Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
New patch dropped:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...mWPa3ytLDYMcN5I

quote:

- Increased leisure probability to balance the "No customers" situation with commercial companies
- Improved balance of companies' profit
- Tuned down companies ordering input resources when their storage don't have enough space
- Fixed trade resource bug preventing some resources from being consumed
- Fixed miscalculation in college/university eligible count
- Improved conditions for companies to move away when bankrupt
- Fixed a dependency error with land value causing potential instability
- Fixed an issue where loading a new map would cause water state to get out of sync with the save data
- Slightly increased Windows emission intensity
- Optimizations for area lights
- Prefer rendering small objects after large ones when possible to improve GPU performances in some cases
- Improved shadow LOD calculations to cull irrelevant shadow casters earlier
- Reduced situations where trees and alpha clipped objects would lead to virtual texturing space running out
- Fixed citizens hanging around at park areas on regular building lots never getting inside the building
- Decreased resolution of unnecessary large character textures
- Removed Spasm radio ad (due to offensive content)
- Added missing localization ID for Paradox account linking

Looks like a lot of the noted simulations issues were addressed, will need to test if they work properly now. and lol at the offensive content on Spasm radio, isn't this your game?

GlassEye-Boy fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Nov 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I like this

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I can't tell if the playground upgrade to elementary schools is potentially busted in high density areas or useless.

A flat% increase to Well-being seems really good for the cost/footprint, but if there's a hard cap at "happy" and it doesn't matter how high it ultimately gets, it's useless, since it's pretty easy to get cims to be happy.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
I’ve messed around a bunch but haven’t seriously started a game and plan to this weekend. Are people enjoying the progression mode at all or finding it frustratingly limited? I think I’m leaning towards starting with everything unlocked.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

funkymonks posted:

I’ve messed around a bunch but haven’t seriously started a game and plan to this weekend. Are people enjoying the progression mode at all or finding it frustratingly limited? I think I’m leaning towards starting with everything unlocked.

I think it's fine, it really doesn't take that long to get everything unlocked and in my experience I appreciate the slower ramp-up before things get too complex.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
What the heck is Windows emission intensity?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

funkymonks posted:

It's up and down, making it so that you unlock services (and therefore demand for those services) slower is good so that you don't have to end up bankrupting yourself to provide doctors and cops for six houses. However I do feel that the zoning should all be unlocked at the start, or at least moved up in the queue, so you don't have demand and space for high density buildings three levels before you can unlock them. Or at least make high density residential and commercial unlock at the same time.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

explosivo posted:

I think it's fine, it really doesn't take that long to get everything unlocked and in my experience I appreciate the slower ramp-up before things get too complex.

Yeah it sets a nice progression, its just not that deep, and stops mattering pretty quickly.

I'd say for at least the first couple playthroughs its fun to play with it on. Not sure if I'll use it past that, unless they change it to be more fun.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Building windows emit light, thats emission. They're making the windows of buildings brighter, probably at nighttime when the lights on skyscraper were too dim for most peoples' tastes.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Oh ok. The capital W didn’t help me out there.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
they should add a hint system and call it "city guidelines"

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

That controls the intensity of the window emissions.

spckr
Aug 3, 2014

here we go
the patch more than doubled my public transport usage. From ~90k to ~200k in a city of 110k

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Do we think this patch will fix a chunk of the underlying economic simulation that didn't appear to be working?

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Popete posted:

Do we think this patch will fix a chunk of the underlying economic simulation that didn't appear to be working?

Cargo and trash, were commented on as still something in review. But the commercial and industry balance should supposedly be better.

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

I wonder if this patch will fix my airports

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

MikeC posted:

Cargo and trash, were commented on as still something in review. But the commercial and industry balance should supposedly be better.

yea they presumably changed the thresholds at which companies can go out of business to be less lenient

pre-patch they apparently need to hit -$50k in net worth and fail to pay rent before they shut down. net worth includes cash on hand but also inventory, so if they were barely not making ends meet they'd take forever to go out of businesses, especially if the actual cost of building rent was very low.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Wish accidents had replays because I would have loved to see what lead to this

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Wow they really went all-in for realism in the North America building set

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Fishstick posted:

Now there's a mod idea

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Do anyone know what's up with the Emergency Shelters having a listed maintenance cost of 815k and 20M per month? But after building the small one it has an actual cost of 15k per month.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Accidents are crazy dynamic and cool and it really is a shame there isn't either a replay functionality or at least a way to quickly get a notification.

On the bright side - crashes seem to create crashes, so you can usually catch one in progress after the first!

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Fishstick posted:

Rookie mistake. The guardrails go on the upper level.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Mail/Garbage/Cargo still seems to be broken.

Happy to see the thousands of zombie citizens sleeping standing up in front of their houses has been addressed, I think that is where a lot of the increased transit ridership is coming from.

Cygni posted:

row house residents have decided to sleep standing up outside frozen in time like zombies. halloween 2 spooky.

big

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I'm SO GLAD that they got rid of that radio ad. Offensive yes, AND it was just an awful assault on the ears. Other radio chatter I can filter out just fine, even if it is obnoxious.

I have yet to catch an accident in action, I should just hover over the busiest intersections and hope for the best.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Jyrraeth posted:

I'm SO GLAD that they got rid of that radio ad. Offensive yes, AND it was just an awful assault on the ears. Other radio chatter I can filter out just fine, even if it is obnoxious.

I immediately turned off the music after hearing the first DJ segment. What was offensive?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I immediately turned off the music after hearing the first DJ segment. What was offensive?
Steam comments say it used the word “spaz” in a product name.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Oh christ, I think I've been misreading the commercial heatmap this whole time.

Do I have this right?

Does anyone else think this is really odd colour choices?

The red box is the gradient, its controlling the terrain colour, showing you how much commercial demand there is overlaid on terrain.

The gradient goes from white (lowest number of customers) to orange (medium) to green (high number of customers).

But the view has this base tone of blue, and the bright green in the overlay becomes a very dark green that's hard to see. The orange is showing up as a brown that I took as meaning "low commercial demand". And the white shows up as.....nothing? It might be the blue tone that shows up I guess.

Like the "Commercial Suitability" gradient on the roads seems to make sense -- the bright green means commercial is good there, and the fading to orange and red means commercial does badly there. They've made the bright green a very dark green that's hard to see, and they've made the medium option a dark brown that makes you not want to build there.

I don't think it'd be so bad if the green was bright, but not having the brown/red be the lowest option seems strange. Also most heatmaps I've seen seem to do a blue=lowest, going on a gradient to bright yellow or orange or red as the highest option. Not sure why they didn't just do that same thing here :psyduck:

edit: also if you're zoning commercial, the white zone grid overlay obscures any of the heatmap details

Only registered members can see post attachments!

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 2, 2023

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Steam comments say it used the word “spaz” in a product name.

They also say if you don't like it you should move to China or Russia.

Steam Discussion boards continue to be garbage.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dOeGTIhqrY

this is the commercial in question

i turned off the radio and chirper after the first day, now i just switch between the simcity soundtracks or the surviving mars soundtracks on spotify

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Has anyone gotten warehouse industrial buildings to level up at all? Mine are all stuck at lvl 1 and rotate through going out of business and collapsing.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Well I'm not sure if this indicates something is broken or that something was fixed lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcdhR3uALj0

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Skyl3lazer posted:

Well I'm not sure if this indicates something is broken or that something was fixed lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcdhR3uALj0

I think it was this item:

quote:

- Fixed trade resource bug preventing some resources from being consumed

from the patch.

Something like, shops weren't consuming goods, so industrial output wasn't used as much. Industry probably wasn't needed as much.

Now suddenly, shops need a ton of industrial resources, so tons of trucks fly in to deliver things and take things to shops. Big log jam.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I ended up just moving my landfill so i can make it bigger.
Disappointed that using the terrain tool to make a giant hole doesn't increase the landfill size

Up to 42k pop and just plopping grids and grids and grids down.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Trash seems better now, but mail I think is still at least sort of broken. I have a post sorting facility that does absolutely nothing, still.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

How can I stop my idiots from doing blatantly illegal traffic maneuvers? They do this during rush hour and stop all traffic in both directions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_rlTIcOa-Q

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There's a certain chance for drivers to do stupid illegal dangerous poo poo but three times in a few seconds does seem excessive.

Try rebuilding that curve. The fact that they're all doing it at the same spot where the roads meet strangely makes me wonder. In CS1 you could have an intersection misalign and drivers thought that poo poo like a multi-lane u-turn was a valid move if you didn't use Traffic Manager to set lane connectors.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Skyl3lazer posted:

How can I stop my idiots from doing blatantly illegal traffic maneuvers? They do this during rush hour and stop all traffic in both directions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_rlTIcOa-Q

Most realistic part of this game tbh.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Digital Jedi posted:

I ended up just moving my landfill so i can make it bigger.
Disappointed that using the terrain tool to make a giant hole doesn't increase the landfill size

Up to 42k pop and just plopping grids and grids and grids down.

I like your landfill-hill!

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

That does remind me that it'd be cool if you could turn landfills in to hills and reclaim the land.

That's what happens in real life, but it takes decades to do. Cover it with dirt, monitor the pollution and any leaching, then make a park out of it or build some houses on top of it.

Not sure if its worth it in game, since you could empty it (or bulldoze it I believe) and just terraform a hill out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

death cob for cutie posted:

I like your landfill-hill!

I don't want people passing the highway to see a landfill. It's a bad look to see that firstly as you drive by