Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Count Roland posted:

Is McNulty the only cop that isn't shown using violence?

Even Lester hits Bird with the bottle when arresting him.

He did choke a corpse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lid posted:

He did choke a corpse

Rawls' "You're not killing them yourself, are you Jimmy? At least tell me that" still cracks me up :)

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Xiahou Dun posted:

Start with Rum, Sodomy and the Lash. People will quibble about the best album, but that one is a good on ramp.

I loving love The Pogues.
Depending on my mood, it's either Rum or Grace. I love all of the albums with Shane, even his stuff with The Popes.

I was in a redneck-y sports bar/restaurant a month or two back where they usually play pop-country crap. Before you ask - the burgers are amazing and were half priced that night. Someone loaded up four Pogues songs. I asked who put them on and the dude assumed I was about to complain. Nope. Told him how happy I was to hear good music in that place for once.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Obviously the show uses 'Body Of An American' for the police wakes, but iirc they use 'Transmetropolitan' for the scene where McNulty tries to smash his car up. I'm sure there's another song they use in the background of another scene, but I may be getting that confused with McNulty singing 'Star Of The County Down' badly

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Poster-username combo, first of all.

Second, Star of the County Down is traditional, the Pogues didn’t write that.

Lol that I too could remember song to scene correspondences. Of course that got stuck in my brain.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

The Pogues definitely recorded a version of 'Star Of The County Down' with Andrew on vocals while Daryl did the drums, or at least that's the set up they used when I saw them live on their reunion tours, but I think I'm just getting muddled

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Count Roland posted:

Even Lester hits Bird with the bottle when arresting him.
"HAYY SHORTAY!"

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

The Pogues definitely recorded a version of 'Star Of The County Down' with Andrew on vocals while Daryl did the drums, or at least that's the set up they used when I saw them live on their reunion tours, but I think I'm just getting muddled

This was a bonus track on the 2005 re-release of Peace and Love

There's a 5 CD set of rarities called "Just Look Them Straight in the Eye & Say Poguemahone", which is where I first heard it. It's on disc 5

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jerusalem posted:

Rawls' "You're not killing them yourself, are you Jimmy? At least tell me that" still cracks me up :)

God season 5 has such highs for such a not my favorite season.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Also the Jimmy serial killer profiling scene

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

MrMojok posted:

Also the Jimmy serial killer profiling scene

I also enjoy the "Yeah, then his brother ratted him out?" scene earlier deflating the guy trying to brag about hunting the unabomber

though i guess we get mixed messages about the effectiveness of profiling in that scene

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
The funniest part of The Wire is when Poot is the man for an hour.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Poot casually revealing that he just decided to stop being a drug dealer and went and got a job at Foot Locker is amazing. Dude was in the heart of it all, killed one of his friends, went to prison, just seemed like he was in "The Game" for (a short) life and then after Bodie was killed he just went,"Yeah that's enough of that" and hosed off and got a job.

I guess when your top priority in life is getting laid and you realize drugs and prison are likely to get in the way of that, it's a hell of a motivator!

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Poot went and cleaned his whole ack up

hosed us all up

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Stringer Bell: What are they gonna do, go out and get a job? :smug:

What a shock, Stringer's smug sense of being smarter than everybody somehow got proven wrong!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Also another funny one is

McNulty: I wonder what it takes to get kicked off this force?

Kima: maybe one day you will find out.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
I'm still slowly working through The Wire and the weirdest thing was seeing Poot in a high school as like, a 16 or 17 year old while the actor looked like he was nearly 30

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

This triggered a memory that got me to rewatch this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eboBnyoYNqw

I don't think I ever noticed before, but a comment pointed out that part of what makes Poot step up and ask Stringer if he recognizes they're gonna look like bitches is because he spots one of Stringer's enforcers shaking his head in disapproval when Stringer is going off on superior product beating territory. Absolutely love that.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Kosmo Gallion posted:

He a man today

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

algebra testes posted:

God season 5 has such highs for such a not my favorite season.
One of the many things I love about the show on rewatches is how it is 100% obvious that Bill Rawls knows his entire job is just a bunch of useless bullshit and so he just leans right into that for his entire career and is endlessly rewarded.

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

This triggered a memory that got me to rewatch this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eboBnyoYNqw

I don't think I ever noticed before, but a comment pointed out that part of what makes Poot step up and ask Stringer if he recognizes they're gonna look like bitches is because he spots one of Stringer's enforcers shaking his head in disapproval when Stringer is going off on superior product beating territory. Absolutely love that.

Poot was legitimately hardcore and there are many, many examples on screen of why.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

NorgLyle posted:

One of the many things I love about the show on rewatches is how it is 100% obvious that Bill Rawls knows his entire job is just a bunch of useless bullshit and so he just leans right into that for his entire career and is endlessly rewarded.

Yep. Except for the 2 hours where he has to be competent and is shockingly so.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Bunk: Particular?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Kosmo Gallion posted:

What about when Poot asks Herc's date if she enjoyed the movie

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Count Roland posted:

What about when Poot asks Herc's date if she enjoyed the movie

Hell yeah lol

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Currently watching Oz and re-watching The Wire simultaneously (and pretending all the shared actors are playing their Wire origin stories in Oz) and the scene that always makes me laugh is Bunk at the end of season two looking at a table full of photos of decapitated bodies with their hands cut off and says "I bet you there's a fuckin' police detective somewheres else looking at a table full of heads right now."

Just pure unadulterated gallows humor

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 2, 2023

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The little moment in S4 when Bubbles and Prez spot each other in the school like "the hell you doing here?"

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

e: skipped some posts nm

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Just finished my 6th or 7th rewatch tonight, and god drat this show really rewards you. I still caught stuff I never noticed before. I also read the wiki and looked up all the real people they used as actors and based characters on. The embarassing part is the one actor who I thought was obviously a real life cop because of how bad an actor he is was Coliccio, except he was a Marine who went to Vassar and has like writing awards and poo poo. Norris, the bald detective is kind of the real life Rawls and he just plays a detective using his real name. And Lt. Mello is the real life Jay Landsman. Also the actor who plays Deacon is the real life Avon Barksdale, who Ed Burns arrested and David Simon wrote about a couple decades earlier.

Season 5 is not bad and totally holds its own.

Every time Kenard comes on screen my daughter and I both go "fuckin' Kenard" because we know his arc and how he does Omar dirty. He's such a poo poo. Scary though, natural gangster.

Donut is my favorite non-main character.

A page or two ago you all were talking about when the show clicked, I thought it was later but it was episode 3 for me too. The first time I watched it I wasn't getting it until out of nowhere Freamon just walks out and comes back with the first photo of Avon Barksdale. I was all the way in after that moment.

Breaking Bad is the best show I've ever seen, except maybe The Wire.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

pokeyman posted:

Rawls is a McNulty who decided to make the system work for himself rather than persist in fighting a system he can't change.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

pokeyman posted:

Rawls could very easily have been 'good police' but at some point early in his career he must have looked around at where those 'good police' were and decided "Or I could, y'know, not."

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Rawls always seemed to be the sort of boss who would protect his detectives right up until the moment it starts to be politically inconvenient for him to do so

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I take back what I said before, the funniest line in the series is Bubbles calling hotdogs Pimp Steaks

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Underrated funny moment is when Chris and Snoop are asking NY dealers a question about a local radio show to weed them out and this guy answers correctly but Snoop doesn't have a clue and immediately sticks a gun in his face

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Criminal Minded posted:

Underrated funny moment is when Chris and Snoop are asking NY dealers a question about a local radio show to weed them out and this guy answers correctly but Snoop doesn't have a clue and immediately sticks a gun in his face

Sanjay be on the show too!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

He handled it well

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

deep dish peat moss posted:

I take back what I said before, the funniest line in the series is Bubbles calling hotdogs Pimp Steaks

Herc sucks but I'll never not laugh at "Mr. Mayor, that's a good, strong dick you got there, and I see you know how to use it."

Incidentally, Royce is an underrated character. He's a lot of fun during the election arc. I might like him even more than Clay Davis.

Randallteal fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Nov 17, 2023

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.

Randallteal posted:

Herc sucks but I'll never not laugh at "Mr. Mayor, that's a good, strong dick you got there, and I see you know how to use it."

Quoted for truth.

Season 5 also equipped me for a life of using "evacuate" properly in all contexts.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Randallteal posted:

Incidentally, Royce is an underrated character. He's a lot of fun during the election arc. I might like him even more than Clay Davis.

Royce getting grumpy that he actually had to get off his rear end and do some proper campaigning (dye job and a shave and bilking developers for a shitload of money at a "poker game") to actually beat Carcetti (and losing!) always cracks me up. Motherfucker really thought all he'd have to do is print some "VOTE ROYCE" posters and immediately win another term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Royce getting grumpy that he actually had to get off his rear end and do some proper campaigning (dye job and a shave and bilking developers for a shitload of money at a "poker game") to actually beat Carcetti (and losing!) always cracks me up. Motherfucker really thought all he'd have to do is print some "VOTE ROYCE" posters and immediately win another term.

I took that shaving scene differently. I didn't view it as Royce finally taking the race seriously, so much as showing he was out of touch. The shaving was interspersed with Tony running around town glad handing. One guy working hard, the other focusing on superficial appearances. Royce had been in power too long and was too comfortable. We saw that in other ways he mishandled the campaign, like by alienating the wheelchair guy out of pride.