Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Coolness Averted posted:

On bird chat, a dude argued about owls all being massive in the comments for a habitat short about an owl in disguise as a trick or treating child to get someone in trouble

To be fair too that rabbit, he thought he was pepper spraying a chipmunk.

Pulsarcat has a new favorite as of 22:59 on Nov 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Coolness Averted posted:

On bird chat, a dude argued about owls all being massive in the comments for a habitat short about an owl in disguise as a trick or treating child to get someone in trouble

...But... the owl is a child.

Posting all three parts of that story cause Natural Habitat Shorts owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oly8f4h5C78
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruNYPWCFCLI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw3gFL-YcCI

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Panfilo posted:

Man these folks must be bored this week. Prison time Matt? Why not just chop off their hands to teach them a lesson at that rate?
https://twitter.com/MattWalshBlog/status/1719793922673668301?t=O6TYDfd_fUr43qSGLS3xJA&s=19
I still can't get over the people who are lamenting the downfall of society over such a minor thing. Is it crass? Absolutely. A national crisis? Heck no.

It's Broken Windows revamped for the modern era. Conservatives have been pretending for eons that This Time, For Sure, THIS is the signal that our society is going down hill and about to fall into an age of barbarism.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Dabir posted:

...But... the owl is a child.

Posting all three parts of that story cause Natural Habitat Shorts owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oly8f4h5C78
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruNYPWCFCLI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw3gFL-YcCI
Yeah they're all great videos, my favorite is still the rock tools otter one.
I do think the person interpreting the owl as an elf or pygmy breed is inserting an element, but it's a valid interpretation. The guy who didn't know about Pygmy or Burrowing owls so just assumed Great Horned Owls were the default looks silly though.
Remember he's not saying "actually the head and plumage fits a..." he's saying owls are big in response to "people forget about the tiny owl varieties."

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

tokin opposition posted:

I've been meaning to learn how to roast poultry, does parrot pair well with sage?

I think it'd end up just repeating things it had heard, so I don't know if the discourse would be satisfying.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I just think if it was intended to be an adult of a particularly small owl species pretending to be a child, they'd have given it a comically deep voice in the reveal at the end. You absolutely have to be seeing things that aren't there to take it as a message about what kinds of owls exist. These videos aren't complicated, they're about one fact each and that fact is spelled out in the title.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Coolness Averted posted:

If you were wondering, adult specimens of the largest owl species are generally 7-9lbs and about 2 feet tall when perching. They do have a 6 foot wingspan, though.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Dabir posted:

I just think if it was intended to be an adult of a particularly small owl species pretending to be a child, they'd have given it a comically deep voice in the reveal at the end. You absolutely have to be seeing things that aren't there to take it as a message about what kinds of owls exist. These videos aren't complicated, they're about one fact each and that fact is spelled out in the title.

Right, I agree that the creator spells out the fact that inspired any given cartoon in their video description, and this one was just about birds and capsaicin. Once again, that is not what spicey tofu took issue with. He took issue with 'owls aren't big' that's what makes him look dumb imo.

Coolness Averted has a new favorite as of 23:55 on Nov 2, 2023

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Baron von Eevl posted:

If you were wondering, adult specimens of the largest owl species are generally 7-9lbs and about 2 feet tall when perching. They do have a 6 foot wingspan, though.

So terrifying

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

So terrifying

Freaking massive

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

I think it'd end up just repeating things it had heard, so I don't know if the discourse would be satisfying.

is this your first day on the internet somehow?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Coolness Averted posted:

Right, I agree that the creator spells out the fact that inspired any given cartoon in their video description, and this one was just about birds and capsaicin. Once again, that is not what spicey tofu took issue with. He took issue with 'owls aren't big' that's what makes him look dumb imo.

In small fairness, while owls aren't huge they're usually bigger than chipmunks and rabbits.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

:hmmyes:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah all the characters in those cartoons are about the same size anyway unless it's important for a joke

I think I'm too tired to understand this argument so I'll stop having it

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Owls do love to go trick or treating and rabbits are well known to be homeowners and have pepper spray on hand.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
https://twitter.com/breakingbaht/status/1720127624398119265?t=bzkoYS8h7-SrgQR74uCMFw&s=19

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Switch to the Bee, they don't miss

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Maybe the commenter is Africa and is comparing owls to ostriches

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Screech owls are pocket sized and it's delightful

Another adorably tiny bird of prey is the Kestrel

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Air Skwirl posted:

I mean, they probably are over proscribed. When Prozac got big in the 90s a coworker of my Mom (she was a newspaper reporter) did a story on a doctor who had like half of his patients taking it, and over the course interviewing the doctor he suggested to the reporter that she could probably use Prozac. But that absolutely doesn't mean they're useless.

Sorry for the pedantry but you both mean "overprescribed"

"Proscribed" means forbidden

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

I think it's cool that a lot of birds don't inherently assume humans are dangerous and will happily chill around us especially if we have food

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

tokin opposition posted:

is this your first day on the internet somehow?

it was a parrot joke

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Kit Walker posted:

I think it's cool that a lot of birds don't inherently assume humans are dangerous and will happily chill around us especially if we have food

Worked out well for the dodo.

no it didn't

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Air Skwirl posted:

Worked out well for the dodo.

no it didn't

Yeah humanity hosed up a lot of birds, including some really significant ones (like passenger pigeons). I'm just glad we haven't hosed up all of them yet and I can toss some nuts or eggs to some crows and give them a good time

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Fellas is it gay to be emotionally intimate with a female partner
Spending time with a woman is already the gayest thing a man can do. What, you want to kiss her and hold hands and get married? I bet you do, you big homo. Real, manly men only spend time with other men, doing straight guy things like wrestling.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

You'll notice that every great man of history had no women beside them in any of our historical documents (Statues and busts)

The General
Mar 4, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IXHdnjQZNI

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

tokin opposition posted:

I've been meaning to learn how to roast poultry, does parrot pair well with sage?

No, didn't you hear? The parrot's going to roast you

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

A German satire website I follow posts the stupidest comments they receive weekly. Pretty much every subject even remotely political (and several that aren't) gets "You used to be funny, now you're just in the pocket of the left/the right/this politician/the government/Greta Thunberg/the UN! One less reader!". By a rough estimate, they've been at negative readers for a couple years now and the number is still going down.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Cloacamazing! posted:

A German satire website I follow posts the stupidest comments they receive weekly. Pretty much every subject even remotely political (and several that aren't) gets "You used to be funny, now you're just in the pocket of the left/the right/this politician/the government/Greta Thunberg/the UN! One less reader!". By a rough estimate, they've been at negative readers for a couple years now and the number is still going down.

Do they keep track of how many of those are repeat "never reading agains"? Because that is certainly going to be a non zero number.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I really want to read the comments on this one:

Antigravitas posted:

Almost 80 years without war.
Can Israel learn from Germany?

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Beautiful. That one's gonna get rage from every corner of the political spectrum.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Inceltown posted:

Do they keep track of how many of those are repeat "never reading agains"? Because that is certainly going to be a non zero number.

No, and they obviously censor all the names so nobody can do that.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Antigravitas posted:

I really want to read the comments on this one:

And people say Germans aren't funny.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Cloacamazing! posted:

No, and they obviously censor all the names so nobody can do that.

They could track it internally and still publish the anonymised results, it would be a fun number to see.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Cloacamazing! posted:

This was pretty much the running gag of the MAD Magazine letters page for decades

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://x.com/esyudkowsky/status/1720273230609707376?s=46&t=CBKJcBX0BD3U5HgUdsqBtw

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
No, I don't think that's a risk of AI. Reminds me of the teacher I had in 6th grade who didn't let us bring in headphones in case our computers at home had a virus and the headphones transferred that virus to the school computers (Apple Macintosh 128ks).

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
The list of things that Big Yud thinks he understands but doesn't is long and comprehensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

This is a level of superstition that would slay a sixteenth‐century peasant.