Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Kpop skins rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Mostly gonna get screwed no matter what.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Rawrbomb posted:

I know you're just being a jerk here, but I did qualify my too high statement. I would prefer 15, over 20, but I cannot fault them for 20, when every other game like it is charging more, not less. It also must be somewhat successful, or we'd have seen changes on the pricing if it wasn't going well

That's my point. They can charge whatever they like for skins but it's stupid to pay high prices because it just loving encourages them.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

BabyRyoga posted:

The concept itself is far from stupid,
paying anything more than like $5 for a skin will always be extremely stupid actually

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

You can get OW coins for free by giving up mindshare to Microsoft each day doing the Bing rewards stuff if you’d rather not spend your hard earned dollars on cosmetic OW DLC. You would instead spend like maybe 5 mins of your time at most. Maybe that’s still to much for some. Lmao.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
lmfao bing rewards are you serious

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Herstory Begins Now posted:

lmfao bing rewards are you serious

Yes? Lol. I've been cycling MS reward points indefinitely for years now to keep my Xbox Game Pass subscription ongoing without having to pay for it. I only just yesterday found out you could redeem MS reward points for OW coins and that's how I funded a chunk of my Le Sserafim bundle purchase. The rest was from the remaining balance I had from Nintendo eShop gift cards :haw:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Cool that it's working for you but personally I'd rather start selling photos of my butt hole than jump whenever daddy Microsoft tells me to jump for 10 cents.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

You can do both.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Dragonstoned posted:

Is there a way to get this game to realise that I am nowhere near as good as I was when I last played OW1 2808 weeks ago?

Is it just a case of "ruin a bunch of people games by being bad" until it gets the hint or is it one of those "match maker is going to gently caress you no matter what" things

You're hosed. Same thing happened to all of my old scrim buddies, most of us sit in the high diamond/low master bracket now and the game insisted on chucking us into gm lobbies for like 15 games.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt

Jack Trades posted:

Cool that it's working for you but personally I'd rather start selling photos of my butt hole than jump whenever daddy Microsoft tells me to jump for 10 cents.

“I sell pics of my butthole for OW skins and can still only afford Rare skins”

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

BabyRyoga posted:

The concept itself is far from stupid, it's nice to have the option to support the games you love and add a cool bit of bling that you'll get some level of enjoyment from.

What makes it stupid in the case of this game specifically is that the devs (which includes Blizzard extended management) intentionally sabotaged this game, took away development resources, and restructured something that was once pretty great into garbage and potentially a scam when the remaining devs revealed they no longer have the backing and or competence to produce the product promised. Meanwhile, people have been spending money on the cosmetics like the ones we are talking about, because they were expecting a product that they will never get. Many of us were also permanently locked out of a much more superior product, IE, OW1, that we had paid money for at one point.

On top of that, the kpop skins look like garbage. If you are paying such a premium price, you'd think that they would be much much more, like have cool particle effects, and or special emotes, or voice lines that come with them.

So yeah, buying cosmetics in this game PROBABLY makes you at least some level of stupid. If it makes you happy, that's fine. But you are contributing to something that is arguably morally degenerate, and a frustration of many people who choose to not contribute specifically because it's the most effective way to bring about change.

Anyways, this rant is dumb. Most of us know the game is a flaming pile of excrement at this point. We only keep any level of investment because there is no other game that fills the same niche, and we are stuck with this garbage until either it gets better or something comes along to replace it.

On another note entirely, did they gently caress something with graphics settings up with this new patch? My 4090 machine that gets like 100 FPS at 4k resolution in loving Cyberpunk is now somehow lagging in OW, without the fans on the GPU even blowing. I'm getting micro-stutters where my 200 FPS drops to 70 or 80 every 5 or 6 seconds, and it is making this game ACTUALLY unplayable.

Yo I hate to break this to you man but only chronically online people think this way. I know lots of people who play OW, casually but regularly. In a rotation of games with friends. Most peoples reaction to the PvE news was indifference or mild disappointment. They all just keep playing, and having fun. People don't buy cosmetics expecting that to fund some amazing future product, they buy them because they go "oh, I play a lot of Kiriko, and that Kiriko skin looks awsome!". To most people $15-20 is perfectly normal and acceptable for a skin. If a game bothers you this much maybe you should just move on? Lots of us out here just play the game regularly and have fun doing it. When I get tired of it, I play other games for a bit, then I come back when I feel like playing it again. That's how like 99% of people interact with Overwatch.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
Idk, like your anecdote I had a very strong group of people that played OW and they all pretty much disappeared at OW2’s launch and cancelling the PvE made them uninstall, not because they were outraged, they just couldn’t be bothered.

The prices have to be high because OW ain’t doing so hot per blizzard and they gotta keep the lights on.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The only person I know that still play's is chronically addicted to playing and complaining about it.

Everyone else uninstalled either after the first season of "OW2" or after the pve cancellation and now only really keep up with it every now and again to laugh at it.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

toadee posted:

Yo I hate to break this to you man but only chronically online people think this way. I know lots of people who play OW, casually but regularly. In a rotation of games with friends. Most peoples reaction to the PvE news was indifference or mild disappointment. They all just keep playing, and having fun. People don't buy cosmetics expecting that to fund some amazing future product, they buy them because they go "oh, I play a lot of Kiriko, and that Kiriko skin looks awsome!". To most people $15-20 is perfectly normal and acceptable for a skin. If a game bothers you this much maybe you should just move on? Lots of us out here just play the game regularly and have fun doing it. When I get tired of it, I play other games for a bit, then I come back when I feel like playing it again. That's how like 99% of people interact with Overwatch.

The only way that "99% of people interact with OW" is by uninstalling it. Of course, that's a bit of an exaggeration, but often that's what the social tab graveyard of people who never play the game anymore makes it feel like.

You said it yourself, you have a group of friends who think "$15-20 is perfectly normal and acceptable for a skin" who buy their skin, play the game for a couple of hours, then don't play it again for weeks or months. They don't, and have never given a poo poo about the PvE, so the whole issue of a fake relaunch while Blizzard was secretly simply stripping down the game and gutting the remainder of the design team that had not already left the company in the last 3-4 years is of no great concern. Meanwhile, 99% of the other people who used to play the game as a main game, or every other day, or all afternoon on the weekends are gone. The content creators are gone. The OWL is (most likely) gone, but it was already at the point where no one really cared.

You are coping pretty hard, friend, and I think that you don't quite realize that your "99%" means "99% of the 1% of people that didn't abandon the game at this point."

That would be pretty problematic, if the 1% that still play the game didn't go "HOLY poo poo, KIRIKO SKIN, SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET" every few weeks.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I play a lot of OW, but only casually. I have spent money on Battlepasses, but usually only when there's a mythic I want, and I justify it to myself by saying that I'm getting multiple skins for that price (which is true, but it's a cop-out). I am also sad about PvE dying, but I'm starting to think that it was a misstep to begin with, and they should have concentrated on having high-quality Archives events every year, maybe using them to experiment with hero progression.

I think skins are too loving expensive. They should be :tenbux: at max, 5 for most of them.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I would buy one of those skins for $5 or $10, never for 20

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Another random rant on the subject of skins came to mind, actually

I think my spending on this game thus far has been as such:

2? Maybe it was 3 free BPs to start it off with since I opted into the beta for the 30 bucks or whatever. Then I think I bought one BP. Now I have a bunch of premium credits that I got for free with my 4090 purchase some months back that I haven't used because I haven't been playing the last few seasons more than 3 or 4 hours, so i've been skipping. This season had a skin that I thought was cool enough that I was considering spending some of those credits just sitting on my account. The Zen skin with floating ducks instead of orbs.

It's not a legendary quality skin, so it's probably cheaper. I am a fan of rubber ducks. I haven't bought a battle pass in months, might as well grab it, right?

Wrong. I can't buy it. For whatever dumbfuck reason, you can't even purchase the skins you want at any given time because there is some weird 'shop rotation', that I guess is supposed to make players feel a sense of urgency or FOMO and bully them into purchasing skins they truly want as to not miss the opportunity.

As a result, I no longer want the Zen skin, in this dead game that I usually have disdain for, that I would have probably just said "gently caress it" to and bought anyways.

So, go figure that one out.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

I spent 60 bucks on OW1. That was a more than fair price for all the fun I got out of it. I would have done it again for OW2, even 70.

Passes? Skins? 'Shops'? Suuuuuuuuck my nuts, have not and will not spend a dime, not encouraging that poo poo. Also I get why the companies do it, because marks and suckers will pay, so I hate those people even more than the company for making this nonsense so pervasive.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

You can hardly even see most skins in game or appreciate them, and there is always a free one that makes me laugh in the spawn room.

Who cares if some people with no responsibilities pay $70 for a bunch of kpop skins? Good for them and good for blizzardactivisionmicrosoft investors and good for keeping the servers on.

I hope these mega companies eventually get to a subscription model more like spotify, where you pay $X a month for all their online games to keep the servers on and play whatever you want and there isn't this obsession with new content in individual games.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

headcase posted:

Who cares if some people with no responsibilities pay $70 for a bunch of kpop skins?

BabyRyoga cares enough for all of us.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

BabyRyoga posted:

The only way that "99% of people interact with OW" is by uninstalling it. Of course, that's a bit of an exaggeration, but often that's what the social tab graveyard of people who never play the game anymore makes it feel like.

You said it yourself, you have a group of friends who think "$15-20 is perfectly normal and acceptable for a skin" who buy their skin, play the game for a couple of hours, then don't play it again for weeks or months. They don't, and have never given a poo poo about the PvE, so the whole issue of a fake relaunch while Blizzard was secretly simply stripping down the game and gutting the remainder of the design team that had not already left the company in the last 3-4 years is of no great concern. Meanwhile, 99% of the other people who used to play the game as a main game, or every other day, or all afternoon on the weekends are gone. The content creators are gone. The OWL is (most likely) gone, but it was already at the point where no one really cared.

You are coping pretty hard, friend, and I think that you don't quite realize that your "99%" means "99% of the 1% of people that didn't abandon the game at this point."

That would be pretty problematic, if the 1% that still play the game didn't go "HOLY poo poo, KIRIKO SKIN, SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET" every few weeks.

Ah yes, I'm "coping" by having fun and enjoying my time engaging with others who are having fun. What a terrible thing to do I know.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

toadee posted:

To most people $15-20 is perfectly normal and acceptable for a skin.
I don't believe you

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

LazyMaybe posted:

I don't believe you

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

LazyMaybe posted:

I don't believe you

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

PantsBandit posted:

BabyRyoga cares enough for all of us.

Just looking out for you, buddy

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

dogstile posted:

The only person I know that still play's is chronically addicted to playing and complaining about it.

Everyone else uninstalled either after the first season of "OW2" or after the pve cancellation and now only really keep up with it every now and again to laugh at it.
The rudimentary-at-best design of Bride of Junkenstein and the total lack of adjustments to legacy PvE material after a massive balance overhaul were a trip, but nothing can compare to the devs casually dropping the news that PvE was effectively cancelled when Jeff K left a few years back and they forgot to tell us.

That was like Wildstar levels of contempt for your player base.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
no twenty dollar skin can hold a candle to trainhardt

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I just want to play circa 2018 OW with a balancing engine that tweaks 5 key stats for each character every character in the top 3 and bottom 3 pick rate. It tweaks them weekly at like a 1% rate of change until they come in line with other characters. No new content. No devs except bug fixes.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

toadee posted:

Ah yes, I'm "coping" by having fun and enjoying my time engaging with others who are having fun. What a terrible thing to do I know.

funniest fuckin’ post I’ve ever read about OW2

Javik the Seer
Oct 11, 2021

Rawrbomb posted:

Demand? No, but I'd really like to understand why they don't like flashpoint. I've had some luck turning some people around on it, once I understood their complaints and helped to reframe them. Will that work for everyone? No, but I enjoy the crap out of this game, and want to see others find that same joy that I do.

I'd argue that Flashpoint is pretty close to control, except that you move around the map, instead of being moved to an entirely new capture point on the map. The in-between rounds, are now moving between the capture points on the map. This is all the core gameplay mechanics, so what is there to dislike? I find that the little moment to moment fights while moving to the new capture point are equally interesting, not to mention random fights around the map.

I was initially a little frustrated with Flashpoints, but I found that mostly down to be not understanding the map. After playing more, and spending time exploring the maps a little, I don't have that same frustration.

A lot like push, you need some time to get used to the new game mode. You can tell they got a lot of good data back from Flashpoints from that mini event we did back in season 5 with the infinite empire. Because that was clearly a template for flashpoints, they found that random first location was really horrible and standardized it into what we have now.

I also originally disliked push, for much of the same reasons, not being familiar with the maps.

Isn't that what I said previously? You get an assembly phase, followed by a setup phase. Unless you have a potato of a computer, you should have picked a character before the map even let you move around. Also, in your scenario of spawning on the point, are we allowing them to change heros until the game starts? I am guessing you want a closer spawn room.

I would argue that allowing the team to move to the point after spawning in, instead of teleporting them directly to it is overall a positive thing. If you only spawned into that area and you are new to the map, you don't know where your spawn is, how long it takes to run back from it, or what things are behind/around you that might be useful: eg cover, health packs, etc. Do you always spawn into the point when defending after the initial spawn? What about when they take a point? I don't think its bad per-say, I just think it would introduce more potential problems and confusions than it solves right now. Maybe we'll see more on this front as they have added QOL things recently, like grouped respawns for QP. It makes it a lot easier to regroup after in game modes that support this.

Flashpoint games don't last any longer in my experience than any other game mode can. What's "takes forever" for you? New players on new maps in new game modes are just like launch OW, no one knows wtf is going on.

The point isn't about having potato computers its that they are creating loss scenarios where one doesn't need to exist. I"m still struggling to see what the downside is to allowing folks to select characters and spawn on the point so long as the attacker doors haven't opened. More times than I would like to think, but it does happen, someone makes some character selections, then they see the attackers and want to change OR they feel a different comp would work better after some discussion, they gotta run aaaalll the way back and spawn and run aaaaalll the way to defend again. ITs silly. Just cut that out and let us get right to the fun in a more fair and accessible way.

A lot of the things folks talk about in this thread, on the blizz forums, reddit, whatever are small changes that they could actually test and try out. They just refuse to do it and its maddening to me. I think this is at the core of the Activision/Blizzard rot. They have (or had) the ability to do small QoL changes, experiment, be flexible and revert what doesn't work and playtest stuff.

But they, like your arguments, seem to have just folded their arms and said "eh, thats too much effort, lets just keep it this lovely way and just charge folks for the privilege". Its dumb and frustrating because its whats killing their IP over and over again. Just an absolute refusal to be proactive and responsive to changes in the industry and what folks want. I know this is just a discussion on the stupid spawn thing, but its also pervasive throughout the entire game design of both this and their others, and its killing what could otherwise be a lot of fun and future focused IP's.

Javik the Seer
Oct 11, 2021
Also lmao at the apologetics for "normal $20 skins". Get outta town, YOU'RE the problem with what I posted above. Stop giving them money for no effort imo. Its all become normalized because of your actions.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

I hate it too but they're also correct; the average consumer is perfectly fine dropping $20 on a skin, otherwise this wouldn't be the gaming mtx meta in the first place.

Edit: I do agree the defender spawn is annoying, although I also know it's so players can learn the map route. I wouldn't be against a QoL feature similar to how you can swap spawns for a limited time to let defenders have a second to, say, shoo their cat off the desk before the match begins while not actively hamstringing their entire team

novaSphere fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Nov 2, 2023

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Reasonably priced cosmetic DLC for a F2P game seems like a pipedream tbh. You can criticize and complain, but just realize you're screaming into a void and not changing any minds.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

novaSphere posted:

I hate it too but they're also correct; the average consumer is perfectly fine dropping $20 on a skin, otherwise this wouldn't be the gaming mtx meta in the first place.

Edit: I do agree the defender spawn is annoying, although I also know it's so players can learn the map route. I wouldn't be against a QoL feature similar to how you can swap spawns for a limited time to let defenders have a second to, say, shoo their cat off the desk before the match begins while not actively hamstringing their entire team

Catering to the whales is what drives the meta, not the average consumer. That's neither here nor there, though. Problem still exists, won't go away any time soon.

15/20 people are going to refuse to ever buy any skin. 4/20 might buy one they really like every once in a while. 1/20 will just go ham and buy everything on the store the second it is available.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Heh 4/20

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Instead of giving $20 to a mega corporation for a bit of code you will forget you own in one week,

Give *me* $20 and I will buy myself lunch.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

novaSphere posted:

You're working under a false assumption.

F2P games aren't monetized to milk the average consumer anymore because the corporation ghouls have figured out that you can get much better profits if you jack up the prices and siphon larger amount of cash off fewer people with more money than sense and/or people with gambling problems.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Jack Trades posted:

You're working under a false assumption.

F2P games aren't monetized to milk the average consumer anymore because the corporation ghouls have figured out that you can get much better profits if you jack up the prices and siphon larger amount of cash off fewer people with more money than sense and/or people with gambling problems.

So let them pay for the game I play for free sometimes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

headcase posted:

So let them pay for the game I play for free sometimes?

Yes let corporations exploit other people as long as I can enjoy my significantly shittier product for "free".