Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Arrath posted:

How else am I going to employ Sokoto's seething masses of humanity?

Sokoto itself is actually a very fun start, or at least was in 1.4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Is it normal to go through periods where you have nothing in the construction queue because you're waiting on your national debt to go down a little? It feels wrong because it causes the price of construction goods to crash but I never seem to get to a point where my GDP growth (and credit limit) is outpacing my construction costs so I'm not sure what the alternative is. Did I overspend on construction offices? Maybe I could import the raw resources instead of trying to build them up in my own country?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Pylons posted:

Is it normal to go through periods where you have nothing in the construction queue because you're waiting on your national debt to go down a little? It feels wrong because it causes the price of construction goods to crash but I never seem to get to a point where my GDP growth (and credit limit) is outpacing my construction costs so I'm not sure what the alternative is. Did I overspend on construction offices? Maybe I could import the raw resources instead of trying to build them up in my own country?

Depends on the point in the game you're at. Late game I often find that my country has no large solvable shortages for me to spend my 1000+ construction on, usually at the point where the game is mostly spent waiting for tech research and for infamy to tick down, so my queue is empty.

If it's before that then yeah, you probably have too much construction. I've generally found relying on AI imports to be unreliable and something I only do if I've no other option.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Gort posted:

It seems weird that unincorporated states can't have police. That's where they're needed most!

Well, yeah, but since they are unincorporated, you're not paying the bureaucratic cost of managing them, thus no police.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Pylons posted:

I’ve often ended up in that position as well and I think that it’s frequently a matter of expanding the construction sectors too fast, in relation to the rate of GDP growth. I’d say that it is especially important in the early years to not go too hard on deficit spending, particularly if you’re playing a backwards country with low literacy and not that much preexisting industry. I aim to either go +\- 0 or go back just some tens of thousands until I’ve had time to build up a decent credit limit through GDP growth and technology.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Pylons posted:

having nothing in your queue i'd say yes, but pausing it can be necessary. Usually I take that as a sign that I overbuilt on construction or something else since a steady burn is generally preferable, but it can happen. Generally no reason to never have anything in the queue at least ready to be built unless its super ultra lategame tho

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Gort posted:

It seems weird that unincorporated states can't have police. That's where they're needed most!

Yeah, maybe it's a thing with modularity/granularity in the game because the unincorporated state is meant to be territories, but then also covers colonies. The lack of centralized state activity in, say, the Kansas territory is something entirely different from West African colonialism.

Besides, the bureaucratic apparatus necessary to make colonies work was heavy. I'd guess technically some places had far more state oversight than domestic corners going just from administrative expenses and efforts, the difference being that none of it towards development in social and civic sense. Like, "incorporating" a colony in the sense of was done in the 19th century was to make it an administrative department and run it better and get more money, but no concern with things like voting rights, education or anything of welfare, really.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Having a "middle" ground of incorporation as an official "colonial" state could be interesting. A lot of modifiers would work better/make more sense while still strictly designating the area as a place of extraction rather than general development, without it being a completely "lawless" place that you literally just knocked down and took over

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Koorisch posted:

I still don't know how to properly grow my economy from day one, I build for wood, iron and tools but I'm assuming those doesn't actually *earn* you money more than they lower the cost of building?

What is generally a solid choice to do so I can get more money early to start snowballing?

So here's a quick breakdown on how exactly the economy works and why "make your pops wealthier" is a good thing overall.

So you build for wood, iron and tools and this drives the price of that down, making it cheaper to construct stuff. You're right in a way that this doesn't directly earn you money because you tax your citizens, yes, but the citizens in those factories are being paid out of the money you're spending to buy their goods which means their taxes are paying their own salaries. In isolation, therefore, that doesn't actually earn you much money.

But the trick is this: Working in those factories tend to make the pops in question wealthier than if they were subsistence farmers, and the capitalists in particular will become particularly wealthier - the factories generally pay more, and the capitalists get to pocket much of the actual profit from the factories. Wealthy pops, notably, demand more stuff - more food, better food, more clothes, more luxuries, etc. That increased demand for consumer goods means the price for selling those goods goes up, which means that it's now possible to build more consumer goods factories to fulfill those demands while paying out high wages and dividends for those working in the factories without crashing the price of those consumer goods to the point where the factories are unprofitable. Of course, now the people working in the consumer goods factories are getting wealthier themselves and increasing demand themselves, which means it's now possible to build yet further and still be profitable, and all while this is happening as the economy gets bigger and bigger the demand for more construction increases and now it becomes increasingly vital to build more wood, iron and tools to keep up with the burgeoning construction sector to keep costs down in the government budget which means yet more wealthy pops and so on and so forth.

And you, as the government, get to (functionally) skim a little off the top of every single economic interaction you help foster.

Essentially, for an unindustrialized nation, the wood/tools/iron building loop is pretty much about priming the pump to get your consumer economy off the ground, and keeping it well-lubricated for constant expansion. The reason why they're good at doing so is because each of them feed off each other - the more wood and iron you produce, the more tools you need, and the more tools you make, the more wood and iron you need, which means it's possible to keep building more and more of these as long as your resources hold out until you get to the critical mass that gets your broader economy really jumping. After a certain point you start transitioning to consumer goods factories as the primary driver of GDP as the broader industrial economy starts becoming self-sustaining but the construction sector will remain important to keep costs low enough to fuel constant growth.

Meanwhile military factories are off doing their own thing where they're borderline bankrupt in times of peace but highly profitable and utterly indispensable in times of war when demand goes through the roof, but the point of military factories isn't really to make money, after all, but to be prepared for war.

Edit:

If you're after "which specific factories should I build to make money," the answer is "it depends." Look at supply vs demand on the goods lists, basically. Anything that sells something whose demand outstrips supply by a significant margin and whose input goods are not too expensive themselves should be more or less profitable. High-end luxuries tend to be very profitable, but also require securing the supply chain for their rare and expensive input goods which for most countries is going to require a little colonialism and imperialism. Basic resource extraction buildings tend not to be fantastically profitable in and of themselves unless your economy is badly unbalanced but are vital for keeping the costs of input goods down for the money-spinners, or keeping basic staples like grain affordable for the population at large. Note on this: It can sometimes be worthwhile driving the cost of certain goods down even when it's not very profitable for the individual factory because it means that pops spend less money buying those goods, which means they now have more in the budget for buying other, bigger ticket items.

Tomn fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Oct 31, 2023

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
How important is it to meet food demand in the new patch, that phase of the game has always been kinda tricky for me to really grok. Too high prices, yes everyone will be loving pissed, but don't overbuild farms because you're still empowering landlords somewhat and you want to use that very valuable construction time on something else.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Pylons posted:

It feels right to build as much as possible because the more you build early the more you can build later. But if you go into debt too early, especially as a minor or less advanced major, you’re going to suffer huge interest hits. So I find it’s actually better to dismantle construction sectors before I go into the red to maintain my treasure as close to 0 as I can.

Edit: Check your companies list for potential companies that will help you. I discovered this one as Brazil and it’s a huge multiplier because I’m critically short on infrastructure all the time.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Oct 31, 2023

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Companies have a pretty weird impact on how you play the early game as a developing country now, since you have a strong incentive to try to rush producing a lot of a single mine or factory in order to unlock the ability to select a company.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
I guess it can simulate the push for specialization for a smaller country which is not there in the base game. Well maybe it is there, but it feels right to do as many parts of production chain you can. Companies are a very roundabout way of allowing you to be a country with economy focused on something instead of being economy just like Britain, but without half of the natural resources and therefore lower effectiveness.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

ilitarist posted:

I guess it can simulate the push for specialization for a smaller country which is not there in the base game. Well maybe it is there, but it feels right to do as many parts of production chain you can. Companies are a very roundabout way of allowing you to be a country with economy focused on something instead of being economy just like Britain, but without half of the natural resources and therefore lower effectiveness.

It works OK if you're inside a larger market, less so if you're independent and need to build everything up from scratch. You can unlock the ability to have a company well before you can actually select one.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I think markets need a rework, they’re too… Strong? Big? There is literally no better choice for most third world nations than to join a majors market because you get access to everything you need and crucially you get all the immigrants.

Immigration especially seems poorly implemented because 20 years of migration and several cultural migrations to Brazil netted barely any more pops, but being in the British market for half a decade ballooned my population with the English (ew).

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

How long does it take to upgrade a fleet?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Demiurge4 posted:

I think markets need a rework, they’re too… Strong? Big? There is literally no better choice for most third world nations than to join a majors market because you get access to everything you need and crucially you get all the immigrants.

Immigration especially seems poorly implemented because 20 years of migration and several cultural migrations to Brazil netted barely any more pops, but being in the British market for half a decade ballooned my population with the English (ew).

On release it was really easy to be targeted by every mass migration and get tons of extra pops so mass migrations were hugely nerfed (to like 1/10 of their original impact). Which results in markets being the only meaningful way to get migrants, which is really weird.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

RabidWeasel posted:

On release it was really easy to be targeted by every mass migration and get tons of extra pops so mass migrations were hugely nerfed (to like 1/10 of their original impact). Which results in markets being the only meaningful way to get migrants, which is really weird.

They should be bumped up a bit, it’s compounding with the AI being less terrible at developing their industry. In 1.0 any player country would have double the SoL of the ai, so migrations would fire constantly. Now it’s pretty much never.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

How important is it to meet food demand in the new patch, that phase of the game has always been kinda tricky for me to really grok. Too high prices, yes everyone will be loving pissed, but don't overbuild farms because you're still empowering landlords somewhat and you want to use that very valuable construction time on something else.

Being a bleeding heart who wants to improve the SoL for my working classes, I like food to be dirt cheap. Usually i do this by building all the plantations I need in my colonies, doubly helpful since it kneecaps the landowners.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Arrath posted:

Being a bleeding heart... Usually i do this by building all the plantations I need in my colonies

I love paradox games

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Arrath posted:

Being a bleeding heart who wants to improve the SoL for my working classes, I like food to be dirt cheap. Usually i do this by building all the plantations I need in my colonies, doubly helpful since it kneecaps the landowners.

Staltran posted:

I love paradox games

Yeah, uh, you realize that this is basically creating an exploitative colonial elite far away from government oversight (and any labor or minimum wage laws) who squeeze the colonials mercilessly to deliver the expected standard of living back home, right?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

You play as the spirit of the nation at game start, not the spirit of the proletariat

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Tomn posted:

Yeah, uh, you realize that this is basically creating an exploitative colonial elite far away from government oversight (and any labor or minimum wage laws) who squeeze the colonials mercilessly to deliver the expected standard of living back home, right?

I mean that's downright benign for a Paradox game. You can get a genocide button in EU4 with the right DLC. :homebrew:

E:

I mean, besides the multitude you get in the base game.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Tomn posted:

But they bring railroads! These colonies didn't have railroads before, the colonials should be grateful!

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Their sol went up, that means life better right???

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

imo they should thank me for making booze so dirt cheap

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

DrSunshine posted:

But they bring railroads! These colonies didn't have railroads before, the colonials should be grateful!

They even get to ride said railroads once to new, exciting places!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Me, a 19th century bureaucrat, beating on train timetable: "IMPERIAL CORE. IMPERIAL CORE. IMPERIAL CORE."

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

So I've been catching up to the news and whoa, next update (Nov 14th makes sense since the 15th is the anniversary of the republic here in Brazil)

Interested to see what paradox has cooked here. If four semesters of Brazilian political economic history taught me anything is that the landowning classes should be one of the most obnoxious of the entire game; either a totally ahistorical Pedro II or a much earlier Republic would've actually cared to take on this problem (with war ofc)

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

How do you become a unification candidate? I'm playing as Sweden and researched pan-nationalism, have friendly relations with Denmark (and they're in my market), and Norway is my puppet, but I can't start a unification play. Is it because Denmark has a personal union with Schleswieg-Holstein?

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Pylons posted:

How do you become a unification candidate? I'm playing as Sweden and researched pan-nationalism, have friendly relations with Denmark (and they're in my market), and Norway is my puppet, but I can't start a unification play. Is it because Denmark has a personal union with Schleswieg-Holstein?

It might be. It also might be that there's an unmentioned time window before which unification candidates can't exist. For example, now matter how early everyone on the penninsula researches Nationalism, no one can be chosen as a unification candidate for Italy until 1850.

I have not played a German candidate or a Scandanavian candidate so I don't know if there's a time lock on those.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Tomn posted:

DrSunshine posted:

Me, a 19th century bureaucrat, beating on train timetable: "IMPERIAL CORE. IMPERIAL CORE. IMPERIAL CORE."

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Look just because you've suddenly discovered a deep love of the concepts of liberty and equality doesn't mean you have to stop doing colonialism, just ask the French.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

...I ment liberty and equality for me! Not for you

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Liberty to work on my plantations

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Star posted:

Liberty to work on my plantations

Someone's gotta make the sugar for the Metropole, and look how much experience they have!

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Everyone hating on my "talent acquisition" firm

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I'm having a weirdly terrible time getting Germany off the ground. I presume Prussia is the easy way to do that? I think I'm starting wars too early and making everyone hate me.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

spectralent posted:

I'm having a weirdly terrible time getting Germany off the ground. I presume Prussia is the easy way to do that? I think I'm starting wars too early and making everyone hate me.

German unification as Prussia is really easy. You need just one war and Nationalism. Goad Austria, then declare for Schleswig-Holstein. If Austria joins on Denmark's side add German Leadership wargoal, liberate Bohemia and take any other requirements for Germany you can. You'll get the North German Federation popping near instantly via event, and if you've done it right, Germany itself. Might have to do a war to bring Bohemia in direct control, and Bavaria needs to be kept sweet otherwise they'll leave your customs union.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah Prussia is the easiest route to German unification and you'll pick up a lot of the minors for free (you do eventually have to go to war, it seems like the "X petitions to join you" events only happen for North German states, at least that was my experience doing it). Doing it as Austria gets you a much bigger Germany though.