Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

SHISHKABOB posted:

I play for fun.

loving casual

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Rand Brittain posted:

FromSoft is pretty good at the whole "environmental lore" thing, but like, I have yet to hear anybody come up with a reason that it's a good thing that I have no idea, after reading every bit of lore in the game, what happens if I choose Fia's ending or how it would be different from any other ending.

I disagree with everybody who is complaining about the lack of a quest log or dialog log in the game (and think that no one who uses the phrase "QoL features" has the cognition required to say anything of value about video games), but this is on point imo. There are a ton of things about Elden Ring that don't make sense in a way that's very different from, say, Dark Souls, which was highly ambiguous but not incoherent. The Elden Lord endings are neither clear nor evocative; the first is fine but the second is disappointing. Why does generic enemy X come back once they die but Radahn doesn't? Why don't any of the various intelligent groups of enemies have anything to say? Why doesn't Stormveil change once it gets a new ruler? There aren't really good answers for this. Some people have even suggested Radahn (et al) will come back eventually, but that doesn't really fit with how various characters like Jerren relate to the idea of killing him.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

nrook posted:

I disagree with everybody who is complaining about the lack of a quest log or dialog log in the game (and think that no one who uses the phrase "QoL features" has the cognition required to say anything of value about video games), but this is on point imo. There are a ton of things about Elden Ring that don't make sense in a way that's very different from, say, Dark Souls, which was highly ambiguous but not incoherent. The Elden Lord endings are neither clear nor evocative; the first is fine but the second is disappointing. Why does generic enemy X come back once they die but Radahn doesn't? Why don't any of the various intelligent groups of enemies have anything to say? Why doesn't Stormveil change once it gets a new ruler? There aren't really good answers for this. Some people have even suggested Radahn (et al) will come back eventually, but that doesn't really fit with how various characters like Jerren relate to the idea of killing him.

This applies to every single Souls game so it's not something I really give much thought to. Especially the endings, to this day I can't remember a single ending off the top of my head - endings have never been this franchise's forte.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I remember the endings for the original Dark Souls. There were exactly two and they were both very cogent and in keeping with both the games' themes and its story. So it's not like having weird inscrutable endings is a vital part of the series' DNA.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Yeah I have nothing to defend the mending rune endings, they really could stand to be elaborated on it. Idk why each one one didn't get at least as much work as Ranni's or the Frenzied Flame's

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

No Dignity posted:

Yeah I have nothing to defend the mending rune endings, they really could stand to be elaborated on.

World's poo now, what else needs saying? :colbert:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Azran posted:

This applies to every single Souls game so it's not something I really give much thought to. Especially the endings, to this day I can't remember a single ending off the top of my head - endings have never been this franchise's forte.

I would say the endings to dark souls were very evocative, if not clear at all.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It's very strange to see people treat From's design as a monolithic, unchangeable thing in the context of Elden Ring of all games, the one that makes the most alterations to the formula and includes innovations like tutorial pop-ups.

Even just talking about side quests alone, they patched in the NPC map markers after the fact. You can't really claim tweaks like that are fundamentally incompatible with how From does things.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
all the souls endings are more or less the same ([uselessly] light the fire or usher in the DARKNESS WORLD) with some slight variations but they all work really well and feel like the culmination of your journey up until that point.

except ds2 i guess, which has the only player character who managed to say gently caress you, see you later to the whole teleological cycle.

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.

dialhforhero posted:

Okay. But where are people doing the loving to do this? What world?

Asking for a friend.

Uh, excuse me, it's called "The Lands Between" (which implies lands outside the 'between') not "The Only Lands Where people capable of reproducing exist."

What world do you live in where 'between' doesn't imply the existence of things 'out-ween'?

Asking for a friend.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

World War Mammories posted:

expect that most people reading this thread know this, but remember that miyazaki's explicit intent in soulsy games is to evoke in the player the feelings he got as a kid reading english sci-fi and fantasy while having only the most threadbare understanding of the language. he could admire the pictures, pick out proper nouns, and get the very basic gist of a given scene, but the details would be beyond him. then as an adult he played ico, which has the same let-the-player-fill-in-the-blanks structure, and went from there. it is absolutely fair to argue that the style isn't to your liking or that it could be improved - I think it's a great use of games as a medium and a welcome departure from how every modern AAA game wants to be a loving movie when only Kojima has the chutzpah to try it sincerely, but I'm just some rear end in a top hat - but don't forget that the confusion about things as basic as the overarching timeline is very much intended.

I've always been curious how people who want more "narrative" in these games would change them because the only thing anyone else has done is stick more movies in there. God of War 2 is one third the length of Elden Ring but has over 7 hours of cutscenes while Elden Ring has about an hour. I'm here to play a game not watch a movie. Playing the original Dark Souls was a revelation to me because I'd never seen and still haven't seen anyone use the medium like FromSoft has and it kinda ruined video games for me a bit.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Like was said earlier, all I really want is a little more tangible plot in the way Dark Souls 1 had a more tangible plot.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Rand Brittain posted:

I mean, he's just a student, so I doubt anybody is paying that much attention to him. Honestly, as far as we can tell, there's literally nobody in the Academy today but zombies.
That's also true of essentially everywhere else minus the few talking NPCs scattered around, which really makes a lot of character's motivations strange. The whole country is a ruined wasteland full of murderous zombies and there are still people acting like they have mundane ambitions or careers to care about. Like, sorry Edgar, but I don't think it matters much that your misbegotten servants rebelled when essentially everyone else everywhere is just as ready to kill as they are. Sorry Thops, I don't see the point of getting back into the academy when everyone there just wants to shoot death beams at whoever steps inside, it's not exactly a place of learning. Or Kenneth talking about how he's going to rule over Limgrave when there's essentially nothing in Limgrave to rule over, and also where did you even come from that you're acting as if you can just walk in and talk to someone and get put in charge as if you won't just get stabbed by the first mindless soldier who sees you. where have you been my man the lands between is over

It's not the only thing that bothers me about Elden Ring's storytelling-the extreme ambiguity of what 'Those Who Live in Death' are and what they mean to the setting is also up there. Frenzied Flame stuff felt like it led to more, especially with Hyetta mentioning very foundational lore information, but every time I interact with the skeletons I just wind up feeling that the way that most enemies in the game already behave like zombies makes 'Those Who Live in Death' very thematically indistinct. Like ok, they're essentially another form of undead that lies outside the golden order, but why do I care?

and then there's just general esoterica like Roderika saying

quote:

Did you know? If you're grafted by the spider, you become a chrysalid.
It's quite the lark, when you think about it.
and then you're sort of just left with that and have to eventually assume she's just being loving weird and talking about bodybags or something

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
who the gently caress turned boc into a tree anyway

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Idk, I think Kenneth in particular works because he comes off as a delusional weirdo from the jump. But then I guess it's sort of ruined because you can, in fact, get Nepheli on the throne and everyone is like "yup, we sure did fix Limgrave's succession problem".

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Those Who Live In Death feel like they're missing at least one example of them being anything anything but mindlessly hostile zombies. All they have is Fia saying 'trust me they're cool' and the mocking item descriptions of some of the Golden Order calling them fanatics, but like you never see a non hostile skeleton who just wants to be left alone

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

No Dignity posted:

Those Who Live In Death feel like they're missing at least one example of them being anything anything but mindlessly hostile zombies. All they have is Fia saying 'trust me they're cool' and the mocking item descriptions of some of the Golden Order calling them fanatics, but like you never see a non hostile skeleton who just wants to be left alone

You say this but Tibia Mariner exists

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

WaltherFeng posted:

You say this but Tibia Mariner exists

Those guys who show a boss health bar when you get near them and attack you on sight?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Fia is a nutcase just like Goldmask and Dung. The point of these guys is not that any of them is objectively correct or even that they make some good points. It’s that they have this all-consuming belief that, with your help, can intensify until they produce a Mending Rune, a physically existent piece of magical writing that can reshape the world (in ways, however, which the game would rather let you imagine than spend effort representing). To confirm Fia’s beliefs that horrifying animate skeletons are actually cool would be stupid.

What’s wrong with the fundie skeleton hunters is not that undead are actually nice little boys and girls who don’t deserve it. It’s that the fundies are behaving in a lunatic fashion by killing skeletons that can’t die, as if that’s going to fix anything. “All the good and the great wanted, in their foolishness, was an absolute evil to contend with.” (Order Healing description)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

skasion posted:

What’s wrong with the fundie skeleton hunters is not that undead are actually nice little boys and girls who don’t deserve it. It’s that the fundies are behaving in a lunatic fashion by killing skeletons that can’t die, as if that’s going to fix anything. “All the good and the great wanted, in their foolishness, was an absolute evil to contend with.” (Order Healing description)
My issue is that the skeletons really seem barely any different from any other random wandering enemy. Like, the exile soldiers and demi-humans and godrick's goons and whoever else all also can't die, and you can look at those common enemies up close and they're all hosed up walking corpses.

so how are "horrifying animate skeletons" any different? you're all undead, man. the skeletons don't deserve getting hunted any more or less than the other enemies.

and if the point is that the golden order guys are doing something pointless, and Fia is just on some nonsense... I really don't care. If Those Who Live in Death had demonstrably meaningfully different conditions, if their experience meant something material to the world around them and Fia had a point about being kind to them, maybe it would be interesting.
But instead you've got a world populated by undead, where one subgroup of the undead is treated differently for esoteric deathroot related reasons that aren't really coherently explained and the player isn't given a real hook for any of it.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Nov 3, 2023

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

No Dignity posted:

Those guys who show a boss health bar when you get near them and attack you on sight?

The guy is just having a time of his (undead) life tooting and sailing

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

John Murdoch posted:

Like was said earlier, all I really want is a little more tangible plot in the way Dark Souls 1 had a more tangible plot.

I wouldn't say DS1 had a tangible plot at all. Sure, a talking snake told you to fix everything forever by setting yourself on fire forever, but that's the surface plot that serves as layer 1 of the onion of lies. We've got a reasonable feel for what's "really" going on, but that's after years of arguing and pouring over item descriptions and even then it's not settled.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

LazyMaybe posted:

My issue is that the skeletons really seem barely any different from any other random wandering enemy. Like, the exile soldiers and demi-humans and godrick's goons and whoever else all also can't die, and you can look at those common enemies up close and they're all hosed up walking corpses.

so how are "horrifying animate skeletons" any different? you're all undead, man. the skeletons don't deserve getting hunted any more or less than the other enemies.

and if the point is that the golden order guys are doing something pointless, and Fia is just on some nonsense... I really don't care. If Those Who Live in Death had demonstrably meaningfully different conditions, if their experience meant something material to the world around them and Fia had a point about being kind to them, maybe it would be interesting.
But instead you've got a world populated by undead, where one subgroup of the undead is treated differently for esoteric deathroot related reasons that aren't really coherently explained and the player isn't given a real hook for any of it.

I think at this point it's down to taste and how much you enjoy teasing poo poo out because I find that aspect fascinating.

Also my favorite theory on the difference between them is that majority of people walking around had their souls reborn through the erd tree, which is 'good' as far as the golden order is concerned, while those who live in death really don't want to be reborn through the alien parasite thank you and their spirit just grabbed onto some random bones and made it work. once you start thinking about the catacombs it comes into focus a bit more. The catacombs probably were built pre-erd tree rebirth and got repurposed by the erd tree. otherwise why would they have both bones AND corpse piles getting absorbed by roots in the boss room, with the roots very clearly bursting through pre-built walls and not being an original part of the catacomb?

so again, you're right that from our perspective there's not really that much of a difference but from the internal narrative perspective there's a huge one and if you don't care then it's not gonna mean much to you

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

I've always been curious how people who want more "narrative" in these games would change them because the only thing anyone else has done is stick more movies in there. God of War 2 is one third the length of Elden Ring but has over 7 hours of cutscenes while Elden Ring has about an hour. I'm here to play a game not watch a movie. Playing the original Dark Souls was a revelation to me because I'd never seen and still haven't seen anyone use the medium like FromSoft has and it kinda ruined video games for me a bit.

Yea GoW 2 felt like such a slog at times due to the cutscenes, and felt like it had been Disney-fied since the last one. Very glad Fromsoft is keeping things simpler.

To be honest I barely watch the boss cutscenes before battles. Probably explains why I don’t really know what’s going on in the story, but then again it didn’t really help me in Bloodborne

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

LazyMaybe posted:

Think of it like this. The skeletons are an obvious parallel to the Tarnished: hunted outcasts with magic death problems whose main sin is that their existence shits all over the religious dogma of Golden Order. they’re a reminder that the Erdtree these people worship is super hosed and there is no going back. They’re different in a way that devalues the position of the “great and good”, and therefore get picked on.

And this is all completely independent of their actual conduct. so far as we can see, that conduct is murderous and gross…but as you and everyone else can see, they’re hardly the only ones. It’s hard to be anything BUT murderous and gross when the “good guys” want to kill you on sight. It requires an act of faith to reach across a divide like that. Approaching it from a rational point of view will never do the trick. notice that brilliant Goldmask, who is presented as the source of that quote about how dumb the skeleton killers are, himself has no ambition to help the skeletons out. You can either make the leap of faith (like Fia does by having sex with a gigantic dead fish man), or you can not.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

a primate posted:

Yea GoW 2 felt like such a slog at times due to the cutscenes, and felt like it had been Disney-fied since the last one. Very glad Fromsoft is keeping things simpler.

To be honest I barely watch the boss cutscenes before battles. Probably explains why I don’t really know what’s going on in the story, but then again it didn’t really help me in Bloodborne

Elden Ring boss intros are sick as hell Morgott's and Godfrey's especially.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I love how Radahn rides on that tiny skinny horse. Funniest and best thing in the game. The plot and lore reason is that it's hilarious, I think

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I love how Radahn rides on that tiny skinny horse. Funniest and best thing in the game. The plot and lore reason is that it's hilarious, I think

It's better than that - he LOVES that horse. And when he got all giant, bloated and semi-corpsified, he learned gravity magic so he could sort of lift himself 3 feet off the ground so he could keep riding his best friend without hurting it.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
:shobon:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

skasion posted:

Think of it like this. The skeletons are an obvious parallel to the Tarnished: hunted outcasts with magic death problems whose main sin is that their existence shits all over the religious dogma of Golden Order. they’re a reminder that the Erdtree these people worship is super hosed and there is no going back. They’re different in a way that devalues the position of the “great and good”, and therefore get picked on.

And this is all completely independent of their actual conduct. so far as we can see, that conduct is murderous and gross…but as you and everyone else can see, they’re hardly the only ones. It’s hard to be anything BUT murderous and gross when the “good guys” want to kill you on sight. It requires an act of faith to reach across a divide like that. Approaching it from a rational point of view will never do the trick. notice that brilliant Goldmask, who is presented as the source of that quote about how dumb the skeleton killers are, himself has no ambition to help the skeletons out. You can either make the leap of faith (like Fia does by having sex with a gigantic dead fish man), or you can not.
I'm not asking for an in-universe rationale, I'm saying that Those Who Live in Death as presented by the game are not interesting or fun to me and I wish they were done differently.

Since undead are already the norm as enemies and are treated very casually, the skellies don't stand out and I can't get into the golden order stuff from a perspective of "let's go smite the spooky skeletons" paladin RP angle. But on the other hand since we don't get to actually communicate with them, there's nothing for me to enjoy from a "let's help out the spooky skeletons" angle either.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

That the Skeletons aren't meaningfully different from any other group is the point, and I'll point out most of the Lands Between are sane, they want to murder you because you are a Tarnished and thus a conquering force. They're also not really intended to read as undead, the way that Hollows in Dark Souls are. They're sane and starving, not mindless violent zombies. Except the actual zombies, but those are generally actually rotting walking corpses.

In any case the skeletons being hunted down for being outside the Golden Order is the same thing as the Omens being hunted down for being outside the Golden Order. It's bullshit religious persecution. It's all bullshit religious persecution, Turtle Pope makes it clear. Sin isn't real, all things can be conjoined. These people are being hunted down because it is convenient or benefits the golden order or "purifies" it. The Mending Runes change the Elden Ring and thus the doctrine of the Golden Order in fundamental ways.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Nov 3, 2023

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

LazyMaybe posted:

and then there's just general esoterica like Roderika saying [...] and then you're sort of just left with that and have to eventually assume she's just being loving weird and talking about bodybags or something
That sort of thing makes a lot more sense with what someone was saying earlier about Miyazaki loving watching western movies while barely understanding the subtitles and trying to replicate that. I'd love to be able to speak fluent enough Japanese to be able to compare the translations to see how the specific word choices compare between the English & Japanese dialogue.

LazyMaybe posted:

who the gently caress turned boc into a tree anyway
I got the impression it was the other demihumans in the beach cave he talks about? Other demihumans on the Weeping Peninsula can disguise themselves as bushes to ambush you (and there's one group in Limgrave that do it as well).

It seems like he either got turned into a tree as a curse / bullying by the others, or used the disguise himself to get away from them; and then either way, couldn't work out how to get out of it again.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Nov 3, 2023

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Lord_Magmar posted:

That the Skeletons aren't meaningfully different from any other group is the point, and I'll point out most of the Lands Between are sane, they want to murder you because you are a Tarnished and thus a conquering force.

Bur the skeletons being hunted down for being outside the Golden Order is the same thing as the Omens being hunted down for being outside the Golden Order. It's bullshit religious persecution. It's all bullshit religious persecution, Turtle Pope makes it clear. Sin isn't real, all things can be conjoined.

If sin isn't real then explain this

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Lord_Magmar posted:

That the Skeletons aren't meaningfully different from any other group is the point, and I'll point out most of the Lands Between are sane, they want to murder you because you are a Tarnished and thus a conquering force.

The game specifically says that most of the people in the Lands Between have lost their minds.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Rand Brittain posted:

The game specifically says that most of the people in the Lands Between have lost their minds.

Where does it say that, because I don't remember it (but I'm not gonna suggest I have perfect memory of this game).

What I do remember is that the game does make clear that the Tarnished are seen as power hungry and seeking to rule. Which the Demigods are against, because that's competition and they themselves want the job.

There are definitely insane/maddened beings in the Lands Between, but the majority of soldiers and nobles and sorcerors etc are fighting you because you're tarnished and thus an invading conqueror intent on becoming Elden Lord.

The game also seemed pretty direct about when characters were insane, like Radahn's mind having completely rotted away. With his Redmane Knights protecting the beach he's been imprisoned within and holding festivals to find someone to kill him, which implies they're still rational sane actors. Godrick's forces are still hunting tarnished and non-tarnished alike for grafting, which may be a bit nasty but they clearly retain their thoughts and are capable of manning complex defence networks.

People are not mindless the way Hollows are, they're just decrepit because nothing dies in the Lands Between (except the skeleton undead and such, who have broken from the Golden Order).

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Nov 3, 2023

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

That sort of thing makes a lot more sense with what someone was saying earlier about Miyazaki loving watching western movies while barely understanding the subtitles and trying to replicate that. I'd love to be able to speak fluent enough Japanese to be able to compare the translations to see how the specific word choices compare between the English & Japanese dialogue.

“Chrysalid” is definitely Roderika being weird as much as the translator. The Japanese word is just 蛹 “chrysalis”. In the Chrysalid’s Memento item it’s 蛹たち: “chrysalis”+suffix for a group of people (you wouldn’t normally use this suffix with inanimate object)

Also, at one point the cut character Asimi was referred to as a “silver chrysalid”. Makes a kind of sense when you think about what they were, a silver tear going through its weird lifecycle. The underlying idea still seems present with the Larval Tears in the finished game.

skasion fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Nov 3, 2023

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Lord_Magmar posted:

Where does it say that, because I don't remember it (but I'm not gonna suggest I have perfect memory of this game).

Here:

Commoner's Headband posted:

A headband that holds cloth in place. Standard wear for commoners of the Lands Between.

Only, there are no commoners remaining with their wits about them.

Lordsworn's Straight Sword posted:

Well-crafted straight sword with an illustrious design, wielded by regulars of a lord's army.

Though blackened and damaged by years of use, it appears to have otherwise been kept in a servicable condition, despite the soldiers having long since lost their minds.

So, the commoners and the soldiers have all explicitly lost their minds long ago, which covers... pretty much everybody?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
besides the above, which I vaguely remembered but could be bothered to go find so thanks for that-

Lord_Magmar posted:

That the Skeletons aren't meaningfully different from any other group is the point, and I'll point out most of the Lands Between are sane, they want to murder you because you are a Tarnished and thus a conquering force. They're also not really intended to read as undead, the way that Hollows in Dark Souls are.
-why do they both look and act like hollows in dark souls if they are not intended to read as undead the way that hollows in dark souls are? like you cannot seriously tell me that is not an undead. come on. look at these guys. they are not "sane, but starving", these guys are essentially ds1 hollows with higher resolution textures.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

John Murdoch posted:

yeah, that's really all there is to it. i'd certainly prefer stronger character work, and they have the capability of delivering on that, but SotFS tells a solid story with two clear endings, and does so with a minimum of characters (it's basically just aldia and vendrick yammering at you) and the kind of environmental storytelling (all the ruined kingdoms caught in the twilight between towering heights and crumbling depths) that all of these games otherwise do well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
also for the record there are multiple places where you can see soldiers crouched down amongst piles of bodies.

if you get close enough, you can both see and hear that they are actually eating their former comrades. this is not normal sane soldier behavior, these dudes are FAR gone