Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

simble
May 11, 2004

I know we just had a thread title change, but...

Bad With Money: The solution is at sea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

(if this is self-posting ding me but I hope it's more of a useful example)

Just to put some numbers on it, the old family homestead, in the depths of the rust belt, was an 800 sqft SFR on a ~1/10th acre lot, built circa 1919. The street it sat on was roughly half-and-half small houses and duplexes.

Today, by law, NONE of that can be built on that street unless it's replacing something (that burnt down, for instance), either because the lot sizes are too small or because it's no longer zoned for anything denser than SFRs.

The amount of land you need per housing unit is way, way up compared to a hundred years ago in the US.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the only thing in your entire post that has risen materially in price is the land

My sister built a four bed, two bath in Toowoomba and the cost to build is ~AUD$450k, land not included. Someone pointed out that permits are a lot and that's true. Which is why part of my post was pointing out that we insist upon building to code now. Inspections and governance costs real money and cost recovery is routine. I am on board with hate on the FYGM re-zoning opponents holding back knocking down single family domiciles on quarter acre blocks deep in the city. A holistic zoning approach like practiced in Singapore shows you can pack a lot of people in an area and still retain plenty of open spaces and quality living.

And this post come in response to a post about how micro-houses, container houses, etc are generally a complete disaster because to get them to meet the modern standards is pretty much the cost of a full-size house built using modern, industralised methods. People can't take a block of land in the sticks and jam a cheap house on it because a cheap house (as in 50's housing as it exists in the minds of a lot of people today) doesn't exist.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
zoning differently is not the special thing in singapore, its the 90% of all housing being public housing thats the special thing

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Building 1000-1500 sq ft attached / all-but-attached houses on narrow lots is a great way to get a pleasant, walkable neighborhood out of single-family homes. Even better if you mix in low-rises along the commercial corridors. There are some trade-offs — I can definitely hear my neighbors through our shared wall sometimes — but in my experience, “fixing” them by separating houses by even just 5-10 feet really kills density and therefore changes what the neighborhood can support. You go from having 2-3 commercial areas within a ten minute walk to having maybe 1 that probably doesn’t have everything you need.

What I’m saying is the separation thing doesn’t belong on that building standards list.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
minimum building height 40 stories imo

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

My home was sold for around $10k in 1955 (including the land) and is about 1400 sqft, 3bd, 2 bath. The only things that it has on the list of Bad Stuff that Electric Wrigglies posted is asbestos in the flooring tile and lead paint, neither of which have extremely expensive replacements.

That house would sell for around $550k rn, and it has had maybe $100k worth of improvements performed. If you had just the land for free, it would cost about $300k to build a similar place as a modular home.

Inflation says that $10k in 1955 is about $120k in 2023 dollars. I'm honestly not sure what the biggest problem is that's contributing to it, but I don't think that zoning or improvements or whatever are a big enough deal to drive that extreme of a cost differential. Especially because places like Houston have no zoning to speak of and are still expensive, car-driven nightmares. I'd guess that another big contributor is that the majority of US homeowners have their homes as their main/only asset and that drives a lot of finance-sector hijinx, but I honestly don't know what the hell is causing housing to be as far out of step with other costs as it is.

Lyesh fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 31, 2023

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Bird in a Blender posted:

I guess technically yes it doesn't require more land, we could build just as densely in the burbs as we do in the cities, but one of the big selling points of moving to the burbs is to have more land. Although I would like to see someone try to build a McMansion on my 25' wide lot in the city.

Oh just come to Seattle. Tear down a 1940s house to put 3 3 story townhouses in the same lot. Some of them can't be more than 25' wide.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Lawns are dumb and if people want houses that go right to the edge of the property line instead of a lawn that they barely use but have to take care of or even some kind of xeriscape that they don't have to take care of but barely use, I'm fine with that.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

bitcoin islanders getting mad when it's parked off the coast obstructing their view of the lovely satoshi bay sunsets

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Lyesh posted:

My home was sold for around $10k in 1955 (including the land) and is about 1400 sqft, 3bd, 2 bath. The only things that it has on the list of Bad Stuff that Electric Wrigglies posted is asbestos in the flooring tile and lead paint, neither of which have extremely expensive replacements.

That house would sell for around $550k rn, and it has had maybe $100k worth of improvements performed. If you had just the land for free, it would cost about $300k to build a similar place as a modular home.

Inflation says that $10k in 1955 is about $120k in 2023 dollars. I'm honestly not sure what the biggest problem is that's contributing to it, but I don't think that zoning or improvements or whatever are a big enough deal to drive that extreme of a cost differential. Especially because places like Houston have no zoning to speak of and are still expensive, car-driven nightmares. I'd guess that another big contributor is that the majority of US homeowners have their homes as their main/only asset and that drives a lot of finance-sector hijinx, but I honestly don't know what the hell is causing housing to be as far out of step with other costs as it is.

This is several years old, but it's still mostly accurate: https://marketurbanism.com/2016/09/19/how-houston-regulates-land-use/

Houston doesn't have traditional zoning, but its not a city where you can build whatever you want within code. There are in fact quite a few restrictions that matter.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

golden bubble posted:

This is several years old, but it's still mostly accurate: https://marketurbanism.com/2016/09/19/how-houston-regulates-land-use/

Houston doesn't have traditional zoning, but its not a city where you can build whatever you want within code. There are in fact quite a few restrictions that matter.

I know, but they're not everywhere in the city (part of the problem is that they're incredibly variable depending on where you are). And if getting rid of zoning sounds hard, I can't even imagine trying to void all manner of existing contracts. I guess the problem is more that there are a lot of well-to-do people that will fight tooth and nail to keep zoning or an analogous structure in place.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

I live in a nice part of my city that hasn’t has good buildable lots in 100 years. The “new construction” is literally in an alley, on a tiny tiny plot, where the house goes up five stories and sells for a million dollars. And they sell them before they break ground.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

DrPossum posted:

bitcoin islanders getting mad when it's parked off the coast obstructing their view of the lovely satoshi bay sunsets

No backing from a navy you say, legally seizable by any jurisdiction you say? :yarr: Let's bring :filez: back to it's roots.

What is it with ancaps and boats anyway?

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://twitter.com/numetal_moment/status/1719447098037612619
https://twitter.com/srubenfeld/status/1719493249075646666

Maybe the real nu metal was the securities fraud we committed on the way.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

".... to steal millions of dollars from a global financial services company based in Menlo Park, California."

AHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA. It was kind of an open secret in both finance and tech that Robin Hood was loving getting their faces ripped off by scammers on the "instant deposit" scam. Everyone else that offers instant deposit credit doesn't give it unless you're a seasoned account and then ONLY in fully marginable securities or well under your account equity and with a margin agreement. And it's still a huge risk that's very closely monitored because ACH is such a poo poo payment rail that gets scammed constantly.

The assumption was they were buying crypto and running, or yolo'ing 0dte options and burning the loser accounts. I guess sham wash trades is more brain cells than most people expected. Still pretty dumb though, because if you're always the counterparty on fraudulent options trades in options nobody else is trading it's very easy for the government to find you!

Baddog
May 12, 2001

mrmcd posted:

if you're always the counterparty on fraudulent options trades in options nobody else is trading it's very easy for the government to find you!

Yah this doesn't seem like the most well-thought out scam. I guess the problem with yolo'ing 0 dte options is that when it hits the straw man is liable to check the balance and then want to keep the account.

Still amusing to me that these guys seem to have the full weight of the government coming down on them for what is kinda peanuts in the markets. Can we get some prosecution on large scale insider trading?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Baddog posted:

Can we get some prosecution on large scale insider trading?

Not with a presidential election right at a year out lmao.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I'm not sure that it's actually practical or desirable to go for large scale insider trading unless you are incredibly dumb (like what Shrekeli tried), but that there are 100% consistent smaller ops going on all the time and only the stupid ones get caught.

I know a bunch of people that work in trade/messaging surveillance software and have gone drinking with them and the compliance officers they work with and compliance people get super pissed off if you say things like "well you know you only catch the stupid ones right?" and "how would you catch messages through channels you cannot monitor such as steganography, writing it on a whiteboard near the window or proton mail or whatever".

Basically I think you'd need total knowledge of both sides for surveillance to be effective enough to catch insider trading through correlation, which is impossible across market participants, so unless you're clearing trades or the person doing it is putting on *massive* outlier trades that the exchange catches there logically must be constant low level manipulation going on. Money Laundering etc. Is "easier" to catch.

However, insider trading does give us very funny stories when people are tipping off their golf caddy who then loudly talks about it on public transport or whatever, so I fully support efforts to catch it.

Also, Fauxton get in here and correct my bullshit please.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I know a bunch of people that work in trade/messaging surveillance software and have gone drinking with them and the compliance officers they work with and compliance people get super pissed off if you say things like "well you know you only catch the stupid ones right?" and "how would you catch messages through channels you cannot monitor such as steganography, writing it on a whiteboard near the window or proton mail or whatever".

I think their compliance peeps may be bad at compliance or general thinking, because of course you only catch the ones stupid enough to be found and there are absolutely people out there who commit perfect financial crimes.

I work in compliance at what is called an EMI in Europe and maybe would be described as a narrow bank in the US.
I will readily admit that we probably have people on the books who do such a great job at fooling us that we will never catch them, and they do it so well that no judge or regulator will ever hold us liable for it as long as we follow our own policies. Given enough time though, most of them will mess up at some point.

Fednow kind of fixes this, but unfortunately too many banks have built an entire business on reordering all non-instant transactions in a way that fucks over their account holders to their own benefit, so they have a great incentive to never implement it

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

mrmcd posted:

".... to steal millions of dollars from a global financial services company based in Menlo Park, California."

AHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA. It was kind of an open secret in both finance and tech that Robin Hood was loving getting their faces ripped off by scammers on the "instant deposit" scam. Everyone else that offers instant deposit credit doesn't give it unless you're a seasoned account and then ONLY in fully marginable securities or well under your account equity and with a margin agreement. And it's still a huge risk that's very closely monitored because ACH is such a poo poo payment rail that gets scammed constantly.

The assumption was they were buying crypto and running, or yolo'ing 0dte options and burning the loser accounts. I guess sham wash trades is more brain cells than most people expected. Still pretty dumb though, because if you're always the counterparty on fraudulent options trades in options nobody else is trading it's very easy for the government to find you!

Can i get clarification on who this is ?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Robinhood

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I'm not sure that it's actually practical or desirable to go for large scale insider trading unless you are incredibly dumb (like what Shrekeli tried), but that there are 100% consistent smaller ops going on all the time and only the stupid ones get caught.

Basically I think you'd need total knowledge of both sides for surveillance to be effective enough to catch insider trading through correlation, which is impossible across market participants, so unless you're clearing trades or the person doing it is putting on *massive* outlier trades that the exchange catches there logically must be constant low level manipulation going on. Money Laundering etc. Is "easier" to catch.

However, insider trading does give us very funny stories when people are tipping off their golf caddy who then loudly talks about it on public transport or whatever, so I fully support efforts to catch it.

Also, Fauxton get in here and correct my bullshit please.

Usually when I read about them catching someone insider trading and they aren't outright dumb enough to write in an email "Hello Buddy, let's do some insider trading crimes. This stock is gonna go up on Tuesday buy a shitload and let's split the profit", it's the following order of events:

1. Insider very carefully tips co-conspirator without leaving records.

2. Co-conspirator buys a shitload of short term otm options without ever having traded before.

3. Government sees that trade and goes "HMMMMM that's weird let's go have a chat with that guy"

4. Co-conspirator either confesses immediately, or 5 minutes after their chat sends recorded texts or emails to insider with "HEY EMERGENCY the government is asking about all the crimes we did what to do???"

4a. (alternate) it is discovered that after getting info from insider, co-conspirator immediately tells 40 other people on email/text/discord "just got a great tip who wants to get rich doing crimes????"

There was a case a while back where someone hacked one of the big services for publishing corporate press releases, and they had access to draft press releases about earnings results before the company formally published them. The interesting part was the hackers actually resisted the urge to just yolo on options they just quietly made 10% on regular long cash accounts every few weeks. Nobody had any clue and they only discovered it because the hack and backdoor access got found out.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Upgrade posted:

I live in a nice part of my city that hasn’t has good buildable lots in 100 years. The “new construction” is literally in an alley, on a tiny tiny plot, where the house goes up five stories and sells for a million dollars. And they sell them before they break ground.

I live in an affluent suburb with a lot of old homes (100+ year old) and new building is very rare. It only happens when someone with a large lot subdivides it. Then some developer builds a McMansion style monstrosity on it that takes up most of the yard

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Don't forget "co conspirator handles it carefully but also tells his idiot brother who tells is brother in law who tells the pool boy", there was one recently where the guy was tipping off his private pilot, his actual golf caddy etc.

Exactly as you say with the hacking example, if people are disciplined about it you can get away with it for a long time (in my opinion anyway).

Also there is a gag that if compliance officers were any good at detecting insider dealing they'd be out there doing it themselves.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

There is a known value (caught insider traders) and an unknown value (uncaught ones) and the argument is over the ratio of those which is just unknowable?

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

mrmcd posted:

There was a case a while back where someone hacked one of the big services for publishing corporate press releases, and they had access to draft press releases about earnings results before the company formally published them. The interesting part was the hackers actually resisted the urge to just yolo on options they just quietly made 10% on regular long cash accounts every few weeks. Nobody had any clue and they only discovered it because the hack and backdoor access got found out.

What you learn in cyber security is that 90% of hackers have no idea how to do it well because of the 10% who write code, most who are any good at it end up just working for the local spooks, so only people who can't get a job in the Intel/counterintel world freelance write exploits to sell to criminals. Most of the scarry sophisticated stuff is either ripped straight off a cyber security doctoral thesis or someone else's government. Governments don't need to hold up liquor stores with their shiny toys. Most government are perfectly capable of extracting money from banks and businesses directly.

Most cybercriminals bought or stole a Saturday night special equivalent bit of code for small potatoes robberies. Or are just bricking a window.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Regular trading activity seems necessary to cover up insider trading. I’ve had one situation where I knew MNPI two days before a corporate event, but what could I do? All my money is in index funds and buying options or shares of a specific company would be the easiest flag ever.

Waiting for the day a finance bro communicated earnings clues by getting an expensive menu add on at dinner or something.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Democratic Pirate posted:

Waiting for the day a finance bro communicated earnings clues by getting an expensive menu add on at dinner or something.

Wasn’t it a thing where people knew a major event was going to happen because of all the late night pizza delivery? Or is that just an urban legend.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Barrel Cactaur posted:

What you learn in cyber security is that 90% of hackers have no idea how to do it well because of the 10% who write code, most who are any good at it end up just working for the local spooks, so only people who can't get a job in the Intel/counterintel world freelance write exploits to sell to criminals. Most of the scarry sophisticated stuff is either ripped straight off a cyber security doctoral thesis or someone else's government. Governments don't need to hold up liquor stores with their shiny toys. Most government are perfectly capable of extracting money from banks and businesses directly.

Most cybercriminals bought or stole a Saturday night special equivalent bit of code for small potatoes robberies. Or are just bricking a window.

There's a middle ground of (relatively) sophisticated attackers that go after enterprises, like the MGM breach a few months ago that shut down the casino floor and room keys. There's enough money to be made from organized crime that they can attract talent, but yeah some of them have at least tacit approval if not support from state actors.

This was apparently the vector used for the MGM thing, along with some social engineering.
https://www.mandiant.com/resources/blog/alphv-ransomware-backup

Nowhere near what a government can do for sure, but not entirely a joke.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

lifg posted:

Wasn’t it a thing where people knew a major event was going to happen because of all the late night pizza delivery? Or is that just an urban legend.

that was a pentagon thing

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

bob dobbs is dead posted:

that was a pentagon thing

It's also from a Tom Clancy novel and not a real thing.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
https://www.reddit.com/r/NonCredibleDefense/comments/yw8080/pizza_place_near_the_pentagon_is_busier_than/

3pm, but still

(hotlinking because that one sub doesnt give a gently caress)

(i also apologize for the fuckin degeneracy)

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

There's a middle ground of (relatively) sophisticated attackers that go after enterprises, like the MGM breach a few months ago that shut down the casino floor and room keys. There's enough money to be made from organized crime that they can attract talent, but yeah some of them have at least tacit approval if not support from state actors.

This was apparently the vector used for the MGM thing, along with some social engineering.
https://www.mandiant.com/resources/blog/alphv-ransomware-backup

Nowhere near what a government can do for sure, but not entirely a joke.

The joke is 90% of cyber security is a paper tiger backed up with huge budget and process shortfalls

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Baddog posted:

Yah this doesn't seem like the most well-thought out scam.

Says they recruited "dozens" of people, ran the scam for 4 years, and made off with 2 million.

Seems like a pretty lovely return. I mean, even if the four main conspirators were paying those dozens in exposure, 125k per year per person is a weak loving scam.

(And if you really want to insider-trade what you want to do is get elected to Congress.)

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Phanatic posted:

Says they recruited "dozens" of people, ran the scam for 4 years, and made off with 2 million.

Seems like a pretty lovely return. I mean, even if the four main conspirators were paying those dozens in exposure, 125k per year per person is a weak loving scam.

(And if you really want to insider-trade what you want to do is get elected to Congress.)

If you only needed to get to state congress it wouldn't be that hard.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Barrel Cactaur posted:

The joke is 90% of cyber security is a paper tiger backed up with huge budget and process shortfalls

It's true, it pays well but I'm hella disorganized

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Don't forget about angry (ex-)spouse narcing to the feds the moment they find they're being cheated on, or in the heat of an argument. Like the woman screaming "He got weed! He got weed!" in that Chris Rock skit.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

quote:

4 Week Treasury Bills -- Is interest annualized?

Perhaps my financial literacy may not be as decent as I thought. A month ago, I purchased $25,898 worth of 4 Week T-bills. To my understanding, the 4 week bill has a yield of ~5%. My bill matured today and I received $26,000 back. So that means a yield of 0.99%. I was under the impression that the "yield" on this would be 5% after it matures in 4 weeks, not annually.

There must be something that I'm fundamentally not understanding here. The idea of these short-term securities is to just keep re-investing them over the course of 1 year to achieve that rate?

quote:

It’s always annual. If we all could get 5% return on our investment in only four weeks, don’t you think everyone would be buying four week T bills by the truckload?

quote:

Yes rates are always annualized . A 30 year bond paying 3.5% does not mean you make 3.5% over 30 years it means you make 3.5% per year.

Same with a 4 week tbill , something should have told you were off because do you really think you can make almost 90% risk free returns if you just kept rolling over 4 week tbills? If that was the case who would bother to invest in anything else? Why would someone choose to invest in risky stocks that could drop , also the great years the market can return 30% and the highest return was 46% (in the 30s after a 80% drop). I guess that being said if you could get almost 2x the best year risk free no one would be invested in the market

Or why would anyone buy a 1 year bond paying 5.4% over a year when you could buy a 4 week bond that gives you 5.4% in 4 weeks?

quote:

quote:

Yes, it totally makes sense that the world would give you 5% "risk free" interest each month, with an easy 75% yearly CAGR.

Is that really what you thought was happening? That you stumbled upon this discovery that broke all of finance?

All the brightest minds in the world have completely missed this opportunity for infinite risk free CAGR over the centuries and, in 2023, you are the person that finally broke the code?

Or did you assume all the people pouring 100% of their money into low fee S&P index funds were believing that they would easily blow away this >75% CAGR?

The often quoted 8% that the S&P makes per year is perhaps the amount it averages over and above this risk free 75%, for a total of 83% yearly CAGR?

Sorry, I'll stop.

Nice dude. Really appreciate the thoughtful reply. I’m Flattered that you took the time out of your busy day to reply. Did it make you feel better as it typed it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
That's a pretty tame lesson learned, honestly.