Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Arc Hammer posted:

I'm concerned however that I might end up screwing myself based on my CPU. I currently have a 12th Gen i5 12600K so I don't know if jumping up to a 4000 series Nvidia card will be enough to get the results I want for CP2077 or if I'll just be trading my current GPU limitations and run up against CPU limitations.

from Techpowerup's i5-14600K review:

you almost certainly have enough CPU power to run Cyberpunk 2077 at 1440p at 60 FPS minimum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I am more GPU bound than CPU bound, then, at least for CP2077. I guess it's just a matter of finding a deal on a card.

4K isnt really an option for me right now because my desk isn't big enough, so 1440p with a nice OLED screen or a high refresh rate is where my next monitor purchase is aimed.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Nov 1, 2023

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Arc Hammer posted:

So I am more GPU bound than CPU bound, then, at least for CP2077. I guess it's just a matter of finding a deal on a card.

4K isnt really an option for me right now because my desk isn't big enough, so 1440p with a nice OLED screen or a high refresh rate is where my next monitor purchase is aimed.

Almost nobody is significantly CPU bound in video games, especially at 1440p or 4k. You see that 10900k doing 138fps? That's Skylake, still hanging on. I'm sure an 8700k from 2017 would perform about the same, because going from 6 to 10 cores doesn't help most games, including Cyberpunk.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Arc Hammer posted:

Well, like I said, if your goal is 60FPS with full raytracing settings at 1440p, it's a 4090 or bust:

https://www.techspot.com/review/2743-cyberpunk-phantom-liberty-benchmark/

Everything on down to the 4070 can get 30FPS with ultra raytracing, but even the 4080 falls well short of 60. (And AMD doesn't even enter the discussion.) If 60FPS is your goal, I'm afraid your bank account is about to get broken in half.

Personally I might even save a few hundred and go with the standard 4070, but it's your budget and you know what your wallet can tolerate. And there might be some good Cyber Monday deals coming up.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

Almost nobody is significantly CPU bound in video games, especially at 1440p or 4k. You see that 10900k doing 138fps? That's Skylake, still hanging on. I'm sure an 8700k from 2017 would perform about the same, because going from 6 to 10 cores doesn't help most games, including Cyberpunk.

That is a dangerous generalization to make considering there have been several new releases over the last year or two that have run poorly on older CPUs. Forza Motorsport, late-game Baldur's Gate 3, Star Wars Jedi: Survivor, and Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart are a few games that have come out this year that struggle to hit a smooth 60fps at any resolution at high settings and with older CPUs from the Zen 2 or Coffee Lake era. There have been cases like Calisto Protocol or The Witcher 3 Enhanced Edition with ray tracing enabled where they struggled to hit a smooth 60fps with midrange Zen 3 or Alder Lake CPUs even, though those were particularly scuffed releases that were later improved with patches.

That said, the 12600K is still a relatively modern CPU that's perfectly good delivering good frame rates when gaming. It shouldn't have any problem keeping up with 40-series GPUs in everything but a few edge cases maybe.

SpaceDrake posted:

Well, like I said, if your goal is 60FPS with full raytracing settings at 1440p, it's a 4090 or bust:

Everything on down to the 4070 can get 30FPS with ultra raytracing, but even the 4080 falls well short of 60. (And AMD doesn't even enter the discussion.) If 60FPS is your goal, I'm afraid your bank account is about to get broken in half.

Personally I might even save a few hundred and go with the standard 4070, but it's your budget and you know what your wallet can tolerate. And there might be some good Cyber Monday deals coming up.

DLSS exists and should always be used when trying to do high-end ray tracing things. The 4070 Ti can definitely get a good 60fps in CP2077 at 1440P with ray tracing set to ultra if you also use DLSS. That said, that image is only showing "ultra" ray tracing, which doesn't include the new extra fancy path tracing mode. You can maybe settle for a locked 45fps with a 4070 Ti in that mode if you're okay with sub-60, but you are not going to get high frame rates with any card but a 4090 when truly maxing out ray tracing. (edit: I'm disregarding frame gen because you don't want to use it to achieve only 60fps, it doesn't feel good unless the frame rate you get when using it is 100+)

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Nov 2, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I mean worst case scenario I just keep my current 144hz 1080p monitor and enjoy the extra frames. It's perfectly functional as is, a resolution upgrade would be a nice bonus is all.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Interesting article about some lower-level fab stuff and the bans around tool exports to China

https://www.chinatalk.media/p/litho-world-and-commerce-lost-in

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
So is Alan Wake 2 the best looking game you can play right now?

My jaw is on the floor almost constantly, but I wonder if it will beat out Forbidden West with PC oomph. That is going to look loving nuts imo.

And I have to say, frame gen... is good? I spent the last year purposefully keeping it off because it just sounded so... bad. But I have to give credit where it's due; it's really, really good in AW2 at least.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

DLSS exists and should always be used when trying to do high-end ray tracing things.

Yeah that chart is incredibly misleading.

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Taima posted:

So is Alan Wake 2 the best looking game you can play right now?

My jaw is on the floor almost constantly, but I wonder if it will beat out Forbidden West with PC oomph. That is going to look loving nuts imo.

And I have to say, frame gen... is good? I spent the last year purposefully keeping it off because it just sounded so... bad. But I have to give credit where it's due; it's really, really good in AW2 at least.

Yeah that chart is incredibly misleading.

I'd give it to Phantom Liberty with path tracing on. It's such a cohesive look, and so impressive that it's also open world with changing time of day and weather.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

SpaceDrake posted:

Ultra settings are for suckers. Most of them cost so much fps and give nothing noticable in the visuals compared to very high. Playing without DLSS is typically also for suckers.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

PirateBob posted:

Ultra settings are for suckers. Most of them cost so much fps and give nothing noticable in the visuals compared to very high. Playing without DLSS is typically also for suckers.

But I'll know :negative:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I just played through Jusant over the last couple days (it's pretty short), and it's not the best looking game ever, but it is quite nice looking.

Obviously doesn't have the level of asset quality or production value of Alan Wake 2, but it still uses Unreal Engine 5's virtual shadow maps and Lumen lighting system, and it's probably the most stable and consistent implementation of that I've seen. The world of Jusant has practically zero specular or reflections, with everything having a clay-like look almost. Instead, they focus on nailing the look of the global illumination. They mix low-fidelity art with high-fidelity lighting tech in a way that really compliments each other. In short, it's very pretty and neat looking.

i should start a paid pc gaming optimization service where i just sneak into people's homes and change their settings from ultra to high without them realizing it

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 1, 2023

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

i should start a paid pc gaming optimization service where i just sneak into people's homes and change their settings from ultra to high without them realizing it
For the games that they cover, searching YouTube for
"digital foundry optimized settings [game name]"
haven't steered my 3080FE wrong, they seem to make the same calls I would to sacrifice maybe 5-10% quality that you may not notice for much better fps and general performance.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

For the games that they cover, searching YouTube for
"digital foundry optimized settings [game name]"
haven't steered my 3080FE wrong, they seem to make the same calls I would to sacrifice maybe 5-10% quality that you may not notice for much better fps and general performance.

Yeah I’ll use these as well and it does a really good job of explaining why they pick the setting they do and showing the A/B of picking it.

Like ultra volumetric clouds looking nearly the same as high but saving 5% performance.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

But mah e-peen!

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
People hunting for nice looking games should know that The Talos Principle 2 comes out tomorrow. I don't know if it will have the fanciest graphics, but the art direction is lovely.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

it's fancy in the sense that it uses lumen, but i think it falls more into the category of mainly using it to simplify development

unless there's some surprises we didn't see in the demo, the lighting is mostly static and could have been baked

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

repiv posted:

it's fancy in the sense that it uses lumen, but i think it falls more into the category of mainly using it to simplify development

unless there's some surprises we didn't see in the demo, the lighting is mostly static and could have been baked

And yet, DF did a video recently with some comparisons between lumen enabled/disabled in Talos Principle 2 and it looked like rear end with it disabled. Really flat lighting, the scenes (the ones they chose at least) lost a lot of character.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

AirRaid posted:

And yet, DF did a video recently with some comparisons between lumen enabled/disabled in Talos Principle 2 and it looked like rear end with it disabled. Really flat lighting, the scenes (the ones they chose at least) lost a lot of character.

that's probably because they didn't put in the work to make it look good prebaked

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1719998083755331886?t=on08f1aV46FaA998lMzbQQ&s=19

The only way this makes sense is if it ran at, like, 10 FPS before lmao

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

gradenko_2000 posted:

That is what most of these have been, I think the Assassin's Creed Unity one was the game ran at 5fps and ran in the 40s after the driver release. I'd expect MCC to be another one of those games that was just completely broken on Arc before. Worth bearing in mind Intel isn't making these press release headlines it's just internal benchmarks in driver release notes that hack journos run as headlines.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

https://twitter.com/kopite7kimi/status/1719992814606619110

He clarifies that the 4070 Super is 220W, a 10% boost over the normal 4070. Should still see a better than 10% improvement due to having 22% more CUDA cores (and you can always manually tweak the power limit). The other ones are gonna be 10% gains tops.

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1719998083755331886?t=on08f1aV46FaA998lMzbQQ&s=19

I remember it being one of the games LTT tested during Arc's launch that was completely unplayable. So it has taken the better part of a year for Intel to fix it, and it still may not be fully fixed.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Nov 2, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

It had serious graphical glitches on top of running like crap.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Rinkles posted:

It had serious graphical glitches on top of running like crap.

After all, Halo 2 was one of the first DirectX 10 exclusives that required Windows Vista to play.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

oh sorry i thought that article was about halo infinite.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
larian actually put fsr 2.2 in bg3 but forgot to mention it in their patch notes lol

https://twitter.com/LarAtLarian/status/1720124467718828317

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

kliras posted:

larian actually put fsr 2.2 in bg3 but forgot to mention it in their patch notes lol

When a game is great from the get-go and they are beloved by everybody, they don’t need to flaunt new features

I loved how a developer wrote a twitter thread explaining that it would be unfair for the rest of the industry to be judged by the standard that Larian set. Even though this dev worked for a larger company with more resources.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The key thing that differentiates Larian’s stuff for me (and Owlbear’s is like this too, I think, but it’s smothered in fussy rule traps) is that they are willing to put in something that’s cool even though sub-1% of players would encounter it organically. The “ROI” on each of those things is terrible, but the result of the sum of them is a world that feels like it wants you to explore it and rewards you—often not mechanically!—for trying things.

I guess maybe Bethesda’s stuff is like that too, I never got too deep into what others’ experiences with it were, but at least Starfield didn’t feel that way to me at all. I was supposed to have the same experience as everyone else, be able to do anything, be led to all the content, and not be able to miss anything.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

The key thing that differentiates Larian’s stuff for me (and Owlbear’s is like this too, I think, but it’s smothered in fussy rule traps) is that they are willing to put in something that’s cool even though sub-1% of players would encounter it organically. The “ROI” on each of those things is terrible, but the result of the sum of them is a world that feels like it wants you to explore it and rewards you—often not mechanically!—for trying things.

I guess maybe Bethesda’s stuff is like that too, I never got too deep into what others’ experiences with it were, but at least Starfield didn’t feel that way to me at all. I was supposed to have the same experience as everyone else, be able to do anything, be led to all the content, and not be able to miss anything.

You mean like the Divinity perk that lets you talk to animals?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Animal posted:

yeah or one-off dialogue options from far-removed earlier choices, or just bits of lore hidden in places you have no reason to go except curiosity

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Would an i9-9900K meaningfully bottleneck a 4090K using DLSS @ 4K?

I've been on a 3080Ti since Oct 2021 and was at 1440P, but have since upgraded to 4K OLED (LG C2) precisely one year ago. I haven't played too many games that I couldn't make work just fine at 4K...but Alan Wake 2 and CP2077 look like games I really want to turn all the knobs up on. It's a very bad use of money and it looks like Founders 4090s are impossible to find...but I want it.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Animal posted:

The talk to animals ability in BG3 is essential. I couldn't believe how much of the game was tucked away behind it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

wash bucket posted:

The talk to animals ability in BG3 is essential. I couldn't believe how much of the game was tucked away behind it.

whole quests!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

seems like talos 2, or the unreal version they're using got updated between the demo build and release, the lighting is more stable i think

the bit right after the elevator at the start was an unstable mess in the demo but it's mostly fine now

still no option to use hardware lumen though

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Anti-Hero posted:

I've been on a 3080Ti since Oct 2021 and was at 1440P, but have since upgraded to 4K OLED (LG C2) precisely one year ago. I haven't played too many games that I couldn't make work just fine at 4K...but Alan Wake 2 and CP2077 look like games I really want to turn all the knobs up on. It's a very bad use of money and it looks like Founders 4090s are impossible to find...but I want it.

On certain games that make heavy usage of CPUs, it is possible. CPU load also goes up with ray tracing.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

kliras posted:

AMD also does this for everything they release.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Anti-Hero posted:

I have a 4090 founders running on an i9-9900k, both are stock, at 1440p the CPU bottlenecks in quite a few games, though that is generally with DLSS quality. I haven't tried CP2077 yet though.

I also upgraded from a 3080 Ti, which was actually occasionally hitting the CPU bottleneck itself in Dying Light 2, but not many other places.

I'm going to upgrade the CPU eventually, the Intel "14th" gen are power hogging pieces of poo poo, so no. The 7800X3D would be my first choice, but I have a crippling aversion to buying the first platform using a new DDR generation. Unless I run out of patience, I'll probably just get whatever second generation DDR5 X3D chip AMD puts out.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Just set the max power lower on whatever 14th Gen Intel chip you want. It’ll probably drop performance 3% or so and save you half the power.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Is it possible to buy 4090s at msrp? Or is it a given that you're going to be spending 100 more on gamercore aesthetics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Is it possible to buy 4090s at msrp? Or is it a given that you're going to be spending 100 more on gamercore aesthetics?

Founders edition MSRP? not unless you get lucky on timing.

Third party MSRP? Yes.