Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
In my experience, "all these new safety features on cars don't work or are actually more unsafe" is code for "I don't want to bother to understand how they work or what they mean why is my steering wheel vibrating wtf"

That said, I could do without them because it's just more crap that can break and screw things up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

The amount of our grown adult friends who will sit in the back of our 2024 Subaru until the seatbelt ding is at 200% volume is amazing. I have to treat them like children and male them put it on. This includes our 89 year old grandparents.

I also like when it tells me to check for the baby in the backseat but it was really my idiot friend

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

MrQwerty posted:

Sometimes they had football players on the label of the can

YES THOSE ASSHOLES THAT RAID US

"Caesar has marked you for death and the Cardinals obey! Hut hut hut!"

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I have Amazon Prime, just because it's convenient to regularly ship certain necessities to the house instead of going out. I started regularly choosing the delayed delivery date for Prime Day, because I'd get a Prime Video credit for doing so.

Now, those credits aren't available anymore. Furthermore, most of the Prime Video movies I had on my 'to buy' list have all seen significant price hikes - nothing is under $12.99. Previously, there were $4.99 to $9.99 movies peppered in.

Were too many people buying cheap movies?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Red posted:

I have Amazon Prime, just because it's convenient to regularly ship certain necessities to the house instead of going out. I started regularly choosing the delayed delivery date for Prime Day, because I'd get a Prime Video credit for doing so.

Now, those credits aren't available anymore. Furthermore, most of the Prime Video movies I had on my 'to buy' list have all seen significant price hikes - nothing is under $12.99. Previously, there were $4.99 to $9.99 movies peppered in.

Were too many people buying cheap movies?

I used it for Kindle books, but yeah. It seems to have been replaced by a 1% cashback if you have the Amazon visa.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

naem posted:

I worry we will remember now 2023 as the good ol’ days soon

As they say in Russia, "On average we live pretty well. Not as good as last year, but better than next year."

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Girl Scout Cookies - just not as good as they used to be, I tell ya what.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

redshirt posted:

They had some kind of raspberry one last year that was new(?) and it owned and then I couldn't find anymore and Mrs. Possum was unhappy

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

ghost emoji posted:

I haven't used Spotify in a while. Tried it out at work today. I counted six ads in a row before they played two songs and then played more ads. I am so sick of advertising. I don't have any money, I'm not buying your poo poo!

Thinking about this:
As basic things like usability and privacy and "not having 75% of the experience be ads" all get locked up behind subscriptions (more than currently/recently I mean), why will those ads and privacy violations still have value?

The ultimate goal of all of this is to get money from people, but it you've neatly sliced out the portion of your audience with disposable income by turning your ad-supported tier into hell itself, who's going to pay to place ads there?

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
Zaxby's soda cups are smaller. That is all.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Atopian posted:

The ultimate goal of all of this is to get money from people, but it you've neatly sliced out the portion of your audience with disposable income by turning your ad-supported tier into hell itself, who's going to pay to place ads there?

On YouTube, the answer is disinformation campaigns, stuff marketed to people with punisher skulls on their pickups, and weird as hell poo poo that seems to be from a company but I can't even tell what they're trying to sell me.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

redshirt posted:

Well they sure ain’t giving you as many as they used to

Box is like half plastic tray now

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Dip Viscous posted:

On YouTube, the answer is disinformation campaigns, stuff marketed to people with punisher skulls on their pickups, and weird as hell poo poo that seems to be from a company but I can't even tell what they're trying to sell me.

Ah, I guess. People who don't have any money are still people even in our late capitalist hellscape.
Of course, since it is indeed a late capitalist hellscape, that just means the exploitation doesn't stop when the bank account hits zero.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Atopian posted:

Thinking about this:
As basic things like usability and privacy and "not having 75% of the experience be ads" all get locked up behind subscriptions (more than currently/recently I mean), why will those ads and privacy violations still have value?

you mean like from the toilet?

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

If I start having to watch ads to use the toilet, people are going to have to update their definition for "enshittification".

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Atopian posted:

If I start having to watch ads to use the toilet, people are going to have to update their definition for "enshittification".

:lol:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Why are there so many ads when people have no money

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Professor Shark posted:

The ads are just the penance we deserve along the way.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

ProperCauldron posted:

When you go to big stores like Target or Home Depot and suddenly your phone internet no longer works. Like god forbid you want to research products n prices, check out market. I deserve a reward for walking into your store, instead I get a punishment. Pretty evil I gotta say.

Going to restaurants or cafes where you need to scan a QR code to get to their online menu because there's no physical menu to look at, but you can't get a connection and they haven't thought about having open wifi.

Edit: even better when it's a chain place that want you to go through a whole signup process to order and pay on your phone while you're sitting at the table (or install and verify through their app), but there's no guest checkout so you have to go through an elaborate login and email verification process if you want to do it. And all with a lovely connection.

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Nov 2, 2023

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Professor Shark posted:

Because “customers have no money” is not a problem a company can solve. Surely the reason no one is buying is because not not enough people know about us! I DEMAND EYEBALLS

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

Because “customers have no money” is not a problem a company can solve. Surely the reason no one is buying is because not not enough people know about us! I DEMAND EYEBALLS

I mean, a company could pay its workers more, so they have more money to spend in the economy. Though it might still end up like this:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Going to restaurants or cafes where you need to scan a QR code to get to their online menu because there's no physical menu to look at, but you can't get a connection and they haven't thought about having open wifi.

Edit: even better when it's a chain place that want you to go through a whole signup process to order and pay on your phone while you're sitting at the table (or install and verify through their app), but there's no guest checkout so you have to go through an elaborate login and email verification process if you want to do it. And all with a lovely connection.
I don't understand why you would get that far. Genuinely as soon as I hit "scan this qr code" I'd be walking out the door.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Let me guess, this bullshit is why restaurants stopped putting menus on their site so I could decide what I want before I go there.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

What else is the marketing department supposed to do with their time?

naem
May 29, 2011

Professor Shark posted:

Virigoth posted:

The ads are just the penance we deserve along the way.

a line of monks in ragged robes holding boards, marching with their heads bowed

“Please like an suuub scriiiiiiibe..”

*WHACK*

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Professor Shark posted:

wash bucket posted:

What else is the marketing department supposed to do with their time?

fun fact marketing is all made up and the points dont matter

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

GolfHole posted:

They got them scientists working on brain waves and poo poo for commercials now.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Got to be honest, I have yet to encounter a restaurant that doesn't have a physical menu standing by and also doesn't have it posted online.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
What's the brain wave for having disposable income

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

GolfHole posted:

the supplement industry is particularly bad. you can make pretty much any claim you want so long as you say the magic words "this statement has not been evaluated by the FDA blah blah blah"

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

The YouTube app now requires you to tap play after skipping ahead in a video

Got to keep that engagement up!

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I have been to places that don't have printed menus on-hand and it's the worst. I remember one place, I had a lovely connection in there and also theyd uploaded the full 300dpi print version of their menu, which was HUGE and took forever to load.

The QR menu stuff upsets me because it's also a way of quietly filtering out by class, by making sure your restaurant can't even be used by someone lacking this technology. So basically, GTFO homeless people, your money's no good here.

Every restaurant should have printed menus and take cash, so that anyone can just walk in and order and pay if needed; not doing so is basically saying only people of certain means and etiquette are allowed here. You shouldn't need to acquire a certain level of technology just to order and pay for food.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Nov 2, 2023

naem
May 29, 2011

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Every restaurant should have printed menus and take cash, so that anyone can just walk in and order and pay if needed; not doing so is basically saying only people of certain means and etiquette are allowed here. You shouldn't need to acquire a certain level of technology just to order and pay for food.

my last year living in sf a lot of local restaurants had closed, some had rebranded and reopened

I went to a mexican place that had really good food and large portions, typical americanized comfort food

but new management had hired snooty waiters who didn’t seem to like the looks of me and the menu was all large-plate small-plate and after waiting 45 minutes they brought out one lonely individual item with no sides on an empty plate

it had the same hokey decor as it had always had and I’m pretty sure the same cooks in the back using the same sysco ingredients

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

The QR menu stuff upsets me because it's also a way of quietly filtering out by class, by making sure your restaurant can't even be used by someone lacking this technology. So basically, GTFO homeless people, your money's no good here.

This is also why America is so car dependent. Suburbanites don’t want walkable cities because the poors might walk into their neighborhood and do drugs at them. Making everything require a car is a poverty filter.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Don't forget the qr-only menu is also an easy way to quietly make every menu item Market Price

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Sentient Data posted:

Don't forget the qr-only menu is also an easy way to quietly make every menu item Market Price

I almost forgot how mad Taco Bell surging pricing made me. Thanks.

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011

wash bucket posted:

This is also why America is so car dependent. Suburbanites don’t want walkable cities because the poors might walk into their neighborhood and do drugs at them. Making everything require a car is a poverty filter.

The end game of this is resident only parking. I live in a really diverse town that borders a rich town on the beach that is 98% white. There literally is not a single parking spot in the entire rich town that is not resident only, including at any of the businesses. They sure as poo poo have a bus line though so all of their paid staff can come in, clean their houses and gardens, and gtfo.

Jokes on them, they’ll be under water in a few years.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
my favorite chinese food place sold to new owners and they remodeled the inside, doubled the prices, the food got worse and they dont do dinner specials anymore

i have been going there for nearly a decade and this is my 9/11

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

redshirt posted:

They got them scientists working on brain waves and poo poo for commercials now.

I must destroy my brain to save it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

I have been to places that don't have printed menus on-hand and it's the worst. I remember one place, I had a lovely connection in there and also theyd uploaded the full 300dpi print version of their menu, which was HUGE and took forever to load.

I've been to places that give you an ipad with the menu. I'm fine with that