Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
https://twitter.com/martinonyc/status/1719773568207147101

https://twitter.com/martinonyc/status/1719722983676108833

It'd be very funny if the Mets whiffed on Counsell.

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Nov 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Mets are putting on a due diligence theater right now and had Counsell wrapped up months ago, most likely

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah that's cause we're hiring the bassist from the Deftones at the direction of Baggy

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Someone hire Gibby

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Sydin posted:

Artificially limiting the number of pitchers on the roster isn't going to stop guys from throwing max effort or being coached to throw max effort. It's just going to lead to loads of injuries and teams playing a constant pitcher shuffling game with 15-day IL stints.

If you wanna cut K rates then shrink the zone and lower/move back the mound.

question - how can we shrink the zone when the umps don't even know what the zone is to begin with, though? answer - ROBO UMPS NOW

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

maffew buildings posted:

question - how can we shrink the zone when the umps don't even know what the zone is to begin with, though? answer - ROBO UMPS NOW
Baseball successfully shrank the vertical extent of the strike zone in 1969 without any computers or LiDAR or trackman data. They changed the definition in the rule book and told the umpires to adjust, and they did.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Looking at the called strike zones vs what the rules say it is... did they?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Jeff Francouer should be the one who decides what the strike zone is

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

bawfuls posted:

Baseball successfully shrank the vertical extent of the strike zone in 1969 without any computers or LiDAR or trackman data. They changed the definition in the rule book and told the umpires to adjust, and they did.

Not for nothing, and maybe I'm alone here, but given how precise StatCast zone calls are, I'm kinda shocked that umps generally perform as well as they do.

I think there should be some kind of VAR system, perhaps called on by a one-time challenge flag? I dunno.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

absolutely do not introduce challenges to balls and strikes

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Intruder posted:

This is the current system in half of the minor league games. Umps call everything in said game and each team gets (I think) 3 challenges if they believe a call is missed. Hawkeye technology does an instant replay like in tennis, the call is either upheld or overturned, and play moves on in 30 seconds or less.

I personally hate challenges myself. Just saying that they've already done this in baseball and is likely to come up in the MLB soon.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

It's either challenges or robo-umps, we are gonna have to pick one

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Robo umps in that case. If you're doing to do it, go all the way instead of having a team run out of challenges then strike out to end the game on a ridiculous call in the 9th

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

It is baffling to me that people want to do this!

Just let the system call every pitch! Why do we need to add a gamification to getting strike calls right? Why do we want to add more downtime to games?? There is a correct call for each pitch, so let the most reliable method make that call and be done with it.

What is gained by doing a weird challenge system?

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Nov 1, 2023

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

yeah if you believe the technology is good enough to overrule the ump then it's good enough to make every call

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Umps are cops and so I'm all for anything that gives them less power.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

A ball/strike challenge system seems like chaos to me.

How far away could we possibly be from umpires getting augmented reality glasses that just superimpose the strike zone? I've got to think we have the tech now, and that might be a good enough compromise.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Bandire posted:

A ball/strike challenge system seems like chaos to me.

How far away could we possibly be from umpires getting augmented reality glasses that just superimpose the strike zone? I've got to think we have the tech now, and that might be a good enough compromise.

Doesnt' seem necessary. They can just have an earpiece that tells them ball or strike and they make the call. Of course, you'd probably have Angel Hernandez refusing to let some machine tell him what to do and going his own way

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Compromise with what? Umpire egos?

We know that what we are asking human umpires to do is extremely difficult. The best in the world still get it wrong what, like 8% of the time?

Just let the machine do it and get over yourselves. You still get to be Mr Baseball Cop on the field and feel important. You still make a bunch of judgement calls, get to eject players and managers, etc. You still get a cop union and unheard of job security.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

I don't get it, if the premise of "we have a system that is better than any human at determining balls/strikes" is accepted, why not just use it universally and not require any human in the process at all? If you love punchout calls, I suppose you can do the "feed the call to an earpiece" method since we'll still need umpires to do the immediate on-the-field calls for things like safe calls at home, etc. But otherwise just take that away from the umpires entirely.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Because umps see their job security and the power of their union slipping away in that case is what I presume

Reduce the importance of the position and have it all done electronically and anyone can do it

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

There’s a bunch of other judgment calls that a human umpire is required for and which are near-impossible to automate. Their jobs are secure, at least as long as these geriatrics have left anyway.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Don't get me wrong, I am completely in favor of fully automated strike zone. I just think there's a lot of internal inertia to overcome to actually get there any time soon, and most of it is placating umpires.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Human umps calling balls and strikes are the manual transmission of baseball.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Manuals are a lot of fun, pisspoor analogy

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Tony Phillips posted:

Manual transmission is how you get the highest performance though!

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Let the manager have 1 ball / strike challenge, but thats it. They don't get another just because a call got overturned.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Get rid of strikezone outline in broadcasts and people will stop obsessing over every single missed strike/ball call. Robo umps belong in the trash.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Popete posted:

Get rid of strikezone outline in broadcasts and people will stop obsessing over every single missed strike/ball call. Robo umps belong in the trash.

Ya this. I don't give a poo poo about robo umps, just get rid of the actual super bad umps

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Tony Phillips posted:

I used to drive a stick, I miss it, was much better in every situation except bumper to bumper traffic.

I do like punchouts, but the earpiece solution is an easy one. It all makes too much sense for MLB to actually implement though. They’ll gently caress it up worse than the extra innings ghostrunner.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Popete posted:

Get a partnership with umpscorecards and gradually morph the on-air outline into the crazy jellybeans as the game goes along.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Popete posted:

Absolutely this. I've grown to really detest the increasing amount of technology in human sports.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Poque posted:

Get a partnership with umpscorecards and gradually morph the on-air outline into the crazy jellybeans as the game goes along.

Also have a constant display of it in the ballpark to the ump knows in real time how badly he's loving up

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The Manfred Man is the exact opposite if a ghostrunner and after thousands of hours of wiffleball I will die on this hill so fight me

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bawfuls posted:

Just let the system call every pitch! Why do we need to add a gamification to getting strike calls right? Why do we want to add more downtime to games?? There is a correct call for each pitch, so let the most reliable method make that call and be done with it.

publicly embarrassing bad umps even more than usual

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

bawfuls posted:

The single worst aspect of baseball right now is the pause after numerous plays to show whatever bench coach on a phone to see if they should challenge the call on the field. The focus isn't on whether the call is right or wrong, but rather, if they think they can get a favorable outcome by challenging it.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
No to robo umps and yes I still drive a stick shift.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Popete posted:

Strike zone outlines have been in baseball for thirty years.

If you want people to stop complaining about baseball outcomes, disallow betting. It's the thing that has changed.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Getting to put your finger up like Archer while he's taking a drink and making everyone wait to see if you're going to challenge is lame. It's supposed to be something obvious enough you challenge immediately. That's why I support eliminating challenges where you see if a baserunner popped off the base for a millisecond

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

the Padres might literally be broke
https://x.com/EvanDrellich/status/1719822257118384510?s=20