Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I will not deny that the Pixel 7/7 Pro has a lens that isn't the best with chromatic aberration at the edges. That said, a lot of this is due to the shallow depth of field due to the larger sensor and wide open aperture. When you focus close, the edges of the frame are proportionally a lot further away than the center. That can absolutely magnify existing chromatic aberration issues.

If you want to test the quality and sharpness of the lens, the best way is to take a picture of a patterned/textured surface at a long enough distance away that all of it is within the depth of field of the camera. If the issue with with the lens, it should be even more apparent there and then it's RMA time.

I tried to test this with my 12 Pro MAX, but the minimum focus distance is so bad that the proportionally smaller sensor didn't show many issues when things were far enough away to be in focus at all.

This is why all the flagships use the ultrawide for the macro, but the lack of autofocus on the base 7 UW lens kinda leaves it out for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Your phone camera absolutely has a minimum distance and any photo inside that distance is going to look worse/be unfocused. I worked on some check scanning/photo apps and if you're taking a photo less than 12 inches away you're likely to get a blurry shot.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yeah it's definitely a closer shot. Still amazed it's that crappy. Oh well. Glad to know it's normal.

Is that poor close performance a trade off for something else that makes it worth it? Or just a limitation of the physical tight space?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Long shot, but I migrated my wife from her P6Pro to a P8Pro and it's been awful. Something is going on that constantly kills the focused process and I can't seem to find it. The fact that it's always the focused process makes me suspect it's something that came from the migration and not a hardware issue.

Best I found for similar stories on Reddit was nuke and start fresh and it'll go away. Or install updates, but I've done all of those and it still is an issue.

I'll try that next but a solution that is quicker would be nice.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

FunOne posted:

Long shot, but I migrated my wife from her P6Pro to a P8Pro and it's been awful. Something is going on that constantly kills the focused process and I can't seem to find it. The fact that it's always the focused process makes me suspect it's something that came from the migration and not a hardware issue.

Best I found for similar stories on Reddit was nuke and start fresh and it'll go away. Or install updates, but I've done all of those and it still is an issue.

I'll try that next but a solution that is quicker would be nice.

Pick a specific app you can reproduce this for. Go to Settings, Apps, scroll to your chosen app and check out its App battery usage information. Make sure it's not Restricted.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

BonoMan posted:

Is that poor close performance a trade off for something else that makes it worth it? Or just a limitation of the physical tight space?

It's a tradeoff of having a large sensor and a wide aperture (to let in more light).

Think of the plane that's in focus as more of a half spheroid shape as it extends outward from the lens. Everything that intersects with the shape is in focus. Smaller sensors can have a shorter focal distance which allows the depth of field (the plane of the spheroid) to be thicker.

As the subject moves further from the camera, the depth of field increases, so more is in focus.

For a case like this, what helps is holding the item further away and using the 2x digital zoom to crop in on the sensor.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Ragingsheep posted:

InTune/Company Portal disappears for me from the personal side once the work profile is setup correctly

Does your company's IT department have a guide you can follow to set things up correctly? Mine does and it was fairly straightforward.
it does and it was not helpful. i ended up opening a ticket. the support guy walked me through the process which is install all the work stuff as personal apps including intune, but not actually set it up. if i run intune and try to turn on the managed stuff it fails and apparently that's just how my multinational employer does things so i'm not going to use any of that poo poo. thanks everyone for the help

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Oi. Yeah. They're not doing MDM right, then.

The whole point of the Android Work profile is to segregate your work stuff from your personal stuff, so that if/when they need to send the poison pill, it doesn't nuke your whole device.

It sounds like the way they're setting it up won't even make the wipe stuff work right, anyway, let alone nuking the whole device.

Edit: The way it *should work* - Install InTune Company Portal. Log in with work credentials and ack 2FA. Android Work profile gets set up and makes a Play Store available. Install Outlook. Log in to Outlook. Outlook takes device admin permissions including remote wipe (just for the Android Work profile). Install other apps.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
This is why I use a cheap iphone as a work phone! Nothing work related on the personal phone so that when someone fucks up it doesn't wreck my stuff.

I left it as a wifi only device for a long time, I finally put service on it during a promo because I wanted to be available for work stuff while waiting in line for the kid's school stuff and doctor's appointments, but it was pretty good as wifi only and tethered.

You could do a cheap android phone too, but it was a bit harder to wrangle something with a long support window until recently.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Shelter on Fdroid adds the work stuff. I haven't had my work stuff wiped yet but I assume it will work the right way

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Alarbus posted:

This is why I use a cheap iphone as a work phone! Nothing work related on the personal phone so that when someone fucks up it doesn't wreck my stuff.

I kind of view it as a potential lottery payout as people have very successfully sued for big bucks if work MDM in any way destroys or intercepts private data.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Alarbus posted:

I left it as a wifi only device for a long time, I finally put service on it during a promo because I wanted to be available for work stuff while waiting in line for the kid's school stuff and doctor's appointments, but it was pretty good as wifi only and tethered.

You could do a cheap android phone too, but it was a bit harder to wrangle something with a long support window until recently.

I hope this is on the company dime, because gently caress providing your own phone for workstuff.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

AlexDeGruven posted:

Edit: The way it *should work* - Install InTune Company Portal. Log in with work credentials and ack 2FA. Android Work profile gets set up and makes a Play Store available. Install Outlook. Log in to Outlook. Outlook takes device admin permissions including remote wipe (just for the Android Work profile). Install other apps.
after i log in with intune and do 2fa i have the "Access Setup" screen that has "Get your device managed" with a "BEGIN" button. Pressing that shows me what my company will be able to access and what they won't. the next screen has me allow the call permission, then it comes up with the "Activate device admin app?" system screen. when i activate that, i get a "registering" screen with a progress bar that starts to fill and then:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
This is well above what you are capable of solving if you want to go the intune route for this. All of that is entirely controlled by your IT department, so either they set it up wrong or didn’t set it up at all.

Source: I’m usually the guy who sets all that poo poo up

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

right, i was just showing how it's busted. there are some times when it would be convenient to have teams but that doesn't tip the scales. if it's ever required i'll make them buy me a phone and plan

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Gotta love competent IT staff. Too bad there's not a lot of that around.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
Just use Shelter to set up a work profile and set up the corporate stuff entirely in there. If the MDM wants full control, it can have its full control inside the profile.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

AlexDeGruven posted:

Oi. Yeah. They're not doing MDM right, then.

The whole point of the Android Work profile is to segregate your work stuff from your personal stuff, so that if/when they need to send the poison pill, it doesn't nuke your whole device.

It sounds like the way they're setting it up won't even make the wipe stuff work right, anyway, let alone nuking the whole device.

Note that this is not always true, your company may do mobile application management (MAM), which for some reason requires the company portal app, but you don't touch it, it just provides bits to Microsoft apps needed for MAM functionality. It gives your company the ability to control just the data related to what you have logged into with your corp account that support it which is mostly just Microsoft apps.

It is confusing and a support problem, but less invasive than full MDM. Lack of documentation is always a problem. I don't think there is any way for you as a user to tell which method your company uses.

The onboarding process in this case should be to install company portal and outlook, then just sign into Outlook with your work account.

Dyscrasia fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Nov 4, 2023

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Spotify bluetooth broken for anyone else on Android 14?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

Spotify bluetooth broken for anyone else on Android 14?

Fine on my Pixel 8 between my phone and car, and gaming headset.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

There seems to be a bunch of WiFi and Bluetooth bugs in Android 14. Incoming patch notes seem to have fixes.

https://developer.android.com/about/versions/14/release-notes#beta2.2

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

My Pixel 8 froze and then crashed on me again today. Any reports of this being common?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
My Pixel 8 had a speck of dust somewhere under the glass cover, so I exchanged it in store at a Best Buy. This apparently counted as returning it, so they canceled the Pixel 7 trade in for $450 and are shipping it back. Very cool lol

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

sourdough posted:

My Pixel 8 had a speck of dust somewhere under the glass cover, so I exchanged it in store at a Best Buy. This apparently counted as returning it, so they canceled the Pixel 7 trade in for $450 and are shipping it back. Very cool lol

Lmao these trade-in programs can be so hosed sometimes. A friend of mine traded their Pixel 4a in on a Samsung A54 through Samsung, since they were offering $150 for it. Upon receipt Samsung claimed that the Pixel 4a wasn't an eligible trade-in device because it was the 4G variant and not the 5G one, which is a completely different device. The "Pixel 4a 5G" wasn't even an option on the trade-in page, just "Pixel 4a." My friend called Samsung about it and they gave them the credit anyway.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I'm running a pixel 7pro, and this weekend I scratched/chipped my screen. Bad enough that my thumb feels it as I swype.
Would a glass screen protector work enough if the digitizer seems good? I can get over the appearance for now. Or should I look at a screen replacement? I don't think I did insurance on it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If you do a UV cured screen protector, it may fill in the chip and make it hard to see.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

bull3964 posted:

If you do a UV cured screen protector, it may fill in the chip and make it hard to see.

That was my hope really. Suggestions on a good one?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I put this one on my Pixel 7 Pro and it was fine aside from the normal fiddly stuff around doing that type of protector.

https://a.co/d/3GpvJXr

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is T-Mobile holding the security update again this month? I thought I saw a headline that it was released yesterday, but on Mint Mobile I'm not seeing an update for my Pixel 7.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

No one has gotten it yet as far as I can tell. I have an unlocked Pixel 7 that's never seen a SIM and it still isn't pulling the update.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Nothing for me on an unlocked Pixel 8 in the UK. Thought it was just me.

Regretful Humming
Apr 27, 2015
Didn't they stop going by the usual schedule after Android 14 dropped?

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Pvt. Parts posted:

I hope this is on the company dime, because gently caress providing your own phone for workstuff.

Coming back to this, yes a company should be paying for all of it. However, I already had the spare phone laying around, hence using it on wifi, and I paid for cell service on it to further my laziness and because my car has car play but not Android Auto. So yes, I agree I'm doing it wrong, but I know why and no it's not to answer email after hours.

My 6pro on the beta track got an update, but the 8pro on release track has not (vzw).

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

hooah posted:

Is T-Mobile holding the security update again this month? I thought I saw a headline that it was released yesterday, but on Mint Mobile I'm not seeing an update for my Pixel 7.

GrapheneOS patch notes mentioned something about the GPU kernel patch being missing for the 11/5 security update so that could be why.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Regretful Humming posted:

Didn't they stop going by the usual schedule after Android 14 dropped?

I mean, they did, but the they actually announced the update, posted the OTAs, and said the rollout was starting yesterday.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

So, the interesting thing is, my Pixel Tablet IS pulling down the update. So it seems to be the phones.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is the GPS precision on the Pixel 7A really bad for anyone else? Like it'll show mw driving through houses even in the middle of a perfectly clear road without any trees overhead.

It's significantly worse then my 5a was

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

devicenull posted:

Is the GPS precision on the Pixel 7A really bad for anyone else? Like it'll show mw driving through houses even in the middle of a perfectly clear road without any trees overhead.

It's significantly worse then my 5a was

I have a 7 Pro and it was immediately apparent how sluggish and inaccurate the GPS location was compared to the 5 I upgraded from.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
My 7 Pro got the November update like two days ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Just checked, and still not here on a Pixel 6 on Verizon Prepaid.

I did have a Google Play update waiting, and it now says it is at October patch level, though. :shrug: