Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Hello thread. My red Xbone controller that I’ve used with Steam for years is finally gettting weird and funky with button presses glitching. I’ve been looking for an excuse to replace it for a while now, any good recommendations? I’m not a fan of the PS5 controller, should I just get the latest Xbox controller? Is it worth splurging on their elite? (I don’t game competitively or anything.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The newer Xbox series controllers are the best PC controllers you can buy imo. The elites have back paddles which some people love but I've always been fine without it. Probably up to you but the standard ones are very very good and supported by everything.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
What's the best dpad on a controller

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

explosivo posted:

The newer Xbox series controllers are the best PC controllers you can buy imo. The elites have back paddles which some people love but I've always been fine without it. Probably up to you but the standard ones are very very good and supported by everything.

i think they're bad value (no extra features), and the in my case the quality control sucked.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Switch pros for me, sometimes they claim to have batteries

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Nothing except 8bitdo is worth getting IMO, they all might have stick drift issues if you don’t have Hall effect sticks but the biggest issue I run into are build quality, controllers should not have bumpers break and such within 2 years of very normal use. The elite controllers are incredibly overpriced and also have build quality issues.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Rinkles posted:

i think they're bad value (no extra features), and the in my case the quality control sucked.

Yeah I never even held one so I was going to let someone else chime in but it always seemed like the controller option for the gamer with too much money to spend. I'd probably grab one of those new 8bitdo's if I really needed a controller with back-paddles. I'm sure they're handy to have but I've gotten by this long without em so :shrug:

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

explosivo posted:

I replaced my trusty old 360 controller that lasted forever with a newer xbox one controller and I hate it because the right trigger sticks.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I replaced my trusty old 360 controller that lasted forever with a newer xbox one controller and I hate it because the right trigger sticks.

The A button does on mine, rip 360 controllers

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

explosivo posted:

Yeah I never even held one so I was going to let someone else chime in but it always seemed like the controller option for the gamer with too much money to spend.

i was actually referring to the base series controller

so far my 8bitdo ultimate is pretty cool (the dock is great), but I didn't splurge for the hall effect model so drift is probably inevitable

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I have a wired One controller and my right trigger sticks a little bit too. Noticed this while playing Jusant the other day and it's very annoying :argh:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

drat I guess I got lucky with my Xbox controller, I bought it last summer and the build quality is excellent and my triggers and sticks are fine. I personally don't need fancy bells and whistles as long as it works and for me, so far, it has been rock solid.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

Just booted up Marvel's Spider Man Remastered and I'm getting my rear end kicked. Maybe I shouldn't have picked the second-highest difficulty level when I'm not very good at that Arkham Asylum endless combo type combat

e: alright, I guess spamming left click + CTRL constantly works reasonably well

e2: Tara Platt is in so many things

Arkham combat is extremely reactive where you wait for the enemy to attack and then parry to create openings, Spider-Man combat is kinda the opposite cause you will get your rear end kicked hard if you try to wait for the enemy to do something. Instead, move around, stay airborne as much as possible, and use your webshooters and gadgets to create your own openings. Wrapping up enemies and slamming them into walls/the floor will insta-KO them, abuse this mechanic as much as possible

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I seem to be the luckiest person in the world ... not sure I've ever had joystick drift on anything except a CH Flightstick from 1990.

But +1 8bitdo controllers.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Phlegmish posted:

Just booted up Marvel's Spider Man Remastered and I'm getting my rear end kicked. Maybe I shouldn't have picked the second-highest difficulty level when I'm not very good at that Arkham Asylum endless combo type combat

e: alright, I guess spamming left click + CTRL constantly works reasonably well

e2: Tara Platt is in so many things

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Arkham combat is extremely reactive where you wait for the enemy to attack and then parry to create openings, Spider-Man combat is kinda the opposite cause you will get your rear end kicked hard if you try to wait for the enemy to do something. Instead, move around, stay airborne as much as possible, and use your webshooters and gadgets to create your own openings. Wrapping up enemies and slamming them into walls/the floor will insta-KO them, abuse this mechanic as much as possible

Yeah this, I tried to play Spiderman initially like youre Batman but NO youre Spiderman, "Does whatever a spider can", keep mobile and use the aerial web pull to bring guys up in the air with you to beat on.

I love the Arkham style combat and im glad spiderman does it own twist on it, i cant wait to play the second one, somday

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Yeah my Xbone One controller held up like a champ for the past 5 years, only now started getting wonky. I’ll probably just get the new one unless somebody wants to go to bat for an 8-bitdo or something else. Gonna stay away from an elite, don’t need those extra features.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

My Elite's bumpers broke after two months and after some googling, the issue appears to be pretty common and has been for quite a few years now. Apparently the non-elite controllers don't have this issue.

I have an 8bitdo in the mail partly thanks to this thread. Hopefully its decent

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
I've enjoyed my 8bitdo Ultimate for about a year now. Feels much better than the old wired 360 controller it replaced. I do not think the D-pad is the best, though.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i wonder how humble choice feels about fanatical constantly trumping them with their build a bundles. every month fanatical's got a B-A-B that has something on my wishlist and the humble choices almost never do despite being a "specially curated" subscription service

here's platinum november collection. 3 for $10
https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/platinum-collection-build-your-own-bundle

Roadwarden
Minoria (on my wishlist!)
Syberia 4 (on my wishlist!)
Spiderheck
Industria
In Other Waters
Rhythm Sprout (on my wishlist!)
Soundfall
Neo Cab & Orwell double pack
Pumpkin Jack
Gibbon Beyond the Trees
Kingdom Two Crowns
Inertial Drift
Aeon Must Die
Batbarian
Spacelines from the Far Out
Founder's Fortune
Land Above Sea Below
Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Stormground
Tinkertown

eukara
Aug 5, 2014

Do you believe in life after bomb?
Radiant Silvergun is available now wooo

$20

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

eukara posted:

Radiant Silvergun is available now wooo

$20
I'd say, "now someone please please please do Gradius V," but ugh while developed by Treasure it was published by Konami.

Can upscale it somewhat well in an emulator but it's not perfect.

KNR
May 3, 2009
I really like the concave dpad on the series xbox controllers, don't think I could have done this poo poo (timestamp) with most other dpads I've used:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMTey9MrYDs&t=81s
+1 on the quality issues though, so far nothing some wd40 on the trigger spring didn't fix, but I've also had it for less than a year.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i like the 8bitdo dpad but it is a very cardinal NES-style dpad in look and feel and so that's not going to be great for diagonals (i think it doesn't have the usual "moving your thumb a hair to the left or right on Down turns it into a diagonal" issue that these dpads can have). but i've already played celeste so i'm fine

also a lot of modern metroidvanias for whatever reason seem to think that character movement should be on the analog trigger (Afterimage :argh:) sure it frees up the d-pad for like, healing potion quick access, but i dont care, gimme my dpad movement!!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
My 8bitdo Pro 2 has been fantastic, especially since I can use it with the systems I personally own (iOS and Win11, AppleTV OS). I can’t speak to other ecosystems or consoles, but it’s great and easy to pair with -whatever system- I’m playing atm.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

fwiw both of the current gen Scuf controllers are exceptional (Reflex PS5/Instinct Xbox - NOT the new pc specific Envision)

however they're very expensive, do not use hall effect sticks, and Scuf has a checkered record of QC - though since Corsair bought them that seems to have improved, I haven't had any issues with either one, and really enjoy them for what I use them for (Reflex for multiplayer FPS stuff, Instinct for SP games mostly)

Recommended with caveats, I think a lot of cheaper controllers would probably do you just as well if you don't care about 4x back paddles, the 8bitdo or just a regular rear end controller from either system

If you don't have a preference, PS5 haptics are super loving cool for the PC versions of PS5 games that do support them (Returnal, Spiderman, Alan Wake 2, etc)

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
I almost never use the back paddles on my Ultimate, but that's mainly because most games don't recognize them by default and I can't be bothered to muck around with Steam Input, which is a little surprising as a former steam controller user who enjoyed making custom configs for every game I played.

The four paddles on my Steam Deck, though, I use all the time. Those ones usually "just work" for me.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

skeletronics posted:

I almost never use the back paddles on my Ultimate, but that's mainly because most games don't recognize them by default and I can't be bothered to muck around with Steam Input, which is a little surprising as a former steam controller user who enjoyed making custom configs for every game I played.

The four paddles on my Steam Deck, though, I use all the time. Those ones usually "just work" for me.

With the Ultimate software you can at least set them up as any other controller button (or a macro). Or have multiple bindings across profiles.

Not sure if this works for the more expensive model, because it connects differently, but with my Ultimate when in D-Input mode I can actually bind the back buttons independently, just not through Steam. I used AntiMicroX.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

binding the back buttons to replicate L3/R3 is a decent catch-all configuration

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
I'll add in my 2 cents since I have bought a few premium controllers in the past year.
Note: I never use the back paddles, so those are a waste to me.

PS5: Bought the Dual Sense Edge - I like that I can swap out the sticks if they start to drift, but the battery life on it sucks - especially for the price. Feels good, but still would not recommend.

PC: Been using a Razer Wolverine (V1) for a couple years - really like it, but it's wired. Really like the swappable d-pad and sticks. Haven't tried the V2 version, but when researching it earlier this year, didn't like the reliability of it from reviews. So far, it's the best gamepad I've ever used, but it's pricey.

Gaming Laptop: Xbox Elite 2 - really like the feel of this one, but haven't used it enough, and it's quite heavy. I did start to cramp with the back paddles (even tough I wasn't using them - just from resting my fingers on them) so I removed them. Don't have enough time with this one to recommend, but I would not be surprised, yet disappointed, if it had issues. Swappable d-pad/sticks are a bonus.

I also looked into the SCUF gamepads, but decided against them for some reason.

Even though I've never used the 8bitdo Pro 2, I've only heard positives about it. I'd probably buy this one next if I needed a new controller, or if on a budget just use a regular PS5 dualsense.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I think I'll give that Razer Wolverine v1 a shot, my one Elite controller's triggers stuck in and became worthless, and the replacement only registers the A buttons half the time. I'm pretty disappointed how unreliable they are, so if that thing just lasts, great. Seems to be on sale too at the moment

Controllers are too loving expensive now for how garbage they seem to be anymore lol

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

so, as far as official console controllers go, i think the xbox series controller is actually pretty darn good, especially that circle d-pad for certain types of games, it's a very clever design. i think it replaced the xbox 360 controller as my favorite xbox controller since the DUKE. the sloping textured grips feel good to hold, the buttons feel right.

i've never LOVED the dual shock but i think the DS4 was decently good-- except that it very easily broke mini-usb cables which drove me crazy. the dual sense, though... aside from the neat haptic triggers, i think it kinda sucks? like the dpad and buttons just don't feel very good to press. idk if it's that they don't have enough travel, but they have a really pseudo-mushy feel that i would never expect from a first-party peripheral.

the wii u gamepad was bizarrely comfortable to hold and use and the switch joycons were a step back, but the switch pro gamepad is.. fine. it's fine. i use it only for my switch when docked, though. it's not so great that i want to use it with everything

the wired xbox 8bitdo ultimate feels solid enough that i could see myself using it with my desktop, laptop, and my xbox altogether, which is pretty good for the $20 i spent. and the cord's 9 feet long!!! someone finally understands me

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Looks like 8bitdo Pro 2 (and maybe everything 8bitdo) I bought isn't actually available in my country - they just removed the listing and said my order was going to be delayed.

So I guess I'll get some variety of Sony controller instead.

I wish the Elite wasn't crap. Everything about how it feels screams quality and it's basically the only controller out there with 4 back paddles.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

The 7th Guest posted:

here's platinum november collection. 3 for $10

Spiderheck

If you have friends you like to play local games with Spiderheck is a real good time. It's a more melee focused and more neon Duck Game, if that makes sense.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Fruits of the sea posted:

I wish the Elite wasn't crap. Everything about how it feels screams quality and it's basically the only controller out there with 4 back paddles.

Maybe they will get it right with a third version of it. Right now there's three big problems that I'm aware of: non-hall sticks that poo poo themselves after a while, triggers breaking, and buttons that get stuck and start doing ghost presses.

I would still wait for a bunch of reviews before buying a third version of the Elite.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

sooooo......iron oath? is this good?

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

So I thought Talos Principle 2 was supposed to come out tomorrow, but I just got a notification it was just released. Super excited for this one!

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

The elite was so expensive, so crap.

I bought an 8bit ultimate for my boy's android without realising it works on pc and switch but not android so now I have that and he has the 360 controller, everybodies happy.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kragger99 posted:

PC: Been using a Razer Wolverine (V1) for a couple years - really like it, but it's wired. Really like the swappable d-pad and sticks. Haven't tried the V2 version, but when researching it earlier this year, didn't like the reliability of it from reviews. So far, it's the best gamepad I've ever used, but it's pricey.

Same. I got it when it was on sale at best buy for like $70 and it was absolutely a steal at that price. It’s a very good controller.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man

Rinkles posted:

With the Ultimate software you can at least set them up as any other controller button (or a macro). Or have multiple bindings across profiles.

Not sure if this works for the more expensive model, because it connects differently, but with my Ultimate when in D-Input mode I can actually bind the back buttons independently, just not through Steam. I used AntiMicroX.

I never bothered with the 8bitdo software because I didn't see a linux version, but it looks like there's support for it on lutris, so I'll try to get that working. Just binding them to L3/R3 like someone said above would be really nice. I hate stick-clicking in games. Dang 'ol jumping off my horse in Elden Ring every time combat gets a little tense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Another nice option is to make one of the back paddles an autofire loot button (whatever the game's interact button is) so you can run around hoovering up tons of stuff by just holding it.