Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Minute Maid Park is tucked into a nice section in the middle of downtown Houston, Globe Life is in the concrete playground they purpose built for all the fun stuff to do in south Oklahoma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I was looking on Google Maps to figure out if Arlington had a downtown area that would make more sense for a parade but it doesn't seem to really have one. I guess the nearest downtown area would be in Dallas or Fort Worth.

Popete fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 2, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No downtown, plenty of soulless desolation.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

ATT Way lol. Come on

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The parking lots are sponsored !!!!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It's gonna be a lot of fun being on ranger way sponsored by carls Jr, watching the world champion Texas Rangers scoot past me clearly hungover, and then I'll take Jerry Jones scrotum boulevard to a fudruckers and enjoy a chocolate shake before going to six flags over texas and throwing up on the carousel.

Brought to you by Wal-Mart. It'll be great.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How long does it take you to get to Arlington from where you live

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Maybe 30 minutes, usually. Gonna take longer tomorrow.

Honestly, if yall wanna talk poo poo about Arlington just make fun of them for refusing to embrace any semblance of public transit because Jerruh needs his parking lot money. It's a dumb city that loves getting absolutely fleeced in avoidable taxes.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Unless your starting point is Arlington, the answer is half an hour or longer.

e: for the two years I was in Dallas, it was near Addison and that'd be a 45-60 drive in traffic not accounting for congestion trying to get to a parade route.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Popete posted:

I was looking on Google Maps to figure out if Arlington had a downtown area that would make more sense for a parade but it doesn't seem to really have one. I guess the nearest downtown area would be in Dallas or Fort Worth.

Yeah, even Phoenix and the surrounding suburbs aren't that bad*, and we sell everything that has any value to corporate sponsors and developers.

*yet

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

We'd play a game in the texpol thread whenever a new Jan 6th defendant got charged: "Which Metroplex suburb is this person from?" Usually Frisco.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Arlington is fine, it looks like the kind of place most people I care about live.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I guess a DBacks parade wouldn't be so bad since it's November but god imagine a Suns parade, you'll have so many people get heatstroke

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Intruder posted:

I guess a DBacks parade wouldn't be so bad since it's November but god imagine a Suns parade, you'll have so many people get heatstroke

Sounds like it'd reduce the water usage, so probably a net positive

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Arlington is what it is, but I do enjoy that the parade route goes right in front of the Death Star.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

zoux posted:

We'd play a game in the texpol thread whenever a new Jan 6th defendant got charged: "Which Metroplex suburb is this person from?" Usually Frisco.

This is Plano erasure.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

General Dog posted:

Arlington is fine, it looks like the kind of place most people I care about live.

Got lots of friends who live in Arlington, and there's some nice pockets to it away from the mess. It's just where it's a mess it's...well, messy.

Comparing it to Houston is unfair since Houston has eaten all of its surroundings, both good and bad.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I still can't believe the loving Rangers won a world series. This has to be made up.

Is this what people felt like when the Twins won the world series back in 1987?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Shinjobi posted:

Got lots of friends who live in Arlington, and there's some nice pockets to it away from the mess. It's just where it's a mess it's...well, messy.

Comparing it to Houston is unfair since Houston has eaten all of its surroundings, both good and bad.

Dallas and Houston both had white flight. Houston's response was to say gently caress that and just swallow the flight and keep bloating out. Dallas took a different approach.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Dameius posted:

Dallas and Houston both had white flight. Houston's response was to say gently caress that and just swallow the flight and keep bloating out. Dallas took a different approach.

I'm not sure its all that different. I bought a house in Little Elm (basically Denton) in 2021 because the housing market was utter loving chaos at the time. Its still just non-stop construction up here almost 3 years later. They are determined to pave and suburbanize every square inch all the way to Oklahoma at this point.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

This will be the most on-brand American parade ever. A pointless loop around parking lots in a car-centric suburban wasteland. It's perfect.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I hope Tom Grieve is having a good day

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

tadashi posted:

I still can't believe the loving Rangers won a world series. This has to be made up.

Can't be, the 1987 Twins had a negative run differential, the 9th best record that year, and would have finished as high as second in only one other division that season. (They would have been 5th in the AL East and 4th in the NL East)

The 2023 Rangers had the 4th best run differential & 6th best record in baseball. They're a good team that swooned late and recovered in time to go the distance in October.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don’t know how Texas isn’t continually haunted

It’s accursed

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

euphronius posted:

I don’t know how Texas isn’t continually haunted

It’s accursed

I can't hear the ghosts over the AC

Dukberry
Nov 5, 2013

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Consider this: the first season where tag is retired, the Rangers go the distance. I love the man but the evidence suggests that he was cursed.

It's the hummus sandwiches.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
https://twitter.com/matttomic/status/1720112949438599627

tadashi posted:

The Twins were really good, and everybody liked Kirby, so it wasn't surprising in the least.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Bandire posted:

I'm not sure its all that different. I bought a house in Little Elm (basically Denton) in 2021 because the housing market was utter loving chaos at the time. Its still just non-stop construction up here almost 3 years later. They are determined to pave and suburbanize every square inch all the way to Oklahoma at this point.

I meant that the municipal boundaries of Houston kept expanding to recapture the flight (obviously not universally, and the furthest flung white flight still stayed independent and blah blah blah) while Dallas metro has a lot of individual municipalities. After Houston annexed Kingwood in the 90s the state got pissy and basically shut Houston down from doing it again. Both Houston and DFW are sprawling blobs of strip malls and parking lots. But we're getting pretty far from baseball at this point so I'll drop it there.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Dameius posted:

This is Plano erasure.

Don't threaten me with a good time.

E: Dallas is recapturing its white flight too, just not the same way. Source: From, and still in, Irving.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I went back and watched the 1996 "Arena notices the Rangers just won the AL West on the out of town" clip to hear Mark Holtz and holy poo poo, that's how you sports tears yourself.

DOOMocrat fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 2, 2023

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Haven't seen anybody post it yet so here are :siren: IMPORTANT 2023-2024 OFFSEASON DATES :siren:

11/2: That's today! The WS is over, congratulations to all the Texas Rangers and their fans, besides Aroldis Chapman. On this date all players set to be free agents are, well, officially free agents. However! None of them can sign yet, so cool your jets.

11/6: Free agents are now officially allowed to sign places! Also any contract options (player, club, vesting, mutual, etc) must be exercised or declined by this day at the latest. So this is the actual real "start" of the offseason for the purposes of ~tHe HoT sToVe~

11/5-11/16: All the various awards (GG, SS, MVP, Cy, etc) will get announced during this window. Check out MLB's page here for specific dates: https://www.mlb.com/awards/2023 Preemptive congratulations to Cody Bellinger of the Chicago Cubs for his Comeback Player of the Year award. :toot:

11/7-11/9: GM Meetings, which are not the Winter Meetings™, please get it right. You might see some of the earliest FA deals happen here but probably nothing major.

11/14: Deadline for players hit with the QO to accept or decline. Also the last day for teams to set their 40-man for the purposes of the Rule 5 draft. Can't let Sleve McDichael go unprotected!!!

11/17: Deadline to tender arb-elligable players. That's right, you too might get to experience the joys of watching your team non-tender a future postseason legend so your team's poor, destitute, downtrodden owner can save a couple mil.

12/3-12/6: The Winter Meetings™, which get hyped up every year as being the nexus of the Deal Zone™ but usually are kind of a dud. All the GM's go meet in one place (but it's not the GM Meetings, get it right!!!) and a bunch of players and agents go there too. Some guys might sign! Most will not! Exciting!!!

12/5: The dumb as poo poo MLB draft lottery, which is completely unnecessary but hey look at us kids, we're like basketball now, engagement!11!!!!!11

12/6: Rule 5 Draft, where your team is guaranteed to lose a player you're sure is going to be a future star and pick up a player you're sure is dogshit garbage.

1/12: Last date for teams and players to file arb numbers. Most players will come to terms and that will be that, but a few will get dragged into arb hearings over like $250K and get really salty over it on twitter, drama!

2/13: Spring Training begins! Er, kinda, really this is just pitchers and catchers reporting, but still! Baseball!

2/22: Spring Training actually begins! Come down to beautiful Arizona or tune in from home to watch all your favorite players get like 1 IP or 1 AB and then get subbed out for Willie Dustice and Rey McSriff the rest of the way.

3/28: Baseball is BACK.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Nelson Cruz has officially retired. He didn't get to 500 HR so no-one will argue whether he is or isn't a HOFer and then have to talk about STEROIDS.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Red posted:

The Twins were really good
were they though? the 1987 Twins were "good" kinda like Jack Morris was an elite starting pitcher

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

bawfuls posted:

were they though? the 1987 Twins were "good" kinda like Jack Morris was an elite starting pitcher

My point was this team that nobody really follows finally wins the world series.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
The 2024 Chicago Cubs open at Texas and get to watch the Rangers raise a flag and get their rings. Here's hoping that this experience imparts The Will To Win in our fresh young hungry rookies freshly-signed and overpaid clubhouse cancer vets

Red
Apr 15, 2003

bawfuls posted:

mcmagic asked how people felt, and my recollection that year is that everybody I knew felt like it was a given the Twins would win when it came down to them and St. Louis. (Edit: I was in like 2nd grade, so)

I also remember loving the poo poo out of the '87 Topps series, and I got more of that set than any other series until '91 Upper Deck.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

tadashi posted:

My point was this team that nobody really follows finally wins the world series.
we have great Twins and Rangers representation here, and that is my only barometer

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Red posted:

mcmagic asked how people felt, and my recollection that year is that everybody I knew felt like it was a given the Twins would win when it came down to them and St. Louis. (Edit: I was in like 2nd grade, so)

I also remember loving the poo poo out of the '87 Topps series, and I got more of that set than any other series until '91 Upper Deck.
I presume this comes down to the fact that's after they knocked out the 98 win Tigers

I have no memory of 1987 but I assume going into the postseason the Tigers were the prohibitive favorites

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I have to imagine Cubs are gonna slap a QO on Bellinger.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

bawfuls posted:

I presume this comes down to the fact that's after they knocked out the 98 win Tigers

I have no memory of 1987 but I assume going into the postseason the Tigers were the prohibitive favorites

Presumably. I think people generally accepted the Royals would be good, and once Bo Jackson became a thing, everyone felt like they'd probably be good for a while.

Oops.

https://twitter.com/SInow/status/1719916293141213689

Smith should ask for a billion dollars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
I was a sophomore in high school for the 1987 World Series.

Off the top of my head, all I really remember about it was liking that the Twin won and the HOMER HANKY.

Huh. There were some cool World Series when I was in high school.

Red Sox / Mets with the Buckner nonsense.
Twins / Cards - though not much stands out.
Dodgers / A's - Gibson's home run was on my 17th birthday.
Giants / A's - big rear end Earthquake.