Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

So just literally "I have no business running a business of any size. I don't have the faintest clue even of what I'm [i]supposed[\i] to be doing."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

The Bible posted:

So just literally "I have no business running a business of any size. I don't have the faintest clue even of what I'm [i]supposed[\i] to be doing."

I believe this to be a true and honest statement about Don Jr

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

"Listen I just sign random papers to look busy until it's time to go shoot an endangered animal in the face"

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

banned from Starbucks posted:

"Listen I just sign random papers to look busy until it's time to go shoot an endangered animal in the face"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEkHA3isi00

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

The Bible posted:

Doesn’t seem like a viable defense to get out of a 250 million dollar fine does it? Like, at the end of the day he signed the papers and submitted them.

Stupidity? Contempt? Utterly misplaced and overwhelming sense of self confidence? Surely Chris “3 million dollar retainer” Kise had ideas on coaching some kind of passable theory?

“Yes, I have a degree from a prestigious school and we studied GAAP but dude, I got stuff to do, places to go, I can’t be having that!”

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

OgNar posted:

So Jr today claims today on the allegations that he signed documents that inflated Dons worth by $2 bil that he just signed things that CPAs put in front of him, and he had no idea what he was signing.
Yes, this was all a scheme made up by accountants and the Trumps are completely innocent.

drat, the Trump's found that one simple trick to avoid being culpable for financial crimes.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

haveblue posted:

Can you use an insanity defense in a civil suit? Asking for a friend

I don't think a corporation or other business can avoid liability via an insanity plea. So the most a hypothetical situation where Donnie lets himself look bad would gain is avoiding personal penalties. Trump Org is hosed no matter what.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Even if "I was too incompetent to carry out my obligations in this role and too stupid to even be aware of them" somehow works as a defense wouldn't that just mean poo poo flows uphill, as it were? Like it would necessarily then fall on the shoulders of whoever put him in that role when he was so manifestly unsuited for it because they in turn utterly failed in their duties to ensure comportment with the law?

(I'm sure the actual answer is "lol, you idiot, you rube, you actually think the law is structured to expose the highest ranks of a corporation to risk?" But you know)

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 3, 2023

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Is there a good podcast explaining and making high level fun of this stuff, like we had for the Alex Jones trial and depositions?

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Murgos posted:

Doesn’t seem like a viable defense to get out of a 250 million dollar fine does it? Like, at the end of the day he signed the papers and submitted them.
It sounds like the kind of innocent legal misunderstandings that any of us George Bluths could stumble into.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
Would an incompetence defense help with damages though? "I'm an idiot" obviously doesn't get you out of liability, but it makes logical sense to me that it would be a lesser penalty than "I'm intentionally defrauding people."

No clue if the law works that way though.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
hopefully we get a clip of "i'm too dumb to know how a business works" that will play on repeat leading to election day

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I can’t imagine trump having enough room in his ego to try and say he’s too stupid and out of his depth to know what he was signing

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Scratch Monkey posted:

I can’t imagine trump having enough room in his ego to try and say he’s too stupid and out of his depth to know what he was signing

I'm looking forward to finding out how this was all the best fraud. The greatest fraud. Some are saying it was so perfect that actually the banks owe Trump money.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Accountants right out of central casting are running up with tears in their eyes

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

haveblue posted:

Accountants right out of central casting are running up with tears in their eyes

Aren't the accountants the ones being thrown under the bus right now?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Clarste posted:

You don't understand just how perfect and huge his fraud was

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Clarste posted:

That explains the tears.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
ahhh, it's the looooong con

in 2023-2024, Trump scares off any and all accountants from ever working with him.
Then in 2025, he's arrested for tax evasion because he doesn't keep receipts.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Justice should probably hire a proofreader

quote:

Yesterday, the Court conducted a hearing on the defendants’ motion to adjourn trial, in which defendant Trump claimed that trial in this matter should be delayed in part because “[t]he March 4, 2024 trial date in the District of Columbia, and the underlying schedule in that case, currently require President Trump and his lawyers to be in two places at once.” ECF 167 at 1. Defendant Trump’s counsel reiterated that argument during the hearing yesterday. However, defendant Trump’s counsel failed to disclose at the hearing that they were planning to file – and yesterday evening did file the attached motion to stay the proceedings in the District of Columbia until their motion to dismiss the indictment based on presidential immunity is “fully resolved.” As the Government argued to the Court yesterday, the trial date in the District of Columbia case should not be a determinative factor in the Court’s decision whether to modify the dates in this matter. Defendant Trump’s actions in the hours following the hearing in this case illustrate the point and confirm his overriding interest in delaying both trials at any cost. This Court should allow itself to be manipulated in this fashion.

ETA:

Ynglaur posted:

I know MeidasTouch is frowned on as leftist grifters by some goons, but the Legal AF podcast describes it in layperson terms.
I don't know that anyone would say leftist :v:

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Nov 2, 2023

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

EasilyConfused posted:

Would an incompetence defense help with damages though? "I'm an idiot" obviously doesn't get you out of liability, but it makes logical sense to me that it would be a lesser penalty than "I'm intentionally defrauding people."

Generally from what I know of tax regs, “reckless” conduct (where you should have known) tends to still be treated very close to willful conduct when it comes to civil penalties; not knowing what you’re doing isn’t really a defense for something this basic (not like most people here aren’t grasping that wildly different valuations of property are bad without accounting knowledge). And even if the accountant did screw up, “you still owe the money” is a long standing precedent anyway.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Are there rules for how judges should interpret that kind of mistake, or do they just get to Calvinball it?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

VictualSquid posted:

Is there a good podcast explaining and making high level fun of this stuff, like we had for the Alex Jones trial and depositions?

Legal eagle (on YouTube, maybe a podcast?)
Opening arguments (podcast)
Serious Trouble (podcast)

gregday
May 23, 2003

VictualSquid posted:

Allison Gill (Mueller She Wrote) has 2 podcasts, "Cleanup on Aisle 45" and "Jack" which cover general Trump things and also the Special Counsel stuff specifically. People have differing opinions on her, but the podcasts also have Andy McCabe and Peter Strzok as co-hosts, and they generally know what they are talking about and balance her out.

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!

cr0y posted:

Legal eagle (on YouTube, maybe a podcast?)
Opening arguments (podcast)
Serious Trouble (podcast)

I would probably scratch OA from that list, due to the whole "host outed as a sexpest and creep to the point where his cohost left" thing

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

EasilyConfused posted:

In fraud cases where there is a mental state requirement, admitting "I'm too stupid for this particular thing to be a crime" might work for that one instance, but it generally screws you because you've probably also been representing yourself to the people you defrauded as being at least ordinarily competent and careful and are admitting that that was a lie

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
This is floating around today.
Eric is still in court now though.
Sounds like he will also be blaming everything on the accountants.

https://twitter.com/PopularLiberal/status/1720114322628620525

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Scratch Monkey posted:

At some point, I could. Without cameras and stuff. Didn't he do similarly in the 90s?
Like the thing about Trump is that while he's never been a criminal mastermind and has always been more lucky than anything else, my understanding is that for most of the 90s an earlier aughts he was a more competent criminal. The ravages of age and untreated and overindulged clinical narcissism have dulled a lot of the criminal instincts and low cunning that once helped him, plus he used to be something of a small fish in a big pond while the last 6 years or so have made him a target in a way he wasn't before.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

OgNar posted:

This is floating around today.
Eric is still in court now though.
Sounds like he will also be blaming everything on the accountants.

https://twitter.com/PopularLiberal/status/1720114322628620525

So they are all gonna pass the blame until it gets to Trump where he's just going to brazenly lie his rear end off and say he didn't direct anyone to do anything. Feels like their whole legal strategy revolves around trying to convince a jury that it's "probably" not the Trump family at fault when in reality the judge who holds the power already stated they are less than trustworthy or whatever polite way Engoron said "You are all lying fucks".

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Sounds like Donald Trump really did a terrible job raising his kids. Someone should ask him about it

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Madkal posted:

Sounds like Donald Trump really did a terrible job raising his kids. Someone should ask him about it

What do you mean? He gives good brain.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Donald Trump appears to be offering judge Cannon a seat on the Supreme Court going by his most recent Truth post.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

gregday
May 23, 2003

Nonsense posted:

Donald Trump appears to be offering judge Cannon a seat on the Supreme Court going by his most recent Truth post.

Fake.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Paracaidas posted:

I don't know that anyone would say leftist :v:

Not leftist as in they are leftists who grift, but leftist in the sense that they grift off leftists, I presume.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

He is so brazenly corrupt I would not put it past him to just post it like that.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Nonsense posted:

Could either of you guys do the minimum amount of work and post the evidence of what you're talking about?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Fart Amplifier posted:

Could either of you guys do the minimum amount of work and post the evidence of what you're talking about?

Because you asked so nicely.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Nonsense posted:

There is far too much :effort: needed to determine if a batshit crazy Trump post is real or fake.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Nonsense posted:

Did you get that from this guy who admits it's made up?

https://twitter.com/Maltaplication/status/1719783809984675932?t=thGXPuNhjoKPRjOmK9_WEA&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Retro42 posted:

There is far too much :effort: needed to determine if a batshit crazy Trump post is real or fake.

Trump will try anything to escape justice.