Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

devmd01 posted:

Well, this will certainly last us until next year….and beyond. All three are at a good age that I could just walk the dog while they went up to the doors. They were good about saying thank you without prompting, which was nice to see. Even though it was cold as hell they hung in there and did the entire neighborhood by foot.

Ooooh! You got the good gummy bears! Nothing wrong with Haribo but Albanese is so good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

The local Dairy Queen handed out free soft serve and the local Pizza Hut (which is luckily a good Pizza Hut) handed out coupons for free pizza so yesterday was a pretty big win all around even aside from the usual haul (my three year old is weird and doesn’t like chocolate so my wife and I get to split that).

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Speaking of not liking chocolate, my daughter is super disappointed she got way more chocolate candy than fruity candy. She loves fruity candy. I've never seen anyone eat a Snickers with such resignation before.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

topenga posted:

Ooooh! You got the good gummy bears! Nothing wrong with Haribo but Albanese is so good!

I beg to disagree. Haribo is a fairly unchewable crap, while Albanese is a Platonic ideal.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

topenga posted:

If you go to the Albanese factory outlet you can get a 3lb bag of gummy goof-ups for like $8. It doesn’t last long.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
My son went as a vampire this year, super adorable! He lasted longer trick or treating than the 4 and 5 year old we went along with. He just loves Halloween. We even did a little haunted house together at his insistence! I had to carry him through it but he was so proud of finishing.

Bedtime was a loving disaster otoh, oh well

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

My wife admitted she may be suffering from depression and needs help. Between the last two months before birth being difficult, the boy being born with a slower heart then the norm due to her heart medication (looks like it passed), and her mom getting diagnosed with cancer, I honestly can’t say if it is PPD or we’re just exhausted or one leading to the other. She’s a clinical psychologist herself, and I think she was a bit reluctant to self-diagnose. We’ll see if her supervising psychologist will want to take this on.

To add on to that, I’m having a rough time too - inadequacy, horrible work stress driven by impostor syndrome, coming up slowly to the age when my dad passed away from a heart attack. I’m powering through, because, well, no other way about it, but boy am I exhausted on every level. I can’t burden my partner now, it’s too much for her.

BUT! At 18 weeks, what a bundle of joy and love this boy is becoming. He’s evolving into an actual person, learning new things every day and just being the cutest and best smelling thing in our lives.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
The wife is away for a few days on a business trip. It would seem our daughter stored up a few days of poops just for me, she's 5. Thanks kiddo that was really stinky.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
My kid is still too young for candy (almost 1.5 years), but his still fit in his jack-o-lantern costume so we did take him out to a little Halloween block party to look at the costumes and he also had a Halloween party all day at day care. Plus I was really amused when we were watching It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown, and he went over to the edge of the playpen to watch it for a surprisingly long stretch of time. Something about the slow pace and jazz music must have intrigued him.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Mokotow posted:

My wife admitted she may be suffering from depression and needs help. Between the last two months before birth being difficult, the boy being born with a slower heart then the norm due to her heart medication (looks like it passed), and her mom getting diagnosed with cancer, I honestly can’t say if it is PPD or we’re just exhausted or one leading to the other. She’s a clinical psychologist herself, and I think she was a bit reluctant to self-diagnose. We’ll see if her supervising psychologist will want to take this on.

To add on to that, I’m having a rough time too - inadequacy, horrible work stress driven by impostor syndrome, coming up slowly to the age when my dad passed away from a heart attack. I’m powering through, because, well, no other way about it, but boy am I exhausted on every level. I can’t burden my partner now, it’s too much for her.

BUT! At 18 weeks, what a bundle of joy and love this boy is becoming. He’s evolving into an actual person, learning new things every day and just being the cutest and best smelling thing in our lives.

I was in a similar spot a couple years ago. You got this brother :glomp:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Mokotow posted:

To add on to that, I’m having a rough time too -

Depends on your job but you might look at your benefits package, a lot of places offer a third party, confidential advice line and they might be able to offer you advice on doing short term paid leave to get things sorted. Stress from new baby is a lot and can push everyone to their limits at some point or another. Most companies have some kind of paid leave insurance that pays out 55-75% of your regular salary for up to 90 days or whatever

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

devmd01 posted:

If you go to the Albanese factory outlet you can get a 3lb bag of gummy goof-ups for like $8. It doesn’t last long.

I once bought a 5 pound bag of the blue raspberry flavor and shamelessly ate nearly the entire thing myself.

No regrets.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Slaan posted:

I was in a similar spot a couple years ago. You got this brother :glomp:

Thanks bud, this helps!

Hadlock posted:

Depends on your job but you might look at your benefits package, a lot of places offer a third party, confidential advice line and they might be able to offer you advice on doing short term paid leave to get things sorted. Stress from new baby is a lot and can push everyone to their limits at some point or another. Most companies have some kind of paid leave insurance that pays out 55-75% of your regular salary for up to 90 days or whatever

Part of the problem, unfortunately- this part of the year is crucial for business and my legal/international situation makes this so complicated it’s best to just put my head down and make it to January. My company is very helpful but ultimately it is what it is! This place helps.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The funniest thing is when the kid's just laying there completely still but their eyes are open, and you're like "close your eyes" and they do and immediately fall deep asleep

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

Brawnfire posted:

The funniest thing is when the kid's just laying there completely still but their eyes are open, and you're like "close your eyes" and they do and immediately fall deep asleep

This is literally every single night with my daughter. I have to say “no more talking, sleepy time” about a dozen times until she stops verbalizing her constant stream of consciousness, then it takes several “close your eyes” until they stay closed.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
My 2 year old has decided she can change her clothes all by herself.

She can't.

God help us.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
The dentist recommended that it is time to take away the binky :( I am filled with dread. My son is almost 3 and only uses it at night, but he’s still very much attached to it and the little stuffed llama. I bought him a new stuffy…hoping that is an acceptable replacement. Fingers crossed.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

remigious posted:

The dentist recommended that it is time to take away the binky :( I am filled with dread. My son is almost 3 and only uses it at night, but he’s still very much attached to it and the little stuffed llama. I bought him a new stuffy…hoping that is an acceptable replacement. Fingers crossed.

Hoping it works out, we got lucky with ours that he never cared for the paci. He's a blanket boy now at 13 months though. Fine by me, it calms him down at night and knocks out, then I go and remove it from the crib once he's out.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

remigious posted:

We snipped the tip off so that he couldn't get suction and then gradually made the tip smaller and smaller until one day he said he wasn't going to use it anymore because he's a big boy (and it wasn't very satisfying anymore)

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Jose Valasquez posted:

We snipped the tip off so that he couldn't get suction and then gradually made the tip smaller and smaller until one day he said he wasn't going to use it anymore because he's a big boy (and it wasn't very satisfying anymore)

This is a great idea!

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

remigious posted:

This is a great idea!

Just keep an eye on it and swap them out if it starts to get too worn. Our son started chewing on them around the same time and we ended up going through several pacifiers over the ~month it took to ween him

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Spoggerific posted:

My 2 year old has decided she can change her clothes all by herself.

She can't.

God help us.

My son likes to go through his drawers, take several shirts out (along with throwing out everything else), and wear them on his neck like huge scarf.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Oh god Sunday is 5am wake up day noooooooo

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

GoutPatrol posted:

My son likes to go through his drawers, take several shirts out (along with throwing out everything else), and wear them on his neck like huge scarf.

Oh good, it's not just our toddler doing that. There's just a permanent scattering of clothes on her floor because as soon as I put things back they're out again. It's not like she'll wear anything other than bluey shirts anyway.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

I've been doing occasional shifts at a daycare after my parental leave ended and gotta say, wrangling eleven 3-year-olds and trying to stop them from hurling themselves down a rocky hill with plastic mopeds has given me new appreciation for being a parent to just one baby.

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016

nachos posted:

Oh god Sunday is 5am wake up day noooooooo

5am, I wish

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

Halloween was pretty good here (Australia) - weather was perfect and the sun was still up after 5. We met up with a group of school parents and followed the kids from house to house with beers in hand and the toddlers tagging along with excitement.

Only downside was one of my kid's school friends being a jerk, hammering on doors yelling OPEN THE DOOR OPEN THE DOOR, complaining about what people were giving out and then bragging that she got more than anyone else. Her parents had preloaded her up with a massive fishing tackle box that they'd already thrown full packets of lollies in.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Driving 2 hours on Sunday to attend a wedding, the same day DST hits! My 1.5yr old son is gonna love it! He’s gonna love the same 2 hour drive back even more!

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

Big same

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

My wife said something last night about sleeping in this morning(!!!) I practically ran at her to hush her but it was too late, the cursed words were free and the demons heard them.

Both kids were up saying insane nonsense before the sun.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

If you run and hide when I ask if you pooped yourself, I immediately stop suspecting you. After all, only someone who hadn't pooped themself would run like wild at the mention of pooping oneself. Otherwise it would be super suspicious!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

"let's have a birthday party at the park. It'll be easier that way"

1) stage a bunch of poo poo for weeks before the party in the house
2) clean the trunk so we can fit everything in the car
3) move the staged poo poo to the trunk
4) drive an hour early to the park to setup
5) haul all the poo poo from the parking lot a quarter mile to the reserved area
6) set everything up
7) everyone arrives
8) actual party :toot:
9) throw away half the food
10) pack everything
11) haul it back to the car
12 ) drive home
13) have a party at the house anyways until almost 9pm because everyone wanted to hang out more :krakentoot:

Never, ever doing a party at the park again

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Hmm, random fever after this cold was supposed to be over.

Oh, why does it look like he has pimples on his chin?

sigh we go back to the doctor tomorrow anyway, gently caress

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

One silver lining to changing the clock is that when you hear the baby rustling and the toddler coughing at 1:15 and then, after falling back asleep, you wake up again at 1:16, an hour elapsed.

Boy does your tracker really not want things to happen between 1 and 2 though.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Good morning parents! What time were you woken up this morning? I’ll start!

4:35am

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Like 530. He's good about coloring in his room, but he bangs the door like an angry teenager, which woke up his sister (and me). He also insists on turning on the hallway light the minute he's awake. jfc

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
6ish for the first? And that was mostly to get help turning off the humidifier in her room because it was loud. She then went back to bed for another 45min.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Ugh I gotta get humidifiers set up. 6am literally screaming with hunger. Gee kid wonder if you should've eaten more at dinner.

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
1am, 4 am, 5 am, 6am, but that's not the kid's fault. Our dog has been a turbo rear end in a top hat lately barking at who the hell knows what.

Kiddo was still sleeping when I got her up at 9am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

GoutPatrol posted:

Hmm, random fever after this cold was supposed to be over.

Oh, why does it look like he has pimples on his chin?

sigh we go back to the doctor tomorrow anyway, gently caress

Why would you go to the doctor over HFM? :confused:

Just give them something for the fever and let them rest.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Nov 5, 2023