Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

tiaz posted:

h/t to The_Franz over in GBS:

https://www.justice.gov/usao-edny/pr/brooklyn-resident-and-two-russian-canadian-nationals-charged-massive-sanctions-evasion

The US part of a probably silicon-focused sanctions circumvention ring got got. I wonder how much of the electronics starvation that $7M got around.
Hopefully they'll be recognized as unlawful combatants and spend the rest of their lives in orange jumpsuits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
they'll get some slap on the wrist suspended sentence and go back to russia for a hero's welcome

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

Cugel the Clever posted:

Hopefully they'll be recognized as unlawful combatants and spend the rest of their lives in orange jumpsuits.

Your grasp of legal matters basically qualifies you to be on Trump's legal team.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

tiaz posted:

h/t to The_Franz over in GBS:

https://www.justice.gov/usao-edny/pr/brooklyn-resident-and-two-russian-canadian-nationals-charged-massive-sanctions-evasion

The US part of a probably silicon-focused sanctions circumvention ring got got. I wonder how much of the electronics starvation that $7M got around.

quote:

Nassridinov responded that “Ukrainians alleged that they’re being bombed from parts from there [the U.S. manufacturer], maybe that’s why they started investigating everything?” Goltsev responded that, “we need to figure out why they keep holding the package ... I don’t really understand how they figured [it] out.” In a subsequent message, on or about November 9, 2022, Goltsev commented that, “in the future we will need to load from several companies, not to attract attention ... for now large packages will be dangerous until we understand what they figured out ... we will need to think of diversifying the load ... so that not everything is not moving from the same deck.” In a February 23, 2023 message, Nasriddinov wrote to Goltsev, “Happy Defender of the Fatherland,” referring to the holiday in Russia and parts of the former Soviet Union celebrating those who served in the armed forces. Goltsev responded, “happy holiday to you too my friend, we are defending it in the way that we can [smile emoji].”
:nsavince:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
So what would be the scale of potential legal consequences for this kind of thing, if you're found guilty of it? I would assume it would be pretty brutal.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

So what would be the scale of potential legal consequences for this kind of thing, if you're found guilty of it? I would assume it would be pretty brutal.

probably a violation of several US Codes simultaneously, depending on whether Russia is declared an enemy of the United States. They're definitely under an export sanction, and the fines and penalties are steep for that kinda poo poo.

https://www.bis.doc.gov/index.php/enforcement/oee/penalties posted:

Violations of the Export Administration Regulations, 15 C.F.R. Parts 730-774 (EAR) may be subject to both criminal and administrative penalties. Under the Export Control Reform Act of 2018 (50 U.S.C. §§ 4801-4852) (ECRA), criminal penalties can include up to 20 years of imprisonment and up to $1 million in fines per violation, or both. Administrative monetary penalties can reach up to $300,000 per violation or twice the value of the transaction, whichever is greater. In general, the administrative monetary penalty maximum is adjusted for inflation annually.

Violators may also be subject to the denial of their export privileges as further described below. A denial of export privileges prohibits a person from participating in any way in any transaction subject to the EAR. Furthermore, it is unlawful for other businesses and individuals to participate in any way in an export transaction subject to the EAR with a denied person.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

Felonies with actual prison time in a real prison and a sentence that wouldn't be suspended.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

PurpleXVI posted:

Export/IEEPA sentences are honestly pretty lax. Usually massive fines/forfeiture of illicit gains, loss of business licenses, being put on a BIS denied persons/SDN list and maybe a couple years in jail. If they tack on something more substantial like agent of a foreign power (which isn't even that much more substantial, honestly), they won't get any more than that.

Most Russian-linked proliferation agents in the U.S. just lose their U.S. based assets and just go back to Russia after a year or two in jail.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Antigravitas posted:

Ukrainian personnel has been training on these (to my surprise): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M3_Amphibious_Rig

A.o.D. posted:

oh wow, those are really cool. I'd never heard of them before.

it's like an amazing playset, but adult-sized

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
And now, for something lighter.

https://twitter.com/DougJBalloon/status/1720494956698022213

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1720869743345680659

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

A bit more substantive:
https://twitter.com/yarotrof/status/1720836724211831034#m
(No idea about the boat, note that the Ukrainian text in the image in the tweet doesn't mention it either)

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

The supposed target was a missile corvette, so blowing it up before winter might save a few daycare centres, power stations and blocks of flats.

Still, it can be replaced, at least in theory, by similar vessels from other fleets, because it's just about the maximum size to fit through the Russian river canal system.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

The supposed target was a missile corvette, so blowing it up before winter might save a few daycare centres, power stations and blocks of flats.

Still, it can be replaced, at least in theory, by similar vessels from other fleets, because it's just about the maximum size to fit through the Russian river canal system.

What's the minimum draft of that system, though?

Edit a quick wiki check suggests that parts of that waterway are less than the 3.3 meters required for the Karakut class.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Nov 5, 2023

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Blyatcarraldo

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Wiki says the Muskova's current draft is approximately 50m.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Blistex posted:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Blistex posted:

i doubt russia has that many men left

they didnt during the great patriotic war

MrAmazing
Jun 21, 2005

Alan Smithee posted:

i doubt russia has that many men left

they didnt during the great patriotic war

Metres, not millions.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

What's the minimum draft of that system, though?

Edit a quick wiki check suggests that parts of that waterway are less than the 3.3 meters required for the Karakut class.

They seem to be short enough that dredging should be feasible. It's a completely different question whether the Russian navy would agree to do a domestic re-enactment of the Baltic fleet of 1904.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Yeah that’s not how canals work. They’re not getting a replacement down there.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

MrAmazing posted:

Metres, not millions.

laid end to end yeah i can see that

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

FrozenVent posted:

Sure they will

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

FrozenVent posted:

According to Wiki they're building those at Zelenodolsk (next to Kazan on the map above your post).

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

According to Wiki they're building those at Zelenodolsk (next to Kazan on the map above your post).

They also drilled this sort of scenario last year, albeit between the Baltic and White sea.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1721608116431667212

Looks like there's now visual confirmation of that Russian ship getting blasted by Ukrainian missiles.

That's one ship that's looking pretty hosed up.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

it’ll buff out

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009
:stare: Moskva looked better before it sank

Probably cheaper and more effective to melt the whole thing down into artillery shells.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

nothing a little Russian resourcefulness can't fix

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

Alan Smithee posted:

nothing a little Russian resourcefulness can't fix

Do you have any idea how many turnips that'll take to fix?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

TK-42-1 posted:

it’ll buff out

the side fell off

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

PurpleXVI posted:

https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1721608116431667212

Looks like there's now visual confirmation of that Russian ship getting blasted by Ukrainian missiles.

That's one ship that's looking pretty hosed up.

Wasn't this a brand new ship as well? Like it had never launched any missiles at real targets yet?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

MH Knights posted:

Wasn't this a brand new ship as well? Like it had never launched any missiles at real targets yet?

It's supposedly the Karakurt-class corvette "Askold," which was launched in 2021, so it might well have taken some shots at Ukraine, but reasonably new.

In other new news:

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1721812897557369248

quote:

Russian military bloggers apparently noticed a Ukrainian BTR-4E crossing the Dnieper yesterday to join the foothold established in Krynky, on the left bank. They are saying this is the first sighting of heavy vehicles in the area.

If they're starting to get supported by actual armor, I think we can consider the Ukrainian crossing of the Dnieper not just a nuisance but an actual threat to the Russians in eastern Kherson oblast.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

PurpleXVI posted:

It's supposedly the Karakurt-class corvette "Askold," which was launched in 2021, so it might well have taken some shots at Ukraine, but reasonably new.

FWIW I don't think it was actually commissioned yet, so unlikely to have done anything (and now never will).

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I think it's quite nice how quickly Russians will post BDA for us.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

PurpleXVI posted:

In other new news:

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1721812897557369248

If they're starting to get supported by actual armor, I think we can consider the Ukrainian crossing of the Dnieper not just a nuisance but an actual threat to the Russians in eastern Kherson oblast.
I don't know if I'd exactly call a BTR-4 'armor' or a 'heavy vehicle' but it definitely does seem to suggest a stronger Ukrainian presence there than a infantry alone. Or I wonder if they are using the BTRs to ferry supplies over so they don't have to load/unload a boat on the fairly observable river bank?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
ngl, I would not want to use a BTR-4 as a ferry.

Seems to me they are just slowly increasing pressure to be a credible nuisance.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Antigravitas posted:

ngl, I would not want to use a BTR-4 as a ferry.

Seems to me they are just slowly increasing pressure to be a credible nuisance.

Russia has been completely unable to create momentum. Being a credible nuisance in enough places seems likely to bear fruit.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
There's a major highway from Oleshky to Crimea, if the Ukrainians can expand their foothold across the Dneiper they could start moving in that direction instead of the extremely difficult push to Tokmak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1722225647752540351

quote:

The Main Intelligence Directorate of Ukraine (#GUR) has claimed responsibility for the assassination of the Russia-backed LNR “People’s Council” member and former separatist army head Mikhail Filiponenko in #Luhansk.

He was killed this morning.

https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1722215175997231369

quote:

‘This Will Happen to Every Traitor’: Ukraine Confirms #Partisans Blew Up #LNR Militia Head

The Russia-backed LNR “People’s Council” member and former separatist army head was killed in a car bomb in the occupied eastern Ukrainian region of #Luhansk.

Sometimes it really feels like the GUR is operating with near-complete impunity. I wonder if it's a sign of how good they are, how bad the Russian security apparatus is or how many people are worn out, disloyal and willing to help the GUR for a few bucks. Probably some combination of all three.