Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Bats aren't birds!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Son of Rodney posted:

Bats aren't birds!!

Surely you can't argue with the people of New Zealand. Next you'll tell me that kiwis aren't birds either.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The bumblebees here in Melbourne are also delightful

:kimchi:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Taeke posted:

Wasps get into your personal space a bit too much but on the plus side they look loving awesome so I'm generally not too bothered. Just chill and gently fan/move them away so they don't feel threatened and they'll move on. They'll only sting you if you're panicking and aggressive but like, if a giant started jumping around trying to kill me I wouldn't be too kind either so I can't blame them. They're like gently caress you, you got all this good stuff and won't miss the tiny amount I need so just let me have some of it and I'm like, yeah, fair actually, and I know I'm a giant threat so lemme just be a bit mindful of that and not make you feel like you're in danger.

Bees are chill bros who just fly up, don't get too close, sample wharever flower or sweet you have nearby and when they notice you they're like poo poo, my bad, lemme get out of your space. Which is super cool of them.

Bumblebees are doofuses who don't look where they're going so they bump into you and they don't seem to have the space of mind to even apologise, they'll just move on to the next thing without even so much as an acknowledgement. On the plus side, they'll just as easily keep you company sampling that sweet nectar of the flower right next to you while humming that jazzy buzz.

They're all cool as gently caress.

The real assholes are mosquitoes and flies.
I feel I need to differentiate between yellowjackets and wasps. wasps are usually chill unless you mess with their nests. yellowjackets are ALWAYS assholes

like I let this invasive european hornet, crawl all over my hand and it was very chill and inquisitive and not hostile and let me gently let it go by poking it off my hand outside the window

meanwhile I have had countless stings from yellowjackets out of nowhere because they are just aggro little shitheads at all times

Captain Hygiene posted:

I was confused for a second why people weren't naturally repulsed enough by possums to stay away from them at all costs, then I remembered Australia inexplicably got the adorable version and we got stuck with the dumb garbage ones :sigh:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
a sixer is too nice for this heresy

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

You could've put something for scale in the pic.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Australian possums are sweet and gentle like little furry big eyed angels, too beautiful for this world.

New Zealand possums are huge and stupid and eat the eggs of all our birds and make an urrrrhhhhhhhhhh noise like an 80yo guy named Derek who still smokes a pack a day and one of them used to hang by his tail outside our living room window and watch shorty street with a look of pure pig ignorant malice on his dumb fat face

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

There's no way an animal that can hang from its tail is all bad. I refuse to believe it, in fact.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Biplane posted:

There's no way an animal that can hang from its tail is all bad. I refuse to believe it, in fact.

Ah, back to David Carradine.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

sebmojo posted:

Australian possums are sweet and gentle like little furry big eyed angels, too beautiful for this world.

Lets see how you feel about that after they've been loving in your roof every night for the last 3 weeks and you've been unable to sleep.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

NZ possums and Aussie possums are the same animal :ssh:

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

No they're not. The accents are completely different.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Inceltown posted:

No they're not. The accents are completely different.

One's like, "where's the car." And the other's like, "where's the car"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Tree Bucket posted:

One's like, "where's the car." And the other's like, "where's the car"

While American possums are like 'dude, where's my car?'

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

NZ possums and Aussie possums are the same animal :ssh:

Kiwis very stupidly introduced them in the nineteenth century.

Aotearoa’s only native mammals are bats.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

It's not Aus vs. NZ, it's just sebmojo's natural mutagenic field making the possum goonier

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

How can anyone hate this?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

a m a l g a m a t i o n

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Platystemon posted:

that owns

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Platystemon posted:

This is actually what Hesekiel saw.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I'm against the existence of birds.

Go get 'em possums.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Takes No Damage posted:

Realizing they started too high and just drawing over the eyes/nose is a :lol: from me:

Kwyndig posted:

Backne tiger

CzarChasm posted:

Tiger Tiger, greasy, cracked
Amongst the blackheads of the back.
What shaky hand, or lazy eye,
could paint thy odd asymmetry?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Platystemon posted:

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

i used to be weirded out by US possums until one night when i was lazily walking a trash bag out to my garbage can and i spotted a possum lazily walking in the direction of the trash can. i stopped in place for like 45 seconds and stared at him and he did the same. then i started backing up and he turned around and walked away from the can same as me.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

I've had possums stare me down while coming home at night. It's like, I'm in a 3000lb vehicle, you will not win this...okay, I'll go around you, whatever.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Possums fall asleep when faced with adversity and thats inspiring to me

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

My spirit animal.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Marcade posted:

I've had possums stare me down while coming home at night. It's like, I'm in a 3000lb vehicle, you will not win this...okay, I'll go around you, whatever.

Hihohe posted:

Possums fall asleep when faced with adversity and thats inspiring to me

The sum total of their defensive strategies is pretty much:
1. Hiss
2. Collapse
They can bite, obviously. But a lot of the time they just... don't. They are extremely strange and awkward, and not really good at anything, which is pretty relatable.

They also apparently resent skunks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_tL5R8lIL0

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

That DICK! posted:

i used to be weirded out by US possums until one night when i was lazily walking a trash bag out to my garbage can and i spotted a possum lazily walking in the direction of the trash can. i stopped in place for like 45 seconds and stared at him and he did the same. then i started backing up and he turned around and walked away from the can same as me.

My friend, I think you found a mirror.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Marcade posted:

My spirit animal.

Real question: why are mashed pobabo better thabbjjsut ??

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Real question: why are mashed pobabo better thabbjjsut ??

What are they hiding from us

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Biplane posted:

What are they hiding from us

Hyber Var.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Because they have salt, pepepr, fork, and botter and are NOT A RAW

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Possums rule, why else would their name rhyme with "awesome" :colbert:

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Inceltown posted:

My friend, I think you found a mirror.

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

Platystemon posted:

does that opossum have a rat tail mustache

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Jabberlock posted:

we can't see your mirror

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Jabberlock posted:

jabberlock (crying) opossum what is that on your face

opossum (on speakerphone) I am the worm

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Dameius posted:

jabberlock (crying) opossum what is that on your face

opossum (on speakerphone) I am the worm

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

We have opossums in the area and one night I opened the back door and smacked one right in the face. It didn't hiss, it didn't play dead, it just shook it off and walked away. It didn't even run. I felt lowkey insulted by that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

big mean giraffe posted:

They will literally give anyone a license to drive a car won't they

Grassy Knowles posted:

It’s harder to keep a forums account than a drivers license