Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

MightyJoe36 posted:

I actually had this happen last year. I started giving out full-size candy bars after COVID and my house got popular. I had box from Amazon with Three Musketeers, Milky Way, Twix, and Snickers bars. I let the kids pick one.

One kid comes up, looks at the box and says, "I don't like any of those." At first I thought I misheard him. So I told him to pick one. Again, "I don't like any of those." The kids behind him were like "Dude, just pick one." Finally he looks up at me and says, "Do you have any others?" I had to exercise a lot of self-restraint but ended up just saying, "Nope, sorry." So the kid walks off with nothing.

I don't know...at least the other kids were thrilled.
I've seen this scenario play out when I was a kid. It usually ended with the kid being called ungrateful and being told to not return. Everybody who saw that got an important lesson that beggers shouldn't be choosers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

oldpainless posted:

This is the world liberals want

more like oldcavityless

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Kind of a dumb pet peeve I guess, but Freddy Krueger was always a child murderer, but in the reboot they also made him a child molester. Now if I see anything Freddy Krueger related I'm just, ugh, that's gross, get that out of here.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Freddy rocks. The remake sucks.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
We had Halloween music playing at work for most of October, and Freddy Krueger showed up in a couple of rap songs. The obvious one that everyone immediately thinks of is Will Smith's "Nightmare On My Street," but he also had a song with the Fat Boys ("Are You Ready For Freddy?"). It's so bad. At least the Fresh Prince song is just an 80s Fresh Prince song with a line or two from Freddy here and there (Fresh Prince songs from that era are all pretty much identical, so even if you haven't heard this specific song, you've heard it before).

There were so many terrible Halloween novelty songs made over the years. At least I also got to hear "Every Day Is Halloween" by Ministry and "Bela Lugosi's Dead" by Bauhaus along with all the terrible stuff, and stuff that really stretched the limits of what should be considered Halloween music. "Witchcraft" by Frank Sinatra is not a Halloween song! I'm not complaining about having to hear it, because I like Sinatra, and it was a nice momentary reprieve from all the other stuff.

Someone floated the idea that they just set up an algorithm to pull any songs with keywords like "spooky," "witch," "hell," "devil," etc. and it really does seem like that's the case. There certainly wasn't any human editing it down to remove obvious bad choices.

"Season of the Witch" (multiple versions) is fine (also it's a good song); "A Pirate's Life For Me" by Bluto from a Popeye cartoon should not be allowed (but it was).

Thankfully, now we're back to our normal music (mostly 70s/80s/90s sirius stations) before hitting another big peeve for retail workers everywhere. I'm not even gonna say it, but if you work in retail, I'm sorry for making you think about it before its time. :)

Fifty Farts has a new favorite as of 00:27 on Nov 1, 2023

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I pity anyone who works in retail as it is. The next two months are going to be a living hell. Sorry in advance. :smithcloud:

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

In recent years I've noticed people increasingly write "women" when referring to a singular woman. But I very rarely see people write "men" when referring to a singular man. It's basically the same word so why do people only write women wrong.

E.g. "A women was selling seashells on the sea shore."

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

MightyJoe36 posted:

I actually had this happen last year. I started giving out full-size candy bars after COVID and my house got popular. I had box from Amazon with Three Musketeers, Milky Way, Twix, and Snickers bars. I let the kids pick one.

One kid comes up, looks at the box and says, "I don't like any of those." At first I thought I misheard him. So I told him to pick one. Again, "I don't like any of those." The kids behind him were like "Dude, just pick one." Finally he looks up at me and says, "Do you have any others?" I had to exercise a lot of self-restraint but ended up just saying, "Nope, sorry." So the kid walks off with nothing.

I don't know...at least the other kids were thrilled.

Our Halloween hands-outs went well, but we had more than a few older kids. I am fine to give teens candy, but when you show up in a hockey jersey with a cowboy hat and don't have a bag, I am already a tiny bit miffed, but when I see the bar I know I gave you on the sidewalk in the morning I start to want to set up a limbo stick that says, "You must be at least this short to get candy". Goddamn teens. :bahgawd:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Give the teens candy. They’re kids who cares.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

As long as they're not doing mischief, are respectful, and at least make an attempt at a costume, I'll give them candy.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Yeah, everyone who comes to our door gets candy. I don't care about age, costume quality, whatever. By the end of the night my husband and I are giving out handfuls to whoever shows up anyway, because we always buy too much.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

When me and my friends were like 16 we were having a party on Halloween and the conversation shifted to how lovely it was that we couldn't trick or treat anymore. Like most of us had jobs, we weren't kids anymore and it was kind of depressing. One of us said gently caress it, we should go trick or treating. Our costumes might suck but this might genuinely be our last chance since it definitely wouldn't fly when we got even older. So we went trick or treating in half baked costumes like that early episode of King of the Hill.

It's cringey and I'm probably giving candy to some jerks but if even one of them is just depressed about growing up then they can have some drat candy

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
The last time I went trick or treating I was like eleven, and my friend and I didn't dress up. We just had a paper bag and went around doing the trick or treat thing. Not a single person asked what our costumes were supposed to be or why we weren't wearing one.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

My friends and I went trick or treating well into our teens. We just told funny jokes or talked about dad bands with the dads and it seemed to earn us candy approval

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I gave them candy. My peeve is they tossed it on the ground.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Indolent Bastard posted:

I gave them candy. My peeve is they tossed it on the ground.

I would be stoked if Lonely Island trick or treated at my house.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My dad's not a phone!

DUH!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
"You can't park there" is apparently a new funny catchphrase.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

It's "can't park there, mate"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkjnafI9Al8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfNnc68uxzI

stringless has a new favorite as of 17:14 on Nov 2, 2023

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
In the admittedly extremely tight train station car park yesterday, someone parked their car so close to mine that I literally couldn't get in; i had to clamber across from the passenger side. Just the cherry on top of my already lovely commute (which included missing the fast train, but being just on time enough to see it driving away, and then having to wait another 15 mins for the slower train which itself takes half an hour longer to do the same journey).

So my peeve is commuting, office working, and people who are both selfish and lack spatial awareness.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

The Perfect Element posted:

In the admittedly extremely tight train station car park yesterday, someone parked their car so close to mine that I literally couldn't get in; i had to clamber across from the passenger side. Just the cherry on top of my already lovely commute (which included missing the fast train, but being just on time enough to see it driving away, and then having to wait another 15 mins for the slower train which itself takes half an hour longer to do the same journey).

So my peeve is commuting, office working, and people who are both selfish and lack spatial awareness.

Give the gift of two flat tyres. Amazon: Valve Core Tool 1 Pcs Single Head Valve Core Remover.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

This coffee shop has played nothing but Creed songs for the last half hour and refuse to turn it up despite my numerous requests.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Fifty Farts posted:

We have Sirius radio at work and they're currently playing a Halloween music station but some of these songs are really stretching to fit the theme. "Bela Lugosi's Dead" and "Every Day is Halloween"? Totally appropriate. "Sympathy for the Devil"? Sure, I guess that works. "I Want Candy" by Bow-wow-wow? Okay, trick or treating = candy. Its a stretch but i can see it. "Runnin' with the Devil" by Van Halen? "Zombie" by the Cranberries? "Day-o" by Harry Belafonte?! (That one is because it was in Beetlejuice)

My theory is that someone at Sirius just searched for anything with Halloween-ish words, threw together a playlist, and called it a day.

"Witchcraft" by Frank Sinatra?! Really?

There was a tweet going round about this and how hearing a mournful song about intergenerational violence in Ireland between The Monster Mash and Thriller sure is an experience.

My current peeve is people castigating others for sharing fun stuff after sharing awareness posts on social media.

I don't know, you need to learn to compartmentalise or you'd become incredibly depressed and doomer-brained. Suffering some sort of psychic penance won't make anything better.

If someone is doing what they reasonably can, and isn't just posting because it's the done thing, then I think its okay if they also share that they are enjoying a coffee or painted a new Warhammer man or whatever.

Disco Pope has a new favorite as of 17:15 on Nov 3, 2023

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

oldpainless posted:

This coffee shop has played nothing but Creed songs for the last half hour and refuse to turn it up despite my numerous requests.

Lol

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

lovely tape and how a lot of stores that just have some tape somewhere will just carry the utterly worst, shittiest tape imaginable.
And then you buy it and think maybe it'll be alright this time, and then ugh the loving tape splits apart into 3 different pieces while you pull it off

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I've been waiting like a month and a half for something to get shipped to me. It arrived Tuesday. Somehow, the mail person put it in the "outgoing" or the general building mailbox. No one has a key to either of those boxes.

I managed to intercept the mail person this morning and they assured me they'd put it in the right box.

They did not.

update: managed to intercept the mail person that has the route that hits the other side of the street in the afternoon. They were very helpful, but the package is just loving gone now lmao what on earth

stringless has a new favorite as of 23:57 on Nov 3, 2023

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Putting Spotify on radio mode and after the one russian song we selected everything is in ukrainian

I get it Spotify, I get it, but the truth is, sometimes we’re just tryna listen to music in a language we understand and not make a geopolitical statement. This doesn’t make me support Ukraine more, it just makes me like you less

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Or is the algorithm just stupid and not understand the difference?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I find it annoying how a lot of you goons will fuckin stumble over each other just to be one of the first two or three people to respond to a post with the same image or catchphrase.

Bring back the Good Ol Days when catchphrase saturation got probes :mad:

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The problem with so many modern commercials is that they come across like a fiftysomething corporate guy awkwardly trying to prove he's "in with the kids" by trying (and failing) to co-opt ironic and meta internet humor.

Sell me a product or shut the gently caress up. I don't care how clever and funny you think you are.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Yeah bring back whatever this was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UktwtnfdaU

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

The problem with so many modern commercials is that they come across like a fiftysomething corporate guy awkwardly trying to prove he's "in with the kids" by trying (and failing) to co-opt ironic and meta internet humor.

Sell me a product or shut the gently caress up. I don't care how clever and funny you think you are.

The Verizon(?) one a few years back was kind of funny. "I'm stickin' it to the man." "Sir, you are the man."

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

:yeah:

"It has a taste like it was air conditioned". :lol:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Now with Freon!

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

oldpainless posted:

I'm sure they would if you'd stop belting out ♫ can you make it higghheerr ♫ from the corner like you're manic

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

This one from back in the 90s was pretty solid :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0zu1-NbbPk

BOOTY-ADE has a new favorite as of 16:05 on Nov 6, 2023

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Open app, app remembers it was in a submenu, options, or similar.
You swipe back, app closes instead of going back to the main menu/front page of the app.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Delivery drivers who don't ring the doorbell. How am I supposed to know my food's arrived if you just sit it on the ground and leave? Fifteen minutes later when I think "That food's taking a while" and check the delivery status only to find out that it's been out there going cold the whole time is not the ideal way to enjoy a meal.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I never rang the doorbell because
A: I don’t know your house situation and people have babies sleeping or something. And that’s the beauty of leave it at the door

B: often I’d do later deliveries and I’m not ringing the doorbell at 12am

C: every single time I did ring people look at you like you’re weird for ringing because they didn’t bother to check to add “leave at the door” so they think I’m some kind of freak because I had to ring your door bell to finish your drat delivery or I can’t proceed.

And D: I hate when people ring my door bell it’s loud and disruptive I don’t want to interact with you. Leave my food. Move on

I also watch the door dash app to see where the driver is and if on the off chance something goes wrong and I don’t get notified I just keep checking the door. I don’t wait an hour and then find my food all cold lol

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

CelticPredator posted:

I never rang the doorbell because
A: I don’t know your house situation and people have babies sleeping or something. And that’s the beauty of leave it at the door
I have a doorbell on purpose. If I didn't want a doorbell I'd remove or disable it.

CelticPredator posted:

B: often I’d do later deliveries and I’m not ringing the doorbell at 12am
Why not? I asked you to come to my house. I am expecting you to let me know when you get here. Pizza delivery drivers have been doing this for loving decades - and still do.

CelticPredator posted:

C: every single time I did ring people look at you like you’re weird for ringing because they didn’t bother to check to add “leave at the door” so they think I’m some kind of freak because I had to ring your door bell to finish your drat delivery or I can’t proceed.
That sounds like it's a real hardship for you.

CelticPredator posted:

And D: I hate when people ring my door bell it’s loud and disruptive I don’t want to interact with you. Leave my food. Move on
Disable the doorbell then? Take out the battery or whatever. It's not rocket science.

CelticPredator posted:

I also watch the door dash app to see where the driver is and if on the off chance something goes wrong and I don’t get notified I just keep checking the door. I don’t wait an hour and then find my food all cold lol
I usually use MenuLog, which generally gives a half-hour or so window for the delivery time (and it often arrives outside that window anyway) and frequently sends the "your food's on its way" message well after the food has already arrived and been eaten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
Zero people ever use my doorbell but they seem to have no problems with punching my door hard enough that it makes dishes in the drying rack fall over.