Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

This week's episode was them very clearly hitting a wall because aside from a couple of cuts it was pretty rough all around

Yeah. The episode with framerate issues being the one that talks about how many FPS you get in animation is at least a little ironic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

For all the fuss the story has made over sorcerer families and their inherited powers, the only two Zen'ins we've seen with the same ability are the super strength ones that everyone looks down on.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Brutal Garcon posted:

For all the fuss the story has made over sorcerer families and their inherited powers, the only two Zen'ins we've seen with the same ability are the super strength ones that everyone looks down on.

Well yeah, it's kind of the point. Every family wants to perpetuate their strongest abilities, they also have no way to. What ability a person is born with is entirely down to luck, even inside the same families. The Zen'ins would really like more Ten Shadows users, but only Fushiguro got that one. The Gojos probably would love having a million Satorus born with power far beyond any other living being, but there's just the one. It makes them highly valuable inside their own family even when they'd rather not be. Meanwhile, people that would want to be accepted by their families may be put on a lower position or kicked out because they weren't born with a good ability, or worse, were born with no Cursed Energy like Maki and Toji (with the extra irony that removing Toji from the Zen'in also meant they lost their chance at Ten Shadows from Toji's own son, something they had no way to predict because, again, Cursed Abilities are a RNGfest).

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

Blockhouse posted:

This week's episode was them very clearly hitting a wall because aside from a couple of cuts it was pretty rough all around

Yeah, I just caught up and there was a very noticeable drop in animation quality in this episode. It's especially jarring because everything up until now has been nothing short of excellent amongst the best in industry.
I really hope it wasn't just front loading until they got crushed by deadlines, that's incredibly painful and strictly the fault of management.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

The junk collector posted:

Yeah, I just caught up and there was a very noticeable drop in animation quality in this episode. It's especially jarring because everything up until now has been nothing short of excellent amongst the best in industry.
I really hope it wasn't just front loading until they got crushed by deadlines, that's incredibly painful and strictly the fault of management.

Everything looked good but also stiff and flat. I feel like this episode looked like EVERY episode of Hells Paradise and/or the really strange shots of Geto when he was having his breakdown.

Those poor animators

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Cedilla posted:

Sorry, can you elaborate a bit?

I'm a Sakuga Blog reader too!
I didn't want to spoil the episode nor to sour anyone's view beforehand, but I found it pretty ironic that the post that forewarns about production issues came right before an episode that showcased these issues.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I keep expecting a team to splinter off of MAPPA like they originally split off from Madhouse, and then I remember that Maruyama's new studio is heading up Pluto, so that's actually happened already

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yikes, last week's episode vs. this week's episode sure is night and day in terms of animation quality. drat.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Probably the most brutal episode yet. Jogo roasted those 3 so fast.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

We're really on the quality roller coaster now. Last week felt like a slide show of panels from the manga, this week felt like they went back to a similar quality (though not the same) as the choso fight. Lots of cool stuff put in to bring the series to life.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Anyone know the animation principle behind the screen getting a dark tint over it in some action sequences? Is it like "well this animation is kinda good but may look rough lets hide it a bit"?

This episode was loving brutal (in terms of plot happenings)

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
no it's Japanese anti seizure law because porygon killed those kids

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

Jerkface posted:

Anyone know the animation principle behind the screen getting a dark tint over it in some action sequences? Is it like "well this animation is kinda good but may look rough lets hide it a bit"?

This episode was loving brutal (in terms of plot happenings)

I think the darkening is some kind of epilepsy mitigation that started after an incident with the pokemon show.

quote:

The Harding test for content that now airs on Japanese TV and streaming sites ensures no more than one flashing light occurs every 10 frames, reproduced at 29.97 FPS, where "flashing lights" are classified as extreme changes in colors from one frame to the next. Footage may either clear or fail checks, or "pass with a warning" in which case the video's luminance is automatically adjusted to mitigate potential effects.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

thanks, i hate it!

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

bit annoying they decided to make this episode only 5 minutes long

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Looks like this thread can no longer diasagree that Nanami is very hot.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Electric Phantasm posted:

Booooo.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

:rimshot:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Stupid sexy nanami

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i love toji

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
They did a remarkably good job of making him an "oh poo poo" character in a very short amount of time.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

You must die

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.

ninjewtsu posted:

i love toji

Toji succeeds in a way that this style of character typically doesn't for me in an anime series -- He and Sukuna both have such a threatening aura that actually works to an extent on you, the viewer, in addition to all the characters on screen. Even though the animation the last 2 episodes has been kinda eh compared to the rest of the show, I think they totally nailed the beats in this one.

Toji actually puts a tingle in my spine every time he shows up, and I love him for it.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
This episode was a very matter of fact reminder that uh...yeah, Gojo was so fuckin busted that he made people at this level look like complete chumps. Without him around....fuckin hell.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Maki and Toji have the same thing going on to different degrees, right? What is she, like a 50% Toji? Maybe 25%?

although I imagine fighting experience is also a big part of why he's an absolute nightmare and she's just regular scary

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

OnimaruXLR posted:

Maki and Toji have the same thing going on to different degrees, right? What is she, like a 50% Toji? Maybe 25%?

although I imagine fighting experience is also a big part of why he's an absolute nightmare and she's just regular scary

Yes, they have the same thing going on but Maki can't see curses without her glasses, while Toji could.

And Mechamaru was the opposite, in that his body had immense cursed energy but was so fragile that even wind on his bare skin was excruciatingly painful.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I do not need an old lady telling me about character motivations and mechanics.

The show would be better if you just kept everything the same and just had nothing in her place.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Narrators own

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Oh Snapple! posted:

Narrators own

Funny narrators are pretty good. This one not so much.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Oh Snapple! posted:

Narrators own

The only thing this narrator is doing is explaining things I can infer on my own.

Or worse just straight up explaining things that would be way more interesting to figure out on my own.

When it's the Kagyuya narrator who is a character in their own right, no problem. Here it achieves less than what silence would.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

OnimaruXLR posted:

Yeah, it's a Heavenly Restriction that trades your capability to interact with cursed energy for increased physical abilities, and with her being the second Zen'in with it in as many generations, implies it's a trait that sporadically reoccurs in the family.

Toji was the rare (and perhaps entirely unique) peak expression of it, being completely removed from cursed energy, since if people on his level historically popped up more often it'd have likely grown to be considered as valuable as Megumi's Ten Shadows.

Maki would've still been told to stay in the kitchen, though.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Schubalts posted:

Yes, they have the same thing going on but Maki can't see curses without her glasses, while Toji could.

And Mechamaru was the opposite, in that his body had immense cursed energy but was so fragile that even wind on his bare skin was excruciatingly painful.

To be exact her CE is that of a normal person, while Toji has zero.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Natural 20 posted:

The only thing this narrator is doing is explaining things I can infer on my own

Did you figure out how Toji was a glitch on your own.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

this cracked me up, a mix between extremely unimpressed and confusion over what the hell that geezer was even hoping to accomplish

yum fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Nov 3, 2023

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
What's the time slot for this in Japan because 11 fingerings in one episode seems like a lot

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Today's the day boys

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Taima posted:

Today's the day boys

And it loving delivered

Jesus Christ

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Man some of my favorite scenes this episode. Jogo's talk with Sukuna is really good.

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.
This entire episode is loving incredible, hoooooly poo poo. Sukuna has more than that dog in him, he's got the whole fuckin pound

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

And it loving delivered

Jesus Christ