Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

Verdugo posted:

Hopefully we can get a resolution on the main story line before it fizzles out.

Lmao what story line? Oh do you mean running a random number generator at a thesaurus to pastiche together a bunch of spew that says absolutely nothing of value or merit?

The writing is so comically atrocious its like the guy who got booted from that game dev show spin off from IASIP for being a sex pest got a hold of a windows 95 version of the Dilbert Jargonator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
People still want to see the Dreamworks Character get beat up by the Tower Vendors at least

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

The story is terrible all of a sudden? This season had Eris become a Hive God and us going around cosplaying as Hive. Imo the story’s still been good so far

Yeah, I guess we have proof that Lightfall dropped the ball but I think that was mainly because Bungie spread all the answers about the Veil and The Witness across the seasons, when it should have been in the main campaign.

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Nov 2, 2023

editor
Feb 4, 2007

SgtSteel91 posted:

The story is terrible all of a sudden?

all of a sudden?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That wasn't a great decision but I don't think "answers" is the lead motivation of all that many Destiny players. A bad story is bad when a major mission or cutscene happens, which is only a couple of times a season. If they mess up the shooting or looting, which they clearly did, you notice it a lot more and a lot more often

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Light fall loving sucked

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook
I have a hard time referring to it as a story at all. Especially if you compare it to any other modern age game story. Like, I get that somebody at some point said we should put a story in the game and that requirement was met by just using as many 5 dollar words as possible to make it sort of be some ersatz approximation of a story while communicating next to nothing. Every lore card is just a grab bag of tryhard wordsmithing. Id say its all AI driven but it started way before that. The only thing the story as such has done is to help bungie do “we care a lot” drops for certain sexual identities which, great and good. Should be more of that.

But outside of the bullet point narrative arc like “x group is trying to kill earth” its just not there. And attempts to catbox it by coming up with nonsense paragraphs so verbose and hard to make sense of that it might just tire you out enough to give up on understanding its meaning.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
If Destiny's story is difficult for you to make sense of, I think that might be an issue to take up with the various educators you've had in your life.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

To be fair, Sunsetting had made it stupidly difficult to catch up or understand what’s going on year to year

But if you do keep up with it, the Season of the Witch is a great arc for Eris’ story of overcoming trauma and your own personal demons (Shadowkeep), using that experience to help others also suffering from grief and trauma (Season of the Haunted), and now in Season of the Witch the catharsis of taking back your own agency and getting back at those who caused the trauma; e.g. Eris accepting the Hive parts of herself and using the Hive’s own Sword Logic to break them.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

We went to Venus, I think

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Feels like the "destiny" of this game may be taking a turn for the worse

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The plot is usually straightforward. A bad guy shows up and does bad things, do this activity 500 times to charge up a spirit bomb to use on them and listen to the weekly progress updates

The backstory depends on stuff that you have to go look up on youtube, so if you want to know why that particular bad guy showed up or why they hate humanity there is no easy, quick, or in-game way to answer that

The ancillary fluff that doesn't really matter, in the lore cards, is where the really wild impenetrable high concept poo poo tends to live, where it can be safely ignored until a couple of seasons from now when someone posts on raidsecrets about how these excerpts from cards A, B, and C combined with the lore tab from exotics D and E and variant dialog in mission F predicted the entire seasonal storyline

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/Destiny2Team/status/1720146376208871860

No TWAB this week. They dance around it but don't officially announce the TFS delay.

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
from a story perspective I'm excited for the final shape mostly to see how bad the resolution can be

I would like something really wacky but we'll probably get a poo poo non-resolution that doesn't significantly change the world in any way because they don't have the resources to change the tower or patrol spaces
it's also crazy to me that there's been no new enemy race since the scorn who don't matter at all

I was pretty hyped for season of arrivals when the pyramids showed up- crazy to think that was three years ago

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

MJeff posted:

https://twitter.com/Destiny2Team/status/1720146376208871860

No TWAB this week. They dance around it but don't officially announce the TFS delay.

"We know we have lost a lot of your trust. Destiny needs to surprise and delight. We haven’t done this enough and that’s going to change." ... by firing talent. What a great message.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
That whole paragraph is just them saying "Oh it sounds like you guys want us to delay TFS to make it better? I heard someone suggest a delay? Delay is the word everyone is shouting at us? OK well we will take this clear demand from the community into consideration for an upcoming TFS announcement"

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

That we know of, artists and the composers were left go and that’s been set in stone. The people left behind are the devs who could, though understandably doubtful, revamp the gameplay/mechanics/loot and all that

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah that's the statement of a community team that was just reduced to too few people to plan a statement in the 48 hours they had and also there are no concrete production plans they could report either

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<

SgtSteel91 posted:

That we know of, artists and the composers were left go and that’s been set in stone. The people left behind are the devs who could, though understandably doubtful, revamp the gameplay/mechanics/loot and all that

I thought people were posting that actual devs that design stuff for destiny were let go and it wasn’t just those.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
“Destiny’s story is suddenly terrible?”

I mean I’m not down with the idea of saying it was always bad but I have to admit I was dumbfounded that the same team that made The Witch Queen also made Lightfall a year later

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Reminder that all the worst of Destiny writing came from its in-house staff writers, and its best writing came from contracted workers

We may be looking at a new era with some of the best art, music, and game direction now that they can get so much more done with the same dollar

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Basic Poster posted:

They’re-45 because of tech debt and bloat and bad engineering. The gun play is the only redeeming quality and honestly if I were any other organization Id be poaching those devs and just saying goodbye to bungie for good.
Wasn't one of the major advertised selling points of Fallout 4 that they got the guy who designed Destiny's gunplay? It was something I remember hearing about and looking forward to, and then being really disappointed by because it wasn't.

SgtSteel91 posted:

The story is terrible all of a sudden?
Ehh, nitpicking creative writing student here but Destiny is a fantastic example of the difference between storytelling, narrative, worldbuilding and lore.

The lore is great, undisputed. The worldbuilding that delivers that lore is not always up to the task, but is helped greatly by the stellar environment design. The narrative is alright, though propped up to a massive degree by the lore.

The storytelling (as in the method by which all of those things are experienced by the player) is hot dogshit though. Particularly this season, where a major plot development is referred to in an optional text file and in audio messages, but not seen onscreen even though they comissioned a cutscene that showed us everything leading up to it.

Season of the Haunted had the thing you were literally handing your rep to - the crown - lifted from content which is not only vaulted and most people never played, but barely anyone completed when it was available. Calus and Caitl both referred to the events on the Glykon during seasons where Presage was not in the game. And there are also questions like why did we not smash Eramis with hammers or push her off the edge or at the very least put her into a deep freeze vault somewhere safe?

Things the player should experience in game are related via cutscene, audio message or lore text. I suspect because it's easier to add a text log or pay a VA for the afternoon than it is to pay an entire team to unravel the spaghetti code enough to script it in engine without accidentally granting Telesto sentience. Go read the armour lore for Spire, and tell me that shouldn't have been a mission you were there for.

Destiny is terrible at 'Show, don't tell,' a fairly basic rule of storytelling. I'm pretty sure whoever taught them that rule got the words the wrong way round on the board and never noticed, because they do it all the time.

There are a TON of cool things that are supposed to have happened, but you only find out because Zavala tells you while you're doing something else. Characters like Ikora who you are told are immensely powerful, but at best you get 2 cutscenes where she displays the same power as a new light with void unlocked. You are told that Nimbus is cool and we all love them, but the community reaction was definitely not that - mostly because we were told it but nobody felt that it was their experience interacting with them.

This all probably reached a head with the stuff about the veil in Lightfall (which they've now explained, but everyone seems to hate the explanation). Like so many other things in-universe, everyone acts like they know what it is, your character's motivation relies on you understanding what it is, but at no point do any of the characters impart that on you or do you ask "you, what the gently caress is a veil."

My feeling is that everyone at Bungie knows what's happening with the story, they have internal discussions about the story, they go over it endlessly; and so by the time it comes to actually imparting it to players, they just forget to explain things because there's part of their brain telling them that it's common knowledge or they already covered it.

Then players are confused when there's a whole season where it's revealed the vex mind Quaria is behind it all, and people who've played everything but never dived into the lore go "who?" Or the multiple times they go "Hey, it's Anna Bray from Warmind, you know, the content we loving deleted." That's not how it should work.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 2, 2023

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Pirate Jet posted:

I mean I’m not down with the idea of saying it was always bad but I have to admit I was dumbfounded that the same team that made The Witch Queen also made Lightfall a year later

Yeah that was so crazy to me

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Lord Packinham posted:

I thought people were posting that actual devs that design stuff for destiny were let go and it wasn’t just those.

yeah it was all across the board. world and combat designers, QA, comms, art, music, legal, everybody

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

Bobby Deluxe posted:

My feeling is that everyone at Bungie knows what's happening with the story, they have internal discussions about the story, they go over it endlessly; and so by the time it comes to actually imparting it to players, they just forget to explain things because there's part of their brain telling them that it's common knowledge or they already covered it.

This was a great post first of all, but I think what's more likely w/r/t what you said in this paragraph, is that there's numerous things decided by forces that lie outside the narrative team. Plot points that have to be left open for X future development, shifting the focus onto different characters due to voice actor availability, this thing needs to be changed because of the weird occult magic of market study says we'll make more money if it's like this, etc

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I'm still pissed about how they retconned the Witness from an erudite and disarmingly casual speaker to a generically evil badguy who just says vaguely ominous nonsense.

It was a more compelling contrast between them and the Traveller, and was a nice parallel with classic divine mythology; you had the aloof and distant God demanding sacrifice but always silent, vs the charming devil that's speaking to us on our level to try and tempt us away

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
I still can’t unsee Ed’s unibrow

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Reminder that all the worst of Destiny writing came from its in-house staff writers, and its best writing came from contracted workers

Absolutely not true, peak Destiny was achieved by some truly talented in house writers including the women who were basically run out of the company by toxic fans and leadership.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

My feeling is that everyone at Bungie knows what's happening with the story

Running a Voigt-Kampff test where I ask Bungie employees 'who is speaking to Oryx in the Books of Sorrow card Majestic, Majestic'

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

We may be looking at a new era with some of the best art, music, and game direction now that they can get so much more done with the same dollar

Yeah it's good all those people lost their jobs actually

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

We may be looking at a new era with some of the best art, music, and game direction now that they can get so much more done with the same dollar.

How about they pay employees more and don't try to contract out everything in an attempt to make number go up forever? What an absolute Ameribrain post holy hell lol.

General Battuta posted:

Absolutely not true. Peak Destiny was achieved by some truly talented in-house writers including the women who were basically run out of the company by toxic fans and leadership.

Also this.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
as a player who plays Destiny so I can raid, I started playing Destiny 2 in Beyond Light and skipped all the custscenes. I didn't pay attention to any seasonal story beats. When WQ dropped I was pretty disconnected from the story and overall i am relatively apathetic but I think WQ pulled me in with all the mystery and intrigue and did a good job making me interested in some of the shenanigans occurring between the people talking on the screen while I am not shooting. Some of the seasonal plot that I don't remember very much of at all was pretty cool though. I really liked the season of the haunted stuff and the hive god eris stuff going on is really cool imo. I think the LF story was rear end bc it was so disconnected from anything matering and did a really poor job of making me care....about....anything...other than being semi-excited that we got to kill Nezzy. like WQ felt like a really serious moment and wow big impactful things and lightfall felt like...filler, which it was so whatever.

I'll eat a 6 month season if TFS is WQ levels of quality and i feel like as someone who is entirely apathetic to the story and lore happening around me, that Destiny has improved story telling so much in general but that LF was def a dip in quality.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

General Battuta posted:

Absolutely not true, peak Destiny was achieved by some truly talented in house writers including the women who were basically run out of the company by toxic fans and leadership.

hell yeah.

also lol that they axed most of the comms team, people who served as the front line for dealing with both profoundly awful and genuinely sweet fans, so now everyone from all over is in Pete Parsons’s mentions baying for his blood

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook

Pirate Jet posted:

RADIAL MAST IN CLOUD ARC

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Pretzel Rod Serling posted:

hell yeah.

also lol that they axed most of the comms team, people who served as the front line for dealing with both profoundly awful and genuinely sweet fans, so now everyone from all over is in Pete Parsons’s mentions baying for his blood

I wasn't a fan of dmg but when he left and they modified the comms team to "a bunch of folks, who will put things out there but will just completely ignore playerbase feedback and don't act like community managers" it was inevitable. If you aren't part of the "Destiny Cool Kids Club Fanbase" of streamers, etc you're just along for the ride.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

General Battuta posted:

Running a Voigt-Kampff test where I ask Bungie employees 'who is speaking to Oryx in the Books of Sorrow card Majestic, Majestic'

lmao

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

one of destiny 2's greatest strengths is that it is very many things at once. it offers pve, pvp, single-player story, raids, dress-up, and all of these things run the gamut of intensities from casual to hardcore.

one of destiny 2's greatest weaknesses is that it is too many things at once. they don't know what to prioritize, and have not known for years. good things happen by accident. desired features are forgotten or ignored. too much emphasis is put on minor short-term wins instead of looking at the big picture.

in the GDC talk, justin truman claims that this quote doesn't apply to destiny because "that's the box product mindset, not the live service/train station mindset".

he is wrong.

shadowkeep was a miserable slog. lightfall was utterly rancid. and, instead of looking at the big picture and improving the overall game, they focused on the subsequent seasons making up for the poor launches. when you release an expansion that is that awful, where you deal that much damage to your product, people remember. even if they keep playing, it erodes their trust - and that makes them start asking questions.

will we ever get genuinely new strike content instead of something rehashed from an expansion or a previous season?
what's up with trials?
is stasis completely forgotten?
how's gambit going?
why hasn't the promised barber shop been added to the tower yet?
when will the next massive failure happen?

the key thing about maintaining a userbase for a service is to keep them distracted from the problems - and every service will have problems, just like how every project leaks. (go ahead, tell an engineer that what you built doesn't leak. they'll laugh in your face.) you have to keep your audience fed and happy: not only keep the content coming, but make it good enough to keep them from thinking about the lack of quality in other areas. this is a lot easier to do that when you have a huge shiny crafted experience to distract people with, but bungie hosed up by putting too much emphasis on the quantity over the quality.

seasonal content cannot make up for a poor core experience, and neat seasonal moments cannot overwrite bad memories. sloane's struggle with PTSD was touching, and eris doing mysterious rituals and wrestling with her identity was cool.

it did not make up for how pathetically half-baked the writing surrounding lightfall was, and it did not stop me from thinking about how disappointing the final shape has the potential to be.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I genuinely wanted them to pull destiny out of the dumpster fire it became. It's been pretty wild looking back at all the horrible decisions bungie made that the game survived in spite of, but if I'm being honest there were a lot of times that it was playing with goons or other friends that kept me coming back or actively engaged more than anything else. So lol that they have still not iterated on the social aspect of things in a meaningful enough way, clans could've been so much more than a chat channel and a banner you had to level up each season.

elpaganoescapa
Aug 13, 2014
Battuta was the best thing regarding Destiny's writting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

The only thing I would genuinely consider an overdelivery at this point is a Witch Queen quality campaign with a brand new 6th element. With the promise of multiple NEW PVP maps, strikes, and brand new core content like a MOBA Gambit or something over the course of episodes at a minimum. All topped off with an assortment of the most incredible looking and performing host of guns we've ever seen.

You know. What it should have always been as a final expansion.

I honestly don't care about to hear "it can't be done" or rational and measured responses like "but they just got rid of the artists and QA who could pull that off!" Don't surprise me, Bungie.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Nov 2, 2023