Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
someone collects putins excretions to avoid spies getting their sponges on it - national security

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

CeeJee posted:

That's what they are going to do when a Red Line is crossed. And once that happens, the gloves will come off and Ukraine will be conquered in a week.

lol if you don’t understand that Russia could outright conqueror every inch of Ukraine in just two days, if they really wanted to, via making a full declaration.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Ubik_Lives posted:

I do wonder that one day I might have a 1984 break down, where Ukraine makes some turn around and I have an epiphany that I have always loved War Crime Gigalo’s posts.
He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Gigolo.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I like WGC's posts; i just take them with the same grain of salt as any online "amateur" analysis and predictions.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
Vladimir Putin spent Halloween Eve bobbing for urinal candy

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Looks like Russia ate poo poo again in the Avdiivka area. Typical throw soldiers and armour over open fields and get clowned on. Maybe it will work this time attitude.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I do get the feeling that it is working. If Russia can keep this up eventually they will encircle Avdiivka.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
It's another Bakhmut, Russia will meatwave it till Ukraine runs out of ammo and has to pull back

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Wasn’t there some kind of dnipro based victory? I guess it gives them something to crow about if they lose huge numbers of guys to retake a strategic hamlet.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

spankmeister posted:

I do get the feeling that it is working. If Russia can keep this up eventually they will encircle Avdiivka.

Leaked footage from HQ in Donetsk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rblfKREj50o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZT-wVnFn60

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Nessus posted:

Wasn’t there some kind of dnipro based victory? I guess it gives them something to crow about if they lose huge numbers of guys to retake a strategic hamlet.

One part of the landings hit a village but got pushed back is all I've seen. They're still on the left bank though. Been a lot of troops that have come across the river supposedly but nothing major has happened. They've taken Krynky but I'd guess Oleskhy is when noise will be made if it's taken on a Ukraine point of view or if the troops across the river have to retreat to the Kherson side from a Russian point of view.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

spankmeister posted:

2nd area taken in 12 months. Stronk russia

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Tai posted:

2nd area taken in 12 months. Stronk russia
The imperial nato machine btfo by the immortal courage of the Russian convict

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Yeah, Russia is gonna get Avdiivka if they keep it up. Not that they are learning anything:

Any updates on what's going on with those M3 bridging vehicles? Are the Ukrainians still training on them? Will they be able to deploy them to move tanks and stuff over the Dnipro while the Russians are still in artillery range, or is there some other plan? Seems like the Ukrainian presence on the left bank so far has been mostly commando raids.

marshalljim fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Nov 1, 2023

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
can Ukraine create slagmountains faster than Russia can climb them?

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
Is there any reason to give credence to what's being said in this video or do I just like it because it tells me what I want to hear?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OFyn_KSy80

Fair warning: it is over an hour and 14 minutes long but the main gist of it seems to be that Putin invaded Ukraine because he's been convinced by a cadre of far-right Russian and American wackos that the US, through the intermediary of George Soros and USAID, have organized basically every popular uprising in the last few decades and were now trying to undermine his regime, so he went full fash in the hopes of heading that off at the pass. Then tried to do the exact same thing in Ukraine, only for it to completely backfire and push the country away from the Russian sphere of influence. And the war is now a culmination of his repeat foreign policy failures and an unwillingness to let Ukraine go, a fear that if he doesn't take over it'll become a staging ground for more actions to undermine his regime, and racism against Ukrainians in general.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Sounds about right to me. I ain’t watching that poo poo tho

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Clerical Terrors posted:

Is there any reason to give credence to what's being said in this video or do I just like it because it tells me what I want to hear?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OFyn_KSy80

Fair warning: it is over an hour and 14 minutes long but the main gist of it seems to be that Putin invaded Ukraine because he's been convinced by a cadre of far-right Russian and American wackos that the US, through the intermediary of George Soros and USAID, have organized basically every popular uprising in the last few decades and were now trying to undermine his regime, so he went full fash in the hopes of heading that off at the pass. Then tried to do the exact same thing in Ukraine, only for it to completely backfire and push the country away from the Russian sphere of influence. And the war is now a culmination of his repeat foreign policy failures and an unwillingness to let Ukraine go, a fear that if he doesn't take over it'll become a staging ground for more actions to undermine his regime, and racism against Ukrainians in general.

He just wanted Ukraine, OP, simple as that, wanted to make Russia bigger, and thought it would be easy-peasy, like Crimea.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
That thesis as you described it is total nonsense. Putin is the one spreading the conspiracy theories about Soros and American led color revolutions, he isn't a true believer, and he doesn't need to have his own state propaganda delivered to him from the West

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Clerical Terrors posted:

Putin invaded Ukraine because he's been convinced by a cadre of far-right Russian and American wackos that the US, through the intermediary of George Soros and USAID, have organized basically every popular uprising in the last few decades and were now trying to undermine his regime, so he went full fash in the hopes of heading that off at the pass. Then tried to do the exact same thing in Ukraine, only for it to completely backfire and push the country away from the Russian sphere of influence. And the war is now a culmination of his repeat foreign policy failures and an unwillingness to let Ukraine go, a fear that if he doesn't take over it'll become a staging ground for more actions to undermine his regime, and racism against Ukrainians in general.

Hideo Kojima's still got it

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Putin died and he fell on a cactus and the cactus went up his dead butt

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Shinjobi posted:

I was there, I saw this happen.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

That thesis as you described it is total nonsense. Putin is the one spreading the conspiracy theories about Soros and American led color revolutions, he isn't a true believer, and he doesn't need to have his own state propaganda delivered to him from the West

Idk there's definitely an element of him drinking his own kool aid going on. He probably really believes most if not all color revolutions and especially the one in Ukraine was orchestrated by western powers.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

the popes toes posted:

He just wanted Ukraine, OP, simple as that, wanted to make Russia bigger, and thought it would be easy-peasy, like Crimea.
Yep. It's simple - he wants to rebuild the old Soviet/Russian empire, he wants Russia to be an influential Great Power like it was for centuries (until very recently), and gobbling up Ukraine was the next logical step in that process (after Chechnya/Georgia/Crimea).

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

CommieGIR posted:

"We're not at war, conscription happens all the time!"

Special Human Choosing Operation

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Also if “what I want to hear” is that George Soros is the puppet master trying to destroy Russia, then like

Yeah

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

spankmeister posted:

Idk there's definitely an element of him drinking his own kool aid going on. He probably really believes most if not all color revolutions and especially the one in Ukraine was orchestrated by western powers.

I'm sure he's aware that countries in the former Soviet space having revolutions favors the West, that the longer Russia waits, the further these countries will drift from Russian influence because Russia has no soft power to entice its satellites once they depose Russian crony governments, and that this motivates him. I also asumme he thinks this is "unfair" in his imperial conception of the world because the West encroaches on the rightful and god-given Russian empire. But that's a far cry from "omg George Soros is coming to get us with an army of secret CIA NGOs!!!"

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I mean is there a limit to how many minorities they can conscript and send to their deaths? As long as they're not plugged in to the real economy (see that horrible article on who cares about western goods we measure wealth in winters' worth of canned food) there's no impact on the ~100 oligarchs that comprise the entire citizenship of Russia.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Strategic Tea posted:

I mean is there a limit to how many minorities they can conscript and send to their deaths? As long as they're not plugged in to the real economy (see that horrible article on who cares about western goods we measure wealth in winters' worth of canned food) there's no impact on the ~100 oligarchs that comprise the entire citizenship of Russia.
I mean there’s one limit if you think about it.

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane
I like the peter zeihan interpretation for why this war happened: russia wants to take control of the natural choke points created by various mountain ranges in order to more easily defend their boarders. This war was always going to happen. Same reason why they went to Georgia and why the back Armenia.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

BrassRoots posted:

I like the peter zeihan interpretation for why this war happened: russia wants to take control of the natural choke points created by various mountain ranges in order to more easily defend their boarders. This war was always going to happen. Same reason why they went to Georgia and why the back Armenia.

Little of column A, little of column B. Like, it's not an accident that the historical Russian Empire extends out to the geographic boundaries that Zeihan describes.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Whenever you see someone simping for putin and talking about how Maidan was CIA backed or w/e bullshit they want to believe and poor little Russia did nothing wrong. Make sure to remind them that EE countries were telling everyone 15-20 years ago that Russia will invade Ukraine in the future.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

And how did Eastern Europe know... unless they were behind it all along???

LEAKED: Polish defence minister BLABS russian invasion plans three years before they happen!

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

Toxic Mental posted:

Also if “what I want to hear” is that George Soros is the puppet master trying to destroy Russia, then like

Yeah

What I want to hear is that Putin and his cronies are dumb and hosed up because they believe stupid things.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Im not even sure they believe stupid things, I think theyve learned to tell putin what he wants to hear or they get the ole spicy tea.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Shinjobi posted:

That poor cactus, what did it do to deserve that???

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!
Ukroglobohomocactus

Burns
May 10, 2008

Alchenar posted:

Little of column A, little of column B. Like, it's not an accident that the historical Russian Empire extends out to the geographic boundaries that Zeihan describes.

Ehh that idea kind of falls for me when one considers modern military systems. It is all about resource extraction in my view. See most normal countries engage in a thing called trade but Russia is used to just stealing poo poo from all of its subject territories.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Trade is just two-way stealing with extra steps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Party In My Diapee posted:

Excluding nuclear weapons, is Russia restricting itself from using its full military power and population to shorten the war against Ukraine or are they legitimately unable to militarily defeat their former subject on the border?

Would China and the US have similar difficulties if they tried to invade Korea or Canada due to the way modern warfare works?

As it turns out, 25+ years of grift literally rotted their full military power. Whatever might they have, they're using all of it in Ukraine.

China would suffer similar results, although China has no illusions about the grift in their military (:ssh: its as bad as Russia :ssh:). The biggest tell for a Chinese invasion will be Xi rounding up and executing generals for :airquote: theft :airquote:.

The US could simultaneously invade & conquer Canada and Mexico in days*. It wouldnt even necessarily lower the US threat projection abroad. The USMC alone has 3x as many warbirds as the Canadian Air Force.

*getting generals to order soldiers to do it is another matter entirely.