Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

spikevegeta said on his stream that the people in charge (ie not him as he's just a host, so take this with a grain of salt) actually listened to the bonus game backlash after sgdq. i hope there are either zero bonus games or if there are any they arr tied to milestones. spike did say wonder stands a good chance of being a final-day bonus game, and maybe that makes more sense; put a brand new game that everyone seems very happy with as a surprise bonus for the last day. just don't make the bid too high.

he also was adamant that gdq needs more bid wars and fewer bonus games and incentives, which i agree with wholeheartedly but again not his decision.

Even if some people say more money is always good for charity, I found that stalling time to get an incentive met for a bonus game was probably the worst time of any recent GDQ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

TeaJay posted:

Even if some people say more money is always good for charity, I found that stalling time to get an incentive met for a bonus game was probably the worst time of any recent GDQ.

there's been a few times where they stalled for like 5 minutes to meet an incentive and that can be charming, but the stalling for the blindfolded run at sgdq was torture, even if the run was worth it.

and between the economy not doing so good for most people and the fact that, let's face it, speedrunning is largely a fad that has just about run its course, they need to set goals more realistically. i think they've said in the past that they do set incentives and poo poo based on how donations are coming in, but whether that is the case or not, sgdq had a lot of way over-optimistic goals. i hate seeing incentives for a game fail to get met, and the actual runners probably get super bummed when the run they have practiced ends up not happening and they need to do an easier, less impressive or less complete run instead because gdq thinks a 20,000 dollar incentive for the obscure old game they run stands any chance at all of being met.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

there's been a few times where they stalled for like 5 minutes to meet an incentive and that can be charming, but the stalling for the blindfolded run at sgdq was torture, even if the run was worth it.

and between the economy not doing so good for most people and the fact that, let's face it, speedrunning is largely a fad that has just about run its course, they need to set goals more realistically. i think they've said in the past that they do set incentives and poo poo based on how donations are coming in, but whether that is the case or not, sgdq had a lot of way over-optimistic goals. i hate seeing incentives for a game fail to get met, and the actual runners probably get super bummed when the run they have practiced ends up not happening and they need to do an easier, less impressive or less complete run instead because gdq thinks a 20,000 dollar incentive for the obscure old game they run stands any chance at all of being met.

Basically this.

A little stalling is good. The hour long drag out when they were already looking at a 6 AM finish time was just completely excessive, even though the run was incredibly worth the wait. And while it's for charity and all that, it's a bit scummy to be "forcing" money out of people with less self control who were already at or over their donation limit. Hopefully they set the targets better this time, I think 20 some incentives were missed in SGDQ and only a couple were cosmetic/not gameplay related. It's rule 1 of setting donation targets, set targets you WILL achieve, move the goalposts if you need to as discretely as possible.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

spikevegeta said on his stream that the people in charge (ie not him as he's just a host, so take this with a grain of salt) actually listened to the bonus game backlash after sgdq. i hope there are either zero bonus games or if there are any they arr tied to milestones. spike did say wonder stands a good chance of being a final-day bonus game, and maybe that makes more sense; put a brand new game that everyone seems very happy with as a surprise bonus for the last day. just don't make the bid too high.

he also was adamant that gdq needs more bid wars and fewer bonus games and incentives, which i agree with wholeheartedly but again not his decision.

I’ve always thought that the best way to do it would be to tie incentives and especially bonus games to totals and only have bid wars tied to individual donations. That way there’s no way to forget or not have your donation go to a bonus, and the bid wars can get more attention which encourages competition. There are times where a funny or interesting bid war gets swallowed up by an underperforming bonus game which is a bummer and there’s no way to fail a bid war so they don’t have to vamp as much.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

spike did say wonder stands a good chance of being a final-day bonus game, and maybe that makes more sense; put a brand new game that everyone seems very happy with as a surprise bonus for the last day.
Wonder will probably be good but my first thought for a final day addition is Grand Poo World 3, which is currently scheduled to come out on November 10. Would be cool to move GPW2 back one spot and put GPW3 after that.

Only shame would be that Barb likely wouldn't be able to make it for couch commentary because his wife is due to have their babies in late November-early December.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

iPodschun posted:

Wonder will probably be good but my first thought for a final day addition is Grand Poo World 3, which is currently scheduled to come out on November 10. Would be cool to move GPW2 back one spot and put GPW3 after that.

You want them to speedrun a kaizo hack, blind?

...I guess that's what the Mario Maker competitions have basically been, but still, that sounds like a risky play.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You want them to speedrun a kaizo hack, blind?

...I guess that's what the Mario Maker competitions have basically been, but still, that sounds like a risky play.

This is for AGDQ, so they'd have a few months to practice.

Though seeing a group of Mario speedrunners try to blind run GPW3 would be pretty awesome. Honestly I think that's a better way to experience the GPW games than a speedrun anyways, since the trolls and reactions are half the fun.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Oct 22, 2023

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Oh right, for some reason I thought AGDQ was in, like, three weeks. :doh:

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Oh right, for some reason I thought AGDQ was in, like, three weeks. :doh:

tbf, I do think GDQ express is on right now lmao

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

he's 100% right and I hope they listen

the bonus incentive poo poo at SGDQ was just heartbreaking and infuriating to watch

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Autisanal Cheese posted:

he's 100% right and I hope they listen

the bonus incentive poo poo at SGDQ was just heartbreaking and infuriating to watch

Iirc the year breath of the wild came out they tied it to twitch "bits" of all things. That one didn't even come close to being met :v:

Spike is definitely right though, I really hope they listen to him on it

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

ArfJason posted:

I wont watch it at all.

Its nice to know some things never change in this inconstant world

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
For what it's worth, on the page that shows the accepted runs by type, there are 0 hours 0 minutes and 0 seconds of runs flagged as bonus

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
kacho NO BONUS

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Oh wow, that's an extremely good schedule if you're in Europe, good runs in reasonable times? Crazy! That friday is looking stacked, great!

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Iirc the year breath of the wild came out they tied it to twitch "bits" of all things. That one didn't even come close to being met :v:

Spike is definitely right though, I really hope they listen to him on it

If memory serves, this was a Majora's Mask run, and it happened because Twitch went to GDQ and said "hey we'll kick in a big donation (or some behind the scenes thing to help boost front page rankings or something, I forget what but Twitch had some carrot for the idea) if you try out this new 'bit' stuff for a bit-only donation incentive" and GDQ said "sure we'll give it a try!" and then it raised like 20% of the total because people did some basic math and nobody wanted to use Twitch's Chuck-E-Cheese dollars that was getting a huge middleman cut. And that was the last time anyone at GDQ mentioned bit-only donation incentives.
Obviously hard to be sure about it now because neither side really wants to discuss it ever again.

ANYWAY, I think I am like the one person on earth who didn't feel bad about stalling for major incentives that were within like 25% or less of their goal, it was nice to have extra time to do things like get food or chat with friends especially during back-to-back-to-back blocks of runs I wanted to catch, but I am apparently the only person who didn't hate this so probably a wise idea to at least try swapping to this format. I am curious if this is gonna make for more cutthroat bidwars with to-the-wire battles between naming the Hero Of Time "Lunk" and "Arby" with the couch and commentators arguing for different choices in real time, those are admittedly fun.

Hopefully they are adding larger between-run buffers into the schedule, I am pretty sure the tech crew relied on stalls multiple times to hide stuff going horribly wrong because juggling all the input streams and output streams is hell and the staff are all half-dead by the last night.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
As long as we can all agree that Lunk is the true hero

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i wonder if the recent over-reliance on bonus game incentives would have been different if we'd all donated to lobotomy chicken

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Failure to meet the incentive was the right choice on that one.

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

Registration opened and got my spot. Luckily GDQ is in my hometown this year! Hoping for a good time

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
First GDQ I'm not going to in person. Hope I can at least win some perlers to commemerate.

GarbiTheGlitchress
May 14, 2012

Trains to lift up and protect her friends... and maybe to pick them up and carry them when they are tired :)
Speedrun Ragnarok 2023 is live, raising money for Take This, a mental health charity decreasing stigma and increasing support for mental health in games! Will be lots of awesome runs through the week; I'll be running Katamari Forever on Tuesday! It's running on TheRPGValkyries, a really awesome community!

Schedule

https://twitch.tv/therpgvalkyries

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Good luck with your run!

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I'm gonna be on the team on Thursday doing the ffxiv boss rush!! it's gonna be super loosey goosey and a lot of fun, come donate to make us do stupid poo poo

i still gotta prep my glams lmao

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

neongrey posted:

I'm gonna be on the team on Thursday doing the ffxiv boss rush!! it's gonna be super loosey goosey and a lot of fun, come donate to make us do stupid poo poo

Chicken head goes with everything

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

neongrey posted:

Oh drat good luck! Post in the chat thread about it nearer the time in case people who aren't reading this one might be interested to see.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

i don't know how many tloz, dkc or castlevania 3 runs i've seen over the years, but i keep coming back to them

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I really really hope they'll do another FFVIII again during SGDQ or smth, the run from all the way in the beginning in a literal basement was pretty great, but come on, its been almost three years since the remaster :mad:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CACp0TzboOM

The Ghoul
Dec 8, 2011

I got a cobra for a cock and some wrought iron balls

This was a journey. Thank you.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Well, for some people, spite is plenty motivation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ak3IJO1qlY

Because of comments that said that beating Any% of Baldurs Gate 3, which only requires playing up to Act 2, do not count as a real speedrun due to it being more of a non-standard game over than an ending, Mae decided to beat the "all acts" world record and succeeded, smashing it by 12 minutes. This run involves a lot of jumping, a few glitches with physics and clipping, and a lot of Shadowheart/Tav violence.

Works for me :v:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The particular subgenre of youtube commenter that complains when speedrunners beat the game speedily never ceases to amuse me. How do their little minds work, what a delightful mystery.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I got confused when they stuffed a dead Shadowheart into a burning box, which is to say, around a minute and a half

Gotta watch the rest too

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

TeaJay posted:

I got confused when they stuffed a dead Shadowheart into a burning box, which is to say, around a minute and a half

Gotta watch the rest too

That allows her body, or at least a collider attached to her body, to move to a specific level trigger that progresses a plot. And yes, the box being on fire is required for that skip.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Seeing that the Club was shut down and threre was still 15 minutes of the video to go, I knew to expect greatness. I was not disappointed :allears:
Why did this stupid run incite such controversy?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kikas posted:

That allows her body, or at least a collider attached to her body, to move to a specific level trigger that progresses a plot. And yes, the box being on fire is required for that skip.
It's so the box will break and drop her corpse on the trigger, isn't it?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
"Shadowboxing" is a hilariously brilliant name tbh.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

neongrey posted:

We're up in about an hour!

https://twitch.tv/therpgvalkyries

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

youre out of your mind if you think im gonna watch this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

do you have the schedule link for this?