Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Kokoro Wish posted:

So what I'm hearing about Alan Wake 2 is that it's the Bloober Team level of follow up.

So it turns out he actually killed his wife the whole time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

There are a couple transitions in AW2 that are so well-done that you don't really notice the switch.

I will say any time they focus on Alan's face I find it SUPER obvious. Real Alan and CG Alan look like different characters half the time.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
silent hill 4 isn't good exactly but i'm not going to blame the team for it because konami didn't really provide conditions for developers to make normal video games and that only got worse and worse the deeper into the 2000s they got. if you actually look at their ps2 lineup it's obvious they're rushing and cheaping out way harder than studios like capcom, and i like most of konami's ps2 output

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
my favorite insane story of konami horrifically mismanaging game projects in the ps2 era was how tokimeki memorial 2 was like, ultra big money poo poo, one of the biggest releases on the ps1, one of the biggest technical marvels of the system, came out on four discs cause it had so much unique high quality art and sound assets and an attempt at an ambitious childhood prologue chapter with 2.5d isometric free roaming gameplay, had a lot of weird mechanical ideas and features totally unique to it that no other game has ever done before or since, had an incredibly beloved cast of characters for their bizarre, comical and varied designs and personalities.

2001 comes out and konami tries to crowdfund tokimeki memorial 3. they literally opened a tokimeki memorial 3 fund where literally anyone could invest money in the development of tokimeki memorial 3. this gave you real full-rear end investor status and they knew everyone would be tossing their money into that tokimeki memorial 3 pile to get a cut of the game's sales, there was no way it couldn't sell. tokimeki memorial 3 comes out and it is the cheapest, ugliest, most poorly made game in the series and no one buys it, it uses a really ugly 3d art style nobody likes, none of the characters are funny or interesting and it is all around a worse game than all of its competition, the mainline series dies for eight years

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Gonna be honest that sounds like they're running the exact scam from The Producers

https://youtu.be/kJenz1R9dHI?si=xxE7l1MvGondO92U

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

AnEdgelord posted:

Gonna be honest that sounds like they're running the exact scam from The Producers

If only! We won't get dancing singing gay Hitler from this one.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
you can at least watch metal gear solid: the movie in it. only because kojipro made the spinoff vns for the ps1 games and put that in one of them though

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

:allears: I'm still excited for the fact that the SH2 remake might somehow be even worse than this clusterfuck.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Imo part of the reason why the earlier Silent Hills work is because you are fighting through manifestations of a traumatic backstory but it's usually someone's else's story. In 1 Harry was pushing through Alessa's nightmare, in 2 you had James all personally hosed up but also seeing other people's "towns", and in 4 you were going from place to place as a poor schmuck with the worst landlord in the world. Even 3, which entirely revolves around Heather and her relationship to the Cult, largely has monsters and themes that are symbolic of stuff that most teen girls are afraid of, such as sexual assault and pregnancy.

After the series got exported they started to focus a lot more on a singular main character and therefore the *trauma* had to come from the protagonist, but you can't just make them a bad guy or the player won't sympathize with them so they do the SH2 twist every time.

That's one thing I liked about Homecoming, it went back to the idea of the main character going through other people's hells along with his own.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i believe in bloober, to make a bad game that sadly wont even have rutger hauer in it for me to listen to and think, hey that's rutger hauer

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Despite no lack of trying nobody has made a good Silent Hill game in nearly 20 years, so anything else that happens to it is now funny, instead of sad.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

CuddleCryptid posted:

Imo part of the reason why the earlier Silent Hills work is because you are fighting through manifestations of a traumatic backstory but it's usually someone's else's story. In 1 Harry was pushing through Alessa's nightmare, in 2 you had James all personally hosed up but also seeing other people's "towns", and in 4 you were going from place to place as a poor schmuck with the worst landlord in the world. Even 3, which entirely revolves around Heather and her relationship to the Cult, largely has monsters and themes that are symbolic of stuff that most teen girls are afraid of, such as sexual assault and pregnancy.

After the series got exported they started to focus a lot more on a singular main character and therefore the *trauma* had to come from the protagonist, but you can't just make them a bad guy or the player won't sympathize with them so they do the SH2 twist every time.

That's one thing I liked about Homecoming, it went back to the idea of the main character going through other people's hells along with his own.

i mean the thing with the original silent hill games is that they're just more empathetic in general. it doesn't need to specifically be about other characters it just needs to be interested in what the problems it's talking about are and how they effect the people who are struggling with them. silent hill 2 has james and eddie, who it's a bit more critical of as people, but it also has angela who is just, kind of a tragic person the game has no harsh words for. it presents her situation as what it is: a very horrible thing that happened to someone, and who without anyone to help them is just kind of living with the fact that this happened to them, struggling to figure out how to move forward when it doesn't feel like she was given a life to live to begin with. out of all the ps2 games sh2 is like, the only one where the center character is someone whose pain is a result of their own mistake, and even then the game isn't exactly about that, james isn't a monster, he's a pathetic person but the fundamental horror and where all of his trauma is rooted in is the pain and suffering of someone he did care about, pain and suffering he was powerless to stop, how that powerlessness and desperation and self-hatred pushed him to do something he could never possibly forgive himself for because in that desperate moment he genuinely thought it was the only way he could ease her suffering, and the game explores both of their pain in that moment in fairly equal measure. none of the games that try repeating silent hill 2's core idea fundamentally recreate the specific depth and nuance silent hill 2 managed to carry with it, they only focus on the fact that you are playing a sad man, who did a bad thing, and he feels bad about it, and either you Redeem Man or you do the bad man things and Doom Man.

add onto this the fact that, silent hill 3 as a game was very aware of the nature of 1 and 2's protagonists and that it couldn't just repeat Weird Guy In Horror Town again and it would be a very smart idea to get a bit more varied and interesting with what kinds of characters the series features at the lead, and then every game afterwards is... about Weird Guy In Horror Town.

exquisite tea posted:

Despite no lack of trying nobody has made a good Silent Hill game in nearly 20 years, so anything else that happens to it is now funny, instead of sad.

i think fundamentally nobody has had to because the ideas of silent hill disseminated into the wider horror game genre anyway so it's easy enough to make something borrowing its ideas without tethering yourself to an infamously awful company to work for. rule of rose came out just a couple years after silent hill 4 and was already a game that, for all its design problems, i'd say largely carries the spirit of what i'd want out of silent hill while carving out its own identity. silent hill can't be a mega franchise like resident evil, the defining parts of it are too specific while the parts that are "easy" to pull on to make More Content really just aren't, and konami's continued failed attempts to pull that kind of franchise identity out of it are kind of a sign of that

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Tbqh, and it’s been said in this very thread multiple times, the championing of SH2 as a literary text was largely (though not wholly) a revisionist project, developed well after it came out. Idek if the ppl who made the sequels immediately proceeding from it put it on a pedestal in any extraordinary way, though I think it’s p clear that its reputation had been established by the time Sam Barlow came into the mix.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i dont think homecoming put 2 on a massive pedestal but it absolutely tried to rip off its twist in the middle of clumsily threading the cult of samael into an absurd plot mess

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

It's me, the Shatmemz apologist

It owned

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Meowywitch posted:

It owned

it was one of the most unintentionally funny games I've ever played so it has that going for it in my book

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there are funny ideas in shattered memories but the game is way too obsessed with the standard tack of thinking its deep psychological analysis system is actually good at psychoanalyzing and that it can form a coherent story out of what is effectively a cheap party trick with no room for nuance or emotional depth. it's ok if you view it as the goofy one off gimmick it is but, it's the quintessential example of silent hill games losing track of basic storytelling. and it's weird that in this alternate universe where none of the hosed up silent hill 1 things happened sam barlow still associates lisa garland with drugs even though lisa garland's drug habit was a result of her being manipulated by an abuser

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

c-list straight to netflix horror in game form and I think there's something to be said for that

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

in far more talented hands shattered memories could've been a compelling prologue story starring a traumatized dahlia getting indoctrinated by kaufmann into the cult over her relationship with her daughter but whatevs I stopped caring about the series a very long time ago, out of a desire to preserve my memories of it more than anything

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Angela’s always been the most noteworthy SH character to me because pound for pound she’s probably the most “guilty” of anyone in the original quadrilogy (killed two people, on her way to kill a third, all immediate family) but the game doesn’t condemn or even really call attention to it. her anguish doesn’t stem from her vengeance so much as being another branch of the same root

there’s a nasty streak of christian vindictiveness in the worse SH-alikes that doesn’t allow for that kind of portrayal. and yes that does include barlow’s crap

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Meowywitch posted:

It owned

I can't account for how scary it was since it was so goofy at times but the chase scenes were at least tense.

I do love it for how goddamn weird Harry is half the time. Perv Harry is just an absolute slimeball and it makes it twice as funny that Heather is recounting her story like that.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Holy gently caress, I just got through that part in Alan Wake 2

Play this game immediately

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Which part

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

If you know, you know

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Mayor Setter.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

victrix posted:

the mortgage closing part yeah that poo poo's intense

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012

Meowywitch posted:

It owned

Same.

Shatmemz is far and away the best western SH game. It does a lot I really like, and while I think it suffers a lot from that 7th gen "morality points" system being applied to a very thin psychoanalysis and dumb wii remote gimmicks, but there's so much cool stuff in there as well. It might not be the same thing as SH 1-4, but I think that's fine. It is its own beast, and that rules.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i dont mind that shattered memories does dumb goofy gimmicky stuff gameplay-wise but i think the actual writing is just kind of tasteless and bland in a way that's more annoying than funny and it would just straight up be better without the forced silent hill connections

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

girl dick energy posted:

Coming 2024: World of World of Horror

I'm trying to think of a mainstream horror series that's a worse mismatch with the concept of having a live, diegetic Twtich chat. At first I was gonna say Fatal Frame, but even that makes more sense if it's a chat that shows up when you pull up your ghost-revealing camera phone or whatever.
A chat-based multiplayer World of Horror game sounds like an absolutely delightful trainwreck.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
I'd note that the environments and enemies of SH Homecoming are also explicitly drawn from other characters than the protagonist.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Enemabag Jones posted:

A chat-based multiplayer World of Horror game sounds like an absolutely delightful trainwreck.

yeah it could be like some true mad science like that twitch pokemon thing

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

victrix posted:

Alan Wake 2, the Bloober Team level of follow up to Alan Wake? No thank you.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Im not a SH2 scholar but I recently rewatched a LP of it and I think the big twist works because nobody is out there to take revenge on James or whatever. He did a bad thing but it only matters to him and the monsters only exist (in his mind or manifested into reality) because he allows it.

Somehow I think Blooper team is going to butcher the story.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Nov 2, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think SH2 is also helped by being a sequel to a game that is a bit more standard. SH1 *is* about the evil cult who ruins the town with their evil god and if you didn't go into SH2 expecting something different then it can be really easy to get hoodwinked by the twist because you're expecting to see Daliah come out of a corner or something.

And then SH3 hookwinks you again because you're expecting a SH2 and get SH1 the direct sequel.

None of the others really play with your expectations, you get exactly what you signed up for, except maybe Shattered Memories.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Meowywitch posted:

It owned

:hai:

shatmemz is a big ol' trainwreck and various ill-considered design decisions such as the story being so deeply "modular" hold it back in a big way, but it's still more interesting than anything else that came after the mainline games. It actually has things to say about processing grief and how our relationships with family and with our own childhood change as we grow up, and that is infinitely more compelling as a base premise than say 0rigins where the pitch is "what if we made a game about a guy who met Alessa for five minutes, and also there's a knock-off pyramid head equivalent."

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

girl dick energy posted:

Coming 2024: World of World of Horror

I'm trying to think of a mainstream horror series that's a worse mismatch with the concept of having a live, diegetic Twtich chat. At first I was gonna say Fatal Frame, but even that makes more sense if it's a chat that shows up when you pull up your ghost-revealing camera phone or whatever.
frankly a fatal frame game where your character has a cellphone camera and is a more 'modern' girl or even a streamer could actually kinda work, itd be interesting contrast with the traditional JP settings and histories

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

copy-pasting baba booey into the stream chat as a ghost chokes the soul out of the fatal frame girl

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also shattered memories is like probably the most sexist video game ever made and projects that onto the player hardcore so i kind of despise it

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I remember saying that a drink helps you relax in the shattered memories q&a at the beginning starts you off as a severe alcoholic, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Endorph posted:

frankly a fatal frame game where your character has a cellphone camera and is a more 'modern' girl or even a streamer could actually kinda work, itd be interesting contrast with the traditional JP settings and histories

I'd be down for a Fatal Frame version of Deadstream https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsl4UF-o76Y