Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i replayed dear esther after i played a machine for pigs to see if dear esther was way dumber than i remembered and was pleasantly surprised that it's, kinda unimpressive but perfectly okay at what it's doing still

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the way dear esther’s narrator begins to mix his metaphors in a delirious fugue is still one of the most impressive bits of writing I’ve seen in a game even if it stretches the definition of the medium to its limit

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I do love Dear Esther, but it's not really a game so if someone's not into the story and atmosphere there really isn't anything for them to grab onto. Plus it's more classical gothic than horror.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

dear asster

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I've been playing Homebody.

I bought it because I thought it was gonna be a pretty standard plot about a bunch of friends in a house but oh no a killer is about and also you're in a timeloop, what a weird thing! There'll be a dramatic finale where you find out maybe one of your friends was the killer? Schlocky but fun horror game, I was thinking.

And then I played it and uhhhh things went a little differently.

One of the easiest, or at least most clearly defined course of action, is escaping the house. And Im not spoiling it because there is, I think, one trophy that isn't hidden, and its "Escape the house for the first time" When you do so, you're greeted with infinite fields of pink...ribbons? brains? The moon looks impossibly large above you, and you are paralyzed to the spot as the killer strikes you down.. Then things get really weird.

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023
how do you let your main running animation be that bad? they couldn't pay someone a day of animation work to get something that looks passable?

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

the way dear esther’s narrator begins to mix his metaphors in a delirious fugue is still one of the most impressive bits of writing I’ve seen in a game even if it stretches the definition of the medium to its limit

Dan Pinchbeck has a particular talent for replicating that particular type of broken syntax and obsessive repetition produced by disordered thinking. Aside from Dear Esther and a few diary entries in A:MFP, the only other time he really brought it out to shine in was in Korsakovia. The mod itself isn't really playable these days, but TCR put the script up for download.

Come to think of it, Korsakovia had an interesting conceit I don't think I've seen any other horror game replicate. The game starts with the main character, Christopher, having been institutionalized with severe delusions. All the gameplay takes place in Christopher's apocalyptic fantasy delusion, while his interactions with his psychiatrist in the real work take the form of voiceover along with his internal monologue. However, the game never leaves the perspective of the delusion, creating this tension where you're walking around this world you know as a player is "fake", while being barred from ever seeing the "real world" outside of Christopher's head. Naturally, all this compounded as the game progresses and Christopher starts incorporating his psychiatrist into his delusional reality as another character.

The game was mostly a jumping puzzle in the Source engine, so it was never much fun at the best of times, and engine updates kept breaking it, but I'm still disappointed TCR decided to abandon it. It was a very interesting idea.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Oh, just remembered Golden Light. That was a fun game, although I think I didn't play it the way the dev intended since I just ran through it smoking anything that moved, consequences of the meat dungeon getting mad at me be damned

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Just in case anyone doesn't have these:

Hidden Deep
QGTE*-NRBLI-ZHE**I
*four
**eight

8one6 fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Nov 4, 2023

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

8one6 posted:

Moons of Madness

Got this one, thank you!

I adored Secret World, but I never checked MoM out!

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Nov 4, 2023

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

8one6 posted:

Hidden Deep
QGTE*-NRBLI-ZHE**I
*four
**eight

Tormented Souls
MJZF*-9**GNP-JL*CW
*three
**nine

Moons of Madness
BRZ*A-BIQ8**-YQLCL
*two
**seven

I took Tormented Souls, thanks!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/crab_meats/status/1720478194728374680?t=DiFdHPVnK8d2QiTE6KCj8g&s=19

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I finally got around to playing LobCorp because a friend gave me a Steam key. I'm enjoying it a lot, though it probably helps that I went in knowing I'd be losing runs to Unforeseeable HorseshitTM and that there'd be a trial-and-error learning process, e.g. Rimworld or Dorfort.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/JNavok/status/1720629912703254729

this dude is so loving proud of the its trauma sticker

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Endorph posted:

https://twitter.com/JNavok/status/1720629912703254729

this dude is so loving proud of the its trauma sticker

Rightly so, it's one of the funniest things about this whole farce

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/bobvids/status/1720858320213266677

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

highly doubtful that it's going to be Born From A Wish and I can't loving wait to see how they fumble this

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

quote:

but the way it’s worded makes it sound like pyramid head will be given an origin story and uhhhhh lol

“it’s pyramidin’ time”
-John P. Head

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

no one cared who I was until I put on the pyramid

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Oh it’s totally gonna be Pyramid Head and he’s totally gonna be a Bad Dad. I can’t wait.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

pyramid head is sad about his dead daughter

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Can't wait for the "Assault a Mannequin" QTE scene

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

it's the engine block on harry's suv, twisted by rage and despair at its abandonment

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

when someone cheats at a rubik's cube by peeling off the stickers and moving them into the complete formation, a pyramid head is born

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Gonna find Pyramid Head’s childhood diary / a ghostly in-game sequence where he’s a kid in the corner of a room while his parents argue (father does a murder/suicide?) Let’s fuckin go.

Were it that I cared enough to put together an official Bloober Cliche bingo card.

I kind of hit the far limits of patience with AW2’s gunplay on the amusement park; as a survival horror game it’s not bad but it’s not very good either. Combat with Saga is a chore and the free roam level design is not as good or weird or rewarding as Evil Within 2’s or even RE8’s. Also the sections immediately proceeding from that point, namely the bike garage, are where AW2 gets closest to the truly rote parts of AW1. I’m hoping the game is shorter in this regard than I’m expecting.

The Alan Wake half of the game so far, the dollar store Black Lodge stuff, fares better. Is it basically a Frictional / Bloober puzzle game in terms of gameplay? Yes, but the simple puzzle mechanics are presented in a visually interesting way, and they keep you moving through varied environments with a lot of production value put into them. Combat is almost wholly avoidable.

I haven’t switched back over to Wake’s half of the game from Saga’s past the point where you have the option, but I probably should; I’m hoping his sections remain mechanically distinct from Saga’s.

Also people talk mad poo poo abt Sam Barlow in here but as much as AW2 is an open pastiche of Twin Peaks the Return, I don’t believe Remedy would have the stones to go so hard into FMV in pursuit of it, had Barlow not spent the last decade or so rehabilitating it as a thing serious game developers can do. Were it that Remedy were as interested in experimenting with how games actually play.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Nov 4, 2023

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

i'll crush their tiny stupid heads

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

In AW2 I went through the first part of the second Wake section and I'm pretty disappointed by the musical number. In the first one the musical part was woven in with the gameplay, here it feels like I'm being led through a museum where I have to stand still and wait til the song is over and a wall moves to progress. If you were running through a level while it blazed around you then it would be better, but the stop and go play mixed with some parts being perplexingly hard to navigate (I'm currently entirely stuck on the second part where you have to put up a light) just make it kind of suck.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
alan wake 2 is a horror game and every great horror game's combat must suck rear end just a little bit

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

CharlestonJew posted:

highly doubtful that it's going to be Born From A Wish and I can't loving wait to see how they fumble this
The stupid Maria statue you can get for pre-ordering has a gun she can hold, which makes me think it is Born From A Wish. She doesnt do that in the main game does she? Maybe I'm forgetting

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Basic Chunnel posted:

Also people talk mad poo poo abt Sam Barlow in here but as much as AW2 is an open pastiche of Twin Peaks the Return, I don’t believe Remedy would have the stones to go so hard into FMV in pursuit of it, had Barlow not spent the last decade or so rehabilitating it as a thing serious game developers can do. Were it that Remedy were as interested in experimenting with how games actually play.

Remedy has been doing weird FMV poo poo since the original Alan Wake, I don't think their continuation of something they've been doing for over a decade has anything to do with Sam Barlow.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
they've also been into media-mixing from the very first max payne

barlow is in the same bin with david cage, in that his game development career seems to mostly be a pretext to sexually harass women

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Also why do people find that part of the musical section so hard to navigate when there are literally neon signs with arrows pointing what way to go

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

The stupid Maria statue you can get for pre-ordering has a gun she can hold, which makes me think it is Born From A Wish. She doesnt do that in the main game does she? Maybe I'm forgetting

I think they're going to integrate Born From A Wish into the main game, and the "special origin story" will be the dumbass Pyramid Head stuff

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The second half of Immortality was like watching someone with a 75 IQ try to write David Lynch. Sincerely embarrassing.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Basic Chunnel posted:

i just started replaying max payne 1 today and literally one of the first things they do in that game is make a joke with a fake in-universe live action tv show, maybe there's some camaraderie with sam barlow as a fellow horror game dev but i dont think they really needed him to inspire them here

also most corners of the industry that actually care about live action fmv and werent just participating in it as a fad never really stopped doing it in the first place. i feel like ironic fmv games were more of their own brief fad

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Sake Lake has specifically mentioned Sam Barlow as an inspiration in an interview about Alan Wake 2 though. You can do something first and still be inspired by people who come after you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twIZ5179Pns (it's the first question, "A game that Sam admires")

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

In AW2 I went through the first part of the second Wake section and I'm pretty disappointed by the musical number. In the first one the musical part was woven in with the gameplay, here it feels like I'm being led through a museum where I have to stand still and wait til the song is over and a wall moves to progress. If you were running through a level while it blazed around you then it would be better, but the stop and go play mixed with some parts being perplexingly hard to navigate (I'm currently entirely stuck on the second part where you have to put up a light) just make it kind of suck.

wtf. It was awesome.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

https://twitter.com/TimePirateNinja/status/1720878650180931822?t=830MjZ7VCY6WLpaqcZ6-ww&s=19

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'd still argue with the idea sam barlow "rehabilitated" live action fmv, he's a popular dev in the space but the serious live action fmv game space mostly existed before him too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Ibram Gaunt posted:

wtf. It was awesome.

Oh yeah I loved stopping the game dead in its tracks to watch an unskippable YouTube music video for 20 minutes that sounds like poo poo because it's looping every 30 seconds to indicate you can move to the next segment.