Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Dies to grizzly bear with a sorcerer role on it tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Vulnerable to Wraths but pretty great on the mana exchange. Notably dodges both Cut Down and Destroy Evil.

A 5 power 4 drop that ramps just by being there and has protection from targeted removal: alas it dies to wrath of god.

It helps you go from 4 to Atraxa or any of the other wacky 7 drops around pretty easily while still providing offense so I think it has legs.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

A 5 power 4 drop that ramps just by being there and has protection from targeted removal: alas it dies to wrath of god.

It helps you go from 4 to Atraxa or any of the other wacky 7 drops around pretty easily while still providing offense so I think it has legs.

I think this lad will have legs in golgari midrange too,, can let you T5 black virtue too if he sticks, or even just paying for half of the manland activate cost and then letting you cast an actual spell in 2nd mainphase seems nice

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Dang draft booster prices have tanked over the summer. Having been annoyed to see draft boxes go for $130 when first released, kind of nice to see nearly all previous sets from the past year (sans the most recent ones) go for under $100.

Wasn't paying attention to that and only saw it thanks to a Rudy video pop up (I know, I know.). Does feel a little gross in that he's very much sold the idea of mtg as investment and is kind of showing off that the past years worth of product has stunk for that. Glad I just buy the cards to play the dang game, and that maaaaaybe this will lead to new products hitting a ceiling or at the very least coming down in price a bit.*

*(yes, aware of the play booster price hike but look a man can dream right)

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

:3:

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

If there was ever a card that should have it's art on a playmat..

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Agreed where's my Pantlanza dino playmat Wizards you cowards?!! :mad:

I need an alt art of him as Dino from Flintstones

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
In response I cast Yabba Dabba Doo, saccing my Fruity Pebbles, and targeting Barney Rubble, Grand Poobah

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Universes Beyond 2026 sounding real good.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

MrL_JaKiri posted:

WHERE'S THE CAPYBARA, WIZARDS

Here you go
https://mythicspoiler.com/lci/cards/baskingcapybara.html

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Dang draft booster prices have tanked over the summer. Having been annoyed to see draft boxes go for $130 when first released, kind of nice to see nearly all previous sets from the past year (sans the most recent ones) go for under $100.

Wasn't paying attention to that and only saw it thanks to a Rudy video pop up (I know, I know.). Does feel a little gross in that he's very much sold the idea of mtg as investment and is kind of showing off that the past years worth of product has stunk for that. Glad I just buy the cards to play the dang game, and that maaaaaybe this will lead to new products hitting a ceiling or at the very least coming down in price a bit.*

*(yes, aware of the play booster price hike but look a man can dream right)

the entire thing with holding onto sealed boxes is long term though. it's the opposite of gross, he's talking with transparency about the short term but pointing out how and why outlier sets like dragon's maze or hour of devastation end up underperforming compared to other sets. more recently it's looking like capenna, crimson vow and midnight hunt are the big misses. idk there's plenty to criticize rudy for i bet but this is how speculating on sealed boxes has always worked?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Sounds like he changed his tune pretty quick, when the play boosters were announced he was telling people to snap up cheap draft boxes since the change was going to elevate the demand for cheaper draft boxes.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

That Capybara could see a bit of play in Standard as a way to flip Invasion of Amonkhet on 3. Probably not a lot but you never know.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

:allears:

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Am I being weird or is this potentially crazy in combo formats like EDH?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Sega 32X posted:

It’s a 2 mana negate with high color requirements that stops most (but by no means all) additional attempts to combo in a given turn

that sounds and is good but cEDH decks only have so many slots for counterspells and similar effects, and given the reasonably long list of 0-1 mana counterspells, proactive effects like silence (also 1 cmc) and grand abolisher, and poo poo like mana drain, I think this one finds itself on the outside looking in

e: as an example, what are you playing it over in something like this Tivit list?

there are definitely a few flex spots in the interaction suite where you could fit it, but nothing where it’s a clear upgrade and there is a fairly long list of other similarly powerful cards that you’d want to consider instead

LGD fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Nov 2, 2023

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Sega 32X posted:

I feel like you would rather run Dovin's Veto in most situations. And that is already kinda niche.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Maybe better in this Standard than Solemn Simulacrum would be, since you get the value stapled to the cave instead of exiled by Sunfall. I could see it, though anything rampy that doesn't upgrade the Domain deck is a big ask.

Super cool card, I like that it does the Adeline thing, but wow this is vulnerable to Cut Down. Really wants Yotian Dissident or the like to grow fast, but I don't like that card.

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Nov 2, 2023

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

VictualSquid posted:

I feel like you would rather run Dovin's Veto in most situations. And that is already kinda niche.

Countering a storm player who’s casting veil of summer is what comes to mind. I think it’s becoming more common to maindeck veil as a way to force interaction because once it resolves you’re golden against most all the interaction a blue based deck will run.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I think the Silence effect is pretty relevant, since people already run Silence. Puts it a bit above Dovin's Veto for the WU noncreature counter slot in my estimation.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Sega 32X posted:

I'm going to test it, but traditionally 2 CMC counters are only good in EDH if they hit absolutely everything, and I think in terms of practical application the silence part of the spell is going to be trinket text a good chunk of the time (and for a non-zero amount of time it will be potentially disastrous when you lock someone with a creature counter or removal out of being able to stop a Kiki line or something). It's neat that you can audible this into building your own Silence to protect a win if you have a cheap spell to throw away.

fadam fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Nov 2, 2023

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Bizarre card. Is there anything that benefits a lot from the combination of re- and animation?

Solid black commons that could see play. I think a map is worse than a treasure, but Costly Plunder that makes material has a pedigree in Deadly Dispute that has seen a ton of play in a bunch of formats. Fanatical Offering much better for Anvil than the synonyms that exist in Standard.

Bitter Triumph is the first targeted, unconditional 2 mana instant creature or PW removal that doesn't give the opponent resources. The modality of the cost is really nice since a lot of matchups and games are likely to polarize around one of the two resources rather than both. If you can turn the discard into a benefit (reanimator) it becomes very good, otherwise I'd probably want to play some Sheoldred's Edict first in Standard.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

It's like a goyf that dies to bolt, shame pauper is kinda broken right now because it'd be cool to gently caress around with otherwise

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
A graveyard set means I have to start practicing my smuggest voice to describe cards as "basically tarmogoyf".

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Someone was having the appropriate amount of fun designing cards.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Butter triumph rips

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Bizarre card. Is there anything that benefits a lot from the combination of re- and animation?

Was gonna say the there's that mid-tier BW reanimate deck for awhile. But the 1/1 clause kind of overshadows the flying boost.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

The target land deals three damage is a very funny addition

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Oh no

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

This set's "I wish this was legendary, so it could be commander".

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Solid black commons that could see play.

Bitter Triumph is uncommon

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I am loving these JP cards. Awesome flavor. Too bad I'll never own or play with any of them.

newershadow
May 18, 2014

The closest thing I can think of is something like Invigorating Hot Spring or a 0/0 artifact creature, where already it comes into play with counters on it.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Just cast Armageddon and this can't do anything.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Expensive deck boxes by Prof.

https://youtu.be/H1kU5iIwbA8?si=OFDXixq5c2_T78Ju

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

resistentialism posted:

Just cast Armageddon and this can't do anything.

I don't believe so, the damage ability is a nested trigger at the end step so armageddon will just stop that part. The rest should work fine.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

why would you have a character's name be abuelo. literally "grandfather" in spanish. really weird

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

kalel posted:

why would you have a character's name be abuelo. literally "grandfather" in spanish. really weird

Abuelo and Abuela in the story are generic old people, I think it fits

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

it looks like most of the cards in the commander decks will be getting new art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Abuelo and Abuela in the story are generic old people, I think it fits

I get that part, but it's like english-speaking-babby's first fantasy name for an old spanish person. it would be like if there was a character who is a butcher, and his function in the story is that he's a butcher, and his name was... "Butcher"

did hideo kojima consult on this set's design or what