Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Would there have been a chance that he could have looked any better if he did the smart thing and not testify?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Arguably SBF would attempt more financial harm a free man so the altruistic thing to do is to keep him imprisoned.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Don't feel bad Sam. By going to prison forever, you're saving a gazillion trillion people from getting a mote of dust in their eyes.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Is it 110 years by the actual sentencing guidelines, or "110 years" by just adding up the potential sentences for each crime in isolation?

Unlucky7 posted:

Would there have been a chance that he could have looked any better if he did the smart thing and not testify?

I mean, any hypothetical is an excercise in wishgranting at some point, but probably not.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Neito posted:

Is it 110 years by the actual sentencing guidelines, or "110 years" by just adding up the potential sentences for each crime in isolation?

I mean, any hypothetical is an excercise in wishgranting at some point, but probably not.

I think it's adding the max to each count

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Wonder what Seraph thinks of this

I’m sure he’ll be here soon enough to let us know.

Also, lol

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
This is great for bitcoin. We can now focus on the not-fraud applications of the blockchain, such as

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Lmao that's extraordinarily fast

You might even say it's as if someone pulled the rug out from under him.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
:lol: SBF will be pinning his own weasel for a loooooong time

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Now he needs to appeal, double down on his defence, and walk away with even more prison time. It's how he ran FTX, so it'll work here!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Won't worry, he'll be the first Ramen and cigarette block chain billionaire prisoner.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

happyhippy posted:

Won't worry, he'll be the first Ramen and cigarette block chain billionaire prisoner.

Mackerel-chain Ross beat him to that

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

DerekSmartymans posted:

Mackerel-chain Ross beat him to that

No that wasn't Ross, that was someone else...maybe one of the Bruces (Brice?)

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
Shame Molly White didn’t cover the prosecution/SBF cross.

Why is sentencing going to take 4 months?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Boxturret posted:

No that wasn't Ross, that was someone else...maybe one of the Bruces (Brice?)

You’re telling me there is not only a free Ross, but multiple Bruces (Brucies?)

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Quotey posted:

She totally did?

quote:

There's lots of procedure to make everything official, there's time needed to prepare briefs from each side regarding sentencing, and it's not like other crimes aren't also happening constantly. Lots of other trials are already scheduled.

Plus, they need time to collect enough shrimp reserves for sam's eventual home.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Bruceii?

Brucen?

e: just learned that the proper scientific plural of Bruce is also Bruce, like the plural of moose

SatansOnion fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Nov 3, 2023

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Is SBF free to go home between now and March, or is he spending Christmas in jail before graduating to prison?

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

ullerrm posted:

Is SBF free to go home between now and March, or is he spending Christmas in jail before graduating to prison?

I'm sure his lawyers will make the argument, but with him being found super-mega guilty of 7 felonious charges I don't see how that's happening.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Him being out on bail yet continuing to do further crimes and forcing them to throw him in jail before the trail probably wouldn't help with his chances either.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

ashpanash posted:

I'm sure his lawyers will make the argument, but with 7 guilty verdicts I don't see how that's happening.

True, but it’s non-violent* crime, and I could totally see them remand him to home confinement until sentencing. “Get your shrimps in while you can.”

Disappointing, and I totally expect an escape attempt, but it’s probably what should happen.

*: Sir Terry Pratchett’s Pump-14 had opinions about the victims of financial crime.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Boxturret posted:

Him being out on bail yet continuing to do further crimes and forcing them to throw him in jail before the trail probably wouldn't help with his chances either.

Yeah you might say that in this whole process he's not exactly proven his trustworthiness

"We'll let you go for a bit Sam, we know you're good for it."

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
He’ll flee the Stanford campus into the redwood forests above it and live out the rest of his days as a mischievous sprite

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Just dropping in to say :lol:

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

ullerrm posted:

True, but it’s non-violent* crime, and I could totally see them remand him to home confinement until sentencing. “Get your shrimps in while you can.”

Disappointing, and I totally expect an escape attempt, but it’s probably what should happen.

*: Sir Terry Pratchett’s Pump-14 had opinions about the victims of financial crime.

I'd suspect with Internet restrictions tbh.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Neito posted:

Maximum possible sentence for each crime, ignoring sentencing guidelines, and if they were run sequentially instead of together. That would require large upward departures from guidelines.

4x: 18 U.S.C. § 1343: "Fraud by wire, radio, or television": No more than 20 years [(conspiracy, actually doing) x (against customers, against lenders)]
2x: 18 U.S.C. § 1348: "Conspiracy to commit offense or to defraud United States": No more than 5 years [commodities fraud, securities fraud]
1x: 18 U.S.C. § 1956(a)(1)(B)(1): "Laundering of monetary instruments": No more than 20 years

(4 * 20) + (2 * 5) + 20 => The law authorizes no more than 110 years for those. Guidelines will recommend much lower, and things in parallel

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
What is the actual likely sentence?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Time served

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

That takes way too much sentencing guideline math to figure out

608 pages of tables and directions

This is not a good table for him (the maximum Offense Level is 43):

Foxfire_ fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Nov 3, 2023

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

Boxturret posted:

Keep doubling down Sam! Maybe if he makes the perfect fraud bets and gets everyone’s money back, they’ll let him go!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Quotey posted:

She actually went to New York to watch it in person and then debrief in livestreams.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL870ZiG2I9IK9PyZwRreDyaNrYrrgIYxR

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Foxfire_ posted:

That takes way too much sentencing guideline math to figure out

608 pages of tables and directions

This is not a good table for him (the maximum Offense Level is 43):

Bitcoin: 608 pages of tables and directions

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Bitcoin: SBF's Offense Level is over 9000!

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Given the number of people defrauded and how much was lost, we're looking at the max ranges for many of the charges. Some will run concurrently but some will be tacked on separately. I'm pretty terrible at calculating this but there will be quite a few upward adjustments and sentencing enhancements. My guess is between 20-30 years but take that with a large grain of salt.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Quotey posted:

Her livestreams were on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@molly0xfff

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Madoff got like 150 years. He lost 5x the money or so?

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Pirate Radar posted:

He’ll flee the Stanford campus into the redwood forests above it and live out the rest of his days as a mischievous sprite

:haibrower: If you see him, your startup is guaranteed* to go unicorn

*:lol: because its financed with russian oligarch buttcoins

Big rear end On Fire posted:

Madoff notably pled guilty and did not cooperate with investigators, taking the bullet for any conspirators. The 12-20b that Madoff stole hasn't just evaporated because Alameda Research made a shitload of dumb bitcoin investments, that money is gone and Madoff never said where it went.

Vampire Panties fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Nov 3, 2023

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Big rear end On Fire posted:

Madoff also caught a bunch of other felonies including perjury, theft from a retirement fund and a bunch others. He deliberately fell on his sword so I'm not sure what an appeal would have looked like if he chose to pursue one, I think he might have been able to get it revised down a bit, but almost certainly whatever length chosen would have still exceeded the remainder of his life. In many respects anything more than 20 years would have been nugatory given his advanced age when he plead guilty.

Edit: ^^ it was a classic Ponzi, so a lot of money basically came in from one client, went out to another. It would have been impossible to trace all the funds given how long the scam went but we can probably assume 10% went to funding his lifestyle and the other 90% basically was a carousel of money in, money out, and there was a huge ado because some people actually made money while the scam was active so there were many lawsuits to claw back money from certain clients. A big part of the "loss" was the promised returns that evaporated that were never earned in the first place, so how much principal -- cash paid directly to Madoff, minus illusory gains -- is a matter of probable continuing dispute.

kw0134 fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Nov 3, 2023

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Was reading about SafeMoon and came across this bit:

Imagine if someone stole $9M of customer's money from a bank and then negotiated to keep $2M lol.

This happens constantly and it never fails to get a great laugh out of me. All the can do is beg the thieves to return the money and are willing to settle for some of it

Money of the future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Nuttcoin