Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

i am harry posted:

always tip with cash so the person you’re tipping can put it in their pocket and tell anyone who asks that they didn’t get anything.

That would just raise more questions. If they don't get any tips, surely, their service is consistently inadequate and they should be fired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Don Pigeon posted:

Well they might think, "I already got my money, no need to provide good service now!"

That would be psychotic and only brainwormed people believe this is how service professionals think.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

jeebus bob posted:

That would be psychotic and only brainwormed people believe this is how service professionals think.

that is correct, and holding this belief as true is the basis for the entire tipping system

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

jeebus bob posted:

Not really any more psychotic than a system that depends on charity to pay its workers.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

anytime I interact with customers at work is good because it means I get a brief respite from lifting poo poo

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

I don't tip and am extremely rude to the door dasher but I put in their address to deliver the food to so they have to eat the cold food they just spit in. Owned much my bitch? :smug:

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

servers are too busy with 10 more tables than they can handle with karens yelling at them in front of house and managers yelling at them in back of house, not to mention the coke breaks in the bathroom with the bus boy, they don't have time to think about how nice to be to you based on your tip %

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
The first time a starbucks barista asked me how my day was going my spontaneous response was "you really want to know?" and we both just stood there in extreme discomfort for a few seconds

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I think being nice to service workers is just as important (and mandatory) as tipping. Service workers deal with the worst of the worst of humanity so just not being an rear end in a top hat is a huge weight off their backs. Also yes, tip in cash if you can because they have to report tips, but only need to report tips enough to raise their 2.15/hr or whatever it is now to minimum wage else the employer has to make up the difference (they won't, they will just fire you). Everything after that, they could theoretically pocket if they want to although it is illegal and definitely not something that happens all the time nor is shared knowledge amongst tipped employees (playful wink).

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

when i briefly used reddit (i learned quickly not to do this) someone asked why servers seem to "expect tips" in my area considering we make an hourly consistent with minimum and i was like "well, typically, i pay out on every table since other people in the restaurant 'work' for me, so like the busser gets a percentage of my tips, the hostess, the line cooks, etc; so in the end, each table costs me about 8% to just like, be there. so if you spent $100 and didn't tip, i pay $8 for you to eat." and they said "that's illegal", and i said no, it's not, and also if you're genuinely wondering why waitstaff seems to hate you it's probably because of that. they told me to "get a real job" which i'm always wondering what people think a real job is but whatever

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Nobody works a real job except me

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Milo and POTUS posted:

oh sick, can i have $20?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Capitalism would crumble without you

Quit.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Stupid customer: "Wow seems like youre pretty busy in here, don't you have help?"

Feral: "No, its winter so we are more understaffed. I'm the only one here so I'm bartender, host, server, busser and food runner, please be patient with the service until next season when we have lots of slave j-1 labor

Stupid, with a Hillary looking at the apartment face: "Wow, nobody wants to work anymore, huh?"

That's not really it but yeah you can be drat sure that I don't want to work anymore you probably retired gently caress

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

cash crab posted:

when i briefly used reddit (i learned quickly not to do this) someone asked why servers seem to "expect tips" in my area considering we make an hourly consistent with minimum and i was like "well, typically, i pay out on every table since other people in the restaurant 'work' for me, so like the busser gets a percentage of my tips, the hostess, the line cooks, etc; so in the end, each table costs me about 8% to just like, be there. so if you spent $100 and didn't tip, i pay $8 for you to eat." and they said "that's illegal", and i said no, it's not, and also if you're genuinely wondering why waitstaff seems to hate you it's probably because of that. they told me to "get a real job" which i'm always wondering what people think a real job is but whatever

The one dude I've met irl who thinks working at a restaurant isn't a "real job" is my lovely conservative uncle whose job is some vague "business" thing that seems to involve nothing but talking about generic Business Things to every single small business owner in town all the time even when he's not working.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Shame Boy posted:

The one dude I've met irl who thinks working at a restaurant isn't a "real job" is my lovely conservative uncle whose job is some vague "business" thing that seems to involve nothing but talking about generic Business Things to every single small business owner in town all the time even when he's not working.

Working in restaurants is the realest of "real jobs" because you are guaranteed to be working not stop from the moment you clock in until you clock out with whatever break time you have allotted and sometimes not even that. No sitting, no waiting, only work. Anyone who says it's not a real job should be required by law to do it, immediately, through force if necessary, and have their bank accounts frozen and be forced to live off wages for at least a year.

People asked me what I wanted to do when I finished college and I said "any job where I can sit in air conditioning and go home not smelling like onions and garlic."

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

my personal benchmark is that if i can't picture a richard scarry animal doing your job your job isn't real

little janitor pig? real job. little worm driving a delivery truck? real job. there is no eagle working for the communications department of a company that operates payroll for IT for a crypto company. there is only an eagle washing dishes.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Attaching a tip jar to the shelf of every grocery aisle my products are displayed on, so I can pay my workers $2.15 an hour.

You don't tip the cereal factory workers? You monster. They need those tips to live.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I've eaten at some slightly upscale places where the service was good or even exceptional. Turns out that the waiters were actually trained professionals who are probably paid a decent wage, enjoy recommending food and wine to people and hearing about their experience and have workloads that allow for some meaningful service. It's almost like good working conditions gives better quality work output?

I also did not tip, even though it's increasingly common, because I expect the service to be part of the price for the meal.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
I cut a hole in the bottom of the popcorn tub

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
The only problem I can see with tipping cash is that if they underreport it it is going to reduce their eventual social security retirement payment.
It's their choice to do so, I just worry about that and quite a few people do only tip cash so I'm the guy adding some to the official pot. (I never seem to carry cash anymore, sorry)

If Uber eats or door dash or whatever owner is messing with their tips and scimming off the top this is not cool though.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Real jobs is some primitivist nonsense though. Complex societies require people who do bureaucratic poo poo. Guy who makes sure the festival has enough security guards in place at all times, and also that stampedes can't happen is a job you won't find in Richard Scarry, but I think it's pretty worthwhile anyway. I even think some measure of management is needed if you want to pull off a big thing. You might even need a guy or two to make the computers run the trains.

But yeah, people who work without being able to shitpost have it way harder. I like the idea of flat pay for everyone, but if you work a poo poo job, you get a bonus. I normally define a poo poo job as a job where you are likely to touch feces, mostly because it's a pretty easy line to draw even if you get proctologists too.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-10-30/23andme-will-give-gsk-access-to-consumer-dna-data?leadSource=reddit_wall

quote:

Under the new agreement, 23andMe will provide GSK with one year of access to anonymized DNA data from the approximately 80% of gene-testing customers who have agreed to share their information for research, 23andMe said in a statement Monday. The genetic-testing company will also provide data-analysis services to GSK.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Why are store-brand lovely tube crisps so much better than Pigr.els.?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

pindals are made of Compressed Chip Leavins

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

I Googled "pindals" and got stuck on a Wiktionary loop.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

3D Megadoodoo posted:

love

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

The only problem I can see with tipping cash is that if they underreport it it is going to reduce their eventual social security retirement payment.
It's their choice to do so, I just worry about that and quite a few people do only tip cash so I'm the guy adding some to the official pot. (I never seem to carry cash anymore, sorry)

If Uber eats or door dash or whatever owner is messing with their tips and scimming off the top this is not cool though.

You'll never be able to collect social security if you can't pay rent or buy groceries because you're short 20 dollars because of taxes paid from tips out of your paycheck. When you are sometimes skipping eating anything a whole day, every dollar matters.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Unless your server is over 50 there's no way in hell they're getting Social Security anyway, so don't let that stop you from getting a worker as much money as possible

Anchor Wanker
May 14, 2015

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Lol that you think any of us are going to see a cent in social security. Like bruh im <30, My retirement plan is trading Matt Gaetz's teeth for fresh water when this state inevitably goes tits up for good.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Anchor Wanker posted:

Lol that you think any of us are going to see a cent in social security. Like bruh im <30, My retirement plan is trading Matt Gaetz's teeth for fresh water when this state inevitably goes tits up for good.

I'll give you two bottles if it was you that kicked them in.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

shazbot posted:

I mean I still tip well even if service is bad. maybe the kitchen is backed up, or the server is having a really bad day. having worked in a service profession I get it

tipping is bullshit, but until it goes away you should feel obligated to tip. don’t like it? don’t eat out

This is the way. Also, always tip in cash so the business can’t gently caress them over. Indeed, so that the wait staff can claim no tip and actually keep it all. Restaurants are the shadiest of businesses when it comes to employee exploitation.

e: well ok, no more replying without reading the thread. I will take this opportunity to say, “lol, social security for slave labor.” That’s a hoot. Nobody born after 1980 is getting social security.

Lordshmee has issued a correction as of 02:19 on Nov 2, 2023

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

cash crab posted:

when i briefly used reddit (i learned quickly not to do this) someone asked why servers seem to "expect tips" in my area considering we make an hourly consistent with minimum and i was like "well, typically, i pay out on every table since other people in the restaurant 'work' for me, so like the busser gets a percentage of my tips, the hostess, the line cooks, etc; so in the end, each table costs me about 8% to just like, be there. so if you spent $100 and didn't tip, i pay $8 for you to eat."
Sorry, what? Can you explain this slowly and simply for me because I don't get it. If you're sharing tips with other employees then surely it only "costs" you a proportion of whatever the amount of the tip was, so no tip would mean no cost, right? If you're required to pay the other employees regardless of whether you were tipped or not or how much, that does sound like it would be illegal? Your employer can't require employees to pay each other. :confused:

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Tiggum posted:

Sorry, what? Can you explain this slowly and simply for me because I don't get it. If you're sharing tips with other employees then surely it only "costs" you a proportion of whatever the amount of the tip was, so no tip would mean no cost, right? If you're required to pay the other employees regardless of whether you were tipped or not or how much, that does sound like it would be illegal? Your employer can't require employees to pay each other. :confused:

Servers aren't required to split tips -and yes a boss requiring it is illegal. However, bussers, kitchen staff, and hosts all make poo poo hourly pay without the benefit of tips boosting them to a livable wage.
So a server needs to take care of their staff with a share of their tips or else they'll be given a lower priority over servers who do. Generally a server isn't giving a percent, but instead something like giving their support staff a few bucks an hour, a night, or per table, so if someone doesn't tip or gives a lovely one the server can make negative money.

This is another example of tipping culture sucking, but decent people are held hostage by it.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

pressed peanut sweepings

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Coolness Averted posted:

Servers aren't required to split tips -and yes a boss requiring it is illegal. However, bussers, kitchen staff, and hosts all make poo poo hourly pay without the benefit of tips boosting them to a livable wage.
So a server needs to take care of their staff with a share of their tips or else they'll be given a lower priority over servers who do. Generally a server isn't giving a percent, but instead something like giving their support staff a few bucks an hour, a night, or per table, so if someone doesn't tip or gives a lovely one the server can make negative money.

This is another example of tipping culture sucking, but decent people are held hostage by it.

Ah, I see Sears learned it's mercenary techniques from the restaurant industry.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I'm friends with a few self proclaimed "geezers" that worked in restaurants most of their lives and they wish they would have put a bit more back in their social securities.

That and the under the table workers can sometimes get pitiful retirements if they have large gaps where they weren't paying in much or at all.

I'm 37 and my retirement would already be better than some of them.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Hahahaha "retirement"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mushika posted:

Hahahaha "retirement"

"Kun lopun näkee, niin levon saa."
("You'll rest in the end." would be my own translation.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fibblins
Dec 21, 2007

party swan
lol if your retirement plan isn't dropping dead at 62