Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Buck Wildman posted:

I remember saying that a drink helps you relax in the shattered memories q&a at the beginning starts you off as a severe alcoholic, lol

Dr. K loves giving you tests where you put two blocks on top of each other and then he goes "wow so you're like that, huh? hosed up. I'm a licensed psychologist". No wonder, since he spends all session drinking.

Endorph posted:

also shattered memories is like probably the most sexist video game ever made and projects that onto the player hardcore so i kind of despise it

Yeah not for nothing that getting sex PI is the easiest thing if you just look around like you would in a normal video game. It's not the player's fault that Harry comments on what high school cheerleader he's into or that he roots around to find condoms in drawers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

a game about psychology developed by people whose idea of psychology is judging other people

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

whod've thought baphomet was such a loving teetolar, what does he expect people in this town to do during their offtime

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the therapy scenes are psychotic. the tiger in space was probably one of the tamer bits

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
The only cool stuff Barlow has done is SS: Next Encounter and Crusty Demons. gently caress everyone that tricked me into buying Her Story.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
why does shattered memories have a minigame about opening lisa's medicine cabinet and having to pick out the correct drug from the actual literal pile of drugs stacked up in there

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Oxxidation posted:

the therapy scenes are psychotic.

1. King
2. Prince
3. Daughter
4. Bull

This is objectively correct, don't @ me

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The Colonel posted:

why does shattered memories have a minigame about opening lisa's medicine cabinet and having to pick out the correct drug from the actual literal pile of drugs stacked up in there

My favorite part about that is if you give her the wrong pill then you come back to find her already dead, having taken even more of the wrong pill and still holding some of it in her hand.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

women are like dogs and will eat anything you put in front of them

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

WaltherFeng posted:

Blooper team

:hmmyes:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
like again i think what owns about silent hill 3 is that heather as a character constantly makes fun of how weird dudes in silent hill act and the game is pretty much on her side for it in a way that does feel genuine and funny without like, going overboard in a way that feels cheeky. so you hit silent hill origins and suddenly the only way silent hill can look at women is that they're all either psychopaths or have zero initiative and are perpetually tortured

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

The Colonel posted:

like again i think what owns about silent hill 3 is that heather as a character constantly makes fun of how weird dudes in silent hill act and the game is pretty much on her side for it in a way that does feel genuine and funny without like, going overboard in a way that feels cheeky. so you hit silent hill origins and suddenly the only way silent hill can look at women is that they're all either psychopaths or have zero initiative and are perpetually tortured

Michelle was a cool character in Shattered Memories :shobon:

I got the pink dress version on my playthorugh, the sweet prom queen

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
**whispers "bitches and whores" while writing a western SH title**

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the single funniest moment in all of silent hill is one guy in homecoming, apropos of nothing, going "YEAH... I HEARD SILENT HILL IS PRETTY SCARY... THERE WAS A POLICE STATION THAT SENT AN OFFICER UP THERE... SHE NEVER CAME BACK... ALL THEY FOUND OF HER... WAS HER MOTORCYCLE..."

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023
was the bit with Harry being on the razor's edge of killing Heather as a baby weird for anyone else or did I just not get it?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i dont remember that bit but silent hill 3 is a game about how everyone involved is a little weird and hosed up by what they've been through but heather and the people she cares about are set apart by the fact that they do ultimately manage to get by with that and be decent people anyway so i kinda get it. it's a game with a scene where your only real friend points a gun at you and wonders if shooting you right now would make everything stop faster but ultimately decides not to because that's not something he actually wants to do to you

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

idontpost69 posted:

was the bit with Harry being on the razor's edge of killing Heather as a baby weird for anyone else or did I just not get it?

It isn't particularly weird.

Harry (correctly) assumed that she was Alessa reborn and there was a significant chance she would doom the world. He genuinely considered pulling a "would you kill Baby Hitlersatan" and then decided that no, he wasn't that kind of person. The story is pretty clear that Harry doesn't view Heather as him rescuing Cheryl but a new person. (He even mentions he wishes he hadn't named her Cheryl because it was like he was replacing the original.)

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
I always thought Silent Hill worked better the less you explained. I thought the lighting in the bottle was trying to do a j-horror style story but set it with American styled characters. 1 does a great job of being hosed up, you come to a town, weird local cult summoning a god from a severely traumatized kid, it's snowing in the summer, you don't get all the notes but you get enough and know to leave. 2 deals with guilt and personal hell, yeah, no one is there to tell James he did a bad, but he's going to beat himself up for eternity manifesting his own guilt, very cool, the town is mean but it's still very vague how they get there. 3 starts to gently caress it up by giving the cult more time when it was better to just have no clue about it, but the team is still smart enough to right the ship. 4 tried to be different and is hurt by its gameplay and over time has become more respected. After that, they threw it to the cheapest devs who just look at it is more, everyone is hosed and deserves to be punished, no lesson learned but we gotta explain the poo poo out of everything.

Make Silent Hill an unknowable evil/indifferent place that has very little explanation and you got gold.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly that is one of the things I like about Harry and Heather. Harry views Heather as her own person. He doesn't view her either as Cheryl 2.0 OR Alessa. He loves her as his daughter because she is his daughter, not because she is his replacement daughter. That does mean he considers killing her at one point but I think "I escaped from Hell after killing a horrifying demon and am left with nothing but a baby and a bucketload of trauma, maybe I shouldn't just spare the maybe evil demon baby" is an entirely reasonable viewpoint to have. Harry was just a good person and in the end his fears were entirely justified except for the fact that because he raised Heather she rejected all that bullshit because her dad loved her as an individual, not as a spinoff of the cult baby bullshit.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
silent hill 3 expanding the cult is something that, out of context i'd say is very questionable but it makes sense why it does it. like you look at homecoming and that game's use of the cult is, people do bad things because the cult is around, and some people are turned evil by joining the cult because those people were always psychos for uh, reasons that i guess just aren't important. silent hill 3 still explicitly takes place in the aftermath of whatever the hell the cult was, they don't really explain what their current deal is and most of what happens is less "the cult" and more the incredibly strange and hosed up people calling themselves part of it who unlike heather and douglas, are functionally incapable of breaking away from all of the horror and tragedy they allow to define their lives, with the villain being a sort of direct parallel to heather in being someone so deeply indoctrinated and obsessed with her past that she has absolutely no idea how to even begin functioning as a normal human being or how to recognize heather as her own distinct person. you also have vincent there as a guy who like, isn't really indoctrinated, but is still so entirely self obsessed that while he's not outright an enemy he is also literally incapable of being a regular person with empathy or understanding of others

i think it's interesting that among all this silent hill 3 is one of the few games that really doesn't have ending variation outside of a specific bad end (and the ufo end obviously), because the definitive end of the game is heather fully embracing herself, breaking free of all of this and breaking down this entire structure that only exists to try and break down her personal identity as a human being

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 2, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yea silent hill 3 is mostly about like moving on from the past so the fact that the bad guys are clinging to this poorly explained cult from the first game is thematic, versus just Evil Cult

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also there's always an undercurrent of 'the cultists don't know much about what's going down either and are just hoping it all works how they want it to'. Like Heather mentioning it's not much of a God if a middle aged writer with a hunting rifle kicked its rear end.

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023
I will say that I really like the way 3 executed Harry's death, they make it real for the player by denying you the fan service reunion you'd been anticipating the entire first half of the game, 99 games out of 100 have heather holding Harry's head as he gasps out "Heather remember...remember the water bottle."

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah they tease like harrys ghost speaking to you later on too and then it never happens. the closest you get is the diary. its cool

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, the thing that is appealing about SH3 is that the 'twist' isn't that Heather was Cheryl/Alessa but that she is her own person and she isn't obligated to allow anyone else to control her life, mind, body or soul no matter who they are or what they claim. It is entirely about her claiming her own personhood and her right to her own body and identity. She can be who she wants. Her choosing to go by Cheryl even is that because it is the name she chose herself to honor her dad, rather than the fake identity she had to keep up because of Cult Bullshit.

.. and then she canonically gets sucked into Dead by Daylight where she suffers for the rest of eternity but hey, at least she's in good company there.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the most important thing about ps2 silent hill is how you got a bunch of games with a very distinct direction and tone balancing their ideas pretty expertly, and then on the same engine you get to play firefighter fd18 where uh, things, occur, the filehost i was going to post this on broke so here's an mp4 of fd18 you have to click through for audio

https://i.imgur.com/G2wrscu.mp4

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
highly recommend fd18 if you want a ps2 game about fighting sentient fires that attack you by shooting smaller sentient fires at you, where the main villain is a hacker who's starting fires because he's angry the mayor cheated him on a deal with his Illegal Hardware, and then for the final boss you fight him on top of an oil refinery where he's wearing full fireman gear but he's modified his water hose to shoot fire at you so you can have a fireman rival battle

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

The Colonel posted:

highly recommend fd18 if you want a ps2 game about fighting sentient fires that attack you by shooting smaller sentient fires at you, where the main villain is a hacker who's starting fires because he's angry the mayor cheated him on a deal with his Illegal Hardware, and then for the final boss you fight him on top of an oil refinery where he's wearing full fireman gear but he's modified his water hose to shoot fire at you

But does the game have fire in it?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

TheWorldsaStage posted:

But does the game have fire in it?

it's inspired by the movie backdraft. what i mean by that is that it has a mechanic where sometimes when you open doors a backdraft comes out and you have to do a qte to dodge the backdraft. whenever this happens your partner loudly shouts "IT'S A BACKDRAFT!"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Colonel posted:

it's inspired by the movie backdraft. what i mean by that is that it has a mechanic where sometimes when you open doors a backdraft comes out and you have to do a qte to dodge the backdraft. whenever this happens your partner loudly shouts "IT'S A BACKDRAFT!"

Wow. It has better firefighting mechanics than Quantum Error

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Getting the “it’s trauma” sticker tattoo and trying to convince my therapist I’m normal

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's a bizarre attempt at making a straight-up arcade style firefighting third person shooter and runs into some expected jank but it honestly does hit a weird sweet spot where it's janky enough to be funny but still enough of a video game to be entertaining to play. and if you find all of the in-game collectables you unlock a skater dude outfit for your firefighter so you can be totally rad while you fight fires, and talk about your trauma over losing your sister in a fire that's driven you to be a firefighter so you can get revenge, against fire

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023
I always give credit to a game that can conceive of a premise other than killing though I suppose you're technically killing fire.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there is a part at the end where you fight the mayor's bloodthirsty killer bodyguard, by shooting him with water via firefighting equipment. and then the mayor shouts about how you should have killed him when you had the chance because only the strong survive. you rebuke his twisted ideology, and make it clear you would never kill a man with a gun even if given the chance, because you are a fire fighter

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

The Colonel posted:

it's a bizarre attempt at making a straight-up arcade style firefighting third person shooter and runs into some expected jank but it honestly does hit a weird sweet spot where it's janky enough to be funny but still enough of a video game to be entertaining to play. and if you find all of the in-game collectables you unlock a skater dude outfit for your firefighter so you can be totally rad while you fight fires, and talk about your trauma over losing your sister in a fire that's driven you to be a firefighter so you can get revenge, against fire

please tell me there's a part where the fire holds someone hostage and demands transport to the nearest drought-stricken forest

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there isnt but every fire has a distinct name and attack pattern and theres a level set in a factory where the fires have taken over the machinery and are shooting out flaming red barrels of fire at you

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I will admit the psychology stuff in Shatmemz is stupid

But it was fun to explore spooky places... Like a less lovely dear esther

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

I'm a tasteless rear end in a top hat who is ridiculously easy to please and I'd forgive pretty much whatever in a Silent Hill game as long as it scared me. Nothing post Team Silent has had a single moment that I can think back on and go "Oh yeah, that part really got me" and I am the biggest wuss I know.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dear Esther was good....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The extended multi-layer metaphor deployed in the first level of SH3 remains brainbusting for me.