Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Virigoth posted:

I almost forgot how mad Taco Bell surging pricing made me. Thanks.

lol you made me google it and there's a recent article about it that makes me think we're going to see this poo poo everywhere

https://www.restaurantbusinessonline.com/financing/thinking-about-dynamic-pricing-tread-carefully

quote:

Earlier this month, according to the New York Times, the U.K. pub company Stonegate said it would charge more for a pint of beer at 800 of its 4,000 pubs during times when they’re busiest.

The practice, known as dynamic pricing or “surge pricing,” is a growing phenomenon, not just in the U.K. but in the U.S. And many expect it to grow in popularity in the coming years, thanks largely to technology.

“It’s a huge, ethical battle internally at Dog Haus,” CJ Ramirez, EVP of marketing with the hot dog chain, said on Friday at the conference.

Restaurants have been doing this in some form for years. In 1979, for instance, a Taco John’s operator in Minnesota lowered the price of his tacos on Tuesdays, a day that was otherwise slow.

“We would have to put digital menu boards in every store,” Scott Scherer, chief information officer for Jersey Mike’s, said at FSTEC. “It would be quite expensive.”

"dynamic pricing" :thumbsup: also yeah its totally the same thing as offering a discount on certain days gently caress you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
The invisible hand of the free market is jerking off.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

AARD VARKMAN posted:

lol you made me google it and there's a recent article about it that makes me think we're going to see this poo poo everywhere

https://www.restaurantbusinessonline.com/financing/thinking-about-dynamic-pricing-tread-carefully

"dynamic pricing" :thumbsup: also yeah its totally the same thing as offering a discount on certain days gently caress you

How loving dare they equate the holiest of days, Taco Tuesday, with this price-gouging bullshit. gently caress them to absolute death.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
I don't like menus on the phone but I LOVE being able to pay from my phone and go. Tradeoff is worth it imo.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Restaurants started as establishments for the rich and they will end as establishments for the rich. Nearly every aspect of middle/lower middle class western life will disappear as the proletariat and lumpenproletariat become one.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I ended up at McDonald's the other day, but we had a bike and the dog with us and the only way to see a menu was to download their app and then give them your location. OK the veggie wraps were reduced to £2 each and we ordered through Google pay, which was nice, but good lord that thing spams your phone hard if you don't shut it down. "come get a 99p big mac" "if you order a chicken burger we'll give you extra points!" "have you been to McDonald's today???"

Maybe if there was a way to tell it I was vegetarian I would have let it spam me a little more before uninstalling it, but I guess they don't want my data after all.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Good risings 99p Big Mac queen?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Woolie Wool posted:

Restaurants started as establishments for the rich and they will end as establishments for the rich.

Bourdain said "Historically, cooks were slaves." As a cook, I think about this a lot.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Animal-Mother posted:

Bourdain said "Historically, cooks were slaves." As a cook, I think about this a lot.

They weren't exactly slaves since you didn't do such things to white Christians in eighteenth century France, but most of the early restaurateurs and chefs were domestic servants who went into business for themselves when their masters ended up becoming a head shorter during the Revolution, selling the experience of being a lord for an hour to the bourgeoisie.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Woolie Wool posted:

Restaurants started as establishments for the rich and they will end as establishments for the rich. Nearly every aspect of middle/lower middle class western life will disappear as the proletariat and lumpenproletariat become one.

Gamers rise up

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Woolie Wool posted:

They weren't exactly slaves since you didn't do such things to white Christians in eighteenth century France, but most of the early restaurateurs and chefs were domestic servants who went into business for themselves when their masters ended up becoming a head shorter during the Revolution, selling the experience of being a lord for an hour to the bourgeoisie.
Ah, ye olde "is an indentured servant/wage worker a slave or not?" semantics

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Animal-Mother posted:

That's also how to determine if something's meant to be a tipped position in the west. Was it the duties of a servant? Toss them a pittance

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
dudes, inns and taverns served food for a long time, since like 900 ad. and i can immediately find poo poo online about food serving and restaurant culture in ancient china so respectfully - this seems like a very reductive eurocentric view that, hilariously, in its own way serves to erase all the free labor women of the households did for forever before that.

the first cooks who cooked en masse weren't slaves, they were wives.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

StrangersInTheNight posted:

weren't slaves, they were wives.

Hmmmm. Hmmmm.

I don’t know if that has been much of a distinction at some time periods

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Woolie Wool posted:

Huh. I knew about Escoffier but I hadn't thought about what must've preceded him.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

Ah, ye olde "is an indentured servant/wage worker a slave or not?" semantics

Freedom under feudalism was way more complicated than the simple free/slave binary of bourgeois society. Nearly everybody except for high lords and urban merchants (literal bourgeois, from the bourg, where feudal land poo poo did not apply) owed legal and social obligations to a higher person. Even knights were not considered truly free, to be a knight was to be "somebody's man".

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Woolie Wool posted:

Freedom under feudalism was way more complicated than the simple free/slave binary of bourgeois society. Nearly everybody except for high lords and urban merchants (literal bourgeois, from the bourg, where feudal land poo poo did not apply) owed legal and social obligations to a higher person. Even knights were not considered truly free, to be a knight was to be "somebody's man".
It's a joke about the social scaffolding that allows slavery as a term to only be applicable to the absolute worst possible versions-- chattel, primarily-- in lieu of the many functional forms that most of us exist under in contemporaneous society.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

It's a joke about the social scaffolding that allows slavery as a term to only be applicable to the absolute worst possible versions-- chattel, primarily-- in lieu of the many functional forms that most of us exist under in contemporaneous society.

Still not the same because what makes a slave a slave isn't compulsion to work but being socially dead--they have no rights or claims against their owners, they could not own property or undertake any kind of independent action, they have no social or familial ties that any non-slave is bound to respect. In that sense prison laborers are arguably slaves, but wage workers, however terrible their conditions, are not. Likewise a pampered Greek tutor in a Roman household might have been more materially comfortable than a proletarius but the prole was free and he was a slave--his "possessions" could be taken back my his master on a whim, he could and probably would be raped whenever the master felt like it, he could be sold to the mines, etc. Orlando Patterson has a great book about this called Slavery and Social Death which should be taught in every college sociology class.

(Using male pronouns here because women add another layer of complexity to the question of premodern freedom that I am not well versed in)

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 2, 2023

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
ok thank you for the perspectives but I think we should leave the discussion of the various types and degrees of slavery behind and go back to bitching about dumb poo poo

Jerkhammer
Mar 18, 2007
Has YouTube suddenly got worse for anyone else? I've been looking around and haven't seen anyone else complaining.

The past few days, YT has dimmed and mottled any human speech in any video I watch with my headphones on. (If I disconnect my headphones and use external speakers, it works AOK, but I'd rather not disturb others.)

Anything else I do, whether it be videos off other websites, off my HDD, MP3s, games, streams or whatever, sounds just fine (with or w/o headphones). It's just YT suddenly gone off?
Note: I usually use ABP; I've tried turning it off, and even running private/incognito (Firefox/Chrome), I've got the same problem either way:shrug:

Also: If I'm in entirely the wrong thread, I'd love to be pointed to the right one:love:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Every week YT adds something horrible

It’s maybe the worst app

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Biplane posted:

too late, youre the phone remote guy now
Could be worse. Wait till you hear how this one goon pronounces "chowder."

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
I've had a problem with YouTube Bluetooth audio being skippy and bad the last 2 days. Over earbuds, specifically .I figured it was some kind of bad network setting. Good to know!

Jerkhammer
Mar 18, 2007
I wasn't even referring to the app, just youtube.com :corsair:

But; thanks for telling me I'm not the only one, at least.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I know this is probably blasphemous around these parts, but there was a time when Instagram was kind of the perfect social media app. No ads, no algorithmic feed dictating what you see, just a nice little neat and simple stream you could open a few times a day and see quick little snapshots of people's lives without all the added weight. It was also a good way to follow updates on things you are interested in, again, without the clutter of Facebook. It grew to be more than just "here's a selfie of me every day" and was a good way to create an account to share your own hobbies and interests as well.

Then they actually made it a pretty good photo editing and hosting app, and I liked to use it to share my photography. The hashtag function actually got my stuff seen by more than the people who already follow me.

Well, at some point within the last few months they basically killed the hashtag function. You used to be able to tap on any hashtag and it would take you to a page of every post tagged with that hashtag and you could sort by "Top" or "Most Recent". Well, now, doing this only shows you a small selection of "Top" posts. So now it is very difficult for your stuff to get "discovered" if you aren't already. Or say for example you want to see other posts from an event you just attended... you no longer can.

But probably the worst is the ads (of course). Once completely ad free, then ads crept in more and more, now literally 1/3rd of everything you see is an ad or sponsored post. Instagram has to be one of the finest examples of enshitification.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

dudes, inns and taverns served food for a long time, since like 900 ad. and i can immediately find poo poo online about food serving and restaurant culture in ancient china so respectfully - this seems like a very reductive eurocentric view that, hilariously, in its own way serves to erase all the free labor women of the households did for forever before that.

Inns are for staying at while traveling. Taverns are for getting drunk in. Restaurants are for eating. Hope this helps!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

but where does the pub fit into this taxonomy?

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

mind the walrus posted:

but where does the pub fit into this taxonomy?

The center of that Venne diagram...

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Well, at some point within the last few months they basically killed the hashtag function. You used to be able to tap on any hashtag and it would take you to a page of every post tagged with that hashtag and you could sort by "Top" or "Most Recent". Well, now, doing this only shows you a small selection of "Top" posts. So now it is very difficult for your stuff to get "discovered" if you aren't already. Or say for example you want to see other posts from an event you just attended... you no longer can.

But probably the worst is the ads (of course). Once completely ad free, then ads crept in more and more, now literally 1/3rd of everything you see is an ad or sponsored post. Instagram has to be one of the finest examples of enshitification.

I started using it for weird foreign food last year and barely ever open it anymore because of this. I really miss being able to specifically view just reels of a hashtag :rip:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Install sensors that monitor a customers' hunger level to charge accordingly.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Imagine waiting in line at Subway as the guy in front of you orders 5 subs off a list on his phone and when they finally start your sub you look up and it's a dollar more.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Imagine waiting in line at Subway as the guy in front of you orders 5 subs off a list on his phone and when they finally start your sub you look up and it's a dollar more.

I think we can all agree it brings tears to our eyes to be able to be part of such a great nation.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I think "the restaurant" as an institutional form can be pretty clearly separated from the history of food service in general, much like fast food joints had precedents in ancient Rome (and likely other ancient urban societies we have less documentation of) but the fast food joint qua fast food joint has a pretty clear origin in the United States. The modern restaurant with the service staff and rituals involved is very much a Eurocentric thing that started out selling a commodified version of a European aristocratic dinner where the staff treated you like a feudal lord. If the dynastic Chinese model had spread throughout the world rather than the early modern French model, formal restaurants would be very different places.

On topic: earlier this week I was taking a Lyft ride and the driver was led by GPS on a detour and I got charged about $6 more than the promised fare. Imagine if we had something like Uber or Lyft, but the drivers were actually trained to know their way around town without having to mindlessly follow a line on their phone. You know, like a taxi driver.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Nov 3, 2023

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Woolie Wool posted:

I think "the restaurant" as an institutional form can be pretty clearly separated from the history of food service in general, much like fast food joints had precedents in ancient Rome (and likely other ancient urban societies we have less documentation of) but the fast food joint qua fast food joint has a pretty clear origin in the United States. The modern restaurant with the service staff and rituals involved is very much a Eurocentric thing that started out selling a commodified version of a European aristocratic dinner where the staff treated you like a feudal lord. If the dynastic Chinese model had spread throughout the world rather than the early modern French model, formal restaurants would be very different places.

On topic: earlier this week I was taking a Lyft ride and the driver was led by GPS on a detour and I got charged about $6 more than the promised fare. Imagine if we had something like Uber or Lyft, but the drivers were actually trained to know their way around town without having to mindlessly follow a line on their phone. You know, like a taxi driver.

Yeah but Taxi Medallions are one of the most inequitable and scummy things currently allowed by local government. Pre-Uber, most cab drivers were effectively indentured servants who were slaved to their taxis for 16 hours a day for years and years and years while they paid off the medallion/taxi loan. They should raise the requirements of Uber drivers (and especially their cars :stare:) but the entire taxi cab business model in the US is hosed and should be dismantled.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Blue Moonlight posted:

It’s companies chasing that pandemic captive-audience high and poorly dealing with the fact that they’re just not getting that back - that’s why it’s happening fairly consistently across the industry.

Seriously, it's this. I briefly worked for a company that was uniquely positioned to make hells fukken bank off the pandemic, and for the three years after the start of the pandemic, they absolutely did. Sales targets were set way higher than any years previous, and the company still lapped them handily. However, when America got too embarrassed of acknowledging that COVID-19 is our microscopic Vietnam and the world "went back" to "normal," and we no longer had 320 million potential customers, including the US government and its boatloads of money, obviously expectations had to change as well.

Psyche! Sales targets remained exactly the same. No change at all. Rather than face reality--that we had an insanely lucrative three years and maybe the people who had to keep showing up to work throughout all that time might deserve something nice from that massive windfall. But obviously not. You know where this is going: cost-cutting measures and bonuses are cancelled! After the company's three most profitable years in a row.

Now I'm not saying Osama Bin Laden had a point...

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Vampire Panties posted:

They should raise the requirements of Uber drivers (and especially their cars :stare:)

I once got picked up in a Tesla Model X with the gullwing doors and everything and I have no idea how someone who drives Lyft could afford one or why anyone who could afford one would drive Lyft.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

AARD VARKMAN posted:

ok thank you for the perspectives but I think we should leave the discussion of the various types and degrees of slavery behind and go back to bitching about dumb poo poo

George Washington's beloved chef was a slave and he freed himself, aka ran off. He was famous as gently caress and made amazing food. But he traded that for a life in free obscurity. After he was gone a foreign visitor at Mt Vernon tried to engage his young daughter in conversation, "Don't you miss your daddy??" And her response, the response of a kid less than 10 years of age, was essentially "No, I'm glad my Dad freed himself, and gently caress you."

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

anonumos posted:

Because the rate of profit tends to fall, they have to resort to more extreme measures to keep it from doing so. They're fighting against economic entropy. We've accepted an economic system that does not favor stability, steady growth, or "just" good profits.

I would say this was unsustainable, but it depends on the amount of energy spent propping up the system.

So stable it'll last 'til the end of human history!

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Red posted:

I have Amazon Prime, just because it's convenient to regularly ship certain necessities to the house instead of going out. I started regularly choosing the delayed delivery date for Prime Day, because I'd get a Prime Video credit for doing so.

Now, those credits aren't available anymore. Furthermore, most of the Prime Video movies I had on my 'to buy' list have all seen significant price hikes - nothing is under $12.99. Previously, there were $4.99 to $9.99 movies peppered in.

Were too many people buying cheap movies?

No. Not enough people were buying expensive ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

I once got picked up in a Tesla Model X with the gullwing doors and everything and I have no idea how someone who drives Lyft could afford one or why anyone who could afford one would drive Lyft.

I had the exact same response when a friend told me this happened to them.