Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It wasn't a single loop it was a loop for each population block. You can also use roadblocks to connect things a little more without loving up your agents. Dynasty, the China flavored game, lets you manage permissions per agent type at gates so you have even more control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZskjLq040I

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Wouldn't be surprised if a lot of ancient games are, like more recent ones, designed to be used in multiple ways, like playing cards. And see also tarot cards for the crossover with mysticism and fortune telling. And also similar to board games, I imagine there'd be cheaper and more accessible ways to play them as well as the fancy custom made pieces that we've found. Fancy chess sets vs travel chess and so on.

Of course, there's never really been as solid a line as people think between what's everyday culture and what's solemn and sacred, I think it was Aristotle who is on the record complaining that all the stories of Zeus going around loving everything that moves as everything that moves are making a joke of Zeus.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Wouldn't be surprised if a lot of ancient games are, like more recent ones, designed to be used in multiple ways, like playing cards. And see also tarot cards for the crossover with mysticism and fortune telling. And also similar to board games, I imagine there'd be cheaper and more accessible ways to play them as well as the fancy custom made pieces that we've found. Fancy chess sets vs travel chess and so on.

The cheapest way was to scratch or draw the board shape onto a flat surface, use something handy as markers and dice - royal game of Ur's dice are just pyramids with one tip marked so would be easy to make, and for markers you could just use coins or rocks. Here's a picture of a game board scratched next to a protective sculpture https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection/object/W_1850-1228-4_1, so we have definite evidence of people playing games without a proper board.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Mayonnaise is named after a city called Mahon, thats named after Hannibals brother, Mago Barca.

Next time you’re eating that BLT, think of all the Romans that dude killed.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Who do you guys think is the most under represented figure in ancient Rome?

Someone with a lot of significance, or a compelling story, but there’s no quality documentary or film about them?

Gaius Marius, Stilicho, Egalabalus for example.

Someone who needs that exposure like Hypatia got with the film Agora.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Probably someone of female and or peasant persuasion, given that their representation is essentially zero, in either pop culture or the historical record.

In terms of underrepresented famous Romans in modern works, probably the Gracchi, Aurelian, or yea any of the post Gothic War magisters militum.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'm pretty represented in the Gundam and Literature threads.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

In terms of underrepresented famous Romans in modern works, probably the Gracchi, Aurelian, or yea any of the post Gothic War magisters militum.

this seems like a reasonable list but really anybody outside of the narrow caesar-jesus time period might as well not exist unless you're a rome nerd or catholic or both

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There was some weird historical RTS made by a Chinese company with a wild cast, Napoleon, Genghis Khan etc etc. But it had Aetius as the Rome représentative. Bizarre

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Is that one of the ones where it's blobs of Rome, Greece, Egypt and like Babylon or something dueling it out?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
I feel there's potential for set of miniseries for the Years of the X Emperors. Lots of interesting characters, political intrigue, military stuff, broad sweeps of Roman society at a particular time.

Best of all, the years of 4, 5 and 6 Emperors happened in that order chronologically, so you've already got the Ocean's 11 type sequel numbers built in.

(I'm imagining Adam Sandler as Vespasian constantly dropping terrible dad jokes to the chagrin of Titus and Domitian.)

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

ChocNitty posted:

Who do you guys think is the most under represented figure in ancient Rome?

Someone with a lot of significance, or a compelling story, but there’s no quality documentary or film about them?

Gaius Marius, Stilicho, Egalabalus for example.

Someone who needs that exposure like Hypatia got with the film Agora.

Diocletian. Rose from nobody to literal god-emperor of the known world, lived to retire.

For that matter, the whole rise and fall of the Constantinian dynasty. From military politicians on the make to god-emperors to prototypic Christian kings to extinction in the male line, all within one lifetime! Where’s my I, Claudius-esque epic about that?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Elissimpark posted:

I feel there's potential for set of miniseries for the Years of the X Emperors. Lots of interesting characters, political intrigue, military stuff, broad sweeps of Roman society at a particular time.

Best of all, the years of 4, 5 and 6 Emperors happened in that order chronologically, so you've already got the Ocean's 11 type sequel numbers built in.

(I'm imagining Adam Sandler as Vespasian constantly dropping terrible dad jokes to the chagrin of Titus and Domitian.)

"Dad! I'm trapped in Rome and angry mobs are burning town the Temple to Jupiter!"

"Hi Trapped in Rome, I'm Vespasian."

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

sullat posted:

"Dad! I'm trapped in Rome and angry mobs are burning town the Temple to Jupiter!"

"Hi Trapped in Rome, I'm Vespasian."

Your username reminded me that I want a good fictional version of Sulla's life because I have never really studied it in specific and he sounds like a fun type of lunatic to watch on TV.

mediocre dad okay
Jan 9, 2007

The fascist don't like life then he break other's
BEAT BEAT THE FASCIST

ChocNitty posted:

Mayonnaise is named after a city called Mahon, thats named after Hannibals brother, Mago Barca.

Next time you’re eating that BLT, think of all the Romans that dude killed.

No way! I come from just down the road (well, just down the sea) from Mahon and never knew that!

Glah
Jun 21, 2005

Tulip posted:

Your username reminded me that I want a good fictional version of Sulla's life because I have never really studied it in specific and he sounds like a fun type of lunatic to watch on TV.

First books in very fun Masters of Rome series by Colleen McCullough have Sulla in very prominent role!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Tulip posted:

First Man in Rome.

Sulla would also be my answer for least known consequential Roman guy

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

Going to write a YA book about the wonderful relationship between Caracalla and Geta.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

zoux posted:

First Man in Rome.

Sulla would also be my answer for least known consequential Roman guy

Agrippa? Wasn't Octavian's rise to becoming Augustus basically dependent on Agrippa's very unusual blend of extreme competence and extreme loyalty?

Also my phone autocorrected Augustus to Autistic and I almost left it that way :spergin:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I think everyone knows who knows about Augustus knows who Agrippa was. He's the greatest best friend a man could have.

Sulla is probably less known unless you actually care about Roman history.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
That's fair. A lot of peoples' knowledge of named Romans stops at Julius Caesar and most of the people who know more than that probably do know about Agrippa.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Embarrassing admission, I know a little about Augustus but nothing about Agrippa. Time to start learning!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Benagain posted:

Embarrassing admission, I know a little about Augustus but nothing about Agrippa. Time to start learning!

He's showing his disappointment in you. Agrippa was the greatest bro one could ever have.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Benagain posted:

He was the Samwise to Octavian's Frodo!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Eh …

More like Harry and Hermione

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

We can trace Samwise’s ancestry like five generations further back than Agrippa’s. Lol

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

skasion posted:

We can trace Samwise’s ancestry like five generations further back than Agrippa’s. Lol
Hobbits bothered to write important poo poo down

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Nessus posted:

Hobbits bothered to write important poo poo down

Also, Romans were snobbier. Seneca says (On Benefits III.32) that when Agrippa became famous, people looked up his family to see who these Vipsanii were. But they couldn’t find poo poo, presumably either because Agrippa was purposely covering it up or because they were so unimportant nobody cared.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He was a secret Sackville-Baggins, of course he covered it up

Also is the proper pronunciation of the double i plurals used in Latin, for example Vipsanii, "Vipsany" or "vipsany-i"

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

skasion posted:

on the other hand it isn't a hobbit's foot that got used as the model for the imperial measure

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

zoux posted:

Also is the proper pronunciation of the double i plurals used in Latin, for example Vipsanii, "Vipsany" or "vipsany-i"

I like the flow of whip-san-ee-ee, but I don't know how it should be said.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

zoux posted:

In fancy assed rhetorical Latin, probably “wipsanee-ee”. In general speech who knows.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'd probably be pretty disillusioned if I got sent back in time to End of Republic Rome, bunch of 5'1'' dirty guys going "weenie weenie weenie" constantly. And they'd probably call me a barbarian!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Agrippa was Augustus's big battle-winning guy when Augustus was still just kind of a scrub at war going up against veteran Mark Antony. He could've probably had a decent go at becoming emperor if he wanted; later generals definitely did based on their own personal competence (maybe it would've been harder before Augustus set up the position of Emperor, but Agrippa could've definitely done somethin'). But then Agrippa didn't, he and Augustus stuck together.

Which is much like Samwise Gamgee having the Ring of Power, knowing he could become a great leader and conqueror with its power, and then just deciding not to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PE-5ETUtW4

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sam and Frodo were not the same age, did not grow up together. They were way different classes in a really classist society (the white ) It’s not a good comparison. Agrippa was never Octavians servant

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

My fav post doing that comparison was something like

:agesilaus: Hey bro can you hold this ring for a sec?
:cool: Sure boss.
:agesilaus: Hey, can I have it back now?
:cool: Sure boss.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

zoux posted:

I'd probably be pretty disillusioned if I got sent back in time to End of Republic Rome, bunch of 5'1'' dirty guys going "weenie weenie weenie" constantly. And they'd probably call me a barbarian!

Dirty? Ouch. Go to Agrippa’s baths! It only costs a quarter!

SlothfulCobra posted:

Agrippa was Augustus's big battle-winning guy when Augustus was still just kind of a scrub at war going up against veteran Mark Antony. He could've probably had a decent go at becoming emperor if he wanted; later generals definitely did based on their own personal competence (maybe it would've been harder before Augustus set up the position of Emperor, but Agrippa could've definitely done somethin'). But then Agrippa didn't, he and Augustus stuck together.

If Agrippa had tried to seize power or strike out on his own, he would have been killed off or laughed out of town as an arriviste. He was literally just some guy who happened to be really good at working with young Caesar. He had no relevance to anyone outside this context. Tacitus’ “secret of empire”, that anyone with a provincial army could be king, was more than a lifetime away. Two of the Four Emperors about whom he was complaining there were of undistinguished Italian families: Vitellius, whose father had been consul three times, and Vespasian, who had been (gasp!) born a knight. A guy like Agrippa wouldn’t have had a prayer, which is why it is so notable that a few centuries later a guy like Diocletian really could rise from nowhere to empire in one career.

The comparison of Salvidienus, another of young Caesar’s no-name Italian friends, is illustrative. In 40, when Antonius was the leading man of Rome and coming home from the east to make new arrangements with young Caesar, Salvidienus decided he would abandon Caesar and go over to Antony with his legions. Antony told this to Caesar, who summoned Salvidienus, threw the accusation in his face, and had him executed.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Though I also remember a Macbeth version

:witch::witch::witch: Hail Augustus, who will be emperor! Hail Agrippa, whose children will be emperors thereafter.

:cool: Hey boss, looks like our kids are gonna get hitched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

skasion posted:

Dirty? Ouch. Go to Agrippa’s baths! It only costs a quarter!

Here's your olive oil and scraping stick.