 2023

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

turn off the TV posted:

the nebulous "efficiency" stat that is tied to funding instead of actual service effectiveness is so loving lame and lovely. a baseline elementary school has capacity for 1000 students. if i have 100 students attending it, and the budget is set to 50%, then the efficiency takes a 80-90% penalty despite only using what should be 1/5th of that capacity. it's like that for every service and it makes adjusting the budget basically pointless since a lot of them provide zero mechanical benefit unless fully funded

Every streamer I’ve watched has made the same comment so hopefully the devs get the hint and revert to simple capacity cuts for lowered funding. Especially with all vehicle based services having a vehicle cap per building just cutting that number down with budget constrains should be easy to implement and way more clear for players to comprehend.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Every streamer I’ve watched has made the same comment so hopefully the devs get the hint and revert to simple capacity cuts for lowered funding. Especially with all vehicle based services having a vehicle cap per building just cutting that number down with budget constrains should be easy to implement and way more clear for players to comprehend.

It feels like if you are going to have 90% funding be 90% capacity maybe it should then just scale down automatically?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I have never touched the funding sliders in either game.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

SpaceCadetBob posted:

i don't think that there's really any point in changing it now since they're officially unofficially adding around 2000 buildings in a few weeks, at which point we'll probably have things like schools, clinics and fire stations with reasonable capacities for towns

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Do forest fires only occur when natural disasters is turned on? I just realized that I kept getting a tutorial popup saying a forest fire was happening, but I could never see where the fire was, and it didn't seem to affect anything. I turned off natural disasters when making the new game, so now I'm wondering if thats a random little bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

If it snows in your city and you have a road maintenance depot, the trucks switch from road maintenance vehicles to snow plows :3: