Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Keep in mind they are playing Sky Evolution, which is completely rebalanced and has some different mechanics.

I should note, then, that the guide I'm following is under the original Trails in the Sky (PSP) section of Gamefaqs. I don't know if there is one for Evolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

I really like Daybreak's change with this, where you can keep track of who you've spoken to via the minimap (and the number of people to speak to is also smaller, but usually more substantive).
Crossbell is absolutely the worst about this, because you have literally the entire game space to cover with every event flag hit as opposed to just the current chapter's region in every other game. Doing the rounds unavoidably gets monotonous no matter how many neat little stories they pack in.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

Ytlaya posted:

I think your mistake here (which is the same one I made when first playing CS3/CS4) was caring about the Break system to begin with and not just blowing everything up with Arts (plus Rean or Crow or whoever you gave the high physical damage Master Quartzes to).

Thing is I’m dealing sigificant damage just spamming crafts and s-crafts in reverie, where before in cs3/4, if I didn’t break beforehand, would be doing like basic attack damage or less.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Amppelix posted:

what the gently caress, to get one of the books in zero you need to do it during one specific main quest that doesn't update anyone else's dialogue???

ok trails, why am i even bothering to talk to everyone if this is how you're gonna do me lmao

The prologue SC book that you get from examining a book on a bed still takes the cake by far as like the only case in the entire series that you need to examine geography without being explicitly told to.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Amppelix posted:

what the gently caress, to get one of the books in zero you need to do it during one specific main quest that doesn't update anyone else's dialogue???

ok trails, why am i even bothering to talk to everyone if this is how you're gonna do me lmao

The one that always makes me mad is the time in Zero that moves you into a dungeon during the cutscene, and to get the book you need to walk right back out and talk to someone like three screens away. No, you can't finish the dungeon first.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Trails has been enormously helpful for my mental health journey away from compulsive completionism.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

I also thought that the mystery about the final Divine Knight meant that one of the protagonists was going to get it, instead of just another member of the antagonist group.

While neat, I do like that Rufus got the last Divine Knight just see him go full mask off and reveal what a power hungry utter poo poo he was the whole time

It makes the contrast in Reverie where he becomes the Quattro Bajeena of Trails all the more interesting and compelling too

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Nov 1, 2023

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Einander posted:

The one that always makes me mad is the time in Zero that moves you into a dungeon during the cutscene, and to get the book you need to walk right back out and talk to someone like three screens away. No, you can't finish the dungeon first.
yeah this is that one lol

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Duvalie JPN voice so much funner to listen to desu wa

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

cleared the 3rd stratum.
got like 6 day dreams and bunch of mini-games to take care of now till going back on the main story x_x

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Ys IX Chapter 8: Falcom sure does love their loyal soldier clinging to a long-ended war turns to atrocities out of misguided patriotism characters. The only meaningful difference between (Trails in the Sky, Ys IX) Colonel Richard from Sky 1 and Chatelard from Ys IX is that the latter has an annoying catchphrase and probably won't be rehabilitated.

It is sort of interesting to contrast how the authorial perspective on Imperialism differs between Trails and Ys. Trails treats Erebonia as a vicious bunch of dickheads, and their annexations as unjust/tragic. Meanwhile Ys seems to think of Romn as a basically benign/civilizing force, and typically the lesser of two evils.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Do Ys and Trails have different writers or not? I've been operating under the assumption that they shared writers and they treat Ys as chances to decompress and write something simpler with less lore and metaplot as a rest before getting back into the super-interconnected and lore-heavy Trails.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Going by Wikipedia:

The main writer for Trails appears to be Hisayoshi Takeiri who wrote for every game but Reverie (which he co-directed). Yoshihiro Konda also wrote for 6 games, Shuuji Nishitani for 4, and Syunsei Shikata for 3.

No single person has wrote for every Ys game, and a lot of writers only stuck around for a single game. The most prolific contributors are Falcom CEO Toshihiro Kondo (4 games), Yoshihiro Konda (4 games), Hisayoshi Takeiri (3 games), and Syunsei Shikata (3 games).

So... kinda yes kinda no.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I was waiting for the Wazy of the CS3 crew to finally join up New Class VII :allears: looks so drat smug too

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ash rules

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
lol why the gently caress does Altina have heart marked bonding events get the gently caress out of here Falcom.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

A rabbit is fine

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

unimportantguy posted:

lol why the gently caress does Altina have heart marked bonding events get the gently caress out of here Falcom.

If I remember right and it’s her second bonding event then it’s really good despite it being a heart event

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

unimportantguy posted:

What, you have a problem with 20 year old Rean romancing a 13 year old emotionless homonculus that's he's been treating as his daughter?

Yeah, me too. Falcom has some weird hangups.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Doesn’t really matter to me since I’m never going to pursue it anyway

Beautiful Knight Lady ftw

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

when Duvalie route

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Duvalie's only ever had eyes for one person

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Some Numbers posted:

What, you have a problem with 20 year old Rean romancing a 13 year old emotionless homonculus that's he's been treating as his daughter?

Yeah, me too. Falcom has some weird hangups.

While it sucks rear end, at least I don't think Rean really reciprocates anything and generally treats stuff like her/Juna/Musse as "an adult trying to maturely deal with a child's feelings." His attitude up until the end seems to be "I guess I should stop ignoring this" (as opposed to the other more "serious" choices where he usually shows some interest himself).

Can't speak for the final-final scenes, though (the one where you can only choose one) since I chose Towa for that and haven't looked up the others.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

I chose Towa for that

Based

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?

SgtSteel91 posted:

Doesn’t really matter to me since I’m never going to pursue it anyway

Beautiful Knight Lady ftw

This is fair. Non-Laura romance options mean nothing to me. And in fairness it was a good bonding event once I got past my immediate visceral reaction and just went "okay I'll save first and reload if it gets too weird."

I still don't feel like "Altina romance" should in any way be an option though.

unimportantguy fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Nov 3, 2023

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it's a novel way to punish completionists who got used to the book collecting

Kale
May 14, 2010

GateOfD posted:

Duvalie JPN voice so much funner to listen to desu wa

I pretty quickly saw how she went from subordinate to breakout character after the first boss fight against her in Japanese. She's actually in that weird sort of place where she's clearly actually kind of legit, but not as legit as she thinks and still manages to talk more poo poo than getting it done on her own. The JP dub also kind of telegraphs the poo poo out of the fact that she's obviously a noble just based on the way she talks even if she doesn't outright support the alliance other than her Ouroboros assignment.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Idk, Duvalie was lowkey one of the hardest fights in Azure, as far as I’m concerned she backed her poo poo up even if she jobbed in CS2 because she just finished fighting the SSS.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Kuro 2 discussion question for an eventual localization: Obviously Japanese words have different connotations, but two things: firstly, is Quatre's 'birth state'/AGAB supposed to be 'agender', 'hermaphrodite' or 'intersex' (or another term I'm not familiar with)? and secondly, and this is more of a personal thing, is his current male gender identity either explicitly stated as or at least coded as being trans?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kuro 2 spoilers (that also apply to kuro 1 so fair warning) the mythological term 'hermaphrodite' refers to someone who fully displays fully functioning both 'male' and 'female' sexual characteristics. this was used to refer to intersex people, but due to the medical realities of being intersex not really lining up with the mythological term, as well as fetishistic/negative connotations it had accrued, in the past few decades there's been more of a push to use 'intersex' in a medical/real world context.

quatre is referred to as 'a being that is both male and female' and given angelic symbolism, and dual-gender stuff is pretty common in religious figures across mythologies, so my assumption is that quatre is fully both sexes, in a way that a real world intersex person isn't. beyond that, he clearly and strongly identifies as male, since he dislikes being referred to as a girl, despite his sometimes feminine fashion sense, as well as going out of his way to hide his chest when bathing with the other guys.

this is never really explicitly stated as trans in the game in the sense that quatre turns to the camera and uses the word 'trans', and has some mythological stuff that plays fast and loose, but it isn't really a 'trans metaphor.' an intersex person who identifies as male is just a person who exists in real life, there's not really that much abstraction. quatre worries about being different from other people, is ashamed of his body, the others reassure him that they just see him as a dude they're friends with. these are pretty normal struggles rl intersex people face, adding angel wings and a boss fight where quatre shoots lasers doesn't really change the raw text.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Thanks for the explanation, I was just working off of incomplete data and wanted some holes filled in, appreciate it Endo

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Last Celebration posted:

Idk, Duvalie was lowkey one of the hardest fights in Azure, as far as I’m concerned she backed her poo poo up even if she jobbed in CS2 because she just finished fighting the SSS.

The problem is that she jobbed in CS2 twice.

The second time is justified, since she'd just taken on the whole SSS, but the first time, she just sort of folded to Class 7.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

The problem is that she jobbed in CS2 twice.

The second time is justified, since she'd just taken on the whole SSS, but the first time, she just sort of folded to Class 7.

The first time I can honestly see her underestimating Class 7 and getting blindsided. The second time is as you said. The third time at the Infernal Castle is when she starts to get serious and Class 7 ends up needing to be saved by Toval and Olivert

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Oh boy a quest where Leonora has a friendly swimming match with the mercenary who tried to kill her classmates.

huh

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Trails is kind of weird about rehabilitating villains

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

She’s also a Jaeger, they’re whole deal is “trying to gut you when on the clock, but off hours they’ll share a beer with you at the pub.”

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Technically Leonora is not a former Jaeger, she's a former pirate.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

SgtSteel91 posted:

She’s also a Jaeger, they’re whole deal is “trying to gut you when on the clock, but off hours they’ll share a beer with you at the pub.”

It’s also Shirley though, the girl who dropped a chandelier on a civilian to find an eternal rival to fight to the death with, and was disappointed/confused why she was still alive after their fight, because she was entirely willing to die for doing something that hosed up if it meant she could die in glorious combat having the time of her life like her uncle. That girl ain’t right even by jaeger standards.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Last Celebration posted:

It’s also Shirley though, the girl who dropped a chandelier on a civilian to find an eternal rival to fight to the death with, and was disappointed/confused why she was still alive after their fight, because she was entirely willing to die for doing something that hosed up if it meant she could die in glorious combat having the time of her life like her uncle. That girl ain’t right even by jaeger standards.

nd yet, they're trying to rehabilitate her too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Justin_Brett posted:

Oh boy a quest where Leonora has a friendly swimming match with the mercenary who tried to kill her classmates.

huh

Its a funny bit.