Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Had a dude stealing handsigns in the most tracable way possible

Had heard about that but assumed there was something else—no way that actually gets you blacklisted from the nfl, especially a big (white) name like Harbaugh. Now if he actually ever decides to come back that’s a different discussion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Docjowles posted:

You could argue that this at least has a silver lining. I mean yes ideally you do not do shitlord HR-actionable behavior in the first place. And it must have been real fuckin bad to ruffle feathers in an NFL workplace. But it almost always gets swept under the rug, unless it is forced out by literal congressional hearings like Snyder. Or these bombshells ESPN etc keep dropping about how awful it is to work for the Cardinals. At least someone in Chicago might give a poo poo about their people?

Not on the field, obviously. But in other regards!

At least the Bears seem to be attempting to handle it and get rid of problematic coaches. I wonder if there is any connection to the Chicago Blackhawks colossal mishandling of the Kyle Beach situation.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Davis likes to say he invented them but it was actually Frank Pupello, the equipment manager for the Tampa Bay Bucs that created the first one in 1980.

https://uni-watch.com/2010/04/21/uni-watch-profiles-frank-pupello/

hilariously on brand failson behavior from Mark to think he deserves credit for a middling contribution that still belongs to someone else

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Pontius Pilate posted:

Had heard about that but assumed there was something else—no way that actually gets you blacklisted from the nfl, especially a big (white) name like Harbaugh. Now if he actually ever decides to come back that’s a different discussion

It does kind of being into question Michigan's resuragnce, especially considering they lost in the playoff to the one team they didn't steal signs from, TCU. He was riding the college hotseat before then. It's not like he's a hotshot OC or anything, so I can get it. What does he really bring to the table at this point?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
If you're mostly an NFL viewer, look into the Michigan stuff. It's the type of dumb and hilarious you could only get from college football.

It was basically the insane sign-stealing scheme of one crazy Michigan superfan to end up becoming the Michigan head coach, according to his manifesto.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Pontius Pilate posted:

Michigan had a guy (named Conor Stallions, really) on program who was paying people to go to games of teams that Michigan was going to play or might play in the playoffs and having them record signals from behind the sideline. Stallions was seen on the the Michigan sideline next to both OCs and DCs at various times with charts of opponents signals.

He also may have snuck into the CMU sideline disguised as a CMU coach so he could try to steal signals from Michigan State when CMU and MSU played.

Also he paid all of his co-conspirators via Venmo and left his activity timeline public.

It’s extremely hilarious but also a really bad look for Harbaugh if he’s implicated.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Below is a timeline detailing the misguided actions of Josh McDaniels that led to the launch of joshmcdanielssucks.com

https://web.archive.org/web/20150207035315/http://www.joshmcdanielssucks.com/timeline/

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

it's hilarious and brutal if you read it and compare it to his actions in Las Vegas

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Michigan had a guy (named Conor Stallions, really) on program who was paying people to go to games of teams that Michigan was going to play or might play in the playoffs and having them record signals from behind the sideline. Stallions was seen on the the Michigan sideline next to both OCs and DCs at various times with charts of opponents signals.

He also may have snuck into the CMU sideline disguised as a CMU coach so he could try to steal signals from Michigan State when CMU and MSU played.

Also he paid all of his co-conspirators via Venmo and left his activity timeline public.

It’s extremely hilarious but also a really bad look for Harbaugh if he’s implicated.

Yeah the whole thing is very college football

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

sharknado slashfic posted:

Yeah the whole thing is very college football

It doesn’t involve the systemic cover up of rape either. Most feel good college football scandal in a long time.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Let's not gloss over the fact that the guy wrote a fuckin 600-page manifesto detailing his longterm plan to rule Michigan, like he wants to be the Frank Underwood of college football.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Lmao

Funny story, great concise reporting from YOLO, and what a conclusion lol

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
It may also include video camera sunglasses

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Rectal Placenta posted:

It may also include video camera sunglasses

https://twitter.com/LateKickJosh/status/1719492426182598889

Every football fan owes it to themselves to follow this story.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
lol that is indeed all hilarious and I don’t follow college ball too much, so thank you, but still think if Other Harbaugh wanted to return to the nfl he’d find a team desperate enough

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Benne posted:

Let's not gloss over the fact that the guy wrote a fuckin 600-page manifesto detailing his longterm plan to rule Michigan, like he wants to be the Frank Underwood of college football.

Or that he went to Annapolis as a student. And while there he seems to have stolen data on recruits from the football staff which he seems to have used in the insane manifesto. For some reason that part cracks me up.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
Congrats Raiders fans!

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

YOLOsubmarine posted:

:lol: this is incredible stuff holy poo poo

Just in general, if you ever find yourself typing up a 600 page “manifesto”, it’s probably time to close the computer and slowly back away

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
The NFL will likely uphold any suspension the NCAA gives Harbaugh, but beyond that I don't think they will try to stop anyone from hiring him. If he got suspended for a year or more though, that might cause a major issue.

In any case, Mark currently has a shitload of money and a lot of straight up bad times wrapped up in big name coaches that left prematurely. I suspect the next hire will be more of a lesser known up and comer that isn't going to be the highest paid coach out of the next hiring cycle.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

That story is really funny but mostly because making it illegal to “steal” signals is stupid as gently caress so this weirdo has to go absurd lengths to do something it’s ridiculous to even try to stop

capncthulhu
Oct 4, 2021

Mystic Stylez posted:

Below is a timeline detailing the misguided actions of Josh McDaniels that led to the launch of joshmcdanielssucks.com

https://web.archive.org/web/20150207035315/http://www.joshmcdanielssucks.com/timeline/

Man I knew McDaniels was bad in Denver but I had forgotten HOW bad he was. The Tebow stuff alone should have gotten his rear end canned.
You have to wonder what he would have done to Luck on the Colts. Would he have run him out too? By all accounts Luck was a solid dude and well-liked player. McDaniels alienating him might have caused Luck to retire even earlier.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

mcdaniels was such an rear end in a top hat in denver that literally jay cutler was like gently caress that guy

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Is the illegal thing this dude did going to college football games with a camera? Because that seems dumb.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

he broke a very stupid ncaa rule but it owns because he was so dumb about it and also because harbaugh is very annoying

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

His name is actually Conor Stalions my man is missing a letter in both names

e: or is it Connor Stalions??

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Gorson posted:

His name is actually Conor Stalions my man is missing a letter in both names

e: or is it Connor Stalions??

it's connor, you just got owned by the Dumb Name Police

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

Mystic Stylez posted:

I like that you can take a bunch of these blurbs and just plug in the appropriate raiders player without having to change anything else and it's still accurate

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Examples of how caught Harbaugh is. It's laughable.

https://twitter.com/ThrowBackFrog/status/1717175453830553789?s=19

https://twitter.com/Juicewag/status/1716550090892902489?s=19

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
WEEK 9 EMERGENCY UPDATE

Lol, we got to the fireworks factory a bit earlier than I expected.

COOL

Sean McDermott, Buffalo Bills
Mike McDaniel, Miami Dolphins
Robert Saleh, New York Jets
John Harbaugh, Baltimore Ravens
Mike Tomlin, Pittsburgh Steelers
Zac Taylor, Cincinnati Bengals
Kevin Stefanski, Cleveland Browns
Doug Pederson, Jacksonville Jaguars
Mike Vrabel, Tennessee Titans
Andy Reid, Kansas City Chiefs
Nick Sirianni, Philadelphia Eagles
Brian Daboll, New York Giants
Mike McCarthy, Dallas Cowboys
Dan Campbell, Detroit Lions
Kevin O’Connell, Minnesota Vikings
Matt LaFleur, Green Bay Packers
Todd Bowles, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Dennis Allen, New Orleans Saints
Kyle Shanahan, San Francisco 49ers
Pete Carroll, Seattle Seahawks
Sean McVay, Arizona Cardinals

I keep going back and forth on McCarthy, and decided I have nothing new to say at the moment. As always, we’ll check back in January.

LaFleur is on notice with the Packers playing like a bottom-10 team, and Jordan Love doesn’t even look close to the answer. I’m not quite ready to heat him up, though – this was always expected to be a transition year, with one of the youngest rosters in football. If they don’t show real development down the stretch then maybe we’ll talk.

Allen and Bowles inspire nothing in me. These are boring teams, who still have a chance in the Big South Conference NFC South. Yawn.

FIRST-YEAR COACHES

DeMeco Ryans, Houston Texans
Shane Steichen, Indianapolis Colts
Sean Payton, Denver Broncos
Frank Reich, Carolina Panthers
Jonathan Gannon, Arizona Cardinals

The Colts are still playing feisty football without Anthony Richardson, which bodes well for Steichen’s tenure. Reich finally got his first win, I really like what Ryans is doing in Houston, and even the Broncos seem to have a pulse again. Not a bad year for this group.

MIlD

Bill Belichick, New England Patriots – I did my last update before news came out about Belichick’s new contract. It’s more of a short-term raise than a real extension, and reportedly doesn’t go past 2024, so there isn’t much stopping Kraft from making a big decision if the team doesn’t improve. And the team is very much not improving. A bad offense got worse with Kendrick Bourne done for the year, and Mac Jones still looks mid as gently caress. One of the least fun watches in the league.

Arthur Smith, Atlanta Falcons – Smith finally gave up on Ridder, it’s now Heinicke Time in the ATL. Whether that saves their season (and his job) remains to be seen. Heinicke is fun to watch but insanely streaky, and has some bad turnover sprees. They might be okay with that if it opens up the offense more than Ridder, who combined the worst habits of Sam Bradford with early-49ers Alex Smith. Somehow they still lead the division at 4-4, but there won’t be much margin for error going forward.

MODERATE

Brandon Staley, Los Angeles Chargers – Beating up on the aimless Bears was fun, but it’s still hard to see a path forward for this team. They’re well behind the pace at 3-4, and the division is basically out of reach already. Missing the playoffs would almost certainly be curtains for Staley, so it’s time to start stacking wins.

SPICY HOT

Ron Rivera, Washington Commanders – Yeah, I’m ready to do my first Spicy Hots of the season. The Commanders essentially waved the white flag on 2023, selling off Montez Sweat and Chase Young for pretty modest returns given their draft pedigree. The defense just never lived up to expectations, and for a coach with Rivera’s background, that’s a bigger problem than Sam Howell being mid. At 61 years old, it’s fair to wonder if we’re seeing the final eight games of Rivera’s career.

Matt Eberflus, Chicago Bears – Not much new to report on the field – Tyson Bagent in primetime went about as well as you’d expect. The Fields injury gives Eberflus a slight out (he was admittedly playing better before that), but only a little. The bigger concern is that his staff keeps making news for the wrong reasons. This week they fired their RB coach for “workplace conduct,” the second coach to get dismissed this season for similar reasons. On one hand, it’s good that the Bears are taking swift action and not sweeping it under the rug like most NFL teams would do. On the other hand … man, this can’t keep happening under your watch. Perception is reality, and right now the perception is that Eberflus is asleep at the wheel. Even in the most cynical, results-oriented mindset of “they only got caught because they’re not winning,” then welp, that’s the problem! It really doesn’t feel like there’s an adult in the room, and that’s going to doom Eberflus long before the on-field results will.

Welcome back, Vince, you crazy rapist you

Josh McDaniels, Las Vegas Raiders (interim coach: Antonio Pierce)

The Dutch Boy actually did it. Dropping the news at 10 p.m. Pacific on Halloween night is funny in itself, and I hope Mark Davis was still in his Lightning McQueen costume when he made the phone call. At any rate, McDaniels lit another franchise on fire, in a massive surprise to literally nobody. The Raiders are now in deep, deep poo poo. They don’t have a quarterback, of the present or future. They have zero star power outside of Davante Adams and Maxx Crosby, both of whom could be on the block this offseason. And Davis is on the hook for something like $50-60 million for two coaches who are no longer on the team.

In a bit of meta trivia, I believe this is only the second time a coach I had in “Cool” got fired midseason. The last guy who did that was, uh, also on the Raiders, though in my defense the Gruden firing came out of nowhere and was for non-football reasons. I mostly thought McDaniels would ride it out for now and start next year on the hot seat, but by all accounts the relationship deteriorated real fast, and so this caught me a bit off guard. Doesn’t make it any less funny, of course.

As for the interim coach, hey, let’s remember a guy! I remember really liking Pierce on those 2000s Giants defenses, he did a good job complementing the pass rush in front of him. We’ll see if he has any juice in the big seat.

Benne fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Nov 2, 2023

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

DeimosRising posted:

That story is really funny but mostly because making it illegal to “steal” signals is stupid as gently caress so this weirdo has to go absurd lengths to do something it’s ridiculous to even try to stop

It’s not illegal to steal signs but it is illegal to go to absurd lengths to do so. If you can decode signs during the course of the game by watching the other sideline that’s fine. If you can decode them from broadcast footage that’s fine. What is illegal is to run a scouting operation that involves going to opponents games and recoding them, which is exactly what this guy did.

It’s a rule that’s meant to promote some level of parity by preventing big programs from spending huge money on in person scouting programs that other schools can’t hope to match.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The Connor Stalions scandal is basically a low-tech Spygate.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

The tweet about Daniels dressing up as Mark for Halloween, Mark saying we need to get PF Changs to "complete the look" and then encouraging him to read the fortune cookie that says "you're fired" is too loving funny to not he true.

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:

Docjowles posted:

Just in general, if you ever find yourself not typing up a 600 page “manifesto”, it’s probably time to close the computer and slowly back away

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

a neat cape posted:

And you actually believe one of those is going to be Bill belichick

Me too, yeah

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Florio was apparently making the rounds with a theory that the Commies would try and trade for Belichick in the offseason.
https://twitter.com/mikekadlick/status/1719789032022929659?s=20

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011

Diva Cupcake posted:

Florio was apparently making the rounds with a theory that the Commies would try and trade for Belichick in the offseason.

While pretty drat funny, true comedy would be Belichick leaving the Pats, going to the Bucs and winning a Super Bowl, just like Touchdown Tom.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Achernar posted:

While pretty drat funny, true comedy would be Belichick leaving the Pats, going to the Bucs and winning a Super Bowl, just like Touchdown Tom.

I'm ok with Baker Mayfield getting a ring this way.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Full quote outside of clicking a See More link:

quote:

I heard something over the weekend and I've been trying to think of the best way and the best time to talk about it, and it's not a 'report'.

Look, when you're plugged into everything that's happening, and talk to a lot of different people, you hear things. And you hear certain things that make you say, 'Whoa, hmm, that's interesting.'

And what I heard over the weekend from someone I know and someone I trust that made me say, 'Whoa, that's interesting' is the possibility that the end result for the Commanders is a trade with the #Patriots for Bill Belichick.

And it makes sense when you think about it. And it puts in a new context that leak. That strange Sunday morning splash report about 'Bill Belichick in the off-season signed a lucrative multiyear contract with the Patriots.'

My first thought was: 'That's Belichick's camp getting out the idea that this guy ain't gonna be fired during the season.'

The other explanation for it is, it's the Patriots getting out the idea as owners throughout the league begin the process of figuring out who they want to hire next year.

It's a reminder: 'You're not just going to be able to go hire Bill Belichick. If you want him, you gotta deal with us. We have his contractual rights for multiple years. We're not gonna fire him. We're gonna wait for somebody to call us up and offer us something for him. We're gonna get back what we gave the Jets to get him. We're gonna get value for this asset, even if we are done with it, we're not just gonna roll it out to the curb. We're gonna make you knock on the door and buy it from us.'

So that made sense. And when you throw in yesterday's developments, No. 1: the Commanders clearly in, we're preparing for the future without our current key employees mode. And No. 2: Josh McDaniels is available again. All the more reason to go get Bill because you can bring Josh McDaniels in as the offensive coordinator because nobody's gonna hire him to be a head coach next year.

The bands back together. We're off to Washington and here we go with Belichick and McDaniels. Hell, maybe they'll bring back that Patricia and off, they go with the Patriot Way...

It's not a report, but it's definitely something that is making its way around the grapevine.

That is the National Football League network of insiders and employees and coaches and others who talk about stuff. That's something they're talking about.

TL;DR Ian Rapoport wasn't wrong when he said the extension only added context to (aka didn't/wouldn't stop) the smoke around the Belichick stuff; news of the extension was kept quiet and either only came out from Bill's camp leaking it because Bill knows they want him gone now and wants to make it clear they wasted money on the way out, or from the Pats leaking it because they desperately want compensation for getting rid of him. Either way every team's talking about it in some capacity now, in a league where (as has almost always been the case) where there's smoke there's fire. See also the Niners getting rid of Harbaugh, which a fair amount of people here desperately tried to argue wasn't/couldn't be happening right up to the hour it was finally announced

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Now I'm imaging the Pats signing McDaniels for a coordinator position this year only to trade Bill to Washington in the offseason and promoting McDaniels to HC and suddenly I can't stop giggling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Sounds like TAMPERING!!!!!!