Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
why would you remove the stupid mustache when its the best thing about it??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
from now through February I'm about to go from no backlog to (no particular order):

HG Lfrith Thorn (next build)
HG GM Moroccan Front
HG Heavy Gundam (Rollout)
MG Tallgeese Fluegel
MG Sandrock Armadillo
HG Maxter
MG Epyon Sturm und Drang
HG Demi Garrison
HG Lfrith Anavata
MG Shenlong Liaoya
MG Heavyarms Igel
MG Deathscythe Roussette

Uh. Whoops.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

MechaX posted:

I am tempted to get that Hyaku Shiki Kai but $100 for an uglier, even if I do like it, Hyaku Shiki is a hard sell. Plus, I still have my HG Delta Gundam in the backlog if I want to deal with an obscenely gold kit, and that one is at least also primarily undergated.

I know Zeta Define is pretty new, but have they ever done a Zero Shiki kit?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Blaziken386 posted:

(suletta's face is apparently made with waterslide decals, and im slightly nervous...)

She comes with 3 face plates, one of which is pre-decorated, and the other two use waterslides.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

SnakesRevenge posted:

I know Zeta Define is pretty new, but have they ever done a Zero Shiki kit?

I’m a little surprised one hasn’t hit p-Bandai but it doesn’t seem so

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Synthbuttrange posted:

https://gundam.fandom.com/wiki/WD-M01MS_%E2%88%80_Gundam_Shin

theres a bunch of other crappy design modifications here. Completely borks up the clean line flow the original has.

Bolting the O Raiser to the Turn A is like driving an F-22 and strapping a Cessna on top and calling it a FAST pack

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thought I could cobble up a little tray to keep my water slide decals from escaping and being impossible to retrieve out of sprue bits, glue and some fabric. Works fine, $0 cost.

also I've been in a rabbit hole looking up Chuchu's Demi customs and there's so many of them. All with a similar theme though. BIG WEAPON AND/OR ARMS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jafwtylgee0

edit:

comin along

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 2, 2023

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

my royal red ex gundam marker came in the mail today!

pros: looks loving incredible, holy poo poo
cons: i knew it ran like crazy but even with a tiny tiny paintbrush this thing went all over the place. goddamn. i'll likely use it for bits that need to be painted red in the future, but like. extremely sparingly.

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Hold up there; You got your kid a 30MM kit and no accessory packs to jazz it up with?

Get back to the hobby store and make that pile of boxes a little taller! :colbert:

He's only four, and is ADD as all hell. we put together one of the first grade Zakus last year and it took a couple of months to get done, so I was trying to keep things simple.

Then again Suruga-ya keeps running that free shipping promo every weekend...

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lots of goofs here because it was an old model I pulled apart to repaint. Nubs and seamlines I didnt catch. Pre-shading turned out to be a big waste of time too when I could just do it better and more accurately after with weathering paste. Still, fun to do, and looks way better than monochromatic red plastic.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

looks great to me

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Agreed. Like that color scheme too.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Also cursing the non color separated pipes on the arms they're so difficult to mask and paint sob

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

Also cursing the non color separated pipes on the arms they're so difficult to mask and paint sob

That's one of the advantages of the more advanced grades, they're often separate pieces.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

All these different paints i have are going to bite me in the rear end. Finally did some experiments to clarify what they can do. Mr Color's got a great range, but I love Mr Hobby Aqueous because its odourless. Tamiya Acrylic's got some colors neither of the above have but stinks like hell. Tamiya Acrylics are mixable with Mr Hobby Aqueous and water. Neither are mixable with Mr Color, they just clump up. All are mixable with Mr Hobby Levelling Thinner though. Levelling thinner wont make them all mixable. I should stick to one but drat you colors.

And all of the above are going to give me cancer or something I should have just stuck to model acrylics like Vallejo or similar :v

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Is Mr. Hobby Aqueous really all that different to airbrush with than your Vallejo paints? They should both be water based acrylics right? Maybe the mr. hobby stuff has a bit more alcohol in it?

The only toxic stuff you mentioned there is the Mr.Color lacquer paints and the leveling thinner (which is designed for lacquers moreso than acrylics as far as I know?). So definitely wear a mask when using either of those. The three acrylic lines should be safer to use though.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Mr Hobby Aqueous and Tamiya Acrylic both have flammable warnings on them, I'm pretty sure they're at least a little more toxic than Vallejo/citadel/army painter etc. The only weird thing is they're happy to be diluted with either water or solvent thinners. The thing that they do better than the water-only acrylics are they're super resistant once they're dried and set which makes weathering, washing, etc really easy and protects the plastic underneath.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Well alcohol itself is flammable so any alcohol-based acrylics are gonna have that warning regardless of what other ingredients are in them.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I did spot an incredibly funny product this week though:

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

*$750 PG came in like a week ago*
*still waiting for the LED kit*

No I don't have a problem why do you ask?

A fun kit, but the gold disk section on the shoulders will pop itself out if you try to lower it too much and it gets pushed by the arm, and the feet are a solid line so standing it can get a bit awkward.

Also it's just barely able to fit in my display case. If I tip the head forward at all it'll hit the top.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Buck Wildman posted:

looks great to me

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Bought myself a Zowort heavy today. The new hobby shop has a pretty massive selection of models. It's pretty funny when I can buy a gunpla kit for under $30 and they're right next to a Bandai 40k Space Marine selling for almost triple that. And that's before looking at the absurd games workshop kit prices

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

BisbyWorl posted:

Also it's just barely able to fit in my display case. If I tip the head forward at all it'll hit the top.

Would probably help with your display space and getting it to stand easier if you put it in more of a crouched lumbering pose. It'd be a more natural stance for Exodia as well.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I’ve tried googling around to find an answer and I feel like I’m going nuts because no one else seems to have this issue. Why the hell are my waterslides so inconsistent? I was able to put some waterslides on fine (MG Qubeley, HG Nu Gundam, and the new MG Dom’s eye), but since then I’ve had trouble with them on my HG Kämpfer, HG Sazabi, and, most recently, HG 7-11 Gundam. Sometimes I put them in the water, wait, and they’ll slide off just fine, and sometimes they’ll just stick to the paper or I have to take them off the paper with an xacto knife to apply. I’ve tried using warm water and letting the decals soak for 3-10 seconds, and then anywhere from 90 seconds to a couple minutes later, I check for sliding. What am I doing wrong with the bad ones?

Burns
May 10, 2008

You may be soaking the decals for too long.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Main System: Activating Combat Mode.

Really fun quick build. Also unlike the Daribalde the feet weren't hollow. Pretty much no peg holes left open outside of two easily covered shoulder holes.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Burns posted:

You may be soaking the decals for too long.

I didn’t even think this could be an issue, I thought more water would help it come off. I’ve only used Bandai’s packed-in waterslides, should I stick with just 3 seconds of soaking?

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I’ve tried googling around to find an answer and I feel like I’m going nuts because no one else seems to have this issue. Why the hell are my waterslides so inconsistent? I was able to put some waterslides on fine (MG Qubeley, HG Nu Gundam, and the new MG Dom’s eye), but since then I’ve had trouble with them on my HG Kämpfer, HG Sazabi, and, most recently, HG 7-11 Gundam. Sometimes I put them in the water, wait, and they’ll slide off just fine, and sometimes they’ll just stick to the paper or I have to take them off the paper with an xacto knife to apply. I’ve tried using warm water and letting the decals soak for 3-10 seconds, and then anywhere from 90 seconds to a couple minutes later, I check for sliding. What am I doing wrong with the bad ones?

Kinda hard to tell exactly what's going on. Are you using the same manufacturer for each set of decals? Could just be a difference in maker.
Are you using a wet swab to get them off the paper? How are you holding the decal while you're trying to remove them?
I've often had decals take a few extra second to be ready to come off, but never 90 seconds. If you dunk them for five they should be ready to go in 30, maybe 45 at most.
Is the only problem with them coming off the paper? Are they sticking good? No wrinkling? No folding over?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
different brands of waterslides have different formulations and are supposed to be soaked for different durations.
some want 3 seconds some want like 20 seconds.

the manuals in bandai kits that come with waterslides explicitly say 3. soaking for too long is probably causing your problems.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 4, 2023

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

Mr Hobby Aqueous and Tamiya Acrylic both have flammable warnings on them, I'm pretty sure they're at least a little more toxic than Vallejo/citadel/army painter etc. The only weird thing is they're happy to be diluted with either water or solvent thinners. The thing that they do better than the water-only acrylics are they're super resistant once they're dried and set which makes weathering, washing, etc really easy and protects the plastic underneath.

This was the whole point of my hand wringing about "what are Mr. Color paints, actually," was a few months ago when I was having problems with Odenkan paint bubbling after application. My conclusion at this point is that the Mr. Color marketing sheet is right--they are NOT LACQUER. They are solvent-based acrylic ala Tamiya. This also nicely explains why Leveling Thinner seems to be this magic liquid that makes all the popular paints better--they aren't true lacquers.

I do not have the chemistry or paint making background to substantiate any of this, so it's :tinfoil: all the way down. But I think the oft-repeated "Mr. Color is lacquer" maxim in the hobby community is wrong.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
From some googling i found the material safety data sheet for Mr. Hobby thinners linked here on a random australian hobby shop's website, but it was linkrotted so I had to grab it from the internet archive here
Aaren't these supposed to be publicly available by law? I can't find any official source for the MSDS, maybe it's only for employees who work in the factories or handle it in stores or something.

Anyways it seems like it has 5 active ingredients:
  1. https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/31256
  2. https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/3776 (Hey it's isopropyl alcohol, I recognize this one!)
  3. https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/6560
  4. https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/Methyl-isobutyl-ketone
  5. https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/8133

Pubchem lists #3 as corrosive and #5 as acutely toxic if inhaled (and according to wikipedia causes cancer in rats, but only with very high doses).
All but #1 are flammable.
#4 is only listed as an irritant but it says chronic exposure can cause things like headaches, nausea, and an enlarged liver. Wear a mask! It's also specifically listed as a solvent for lacquer paints unlike the rest which just say "paint" or nothing.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 4, 2023

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

I'm in the middle of putting waterslides on my HG Aerial. 5 seconds in the bath and then straight to business seems to work for these ones. I also pre-wet the surface so I'll have a bit more time to nudge it into place, since that takes me a few tries usually.
Took a lot of cursing and readjusting, but I don't think it's coming out too bad for someone with severe intermittent tremors.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

paint fumes and plastic dust from filing are both perfectly healthy and you should make sure to breathe in as much as possible, to become stronger

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Once day I'll be a gunpla...

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The HG Aerial is such a nice kit. I have the P-Bandai Permet 6 variant, but I strongly recommend everyone to get any version they can.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Solid Clear Aerial status: kickin' rad :hellyeah:

(she doesnt normally come with the premolded shell units like regular aerial does, but I didn't use that on my original aerial because i thought it was too flashy. This version of Aerial wants to be incredibly flashy, so, she got it instead!)

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

very rude of suruga-ya to do free shipping for two weekends in a row, and then stop doing so after i expect it to keep happening. yes I know i dont exactly have ROOM for another half dozen gunpla but that doesnt mean I dont want them??

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

crying laughing over this stupid shitpost of a diorama. found via unsourced discord posts

Blaziken386 posted:

very rude of suruga-ya to do free shipping for two weekends in a row, and then stop doing so after i expect it to keep happening. yes I know i dont exactly have ROOM for another half dozen gunpla but that doesnt mean I dont want them??

How much notice does the site give about shipping?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Synthbuttrange posted:

crying laughing over this stupid shitpost of a diorama. found via unsourced discord posts

Nekomachinegun!

https://x.com/necome_titan/status/1708104150284955940?s=20

His entire thing is just different parody versions of that one scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Synthbuttrange posted:

lol