Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Cease to Hope posted:

they are customized to (what they think are) your interests

not since elon musk kept getting ruined in the algorithm, it's now mostly poo poo he cares about plus uncurated bollocks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
rousing discussion of LT2012's twitter feed

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Cease to Hope posted:

rousing discussion of LT2012's twitter feed

How's your Twitter feed doing today?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Edge of Tomorrow was pretty good, but I can't actually think of another Emily Blunt movie I really enjoyed.

The Quiet Place movies are pretty good

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

GoutPatrol posted:

Trying to buy a house is not a fun process

did I mention taiwan does not have a mortgage pre approval

on sunday I am going to the real estate office to talk to the owners but we aren't going to talk in person. instead we will sit in different rooms and the agent will move back and forth with our offers, like the paris peace accords

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I originally read that as trying to buy a horse

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

GoutPatrol posted:

on sunday I am going to the real estate office to talk to the owners but we aren't going to talk in person. instead we will sit in different rooms and the agent will move back and forth with our offers, like the paris peace accords

Do the rooms have windows where you can see each other and make friendly or threatening head motions?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

GoutPatrol posted:

cut off the agents finger and have him deliver it as a warning that you are not to be trifled with

Professor Beetus posted:

I originally read that as trying to buy a horse

riding through the renowned wide-open prairies of taiwan

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

90-95% of the population lives on the plains, yeah.

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Nov 3, 2023

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i classify taiwan as a mountainous country and i stand by that uniformed assumption

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i classify taiwan as a mountainous country and i stand by that uniformed assumption
I'd call it mountainous for sure, as much or moreso than Japan. The highest peak, Yu Shan, is 3942 m. That's the 4th highest island summit in the world. IMO you can have some plains and still be mountainous.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Seems more like a molehill to me.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I wish they would bring back ABC's The Mole with Anderson Cooper and Celebrity Mole.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i classify it as mountainous but not a country

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Well of course, it's not a country it's a Republic.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
hey wait a second, if all the people live on the plains, they're full of cities! only cops ride horses through cities, so you're looking at riding your horse through some kind of suburb at best

exmarx posted:

i classify it as mountainous but not a country

funny, that's how most americans feel about the australian rump state of new zealand

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

funny, that's how most americans feel about the australian rump state of new zealand
Australia:
- hot
- dry
- flat
- full of Australians

New Zealand:
- awesome mountains
- glaciers
- fjords
- parrots that gently caress up your car

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Australia has the hell beast Cassowary and New Zealand has the humble Kiwi. I'll take the dumb lil guy who potters around over the talon samurai.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
In an alternate timeline we send the population of Australia in our worldship to colonize the stars. If they could survive the flora and fauna of Australia, they might stand a chance against the xenomorphs, the flood, and the zerg.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Send the hoons into space and watch as they come back riding the xenomorphs.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

hey wait a second, if all the people live on the plains, they're full of cities! only cops ride horses through cities, so you're looking at riding your horse through some kind of suburb at best

I didn’t think the cops here even had horses but I was riding my bike the other week and saw some mounted cops so at least New Taipei City does have a mounted unit for some reason

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I wish saying embarrassing things in public always elevated yourself to more and more powerful positions. I'd be the ruler of a new global empire.

https://twitter.com/RollingStone/status/1721274337188040981

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

sounds like a Cumtown joke

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Hachi Machi.

I'm surprised so many people are seeing a movie based on a video game IP that the general public isn't super aware of.

Also, why is the lore/plot explanation for the video game over 42 pages when I google it?!? What is going on there beyond robots come to life and kill people?

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1721192364562092326

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
okay that's enough computer time grandpa, it's time for pinochle

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Cease to Hope posted:

okay that's enough computer time grandpa, it's time for pinochle

Weird. I've only ever seen it spelled "penuchle" before. According to google, there are two valid spellings.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

Hachi Machi.

I'm surprised so many people are seeing a movie based on a video game IP that the general public isn't super aware of.

Also, why is the lore/plot explanation for the video game over 42 pages when I google it?!? What is going on there beyond robots come to life and kill people?

Anyone who has been around young boys for any time around the past decade or so could have seen this coming. Give them an opportunity and they'll talk your ear off about Freddie lore. Lots of parents getting dragged along to see it.

It's popularity isn't very surprising, it's very accessible horror for youngsters (no gore or adult themes, with most macabre stuff left "off-screen"). Too bad the creator funnels a lot of his success towards Trump and the American Family Association.

I've never played the games myself but they essentially birthed the "investigative YouTube essay about a video game's lore" genre. It seems to keep stuff vague so that players can "figure it out" (or have an influencer figure it out for them), which leads to a lot of extraneous lore that ends up not actually mattering much.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Hachi Machi.

To put it in terms you'll understand, the Five Nights at Freddies series is set up like a mystery serial; an endless series of revelations and appeals to read the next part and discover new "depths."

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Discendo Vox posted:

To put it in terms you'll understand, the Five Nights at Freddies series is set up like a mystery serial; an endless series of revelations and appeals to read the next part and discover new "depths."

Shouldn't they just close down this pizza place after there are double digit murders being committed there?

Seems like they shouldn't be staffing it if it has been closed down for over a decade.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

Shouldn't they just close down this pizza place after there are double digit murders being committed there?

Seems like they shouldn't be staffing it if it has been closed down for over a decade.

Let me assure you that there is a reason for this, which my friend's son spoke at length about like 3 years ago and I don't remember any of that poo poo.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Correct, which is why they keep building new pizza places.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Hachi Machi.

The lore is kept vague and trickled out through notes and hints so people get verbose when they reconstruct the plot.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

It seems like it is good on balance that kids are becoming neurotic and obsessed over the logistics of murderous robot bears vs. whether the Undertaker had really died and gone to hell, only to be brought back to fight Mankind in Hell in a Cell back in my day.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I'm honestly surprised that you would think the general public is unaware. FNF merch is loving everywhere.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

It seems like it is good on balance that kids are becoming neurotic and obsessed over the logistics of murderous robot bears vs. whether the Undertaker had really died and gone to hell, only to be brought back to fight Mankind in Hell in a Cell back in my day.

Eh I dunno, murderous robot bears strike me too much as escapist fantasy, compared to the Undertaker dying and coming back to life, which was real and aspirational.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Professor Beetus posted:

I'm honestly surprised that you would think the general public is unaware. FNF merch is loving everywhere.

Possibly blinded by being in a DINK household of middle-aged online shoppers.

I just don't think that FNF has the cultural cachet to carry a movie in the same way that Mario or Sonic does. $200 million means a huge amount of people who don't play the games went to see it.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 6, 2023

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

Eh I dunno, murderous robot bears strike me too much as escapist fantasy, compared to the Undertaker dying and coming back to life, which was real and aspirational.

There were real debates in 9th grade about whether the Undertaker also having a brother who came back from hell meant that wrestling was fake or it was just a family tradition.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Do you think that the discovery of salt as a delicious rock precipitated a surge in rock eating fatalities?

Also, it is kind of weird that there is just one rock that humans coat their food in and eat. Statistically, if there is one, you'd think there would be more delicious rocks.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
there are more, but the health and safety nuts deny us access to the forbidden sweet rock, just because it turns peoples brain to goo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

What kind of nerd rear end 15-year olds is Will Stancil hanging out with?

https://twitter.com/whstancil/status/1721608678476759290