Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Mister Chief posted:

It’s back???

Just like those loving go kart tours, it appears to be back once maintenance is done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
I lived within walking distance of kabukicho for two years and never went to the robot restaurant. I don't really feel like I missed anything.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

People on their holiday should just do things they think they might enjoy imo

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

wow just wow

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
My roomie suggested a potential thing for trip next year and I am curious on it, especially since google seems to be contradictory in this instance. How hard is it to get tickets to a Takarazuka Revue show when you don't live in the country? It looks like they have a Tokyo theater but Google also says it's closed but..the website has tour dates so..???

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Try this:
https://ars-takarazuka.triplabo.jp/home?lang=en

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

Oh well that works out LOL. Appreciate it~

Another question since it's come up. Have any of you registered for a Wise/Transferwire account? I've been told you can kinda load up basically before coming in and use it like an ATM card? IS that advisable? I feel like I could put some cash away on it each month to use for my trip and all.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
I don't care about tourists wasting money on whatever, but Robot Restaurant that I thought was out of busisness.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Gabriel Grub posted:

I don't care about tourists wasting money on whatever, but Robot Restaurant that I thought was out of busisness.

This poo poo is a no.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Well I wasn't planning on going but now I have to visit the robot restaurant.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

More like people doing the robot restaurant

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I was going to do RR but then my travel companion cancelled at the last minute. Then it closed soon after. So I see this as good news.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I went to the Robot Restaurant and found it to be good stupid fun

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Listener posted:

Another question since it's come up. Have any of you registered for a Wise/Transferwire account? I've been told you can kinda load up basically before coming in and use it like an ATM card? IS that advisable? I feel like I could put some cash away on it each month to use for my trip and all.

I use Wise a lot for transferring money, haven't used their debit card, but they have decent rates and low fees in general.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Didn't they sort of "cancel" halloween in Shibuya this year? Did that work? Was it "canceled"?

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Well a car didn't get flipped this year so I guess it was a success? But yeah, they made it so people couldn't really gather and drink which helped to control any rowdiness. Saturday night was pretty much dead this year and that's the day when most of the Halloween partying happens.

The actual Halloween night on Tuesday was crowded with people in costumes and people who came down to check out Shibuya Halloween but since everyone was constantly forced by police to keep moving it was basically just people walking around. It was closer to a Ikebukuro cosplay meet up than the Shibuya Halloweens of the past.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

There is a very interesting job opportunity in Niigata City. Has anybody been/lived there? I’d be going with a wife and young child, hoping to live without a car. Looks like a looooooot of snow, holy poo poo

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Sounds good you should do it.

Here's a bus stop map: https://transfer.navitime.biz/niigatabrt-newsystem-eng/pc/map/Top I lived in a similarly sized place that didn't have urban rail, bus only. It was fine without a car. I'd definitely be considering an ebike, not sure if Japan requires you to have a license for one of those or not.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

giogadi posted:

There is a very interesting job opportunity in Niigata City. Has anybody been/lived there? I’d be going with a wife and young child, hoping to live without a car. Looks like a looooooot of snow, holy poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqerKWp1kqs
It's not as much snow as this, but it should give an idea of the infrastructure and ideas Japan has to move large amounts of snow regularly. There are 3 parts in that series.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Good Listener posted:

Oh well that works out LOL. Appreciate it~

I got back from my Tokyo trip a couple of weeks ago and I used a Wise card, worked perfectly fine like any other card. I didn't try to withdraw actual cash from it though, and I also didn't leave Tokyo so I can't say if it will break if you try and get some cash out of a village ATM or something.

mongolia
Jan 18, 2017

giogadi posted:

Never been but should be OK if you live in the center of the city but if you have a family you might want to consider getting a car.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

What sort of job is in Niigata? I lived in the region for 3 years and it does snow a lot but it’s manageable.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

giogadi posted:

One thing people often miss in the snow talk is that Niigata is very humid and assy in the summer. It's basically built on a swamp.

But it's very walkable if you live in the city center, and there are some beautiful views of the river and ocean. We considered living there ourselves.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Mister Chief posted:

What sort of job is in Niigata? I lived in the region for 3 years and it does snow a lot but it’s manageable.

There’s a game audio middleware studio there owned and run by foreigners.

Thanks for the responses! I was hoping y’all would come out and say “trash city, absolutely not, muri” but nope, now I have to actually make a decision, haha.

It’s a terrible idea on paper - we have never lived in Japan, I only speak a little Japanese, our kid would get “Jouzu!”-ed her whole life, we’ve never lived in a place with snow - but man it is still sooooo tempting.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

giogadi posted:

It’s a terrible idea on paper - we have never lived in Japan, I only speak a little Japanese, our kid would get “Jouzu!”-ed her whole life, we’ve never lived in a place with snow - but man it is still sooooo tempting.

Everybody starts somewhere. Depending on how you play your cards, your Japanese will improve drastically in the first year. You'll manage with the snow.

Everybody gets Jouzu'd at some point, so don't worry about it.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

If your kid is still in preschool absolutely go for it, she'll catch up with the language in time for elementary school.
If she is already 8 or 10 you need to prep hard.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Two separate Japanese servers said “Jouzu” to me at Epcot last month. I took it as a compliment. But now…now I know the truth. :negative:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I didn't get nihongo jouzued at all while I was there, which I put down to me being a yellow fellow so they probably thought I was a particularly stupid native or something.

mongolia
Jan 18, 2017

People say jouzu because you are doing a great job.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

My wife is from there. It's fine, it's just like any other non-Tokyo city.

If you'd be working at a studio run by foreigners would you even really need to bother with Japanese skill that much?

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

The jouzu thing doesn’t bother me personally, but I’m trying to imagine the potential experience of my daughter - growing up there all her life, speaking native Japanese, this is her home, but still getting surprised looks from people every time she speaks her native tongue

And yeah the bonuses of working for a foreign company are speaking English and maybe having less intense work expectations, so that’s a big draw of this job opportunity for sure

Looks like akira yamaoka is from there, which is tite

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Japanese people know there are foreign-looking people who can speak fluent Japanese, especially kids, she'll be fine.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It's cool and good
Just be like "we live here" "oh ok nice"

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I mean I wouldn’t start forecasting stuff like “my kid will grow up here” and “my kid will be a native Japanese speaker” since 1. Maybe it’s sucks and you quit and move back after a year or something 2. You can always send your kid to international school and you’ll obviously speak English at home so English will always probably be her “native” language and 3. Japanese people understand non-Asians speaking fluent Japanese anyways.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Definitely a lot to consider depending on the age of the child. Changing schools sucks as a kid, because you essentially have to start from scratch every time in terms of making friends. I went to three different elementary schools, two different middle schools, then three different high schools. And whelp I have zero childhood friends.

International schools may not be an option in Niigata. Hell they're often not even an option in Tokyo due to the costs and a lack of open spots.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Same except I have friends lol*

Mostly hs/college. Nostalgia is for the weak.

mongolia
Jan 18, 2017

I live in the deep country and I don’t get any looks really. People don’t really like to get caught staring.
Also if you mesh with the people you are working with then you will already be engulfed in the expat community there, which for a city like Niigata is probably like living in a small village. If I were living with a small family, I would like to get a car.
Why not ask the people who are giving you the job about how their kids are adjusting or explain your situation?

Also, I would probably want to some thoughts on my wife or partner, and how she is thinking about the move.

But I am just a 23 year old gay man living in Shikoku. So I am not a very wise advisor on this. If you feel comfortable with it ask your company about the logistics. Good luck :)

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
I'm gonna assume getting jouzu'd is the equivalent of "Aww you did so well~" pat on the head type of thing haha.

Also signed up for this wise card thing. Gonna just add a bit of yen to it each pay check and use as a lil vacay fund.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

mongolia posted:

I live in the deep country and I don’t get any looks really. People don’t really like to get caught staring.
Also if you mesh with the people you are working with then you will already be engulfed in the expat community there, which for a city like Niigata is probably like living in a small village. If I were living with a small family, I would like to get a car.
Why not ask the people who are giving you the job about how their kids are adjusting or explain your situation?

Also, I would probably want to some thoughts on my wife or partner, and how she is thinking about the move.

But I am just a 23 year old gay man living in Shikoku. So I am not a very wise advisor on this. If you feel comfortable with it ask your company about the logistics. Good luck :)

Where are you from originally? I'm curious about your experience as a gay person living in Japan, especially outside of Tokyo or Osaka. In my limited experience, Japan seems pretty socially conservative. Maybe it matters less for a foreigner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mongolia
Jan 18, 2017

Im from the US. Not many problems for me.
Japan used to be a very different country where gay men encouraged other gay men to marry women. And companies would want their employees to be married as well. I’ve heard that gay magazines used to have personals for sham marriages. But now there are rights, hopefully same sex immigration rights will come in the future. Yes of course the resources are much less compared to the big city (as with the US) but gay people don’t disappear in the countryside. I have never been a social butterfly so I am happy.

Yes Japan is conservative but at the same time it is open. There are a lot of ways that I feel much safer here than in the US. Also, I would like to add that you can get apply for a domestic partnership in the boonies.