Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

aren't the padres one of the teams that got left high and dry on their RSN deal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

A fan is suing Jorge Soler and the Braves alleging she was injured when he threw a ball her way during game 3 of the '21 Series.

quote:

ATLANTA, Ga. (Atlanta News First) - A lawsuit has been filed in Cobb County Superior Court against the Atlanta Braves and 2021 World Series MVP Jorge Soler, alleging the team’s former outfielder threw a baseball into a Truist Park crowd and struck a fan in the eye.

According to the Oct. 25, 2023, lawsuit, Soler threw the ball into the stands on Oct. 29, 2021, during game three of the World Series between the Braves and Houston Astros. Soler threw the ball, according to the lawsuit, “overhand, with a great deal of speed and force.”

Soler “threw the ball with such force and speed that it hit” the plaintiff, identified as Mayra Norris, “with such force and speed that it hit Ms. Norris directly in her right eye causing extensive and excruciating injury.”

The lawsuit said Norris had no time to react or avoid the ball’s impact. The alleged incident happened when the ball was not in play.
Lawsuit says it happened before the start of the fifth inning, I guess the ball he was playing catch with to warm up? Haven't seen anyone pick out video of it.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Do these cases ever go anywhere? There is an assumed risk when you go to a baseball game, pretty sure when you enter the stadium you're agreeing to it and these cases get tossed out.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

Let the manager have 1 ball / strike challenge, but thats it. They don't get another just because a call got overturned.

No. Stop. Get some help.

Just go full robo-ump on the strike zone. Challenges suck.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Popete posted:

Do these cases ever go anywhere? There is an assumed risk when you go to a baseball game, pretty sure when you enter the stadium you're agreeing to it and these cases get tossed out.
That's my impression; iirc people say "getting hit by a baseball at a baseball game" is a classic law school example used to illustrate the relevant concepts.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
This is not surprising given every single rumor out of the org since the offseason has been that they're going to look to massively slash payroll.
e. Also the part not mentioned in the tweet is that the Padres actually wanted to take out $100M in loans, but MLB only allowed them to borrow up to $50M because they were worried about the Padres being unable to comply with the league debt servicing rules. :eyepop:

Popete posted:

Part of the process of buying an MLB ticket is that buried in all that text you click through is a liability waiver, yes. However waivers aren't magic contract law and if you get injured as a result of gross negligence or in a way that otherwise wouldn't be an expected assumed risk you can often successfully sue. ie the waiver would protect the team if you slipped on your way down the stairs back to your seat from getting snacks and hurt yourself on the fall, but probably wouldn't protect them if due to poor maintenance a piece of roofing or signage broke off and fell on you, injuring you.

In the case of this particular suit I think it would come down to the video of the actual throw into the crowd. If Soler really did whizz some 90+ MPH fastball overhand into the stands and beaned the woman maybe she's got a case, but otherwise I have to assume the court would say sitting in the OF is choosing to be in the one area without netting or any other kind of protection and thus you're knowingly accepting the risk of getting hit by foul balls, HR's, balls thrown into the stands, etc.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Nov 1, 2023

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

A challenge system would backfire because the ump would get pissed that the team made him look bad and would call all borderline pitches the other way as retribution

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Oh you got three of my calls overturned? gently caress you you’re getting a poo poo zone for the rest of the night!

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

Speaking of apparently he did an AMA on the Blue Jays subreddit and we got this gem:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

more falafel please posted:

aren't the padres one of the teams that got left high and dry on their RSN deal?

Yes, so MLB is producing and distributing their games.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Pobrecito posted:

Speaking of apparently he did an AMA on the Blue Jays subreddit and we got this gem:

Wow, for the first time in my life I have a tiny bit of respect for Cowboy Joe

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

This Padres loan news is gonna get trotted around as more owner PR.

But let’s peek at the numbers shall we? According to Forbes this past March, the Padres were worth $1.75B, a number Forbes claims was up 11% over the previous year. That means the team value increased by more than $173M in just one year. They just took out a loan for less than 1/3rd of that increase, and they absolutely got a rate that’s lower than 11%. The Padres could take out debt loads like that every year, indefinitely, and the owner would still be making money in the long run.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

bawfuls posted:

Why do we need to add a gamification to getting strike calls right?

Not for nothing but we already have this and it's called "Pitch Framing" and statheads seem to love it so :v:

That said I am pro-roboump until the current crop of umps can prove they aren't going to make wildly stupid calls, so I will only revisit this stance once Angel Hernandez and the like retire.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Eric the Mauve posted:

The Manfred Man is the exact opposite if a ghostrunner and after thousands of hours of wiffleball I will die on this hill so fight me

I mean technically you’re right but I don’t like invoking the name Manfred unless I have to

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Bregor posted:

I mean technically you’re right but I don’t like invoking the name Manfred unless I have to
the solution here is Zombie Runner

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

A fan is suing Jorge Soler and the Braves alleging she was injured when he threw a ball her way during game 3 of the '21 Series.

Lawsuit says it happened before the start of the fifth inning, I guess the ball he was playing catch with to warm up? Haven't seen anyone pick out video of it.

I should sue Soler for emotional distress for Game 6 in 2021.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Bregor posted:

It is so clearly a terrible idea that only the truly stupid and asinine mind can come up with that Manfred's name ought to be attached to it forever.

When he dies I hope his obituary opens with "Rob Manfred, the galaxy-brained Commissioner who thought putting someone on second base who had done nothing to earn it was a swell idea, died yesterday after a brief illness."

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Nov 2, 2023

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Traxis posted:

A challenge system would backfire because the ump would get pissed that the team made him look bad and would call all borderline pitches the other way as retribution

Literally the truth

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bawfuls posted:

This Padres loan news is gonna get trotted around as more owner PR.

But let’s peek at the numbers shall we? According to Forbes this past March, the Padres were worth $1.75B, a number Forbes claims was up 11% over the previous year. That means the team value increased by more than $173M in just one year. They just took out a loan for less than 1/3rd of that increase, and they absolutely got a rate that’s lower than 11%. The Padres could take out debt loads like that every year, indefinitely, and the owner would still be making money in the long run.

Most millionaires and billionaires are extremely cash-poor due to their net worth being tied up in long-term investments that can't easily be cashed out. I have no problem believing that Seidler found himself in a jam and needed an emergency cash injection.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Right but my point is it’s not a good indicator of the financial health of the Padres or long term viability of their current spending

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I'm positive that some other manager told that story gibbons told before

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'm positive that some other manager told that story gibbons told before

it's possible that Cowboy Joe has one joke

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I'm like 80% certain I heard it with Weaver and Haller at some point, except that can't be right because Weaver's teams never sucked while Haller was active

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'm like 80% certain I heard it with Weaver and Haller at some point, except that can't be right because Weaver's teams never sucked while Haller was active

Maybe Sparky Anderson? Or Lasorda?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

haha welcome rangers you're in the offseason now too! :v:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

glad that the world series is out of the way so we can get to important stuff: who the Chicago Cubs will sign in the offseason.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Folks, it's time to turn on the stove.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

glad that the world series is out of the way so we can get to important stuff: who the Chicago Cubs will sign in the offseason.

I'd rather think about who will sign Cody Bellinger

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
And then there were 5. Milwaukee. San Diego. Colorado. Tampa Bay. Seattle. Which one breaks their curse first?

Congrats Rangers. Hope my team, the Mariners, actually take a lesson from this and spend some drat money.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Seattle seems like they’ll be a drat good team for the next…3 years at least. I could easily see them win a World Series in the next 5 years.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
So is Bochy going to retire again?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Intruder posted:

I'd rather think about who will sign Cody Bellinger

duh, THE CUBS

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

R.D. Mangles posted:

Not a complete list but

Bellinger, Ohtani, Matt Chapman, Yamamoto

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Sydin posted:

Folks, it's time to turn on the stove.

*extremely NBA Jam voice*

IT’S HEATING UP

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Shohei Ohtani is a free agent at 6am tomorrow

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Bellinger and the Cubs seem like such a perfect match - I can’t wait to see how they Cubs this one!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Kirios posted:

Seattle seems like they’ll be a drat good team for the next…3 years at least. I could easily see them win a World Series in the next 5 years.

I'd sooner a 5-peat from the Cardinals

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I mean yes gently caress the Mariners forever and ever but I’m being objective here.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Popete posted:

Not a complete list but

Bellinger, Ohtani, Matt Chapman, Yamamoto

Looking forward to posting HELLO MOTO every 5 days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009