Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Arivia posted:

Doesn’t steam/the steam deck provide remapping support for that? Like you can set buttons to be mouse/keyboard inputs?

Yes but :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
Oh, that reminds me: this isn't a game issue, per se, but I have an Xbox One Elite controller from back when I played xbox games. It has the 4 paddle buttons on the underside. They can be remapped freely, on xbox and PC, but only to buttons on the xbox controller. There is absolutely no way to have any of them press any keyboard key or mouse button, at least not one I could find. This is very annoying to someone who uses push-to-talk in games and Discord.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

DrBouvenstein posted:

All this GBA Castlevania talk just makes me realize how much I want to re-play the DS Castlevanias (yes, even Portrait of Ruin) but that would be, like, a $250-300 dollar investment to get a decent used 3DS or 2DS and used games.
What was wrong with Portrait of Ruin? I can remember quite liking it.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Roblo posted:

What was wrong with Portrait of Ruin? I can remember quite liking it.

Iirc it was pretty cool on its own but it’s sandwiched between Aria of Sorrow 2 and the one with the cool not-Miriam girl who can dual wield laser beams so I guess it doesn’t stand out as much. It did the thing that’s kinda perplexing that every Igavania doesn’t do and have your specials level based on use to, you know, encourage using them which was neat.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Last Celebration posted:

Iirc it was pretty cool on its own but it’s sandwiched between Aria of Sorrow 2 and the one with the cool not-Miriam girl who can dual wield laser beams so I guess it doesn’t stand out as much.

What's weird is that I've usually seen Portrait of Ruin fondly regarded and either Dawn of Sorrow or Order of Ecclesia treated as the "bad" game in the DS trinity (depending on if the person is hating the anime portraits or the shorter areas and higher difficulty).

Edit: I should clarify, I'm not calling any of them bad, and I loved all 3 of them at their launches.

Randalor has a new favorite as of 17:54 on Nov 2, 2023

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I've heard literally every DS game referred to as "the bad" one and every DS game referred to as "the good" one and every one as "the sleeper."

I think nearly 20 years on we can safely say that they're all good but you'll have a preference based on what each specific game offers. :unsmith:

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Things dragging Dawn of Sorrow down: they switched from Ayami Kojima doing the key art to some generic looking crap.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
I've always loved Aria of Sorrow and enjoyed the DS games, but watching this retrospective gave me a whole new appreciation for what the developers were struggling with while making those games. Low budgets, crazy expectations and insane deadlines galore!

It also makes sense that Iga was one of the few 'big' developers to make the jump to Kickstarter and not gently caress it up: the stress of dealing with crowdfunding backers must have been nothing compared to the wrath of an angry Konami boardroom...

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Given Konami's half-assed remasters of Metal Gear, and hilarious mishandling of Silent Hill, I'm not optimistic about the Suikoden release next year.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
It's actually just sudoku with a suikoden skin

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Kitfox88 posted:

It's actually just sudoku with a suikoden skin

If you put in the Konami code, the numbers go from 1-30

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I would like to play the early MGS games again (preferably on PS4) but I'm glad I held off on the new re-releases, as it apparently seems like they're not even worth half of the absurd PS store price. Are they basically just emulations of the originals with no bells and whistles or helpful options?

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
They came with the HD version of mgs3 that was released on the 360, if memory serves. 1, 2, 3, and peace walker. I remember playing some of 2 but not what the controls were like, but it looked and ran fine.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

The best mgs collection to date is the ps3 one.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Its a real shame they apparently hosed up the MGS collection, because the Castlevania and Contra ones were pretty solid overall.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Meowywitch posted:

The best mgs collection to date is the ps3 one.

Yeah what's the difference between that and the new one?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

DrBouvenstein posted:

All this GBA Castlevania talk just makes me realize how much I want to re-play the DS Castlevanias (yes, even Portrait of Ruin) but that would be, like, a $250-300 dollar investment to get a decent used 3DS or 2DS and used games.

You could just emulate them.

Nostradingus posted:

Things dragging Dawn of Sorrow down: they switched from Ayami Kojima doing the key art to some generic looking crap.

I've actually recently learned there's a weirdly big rom hacking scene for the GBA/DS castlevanias and not only is there a rom hack to replace the DoS art with Aria's; but there's also a hilariously fun randomizer for it that not only changes up the map and soul placements, but also even randomizes the weapons effects, animations and the game's dialogue.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

Cleretic posted:

I get that the gameplay hooks of Armored Core 6's New Game+ is part 'introduce all your new toys to the early-game enemies' and partly 'experiment with different loadouts'...

But both of them kinda fall flat when you're like me and have had basically the same build since midgame or so, and have had no reason to try anything else because it already does everything you could want it to. Why should I be interested in trying other loadouts when all those other loadouts are just worse for me?

I also thought this, until I switched to something else and it was even more fun and OP than my solid build.

As for other games, I tried The Surge 2 after someone mentioned it was sci-fi Dark Souls and wow what a lovely game. The controls are terrible no thank you.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

The Talos Principle 2 is 70 Goddamn Gigabytes

I mean, I've got the space, but what the gently caress

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I had to immediately turn down all my settings to get the thing to 30fps. Don't think it's optimized well at all

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
A Plague Tale: Innocence has a crafting mechanic that I kind of appreciate because you don't ever actually need to hunt for materials to craft anything, but if you do it makes things somewhat easier (ultimately the benefits just allow you to be less stealthy and account for inaccurate stone-slinging). Occasionally you will be required to craft something, but there is always exactly enough material immediately next to you so you can craft whatever you need for this single time you're going to use it.

What's annoying though, is that I'm engaging with the crafting system and its like seven different loving crafting materials, of which you can only carry so much, and the game frequently does this thing where, I have almost enough material to craft something that will let me carry more material: I have 9/10 leather, 10/10 crystals, 10/10 rags, 9/10 rocks, 9/10 glass beads. But I reach a point where a character will be like, "We can't go on until we blow open that wall. Here's a recipe for a new type of bomb. It requires you to have 10 out of 10 of every material, but fortunately, I have 10 of every type of material. Here you go!"

Of course he just fills up the two or three materials I hadn't yet scoured every nook of the game for, and I need to use it all immediately, right now, to proceed. The end result is I have a single use bomb and no loving materials left :mad:

credburn has a new favorite as of 06:50 on Nov 3, 2023

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

credburn posted:

Yeah what's the difference between that and the new one?

Nothing really. Although the new collection fixed some minor graphical bugs.

I dont understand why people keep saying the PS3 is the best one. Yes it has pressure sensitive controls but those are not good.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Counterpoint: it’s not really MGS3 unless you can accidentally stab a dude in the throat when you’re trying to interrogate him.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

JackSplater posted:

They came with the HD version of mgs3 that was released on the 360, if memory serves. 1, 2, 3, and peace walker. I remember playing some of 2 but not what the controls were like, but it looked and ran fine.

The HD collection from the 360/PS3 didn't include MGS1. It was 2, 3 & Peace Walker, also Metal Gear 1 & 2 from the MSX, since those are bundled with MGS3.
The new collection doesn't have Peace Walker, but it has MGS1, and Metal Gear 1 & Snake's Revenge from the NES, which have never been re-released until now.

The problem with the new collection is it's just no thrills ports for MGS2 & 3 taken from the HD collection. Running in 720p with no graphics improvements (in some cases looking a little worse, with bad AA and AF on Xbox and PC). And MGS1 is just emulated from the PS1 version.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
im playing horizon zero dawn and its a pretty good take on an ubisoft game with a bit of gameplay clutter but the egregious thing that bums me out about it is how much it feels like you should be able to climb on anything and you cant. i can kind of see how botw stole its thunder despite being very different games. did they ever improve on that with the sequel or nah?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

im playing horizon zero dawn and its a pretty good take on an ubisoft game with a bit of gameplay clutter but the egregious thing that bums me out about it is how much it feels like you should be able to climb on anything and you cant. i can kind of see how botw stole its thunder despite being very different games. did they ever improve on that with the sequel or nah?

they made it worse. turns out "you can climb anything you want" doesn't work so well in that engine

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
disappointing but im liking the story and characters enough to still check it out at some point maybe

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Veotax posted:

The HD collection from the 360/PS3 didn't include MGS1. It was 2, 3 & Peace Walker, also Metal Gear 1 & 2 from the MSX, since those are bundled with MGS3.
The new collection doesn't have Peace Walker, but it has MGS1, and Metal Gear 1 & Snake's Revenge from the NES, which have never been re-released until now.

The problem with the new collection is it's just no thrills ports for MGS2 & 3 taken from the HD collection. Running in 720p with no graphics improvements (in some cases looking a little worse, with bad AA and AF on Xbox and PC). And MGS1 is just emulated from the PS1 version.

Yeah, the 'problem' with the new collection isn't necessarily that there's anything wrong with the ports (although they could be better), and more that they're just ports, and at this point people expect 're-release of old game' to be an HD remaster with, like, revamped controls and updated textures even if nobody says that's what you're getting.

The kicker that I think a lot of people don't realize is that even with those problems, this is still the best way to play MGS2 and 3 on PC. Those games are huge bastards to emulate; MGS2 requires a lot of fiddling, and MGS3 has too many issues to really be completable. 'Just emulate it' doesn't really swing in this case, despite people feeling like it logically should: those games are over and very nearly twenty years old respectively, SURELY they can be emulated on a toaster at this point, right?

I blame Dolphin. They spike up the average of 3D console emulation so hard that we all sort of forget that every single other 3D console emulator is mediocre and 'might work for the game you wanna play if you're lucky' at best. I also think Twin Snakes might actually be problem-free as far as a whole emulated playthrough goes, which would increase the confusion there for people who don't realize the sort of effort that goes into emulation.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

I appreciate how sarcastic and direct Aloy can be but that's for the other thread, not this one. :v:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'd probably still buy the new MGS releases if I didn't have the PS3 HD versions. Actually kinda glad they don't offer much over those, or I'd be compelled to double up.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'd probably still buy the new MGS releases if I didn't have the PS3 HD versions. Actually kinda glad they don't offer much over those, or I'd be compelled to double up.

If you're a massive Metal Gear nerd, they might be worth picking up at some point for the special features. Full scripts of the MGS games, and translated versions of previously Japanese-only lore books. For me that at least puts them as a 'pick it up on sale sometime' purchase.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

disappointing but im liking the story and characters enough to still check it out at some point maybe

It’s still a really good game and worth your time. Not my time because mine is cataclysmically valuable but certainly worth your much less valuable time. I can only play the very best games because of the time thing.

In the Switch port of 2017s Japanese visual novel “which wife do I choose” Korakino’s blond hair changes from a dirty blond to a sandy blond and there’s no option for me to comment upon it. Inexcusable.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I finally finished Starfield. While I did feel a sense of satisfaction at the very it suffers from the classic Bethesda writing problem of not being smart enough for the Big Ideas it wants to present. Thankfully the Hunter and Emissary didn't go on the overly long monologues about existence that I'd feared they would.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Please check back in with your opinion of Ted Faro op

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Note that there is only one Correct opinion about faro with the only variance allowed being the level of said opinion

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I think there's not really any discourse over the fact that Ted Faro was right!

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

grittyreboot posted:

I finally finished Starfield. While I did feel a sense of satisfaction at the very it suffers from the classic Bethesda writing problem of not being smart enough for the Big Ideas it wants to present. Thankfully the Hunter and Emissary didn't go on the overly long monologues about existence that I'd feared they would.

It really felt like Starfield suffered more than most from Bethesdas unwillingness/inability to do cutscenes. I've only managed to get partway through before petering out, but even then a lot of supposedly pivotal moments just completely fell flat due to the most uninspired presentation ever. It seems almost afraid to linger on anything for more than a few minutes at a time in the name of "player freedom".

Oh, you've found an ancient heretofore unknown temple clearly created by a non-human precursor species that can grant you seemingly impossible powers? Well you just kinda walk through the door into a single room and do a little thing where you float through some gates and that's it. No real build-up, no staging, no narrative, it's basically on the level of any old Skyrim cave. Arguably worse, because those at least occasionally contained a neat secret side-story.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I hate the invisible enemies in Ghostwire Tokyo. i've only seen one so far and I'm happy that for the most part enemies don't respawn, but those and the snake things that tunnel through the ground are really unfun to fight. I'm on chapter 4 now.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

It's a super minor gripe because while the environments in The Talos Principle 2 are gorgeous, having to walk sometimes quite a distance through them and then backtrack is kinda a drag. At least on some of those walks you get some cool exposition and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

BioEnchanted posted:

I hate the invisible enemies in Ghostwire Tokyo. i've only seen one so far and I'm happy that for the most part enemies don't respawn, but those and the snake things that tunnel through the ground are really unfun to fight. I'm on chapter 4 now.

At least with the invisible ones, you can burn them down faster the stronger you get. The snake ones are garbage because they burrow for so long and you just gotta stand there and wait to do anything.