Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I was doing some more modelling yesterday

This guy is gonna be my Biophagus

This guy... I dunno what he'll be. Probably a brood brother squad made up of randoms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Shoehead posted:

I was doing some more modelling yesterday

This guy is gonna be my Biophagus

This guy... I dunno what he'll be. Probably a brood brother squad made up of randoms

I love these weird little guys

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The second guy looks like a good starter for a Necromunda gang if you ask me. There's something Cawdor about him.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
They bumped up the Carnifex boxed set from $90 to $100 american and it still hasn't come back in stock for a year :negative:

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Archenteron posted:

They bumped up the Carnifex boxed set from $90 to $100 american and it still hasn't come back in stock for a year :negative:

supply and demand

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Man, you'd think auspex tactics of all people would support gw changing their website into a sterile power point presentation format.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Eediot Jedi posted:

Man, you'd think auspex tactics of all people would support gw changing their website into a sterile power point presentation format.

it'd need a dull text to speech reading the whole page out to you

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

This new site is unfortunate.

But now you can order Forge World with free in-store delivery.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I now see the light, i have bought a drill to make gun holes.

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Dude... Did my plushie just talk?
I went to the store site yesterday to find recommended colors and was disappointed to see that they had removed them. Luckily the citadel color app still has them so I was able to look them up there.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Am I out of the loop or have they snuck on a price increase with the new site? Age of Darkness box launched at $299 and is now listed at $310.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Super Waffle posted:

Am I out of the loop or have they snuck on a price increase with the new site? Age of Darkness box launched at $299 and is now listed at $310.

I've had my eye on the Necromunda Rogue Doc from FW and it looks like its €6 dearer

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I don't remember when it was, but there was a price increase not that long after the AoD box dropped. It launched at $300 and got increased to $310. All I know is it's not new with the site change.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

When using Tank Shock on a vehicle with a melee weapon that has multiple profiles, like a Dreadknight Greatsword, how do you determine which Strength to use? Do you just pick the bigger number because why would you not?

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

rantmo posted:

When using Tank Shock on a vehicle with a melee weapon that has multiple profiles, like a Dreadknight Greatsword, how do you determine which Strength to use? Do you just pick the bigger number because why would you not?

It says "select one melee weapon", and when you select a melee weapon with different profiles you select the profile you want to use...so, yeah.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Got my first new models in years yesterday in the mail. Indomitus box Necron half. The variety in selection and units have changed so much in the decade since I last played.

However they will have to wait. My old army needs to get paint on it first. Got about 60 models that need to be painted first (mostly warriors, flayed ones, and destroyers). Hopefully for once I’ll actually get this done and play again.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Al-Saqr posted:

Hell yes brother. Soon you will be addicted to getting a good hole. You will long for it. It becomes so…satisfying. Especially when you do a cross drill on the bolters with the extra holes and they line up perfectly.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Al-Saqr posted:

Thank god.

I actually use an electric drill next to my fingers.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Hive Fleet Draugr Norn Emissary

It took like a month, but I completed my Norn Emissary.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm just going to reiterate:

1) Draw a pencil X on the barrel to find the middle.
2) Lightly spin an X-acto in the middle to get your pilot hole.
3) Drill.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

OgreNoah posted:

nice brains

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
While we're talking about drilling, is there a good guide for magnetizing minis? Like, how deep should I go for a 1mmx3mm magnet and how best to make sure I don't gently caress up polarity?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

While we're talking about drilling, is there a good guide for magnetizing minis? Like, how deep should I go for a 1mmx3mm magnet and how best to make sure I don't gently caress up polarity?

About 1mm. Drill less than you think you need, do a dry fit check, then drill a little more if necessary.

Glue a magnet to a container or paint rack or something else mostly immobile. Mark the top of that magnet with a permanent marker. That magnet is now correctly marked, and you can use it to know how to mark all of your other magnets.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
So, is the magnet crowned, flush, or below flush? I tried it with the power klaw on my nob and the arm fell off with the magnet crowned.

I guess it might also be that the magnets aren't strong enough.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Magnets that seem incredibly strong can feel much weaker once the leverage of an arm or weapon is added, and it catches a lot of people who try the magnetization route by surprise

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

So, is the magnet crowned, flush, or below flush? I tried it with the power klaw on my nob and the arm fell off with the magnet crowned.

Ideally it should be flush enough to directly touch the other magnet without sticking out

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I'm no engineer or physicist so I don't know the right terms for all this stuff but magnets are held together by a directional force (along the axis of the magnets?) and nothing else which means on something like an arm joint where gravity is exerting shear(?) force on the magnets they won't feel anywhere near as secure once weight is added unlike a tank turret where the magnets are in line with gravity. Having the magnets flush means you get at least some friction from plastic on plastic which will reduce wacky swiveling arms a little bit.

If you double stack magnets that will make arms stick better (I did this for my Forgefiend no prob) but you still get freely spinning arms. I've been told that two magnets spaced apart provides enough resistance to rotation at the expense of, well, not being able to rotate it.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Flush. When I'm magnetizing something that isn't in line with gravity, I usually try to double stack the magnets or add a second magnet if there's enough surface area.

For polarity, one of my magnet sets came with a lightly magnetic bar that's used for placing them...I marked the polarity of each side and use that as my reference.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Flush, but depending on the joint/material, slightly below flush is perfectly fine if you end up drilling a little too deep. You want the plastic on plastic contact friction to keep the joints from moving around, generally speaking.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

If you go too deep just pop a little greenstuff in there.

More importantly decide on which direction you want your polarity that way you can stay consistent.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

OgreNoah posted:

Albino 'Nids? Very interesting. I like it!

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

The Demilich posted:

If you go too deep just pop a little greenstuff in there.

*More importantly decide on which direction you want your polarity that way you can stay consistent.*

This x1000. What I did with my Tau magnets was to mark one end of my stack of magnets with a marker and then wrote down directly on the instructions "orange out on suits--orange in on weapons/systems" and then the second you take a magnet off, mark the next magnet. Worked out pretty well but there's one Ghostkeel weapon that didn't really take to the magnets that well.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I've decided to dive into 10th with a Sisters of Battle army.

I have old stuff from over a decade ago that is all metal, does the old models fit in well with the new ones or should I just burn a bunch of money getting entirely new stuff.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

You're gonna burn a bunch of money by just being in the hobby either way, so follow your heart.

But also, keep your metal models and play with them in your new army.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Keep the metal models and use them and paint them and also buy new stuff. Perhaps down the line you'll decide you want more updated sculpts of whatever metal models you have from the past and/or decide you want the new models to paint them after your painting skills have improved (not a value judgement on your current painting, but everyone is always improving their painting IMO).

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

My metal models are painted very terrible, I suppose I could strip them and practice painting again, its been quite a bit!

VVV I saw that and already ordered like 100 32mm bases from Etsy, only need like 30 but whatever.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 2, 2023

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
A big thing is that modern sisters are on 32mm

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The new sisters are mostly incompatible with the old ones. They're very much primaris'd.

It's not too bad if you use them in different squads, but the scale creep is worse here than with old/new Necromunda.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

BadLlama posted:

I've decided to dive into 10th with a Sisters of Battle army.

I have old stuff from over a decade ago that is all metal, does the old models fit in well with the new ones or should I just burn a bunch of money getting entirely new stuff.

The overall style of the range is the same, but as mentioned above the new Sisters are noticeably larger. If you keep them all in separate squads and don't try to mingle them it is ok, but it's still apparent. It's not any worse than mixing old and new orks, although that has an in-universe explanation for the variety you can lean on. You can either live with this or try to compensate but giving your old models some sort of height boost in basing. Maybe your Order is having a 'bring your daughters to work day'

Example of how the old and new models compare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Definite improvement though