Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

The Top G posted:

Getting “doored” is one of the worst ways to crash, and this greatly reduces the impact of that type of collision. Also gives you a chance to bail if an oncoming car is veering into the bike lane.

Downsides: rude/dangerous for other cyclists, that’s the main reason not to do it IMO. The increased relative speed of collision with a car is another one, although I’d bet the ability to see/dodge/brace for impact might offset it.

I prefer to ride that way and will if I’m the only rider out but if there are other riders coming towards me, I won’t.
Don’t ride the wrong way ffs

It’s dangerous, it’s bad, there are no upsides. Also I’m curious how you think you can “brace for impact.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

cat botherer posted:

It’s dangerous, it’s bad, there are no upsides. Also I’m curious how you think you can “brace for impact.”

i also dislike salmoning as said before, but in terms of bracing when you see it happening you can tilt/learn/steer/bail towards a safer direction when one exists — i understand the inclination that this is safer for the cyclist, but I think the unpredictability of the cyclists direction of travel for all others far outweighs that benefit, which is more of a fringe. if you crash into another cyclist, you are far more likely to end up pushed or pushing into incredibly dangerous directions which counteracts the bracing argument.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
scooter folks are the worst for all this bullshit. just completely incapable of sharing bike lanes or anything with them

mystes
May 31, 2006

Unlike walking/running, if you're biking against traffic I don't think you're realistically going to be able to do something to get out of the way so I don't really see some sort of theoretical safety advantage from salmoning, and I've never heard of people specifically biking against traffic for safety reasons

Usually people go the wrong way because they're biking on one way streets or streets with a bike lane that only goes the wrong way or whatever which is still potentially dangerous but at least has a logical reason

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Or because going to the right side involves crossing a road with cars that will kill you. I am occasionally guilty of a half block in the wrong direction for that reason

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

cat botherer posted:

Also I’m curious how you think you can “brace for impact.”
My permanently broken index finger would also like to know this (thanks car door)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I usually get off my bike and push it across busy intersections anyway, if just so I have the cushion of being a pedestrian if/when I get run over instead of being another one of those scofflaw cyclists who deserve to die.

Didn’t work for Elaine Herzberg, murdered by Uber in Phoenix.

They focused on the bike even though she was walking it.

Nitrousoxide posted:

I know some people swear by biking in the opposite direction of traffic. But doesn't that mainly reduce reaction time for drivers and increase the relative impact speed if you do get into a collision while not meaningfully changing your ability to avoid collisions?

Yeah and more importantly, drivers aren’t conditioned to look for wrong-way traffic.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 22:12 on Nov 2, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I usually get off my bike and push it across busy intersections anyway, if just so I have the cushion of being a pedestrian if/when I get run over instead of being another one of those scofflaw cyclists who deserve to die.
It's not like people care when pedestrians are run over either, so I'd personally rather just stay on my bike so I can clear the intersection faster.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

more crossing guards perhaps?

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

make car doors alarmed all the time. want to open your door? pull the handle, deafen the neighborhood for 5 seconds, then the locks disengage

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

corona familiar posted:

make car doors alarmed all the time. want to open your door? pull the handle, deafen the neighborhood for 5 seconds, then the locks disengage

is that not how it works now?

Sep 26, 2020

Mauser posted:

Are you talking about DC? I wouldn't ride on sidewalks if I had any other choice. My friend got hit by cars twice doing this when he was first learning city riding.

Yes DC. My current strategy is waiting for the pedestrian light. I've started going on the road if it's a stretch of something I'm familiar with (so like, a decent chunk of 18th north of Mass Ave, but until I feel comfortable with my uphill handling (working on it!) I want to give myself the extra padding of "if I am going to lose my balance (and at-worst) fall at least it won't be into traffic"

All of that to say, cars bad!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

BonHair posted:

Or because going to the right side involves crossing a road with cars that will kill you. I am occasionally guilty of a half block in the wrong direction for that reason
Riding on the footpath, at a brisk walking pace, for a short distance, to reach a safe place to cross the road is fine. Everything else people have been talking about here is not.

Don't ride on the footpath. It's for pedestrians.
Don't ride on the wrong side of the road. You're a hazard to anyone going the correct direction.
Don't ride the wrong way along one-way streets. No one is expecting to see you coming and you are a danger to yourself and others.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Counterpoint: "lanes" and directions of travel are car brained inventions and should not be applied to non-automobiles.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I don't ride counterflow to traffic - if I'm on the "wrong side" of the road, I get off my bike and walk, on the sidewalk if one is available

if it's a particularly dicey intersection, I again convert myself into a pedestrian and cross with other pedestrians

if there's a car stopped ahead of me, I check if it's clear to pass on the left with a wide enough distance to avoid getting door'ed. If there isn't, I stop and wait for the car to move. If it doesn't look like the car is going anywhere soon, I stop and get off the bike and pass on foot to the right, using the sidewalk if one is available.

___

I'm not saying any of this as prescriptions, or as a means to keep one safe(r); I'm just sharing my personal approach. I'm well aware crossing a road while walking my bike might still get me killed anyway because it doesn't matter if the driver is looking at their phone.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
I could've driven to the laser light show... but I rode the bus :cool:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Counterpoint: "lanes" and directions of travel are car brained inventions and should not be applied to non-automobiles.

In a study of the ancient traffic system of Pompeii, Eric Poehler was able to show that drivers of carts drove in the middle of the road whenever possible. This was the case even on roads wide enough for two lanes.  The wear marks on the kerbstones, however, prove that when there were two lanes of traffic, and the volume of traffic made it necessary to divide the lanes, the drivers always drove on the right-hand side.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Grassy Knowles posted:

In a study of the ancient traffic system of Pompeii, Eric Poehler was able to show that drivers of carts drove in the middle of the road whenever possible. This was the case even on roads wide enough for two lanes.  The wear marks on the kerbstones, however, prove that when there were two lanes of traffic, and the volume of traffic made it necessary to divide the lanes, the drivers always drove on the right-hand side.

yeah but where did they park all the chariots

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

smarxist posted:

more cars with those parachute things they can deploy, imo
slaved to a speed governor, yes. If you're going 3 mph over the limit, SURPRISE

grate deceiver posted:

oh yeah, then how do you explain this

I can smell the smog from here lol

the sex ghost posted:

I have never read a single book and will never read any articles or theory. What is the accepted lefty position on car ownership and private transport in general. Is it submitting an application to the department of motor vehicles outlining why you need a car and getting one loaned to you on a case by case basis. Would the state be responsible for the maintenance of said vehicles. Will I get to have a go in a Yugo because that would be extremely cool.
There's no such thing as an accepted lefty position on much of anything.
The practical position is probably something like Dutch model infra coupled to heavy PT subsidies (as opposed to the franchise/competitive systems most euro countries have), and internalizing the private vehicle ownership externalities.

the sex ghost posted:

I like cars but I also like public transport. Not sure of the best way to start reducing the number of privately owned cars but a good place to start would be to make the driving test more difficult and make people retake it every couple of years or so
The solution is mostly a "if you build it they will come" kinda thing, and that includes unbuilding infra/regs that induces private vehicle usage/ownership, up to and including tax/regs environments.

57001 posted:

My current strategy is waiting for the pedestrian light. I've started going on the road if it's a stretch of something I'm familiar with (so like, a decent chunk of 18th north of Mass Ave, but until I feel comfortable with my uphill handling (working on it!) I want to give myself the extra padding of "if I am going to lose my balance (and at-worst) fall at least it won't be into traffic"
People can be a bit aggro about not riding on the sidewalk but in many places it's a de-facto MUP, and the road lanes are absolutely unsuitable for safe cycling. IMO if you're keeping it to jogging pace and treat peds as you'd like cars to treat you it's mostly fine.

evil_bunnY has issued a correction as of 11:23 on Nov 3, 2023

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Most of the people I see riding bikes around here are obviously new and having a really hard time (wobbling all over the place, barely moving faster than walking, getting a third of the way up a hill before dismounting, etc.). It's probably not safe for them to follow the law until they're better riders, and I suspect that if they were forced off the sidewalk they'd just give up on riding altogether.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

57001 posted:

Yes DC. My current strategy is waiting for the pedestrian light. I've started going on the road if it's a stretch of something I'm familiar with (so like, a decent chunk of 18th north of Mass Ave, but until I feel comfortable with my uphill handling (working on it!) I want to give myself the extra padding of "if I am going to lose my balance (and at-worst) fall at least it won't be into traffic"

All of that to say, cars bad!

I've ridden around there, that's where the weed shop is! I'm actually meeting my friend down there this weekend to do a little two day ride from DC to Antietam and back. If you need some practice riding, the C&O canal is great and accessible from the city by bike.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Most of the people I see riding bikes around here are obviously new and having a really hard time. It's probably not safe for them to follow the law until they're better riders.
It's also not safe for them to be on the footpath around pedestrians. Fortunately there is no shortage of places you can take a bike to practice until you're comfortable riding on the road.

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

cat botherer posted:

I’m riding along, I see an approaching car veering into my bike lane, I steer/jump/bail out of the way. Maybe it works, maybe not but least I have a chance to react

VS:

I’m riding along, a car behind me piloted by an unobservant driver veers into my bike lane and runs me over.

Personally I’m nervous every time a car passes me from behind, all it takes is for a side mirror to tap the handlebars to cause a bad crash. I’m a little surprised to see the faith that people here have in their local motorists not running them over.

As for no upsides: false, not being able to get “doored” is a huge upside.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The Top G posted:

I’m riding along, I see an approaching car veering into my bike lane, I steer/jump/bail out of the way. Maybe it works, maybe not but least I have a chance to react

VS:

I’m riding along, a car behind me piloted by an unobservant driver veers into my bike lane and runs me over.

Personally I’m nervous every time a car passes me from behind, all it takes is for a side mirror to tap the handlebars to cause a bad crash. I’m a little surprised to see the faith that people here have in their local motorists not running them over.

So you're biking at say 12mph in a bike lane going the wrong way between cars and the sidewalk. Every couple minutes when it looks like an oncoming car is going to pass slightly too close you're going to try to jump off your bike onto the sidewalk at full speed and roll or something, abandoning your bike to flop over and get run over by cars and then walk, scraped up and covered with blood, to the nearest bike shop to buy a new bike?

Or is this something you've never had to do but you're just concerned with a hypothetical situation where you can tell that a car is heading right for you?

mystes has issued a correction as of 13:45 on Nov 3, 2023

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

The Top G posted:

VS:

Frankly, this sounds like the sort of thing a person who won't wear a seatbelt because they're afraid of getting trapped if their car goes into a lake would say.

You're making 99.9% of your rides more dangerous to avoid one really specific scenario.

Troutful
May 31, 2011

Tiggum posted:

It's also not safe for them to be on the footpath around pedestrians. Fortunately there is no shortage of places you can take a bike to practice until you're comfortable riding on the road.

It's perfectly legal to ride on the sidewalk here and I do it all the time because the alternative is riding in the road with cars doing 40+ mph. Cope and seethe.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
if i'm riding on the sidewalk i'm not going fast enough to not be able to stop or give a pedestrian the right of way

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

If you're worried about cars creaming you from behind (heh) then get a mirror for your bike or helmet, so you can see behind.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

The Top G posted:

VS:

For gently caress's sake, you can still get doored. It's not like people look in front of them before they open their doors either.

The other thing you are talking about is drivers veering into you. That's not a common type of crash. Left/right hooks are more common. Still, let's look at that scenario:

Say you are doing 15 mph in the bike lane, and the driver is doing 35. If you are riding on the correct side of the road, the relative speed is (35 - 15) = 20 mph. If you are riding the wrong way, it's (35 + 15) = 50. Your reaction time is not that good. And getting hit with a relative speed of 20 mph is survivable. 50 is not.

Besides that, cyclists rarely get hit from behind. The great majority are left/right hooks. And you're making those MUCH more likely because people aren't expecting traffic to be coming the wrong way.

cat botherer has issued a correction as of 14:25 on Nov 3, 2023

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

So when a cyclist comes down the bike lane going the right way, straight towards you, you...?

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

I had a 20/25mph car veer across the yellow line on a gentle curve and start to come straight at me riding the other way and the only thing I was able to do was scream, "WHAT THE gently caress?" at the top of my lungs. Luckily, that piece of poo poo looked up from his phone long enough to avoid smashing into me and also lucky that he kept driving because I was as angry as I've ever been in my life

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

FuturePerfect VideoGames posted:

So when a cyclist comes down the bike lane going the right way, straight towards you, you...?

get jousted off your bike by my cane

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Grassy Knowles posted:

get jousted off your bike by my cane

It's bad luck just seeing a thing like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQNI7q6ABnc&t=11s

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

how nice of the cyclist to upgrade the driver’s iPhone

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Maroon Hawk posted:

how nice of the cyclist to upgrade the driver’s iPhone

That’s the driver’s friend’s phone, Philistine.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Lol

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Wrap it up automofailures, you're going extinct:

I wanted to know who's getting one of those 9 parking spots but it's probably mostly Zipcar type things.

Hah yeah, about that:

More driving-optimized interfaces for office productivity apps will solve this problem.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

FuturePerfect VideoGames posted:

Wrap it up automofailures, you're going extinct:

I wanted to know who's getting one of those 9 parking spots but it's probably mostly Zipcar type things.

Hah yeah, about that:

More driving-optimized interfaces for office productivity apps will solve this problem.

Always looking more options to stay connected. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

They should also add a special mode in YouTube for recording boomer videos in your car with sunglasses on