Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I need to see a human play through a game with those analogue sticks first. But if they release the rainbow color edition for $10 extra, I would still buy it and remove the analogue sticks myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
i dont even need a new device but if that miyoo mini releases with that cotton candy color scheme its an instant buy for me.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Cross-posting from SA-Mart. I'm selling my Odin Pro 128gb. It's got gulikit's hall-effect sticks already installed and I'm throwing in the 512gb microsd card I've already got sitting in it.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

just bought a miyoo mini plus in

when setting it up with Onion, can I put my roms on the SD card before first install, or would that mess everything up?

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

haunted bong posted:

just bought a miyoo mini plus in

when setting it up with Onion, can I put my roms on the SD card before first install, or would that mess everything up?

You can probably do it that way, I did the install first though so it made all the folders and everything first.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Man, I've had like four of these handhelds and the miyoo mini plus is the first one that feels like a complete device. The RP3+ got close but the MMP with the latest OnionOS is really fuckin polished. The game switcher is astoundingly good.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the pocket flip is great

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

bowmore posted:

the pocket flip is great
but what about the perpetually delayed miyoo mini flip?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

well i haven't tried it but if i had the extra money i'd still not buy it because the retroid flip is great

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Is this a relevant tool to use for grabbing box art?

https://github.com/ebzero/garlic-onion-skraper-mix

I know onionOS has a box art scraper built in but it's kinda slow when processing thousands of roms.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I got an Anbernic rg35xx (why are they named like this?) to take on vacation. It's really nice! Now I need to pick a game to play on the 14-hour flight.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The rg stand for 'retro game' and then the first two numbers are the screen size (3.5 inches in this case). The last digit is supposed to represent the chipset, but instead of representing the chip itself it just goes in ascending order when they make an upgrade so you don't know what's in the rg504, you just know its going to run better than the rg353

But then they rushed something out to compete with the miyoo mini and suddenly the numbering system didn't make sense anymore because it was significantly weaker hardware than the 3 series but it was newer so they just put xx so they can put something else there if they end up doing a follow-up

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Thanks, that honestly makes so much more sense.

I think I'll pick a GBA pokemon or Zelda Minish Cap. I never got to own a GBA.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I got an Anbernic rg35xx (why are they named like this?) to take on vacation. It's really nice! Now I need to pick a game to play on the 14-hour flight.

Any system or genre preferences, also using GarlicOS or MinUI?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

flavor.flv posted:

The rg stand for 'retro game' and then the first two numbers are the screen size (3.5 inches in this case). The last digit is supposed to represent the chipset, but instead of representing the chip itself it just goes in ascending order when they make an upgrade so you don't know what's in the rg504, you just know its going to run better than the rg353

But then they rushed something out to compete with the miyoo mini and suddenly the numbering system didn't make sense anymore because it was significantly weaker hardware than the 3 series but it was newer so they just put xx so they can put something else there if they end up doing a follow-up

They’re gonna get to zz real fast and wish they started at aa

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

drrockso20 posted:

Any system or genre preferences, also using GarlicOS or MinUI?

Garlic atm, but I could always change it. I was leaning toward GBA, and actually FFTA should be on the list too.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
Got my funkey s but the usb cable doesn’t work and apparently thats a known issue with the last batch. Gonna have to ship it back or get a replacement

It is very pretty though!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Garlic atm, but I could always change it. I was leaning toward GBA, and actually FFTA should be on the list too.

Astro Boy Omega Factor and Super Robot Wars J would be my nominations

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

WarioWare and, the 400lb gorilla of GBA emulation, Mother 3

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Is this a relevant tool to use for grabbing box art?

https://github.com/ebzero/garlic-onion-skraper-mix

I know onionOS has a box art scraper built in but it's kinda slow when processing thousands of roms.
If you mean using your PC to scrape box art for your game collection that you have sitting on your PC's hard drive, organized by system, there's https://www.skraper.net/, which you can set to grab box art, screenshots, logos, videos, or even make a collage of all of them

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I assume OP has a Miyoo Mini or Anbernic device and wants to scrape boxart from the device itself. The built-in scraper is kinda not good, at least on MM+; it takes a very long time and will miss a significant number of games.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Grassy Knowles posted:

They’re gonna get to zz real fast and wish they started at aa

xXx

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

They’re gonna get to ice cube real fast

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

drrockso20 posted:

Astro Boy Omega Factor and Super Robot Wars J would be my nominations

flavor.flv posted:

WarioWare and, the 400lb gorilla of GBA emulation, Mother 3

Oh, these look good. I should also add Advance Wars to the list. And maybe some ROM hacks.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Oh, these look good. I should also add Advance Wars to the list. And maybe some ROM hacks.

Metroid: Zero Mission and Metroid Fusion are both solid options. Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap. Zone of the Enders: The Fist of Mars if you like strategy RPGs and robots. Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga is another solid GBA option. The direct port of Sonic the Hedgehog 1 is hilariously garbage but the three Sonic Advance games are very solid options too. Advance Wars 1 and in particular 2 are very good options for killing time too.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Apotris is a good version of Tetris for GBA https://akouzoukos.com/apotris/

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
There should be more romhacks to add rumble to gb and gba games imo.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

For anyone with the RGB30, how is the battery situation? I'm reading some reports about it being weirdly finicky and not accepting charge due to the chipset drivers being weird sometimes.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Haven't had any problems here with the RGB30 battery. A lot of reports are stemming from a kernel workaround that forces the unit to power on while plugged in to manage charging, but it doesn't turn back off when unplugged, causing immediate discharge. The solution is to power it up normally after charging then shutdown, or power it on and then charge it in that state. Apparently this is caused by the dev teams failing to use the mainline kernel, though they're migrating slowly to that (whatever the gently caress that means). Also sleep mode totally doesn't work, as with pretty much all of the Rockchip devices, so the battery discharges too much while they're supposed to be in low power mode.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

im looking at getting one of these for a first time device, totally new to this scene. when it comes to the 405m, RP3+, RP2S, and RGB30, which is the one to get? the 3+ looks the most attractive to me because of its power and budget cost, along with being in widescreen which means support for native widescreen games without too much letterboxing, but it doesn't look the most portable and the select/start buttons being on top looks like it might get annoying. if I decide to go with one of the others, does the 2S beat out the 405m or are there certain differences that would point me to wanting one over the other? is the square screen on the RGB30 that big of an improvement? i thought most games ran at 4:3 so would i be dealing with black bars and overscan for most games, or is the tradeoff for the larger display area worth a lot more?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

STONE COLD 64 posted:

im looking at getting one of these for a first time device, totally new to this scene. when it comes to the 405m, RP3+, RP2S, and RGB30, which is the one to get? the 3+ looks the most attractive to me because of its power and budget cost, along with being in widescreen which means support for native widescreen games without too much letterboxing, but it doesn't look the most portable and the select/start buttons being on top looks like it might get annoying. if I decide to go with one of the others, does the 2S beat out the 405m or are there certain differences that would point me to wanting one over the other? is the square screen on the RGB30 that big of an improvement? i thought most games ran at 4:3 so would i be dealing with black bars and overscan for most games, or is the tradeoff for the larger display area worth a lot more?

I'd say the RGB30 is probably the best choice of those for someone new to the scene even if it is less powerful than the others

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The only widescreen system these things'll run most of the time is the PSP, so if that's important to you I'd say just get the RP3+ and have done. Otherwise I'd get the 2S or RGB30.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

imo the RP3+ is the best bet if you like the switch formfactor and don't wanna spend a bunch of money. But if you wanna go cheaper(say you only wanna emulate PSX/Dreamcast games), the viable market opens considerably.

That said, I'm looking forward to a pair of Flips for Christmas. That's really the winning form factor imo.

I need to do a complete wipe on my RP2+ no touchscreen since I screwed up my retroid install pretty badly so hmu if you wanna make an offer on it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
The big differences between them is definitely the screen first and foremost. If you don't mind most games having bars then go 3+ for its better chipset. If you hate bars on retro games like me then go 2S or 405m. The 405 has a bigger screen but the same resolution as the 2S, which also has good shoulder buttons, hall sticks and a fantastic d pad. Go with the 30 for the budget option if you don't mind kinda having some unused screen but want a bigger one. It's also rad as hell looking :shrug:

Ultimately, I have many of these and the 2S is my favorite. If they're that close in your opinion at the end of the day go with the one that has the prettiest colors.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

How is the 2s with ps2 emulation? is its compatibility similar to the 3+ ? like if i wanna play san andreas or the warriors would it be capable of that?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I would check behind me on Reddit (SBC Gaming) and their discord, but I think the 2S can run whatever the 3+ does at like 90-95% the frame rate but it relies on a lot of tweaking.

I look at PS2 as “not expected but nice if it works” and GameCube is getting slightly better than that with recent versions of Dolphin. Apparently Mario, Smash and Windwaker are pretty close to flawless on the 2S now.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

STONE COLD 64 posted:

How is the 2s with ps2 emulation? is its compatibility similar to the 3+ ? like if i wanna play san andreas or the warriors would it be capable of that?

Basically identical to the 3+ based off the compatibility I've seen, you'll get some RPGs and lighter stuff but absolutely not gonna be playing big action games.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

STONE COLD 64 posted:

The screen quality is a factor too. RGB30 has a 720p screen, so everything is insanely crisp and bright. Also the best thing about it is vertical arcade games

What you get is good screen space for 4:3, huge screen support for GB and other 1:1s like Pico 8, plus SNES in 8:7, plus tate arcade, means that it has the edge in several niche categories.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

If you want a more portable version of the RP3+, the Flip is only what, $20 more? Smaller than the 3+ when it's closed and it protects the screen and buttons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
The Flip is dope. I played through both PS2 Max Paynes on mine. The framerate on 1 can get iffy but 2 ran pretty well