Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Good news sports fans, Twitch Kills Their Wife has disabled half the game.

https://twitter.com/Succinct_Punchy/status/1719888050082164796?t=UEYp5NvCgBhCcJnU3G6Q2A&s=19

https://twitter.com/BagOfDog/status/1719885462599287101?t=ZTMhSdwfVnDOw3GZ4beEhQ&s=19

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Nov 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

lol great start

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

But where do you use the it's trauma and it's bread stickers?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

"COMMUNITY DID NOT SUCCEED", indeed

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i feel your stress......

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Community did not smoke weed

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Finally got through an AW2 End of Part (late night gaming sessions: not great for puzzling!) and got to a lore dump sequence… drat they really are out here doing an Asylum Films version of Twin Peaks The Return. At least AW1 made a point of openly naming Stephen King as their creditor

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Horror Games Megathread: Community did not succeed

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm giving Alan Wake 2 an adjusted 0/10 because nothing in it was as surreal, horrifying, or insane as watching some CEO on the verge of tears rambling about the Silent Hill Ascension monetization scheme while ambient horror music played over the interview for some loving reason

https://twitter.com/JNavok/status/1719918706992521629?t=6lUigSsmKKiVL9RFS-ZN_w&s=19

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I kinda feel bad now tbh

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/Waffleman_/status/1719917869952069986?t=jGPcAD2fJ7W19HllM928vw&s=19

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Ascension and Stray Souls in the span of six days goddamn

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Who has poked at Stray Souls? It's supposed to be Gollum-bad outside of having a guest composer for Silent Hill. It also came out two days before the good Resident Evil clone.

Stephanie Sterling put a video up about it and even if you ignore Steph's commentary entirely and just judge it on what the happens in the game footage, it's a broken mess that runs like poo poo. And you shouldn't ignore the commentary because the devs are shithouses.

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023

Tired Moritz posted:

I kinda feel bad now tbh
In one of the preshows the guy gave an aside about the wisdom he learned working for the long time CEO of square enix, Yochi Wada, as routine an occurrence as it is these days I still have to pause and reflect on the lofty positions these people reach while getting absolutely dunked on by random online losers.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Kokoro Wish posted:

So what I'm hearing about Alan Wake 2 is that it's the Bloober Team level of follow up.
AWAN is not AW2.

Confusing sequel naming conventions strikes again.

(Besides, we all know the real Alan Wake 2 is Control’s DLC.)

Fake Name
Mar 6, 2009

"Han Solo, ha. If I'm around, you don't need that guy."

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I'm giving Alan Wake 2 an adjusted 0/10 because nothing in it was as surreal, horrifying, or insane as watching some CEO on the verge of tears rambling about the Silent Hill Ascension monetization scheme while ambient horror music played over the interview for some loving reason

https://twitter.com/JNavok/status/1719918706992521629?t=6lUigSsmKKiVL9RFS-ZN_w&s=19

This is kind of fascinating. It's the realisation of a man who has built a company around popular and proven game mechanics (User interaction, Battle Passes, FOMO etc) but can't make sense of the fact that with all the boxes ticked that the end result is something that the audience does not want and is actively hostile towards. A fantastic example of CEO-brain where they don't or have never actually been a fan of the product they are selling and can't comprehend what they've done wrong.

Also I know that Silent Hill as a series has emotional trauma as a major story beat, but having a fun "IT'S TRAUMA! :yotj:" emoji is just WTF.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Ralphie Otero the real hero of this story. Dude took the bait hook line and sinker

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Fake Name posted:

This is kind of fascinating. It's the realisation of a man who has built a company around popular and proven game mechanics (User interaction, Battle Passes, FOMO etc) but can't make sense of the fact that with all the boxes ticked that the end result is something that the audience does not want and is actively hostile towards. A fantastic example of CEO-brain where they don't or have never actually been a fan of the product they are selling and can't comprehend what they've done wrong.

Also I know that Silent Hill as a series has emotional trauma as a major story beat, but having a fun "IT'S TRAUMA! :yotj:" emoji is just WTF.

They done this before with IPs no one really cared about and weren't expecting a fanbase as rabid as 'still Silent Hill fans' lol

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023

Sakurazuka posted:

They done this before with IPs no one really cared about and weren't expecting a fanbase as rabid as 'still Silent Hill fans' lol
disagree, this is so absurdly gauche that any casual observer would pick up on it, it's gone beyond the fanbase. I mean metal gear survive at least was building off something that had been a part of the series since 3, the multiplayer goofiness.

idontpost69 fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Nov 2, 2023

Fake Name
Mar 6, 2009

"Han Solo, ha. If I'm around, you don't need that guy."

Sakurazuka posted:

I honestly don't think you can pin this on Silent Hill fans and more that this is the first thing they've done which has actually gained any real attention. If this was an Alan Wake tie in instead then i could see the same thing happening. Just bizarre and dumb design from the ground up.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Fake Name posted:

I honestly don't think you can pin this on Silent Hill fans and more that this is the first thing they've done which has actually gained any real attention. If this was an Alan Wake tie in instead then i could see the same thing happening. Just bizarre and dumb design from the ground up.

Horror is also a bad genre in general to do this kind of game with. Things like Twich Plays Pokémon worked because they were silly games to start with. To try and make an emotional Horror game while making if fall flat every step because bonglord69 is screaming about "pyramid cockhead" in chat is crazy.

They could have made a FMV single player COYA and sold it for a flat rate, which could have probably worked okay, but their first and only instinct is to make as much money as physically possible and you can't sell stickers or a battle pass for a single player game as well. So instead there is a game where you pay 20 bucks or whatever to have at best minimal influence over how the game actually plays.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I was just saying that their reaction was because it was the first time they'd done it with anything anyone actually cared about (also their other stuff was weird Facebook crap not streaming) and were not expecting the backlash, not 'blaming Silent Hill fans', jesus

But also lol the only worse (from the devs perspective!) fanbase they could have picked is like Fallout

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Something with this kind of structure could've worked with a game from the Until Dawn devs, something more schlocky and B-movie, filled with tropey characters designed for you to actively hate or cheer for.

Edit: I mean, before all the stupid monetization nonsense of course.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Morpheus posted:

Something with this kind of structure could've worked with a game from the Until Dawn devs, something more schlocky and B-movie, filled with tropey characters designed for you to actively hate or cheer for.

Edit: I mean, before all the stupid monetization nonsense of course.

Yeah exactly, you could just make FMV Until Dawn, which honestly would probably be cheaper than CGI animating all of it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

They should have never stopped using FMV in video games.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Shaun!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Fake Name posted:

i mean thats the problem. the problem with all later silent hill stuff but also especially here. silent hill 1-3 and, even kinda 4 to its credit, are games making an earnest attempt to explore dark psychological subjects and they do it in a pretty tasteful and understanding way, they are deeply sympathetic games that understand the kind of people they're trying to write about (mostly, silent hill 4 gets goofy but silent hill 4 is uh, obviously not a finished game)

western silent hill is. weirdly exploitative. it's a bunch of games that see, oh silent hill 2 was about a bad man who did a bad thing and forgot and he has guilt about it, and maybe there's an evil cult sometimes. they see oh, there was a nurse and she had a drug addiction. there's people with Trauma. these games are about Trauma, so we need to write a story About Trauma and about how You're A Man Who Did Something Bad. and thus you get, silent hill homecoming being about you going to the silent hill cult hq to fist fight the silent hill cult in order to resolve your buried childhood trauma over accidentally pushing your brother off a boat and then lying to yourself about joining the us marines so you could avoid the truth that you accidentally pushed your brother off a boat, also it defines whether you get the "best" ending or not by whether or not you choose to mercy kill your mom by shooting her in the face with a pistol when the game is, not actually presenting an immediate case for why you should shoot her and not try to help her, and whether you choose to forgive your dad for being abusive because well he had his reasons, and you know, forgiveness is always the right option.

and shattered memories being about what kind of dad you are and you win the game if you play the game correctly and get all the Good Dad Points by not getting distracted by uh, looking at the environmental design of the game. did you read that note about the choking game? drat, sorry dude, you just unlocked a few too many Sex Addict Points, now your relationship with your daughter is defined by how you ignored her to go gently caress women all the time. downpour is, probably the best western silent hill game somehow, and it's still a game that defines your ending 100% by what Morality Points you got. the fact that all these games define themselves this hard by this stuff obviously just because well, silent hill 2 had it, is incredibly funny considering silent hill 2 silently weighs its system to make it near impossible not to get Leave on a first playthrough unless you're actively trying, it clearly considers every other ending to be an extra weird thing for flavor. likewise silent hill 1's endings were just rewards for being willing to spend a bit more time doing thorough adventure gamey puzzling and exploration, silent hill 3's was just one weird extra thing if you went out of your way to make a lot of purposefully weird choices and silent hill 4's was just kinda a weird result of the games unfinished experimental nature.

ascension is kind of the logical end point of this stuff because once you've spent years on cheap, rushed contracted out games that only understand the surface elements of what they're trying to work off of, i mean of course you don't loving respect the ideas of that material enough to treat the most basic themes of it with any respect and of course if you're hiring people who are in a dumb detached ceo mindset they're not going to be capable of doing that either. and for a program like silent hill ascension, which is building its monetization so hard off of, this poo poo, you're going to just pull whatever crap you think people might find vaguely funny or merchandisable. we need funny fake chat dialog for our marketing material to show how the in-game chat will work, what's a recognizable thing about silent hill someone might post in chat about? oh yeah, cults. we need funny emoticons to sell people for 20 bucks. what's an emoticon we could make that's silent hill related if we already have one of pyramid head? oh hey, trauma is a part of these games, right? uhhh... big rainbow text saying IT'S TRAUMA! yeah let's go with that. that is the process, that this poo poo is made by

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Nov 2, 2023

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
asking people to buy the founder's pack for my new project, Rule of Rose: The Collapse, where you get a funny little sticker of an orphanage and a blimp. pay five dollars extra and you can even get one of a crying dad

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

Get an exclusive "dead dog" emoji for $9.99

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Coming 2024: World of World of Horror

I'm trying to think of a mainstream horror series that's a worse mismatch with the concept of having a live, diegetic Twtich chat. At first I was gonna say Fatal Frame, but even that makes more sense if it's a chat that shows up when you pull up your ghost-revealing camera phone or whatever.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Nov 2, 2023

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

girl dick energy posted:

Coming 2024: World of World of Horror

I'm trying to think of a mainstream horror series that's a worse mismatch with the concept of having a live, diegetic Twtich chat. At first I was gonna say Fatal Frame, but even that makes more sense if it's a chat that shows up when you pull up your ghost-revealing camera phone or whatever.

Also Fatal Frame is much more traditional horror (or sometimes cheesy jhorror exploitation). It's never trying to be deeply personal and psychological in the way Silent Hill was. J horror ghost story anthology is the kind of thing you could do a fmv movie, even one with audience participation if done competently, and make it work.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I think the fundamental issue is that a game being in the silent hill setting adds nothing of value and just drags the game down. Silent Hill 4 the room would have probably worked better if it wasn't associated with Silent Hill (which it wasn't even intended to be at the start). Maybe the Kojima Silent Hill would have breathed some life into the franchise, but it literally had a couple of the biggest names in horror with the project, along with the developer of one of the most popular game franchises of all time working on it.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

IMO the Silent Hill 3 UFO ending is the canonical closing chapter of the whole series

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Mr. Lobe posted:

IMO the Silent Hill 3 UFO ending is the canonical closing chapter of the whole series

god blesses this truth

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Disposable Scud posted:

Ascension and Stray Souls in the span of six days goddamn

Also Quantum Error

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

exquisite tea posted:

They should have never stopped using FMV in video games.

Remedy doing their best to bring it back with Alan Wake 2 and Control

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

AnEdgelord posted:

Remedy doing their best to bring it back with Alan Wake 2 and Control

It's great, they went too far into live action for me to really care with Quantum Break, but those two have the perfect amount to balance against the in-game stuff.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There are a couple transitions in AW2 that are so well-done that you don't really notice the switch.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I think the fundamental issue is that a game being in the silent hill setting adds nothing of value and just drags the game down. Silent Hill 4 the room would have probably worked better if it wasn't associated with Silent Hill (which it wasn't even intended to be at the start). Maybe the Kojima Silent Hill would have breathed some life into the franchise, but it literally had a couple of the biggest names in horror with the project, along with the developer of one of the most popular game franchises of all time working on it.
Team Silent said that The Room was always intended to be associated with Silent Hill, the long-standing confusion over this issue is that at the beginning of the project they weren't sure that they wanted it to be the next mainline Silent Hill (i.e. to be Silent Hill 4, rather than, say, "Silent Hill Gaiden: Room 302"). Mostly they wanted an experience that would be different from previous games so they wouldn't just be releasing Silent Hill 3 Part 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

In retrospect, I'm glad SH4 got mainline game status. It's not a great game, maybe not even a good game, but goddamn is it better than most of the non-numbered sequels.