Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
in elden ring is it feasible to kill the tree sentinal right off the bat or should I stop trying. I heard it's easier if you start the fight riding a mount. I will never give up either way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

R.L. Stine posted:

in elden ring is it feasible to kill the tree sentinal right off the bat or should I stop trying. I heard it's easier if you start the fight riding a mount. I will never give up either way

You could always cheese him with a ranged weapon while standing on top of a big ruined building.

Gwely Mernans
Jun 30, 2017
You can beat anything in the Souls games whenever you want with the right strategies and enough perseverance. Probably not worth it in ER unless you want bragging rights though imo

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

he holds a special place in my heart because I was scared of everything when I aggroed him and he hit me so hard my soul almost left my body IRL

he also isn't a cheating bitch like Agheel

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

R.L. Stine posted:

you can beat the whole game at level 1 if you get good enough at dodging and parrying
but yeah that boss is very explicitly tuned to kick your rear end until you come back later with more levels and gear. it's trying to teach you through the school of hard knocks that this is an open world and you can just leave and go somewhere else

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
That one tyler the creator tweet except replace "cyberbullying" with "dying to the tree sentinel"

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

im playing halo 1 through the Master Chef Collection and the game still holds up really well but the remastered graphics are often uglier than the original graphics

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
yeah I got major "you aren't supposed to actually kill this thing yet" vibes right away but I'm learning attack patterns. he's got a lot of reach tho. Game owns, can't believe I went this long before trying. er is my first souls game. Maybe I should have started with a more linear one but I'm having a lot of fun.

Any way is it an unpopular opinion that river city girls is better than any other river city game? It's so good. I played NES OG river city ransom nearly every day

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I'm with you buddy, I picked it up 2 weeks ago, my first souls game too, and I've got over 100 hours in it already. Been a long time since I found a game I'm willing to sacrifice sleep for.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That boss simply was not in my path until 40 hours into the game when I finally decided I'd go check out what the intended path might've looked like. He was a chump, barely noticed a fight.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
this 30 second clip featuring scottish comedian Limmy is the best thing to come out of Elden Ring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-IFlht_flE

and this ones a close second

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-NY0qFk5gU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Waluigi is the best Nintendo character

This isn't the videogame facts thread.

R.L. Stine posted:

It's not that hard to get the sentinel's moveset dialed in, but if you're doing it at level one it will take forever and the margin of error is super slim since he'll kill you in one or two hits. I'd wait until you get a few levels on your weapon, personally. There's not much reason to kill him right off the bat unless you want to use his halberd, which tbf is a pretty good reason.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Nov 2, 2023

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

R.L. Stine posted:

Any way is it an unpopular opinion that river city girls is better than any other river city game? It's so good. I played NES OG river city ransom nearly every day
I think that's one of those "the adults over 25 who openly love it may not be the adults you want repping you" things. Not saying it's fair, just saying it is.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

R.L. Stine posted:

It was just mid, IMO. Great aesthetic and some fun ideas, but the core combat never really hit the spot for me, even after getting almost all the upgrades/moves. Just felt shallow beginning to end. Boss fights were also super tepid. Has anyone played the sequel? I'm wondering if they changed anything substantial.

My favorite old-school revival beat em up is still Fightin' Rage, a passion project by a single Brazilian dude. Don't be put off by the horny art assets, it's pure beat em up perfection.

Modal Auxiliary fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 2, 2023

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
What I'm seeing doesnt even begin to be "horny", it just looks clean visually imo

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Reoxygenation posted:

What I'm seeing doesnt even begin to be "horny", it just looks clean visually imo

the lady fighter's character select portrait is her doing a high kick so you can see up her skirt

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
I stand corrected

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

I'd rate it 2/10 on horniêrs scale. Barely registers.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

the lady fighter's character select portrait is her doing a high kick so you can see up her skirt

Just tattling on yourself calling this mundane high kick pose a horny

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Modal Auxiliary posted:

It was just mid, IMO. Great aesthetic and some fun ideas, but the core combat never really hit the spot for me, even after getting almost all the upgrades/moves. Just felt shallow beginning to end. Boss fights were also super tepid. Has anyone played the sequel? I'm wondering if they changed anything substantial.

My favorite old-school revival beat em up is still Fightin' Rage, a passion project by a single Brazilian dude. Don't be put off by the horny art assets, it's pure beat em up perfection.

But you repeat yourself.

It does look pretty fun, I'll have to check it out.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
Did anybody try Cities Skylines 2 and if so how is it? I kind of want to try it but it also looks like more of the same and is getting mixed feedback so idk

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

WHY IS IT SO HARD TO FIND TURTLES IN THIS GAME OMG

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

also these giant foxes? They need to suck my rear end in a top hat

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

he holds a special place in my heart because I was scared of everything when I aggroed him and he hit me so hard my soul almost left my body IRL

he also isn't a cheating bitch like Agheel

I still remember the first time I didn't get instantly nuked by Agheel and managed to do a good bit of damage to him, he flew too far away and despawned. And then I was like "Huh, that's weird. Guess I'll go somewhere else." But then like three seconds later as I was going to explore the ravine I passed while fighting him, he respawned and set my rear end on fire.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

also these giant foxes? They need to suck my rear end in a top hat

Too much horny posting itt

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

JollyBoyJohn posted:

this 30 second clip featuring scottish comedian Limmy is the best thing to come out of Elden Ring

Limmy and Sekiro is amazing too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=figArXQYKao

Caesar Saladin fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Nov 3, 2023

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

found the turtles but there's no killing the PCP Elemental disguised as a giant fox, that poo poo is ridiculous

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

all you gotta do is believe in yourself

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Super Mario Wonder doesnt allow you to put run on a shoulder button so it loses an entire point for that, 8 out of 10

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I found the best way is to just dodge its attacks and then hit it

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Elden ring is so good

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

found the turtles but there's no killing the PCP Elemental disguised as a giant fox, that poo poo is ridiculous

dont give up, skeleton

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Eh. Elden Ring was really fun at the time when I played it but after I was done, I just kept thinking, okay well what else? Tried a few different things but couldn't even get the drat thing out my computer screen. It's basically just a toy that only works if the power is on.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i don't really understand what that post means

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Khanstant is in the process of figuring some poo poo out.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Apropos of nothing, recently figured out Aliens vs Predator 2 (2001) is abandonware and free to download at: https://avpunknown.com/avp2aio/. Works great.

Download the installer (iso or exe) and the master server patch:

Install the game, the 1.0.9.6 patch, and the maps (includes singleplayer fixes):

Then the master server patch:

And bingo bango your goony rear end is playing AvP2.

I even got a server named "VicServer" going, so feel free to hop on, it's for you. I had a game with 9 randos going yesterday. I set it up so Predator is completely invisible when not moving, people were blindfiring miniguns and quoting the movies. It was amazing.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Vic posted:

Apropos of nothing, recently figured out Aliens vs Predator 2 (2001) is abandonware and free to download at: https://avpunknown.com/avp2aio/. Works great.

Do you post in the Early FPS Megathread? You should.

edit: Your last post was two years ago. You should post more.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Nov 3, 2023

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

No, but good idea I'll let them know too.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Khanstant posted:

Eh. Elden Ring was really fun at the time when I played it but after I was done, I just kept thinking, okay well what else? Tried a few different things but couldn't even get the drat thing out my computer screen. It's basically just a toy that only works if the power is on.

Yesterday I had some spaghetti for dinner and after I was done I was looking at my empty plate like “ummm ok? Anything else?” Tried licking up the remnants of sauce and parmesan. Waiting for a meatball dlc maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

fridge corn posted:

Elden ring is so good

it's the kind of game I've been waiting my whole life for lol. Open world, huge, no hand-holding, no cramming story down your throat every 5 minutes, no 'here's a boring tutorial where you fight a couple of rats or maybe wolves, now explore this gigantic rear end town and talk to every single person in it even though you're not invested in anything' (looking at you, Pillars of Eternity, Divinity: Original Sin 2, and probably dozens of other RPGs I was smart enough to pass on)

I do have a few complaints though. Rewards for exploring are mostly of no use. I have dozens of spirit ashes I'm never going to use and I'm still finding more constantly. Ashes of war are probably even worse for that. Can't try out most weapons I find, because I don't meet the requirements for their optimal use, and I don't know how conservative I need to be with larval tears and smithing stones so experimentation is daunting.

There's also too much you need to do in battle that you can't do quickly. Trying to run a circle around an enemy that has just pulverized one of my kidneys and inflicted poison while curing myself, downing a health flask and then realizing that I should hit a blue flask too is a nightmare of button pressing that would be doable if I had four hands but with only two it's probably just gonna get me killed or make me have to roll so far away from the enemy that it totally breaks the flow of combat. If I see an opportunity to wipe out a bunch of yard trash with an AoE I need to stop two-handing my main weapon, select the proper incantation, take the shot, and two-hand my weapon again, all while constantly staying on the move and rolling as needed. And that's assuming that the opportunity doesn't slip away in an instant, which it often does.

These are minor complaints though, and I know some of it is build choice and/or skill issue. The game is magic.

edit: forgot to add

QuarkJets posted:

dont give up, skeleton

your cryptic comments are making me think I'm on the road to a bad ending or something :saddowns:

William Henry Hairytaint fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Nov 3, 2023