Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Aces High posted:

they may also have one in the tube for Rex as well, in the comics they did two prequels that were specifically to explain where Eve came from (in terms of her unique power set) and then explain her relationship with Rex before Invincible proper shows up.

regardless of all that, holy gently caress Lance Reddick!

That's gross because in the series they were dating but if Rex was in the tubes that implied they are siblings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

in the comics GG was always a man, even when Omni merks them all. I can't remember if they mention if it's a hereditary thing in any of the side comics or prequels but the cartoon seems to be showing it as such. Incidentally, the comic version of Red Rush gets got immediately in that fight, so it was nice of them to make him more of a Wally West-type speedster in the cartoon

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

cross-posting this from couch chat where Open Source Idiom posted it:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/invincible-season-2-two-parts-amazon-1235540878/

season 2 is being split into two parts, each part is four episodes. the second set of four episodes will arrive sometime in "early 2024." lmbo loving hell i hate you amazon, really hope this is not what they meant by "we renewed Invincible for two more seasons!"

Aye Doc fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jul 23, 2023

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Panfilo posted:

That's gross because in the series they were dating but if Rex was in the tubes that implied they are siblings.

I'd go into it further but if they are going to explore that, it's huuuuuge spoilers for upcoming episodes/side stories

in the comics, Rex is turned over to the government to be a guinea pig, because his family is loving Charlie Bucket poor, and he becomes an assassin, infiltrator, etc. person until he runs into Eve on a mission. He learns that the person who bought him is doing a coup or something within the government because his next target was going to be Cecil, so Rex goes on the run and hunkers down with Eve, and from there they start dating and we slide into current events with them being on the teen team, or whatever

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Yeah, I'd heard Green Ghost was a man in the comics. I guess the cartoon continuity has him pass on the amulet to someone else. I would have to assume the original died or retired or something, otherwise he could just take up the role again unless Nolan got rid of the thing after he killed Alana.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I thought it was so dumb how she died. Yeah human reaction to seeing your friends slaughtered but you have the power to be incorporeal for crying out loud. What was Omniman gonna do if she just phased through your floor and took off? Keep chasing her until the ghost effect wore off? Drill his body straight through the earth's core to make sure she couldn't get away?

Honestly at least that would have been cooler, to demonstrate just how far beyond he is to other superheroes.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Yeah, I'd heard Green Ghost was a man in the comics. I guess the cartoon continuity has him pass on the amulet to someone else. I would have to assume the original died or retired or something, otherwise he could just take up the role again unless Nolan got rid of the thing after he killed Alana.

I'm rewatching and we see the shards of the gem on the ground afterwards.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Better animation in that Atom Eve special than in season 1, hopefully that quality continues through the rest of the season.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Somewhere I read that the Green Ghost in Season One is supposed to be a successor to the original, who was a man. And that she was relatively inexperienced which explains why she froze up.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, it seems like a case of a successor, which makes sense given there's at least an 18 year time gap between Eve being born and the events of Season 1.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Yeah, it seems like a case of a successor, which makes sense given there's at least an 18 year time gap between Eve being born and the events of Season 1.

Maximum of 17, no? Mark and Eve meet in high school.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
https://twitter.com/ryanottley/status/1685307295146651650?s=46

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Why did Invincible beat up a Klingon

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySWxnUqajQ0

All his moves are basically his s1 greatest hits.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySWxnUqajQ0

Also the season 2 trailer just dropped

https://twitter.com/invinciblehq/status/1713283173407494643?s=46

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

November 3rd? Nice.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

The trailer shows a couple things I wasn’t sure they’d get to this season. Look good

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Could get a bit pressed for time. Any word on how many episodes?

A few sidestories it seems plus the big one which is Angstrom. I wonder if they'll do Conquest this season or next. Could end up either way.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Affi posted:

Could get a bit pressed for time. Any word on how many episodes?

A few sidestories it seems plus the big one which is Angstrom. I wonder if they'll do Conquest this season or next. Could end up either way.

Almost surely no. Big spoilers the stuff on the screen is made to look like the invasion of the alt dimension Invincibles, which immediately precedes Conquest, but I’m pretty sure that’s actually the bit from Angstrom’s intro where he’s collecting alt versions of himself

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

hah, they put the subway in there.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Show Spider-Man!

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://x.com/InvincibleHQ/status/1720222220868542886?s=20

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Episode 1 is up now on Prime. I'm watching it.

E: nothing new for comic readers, but a decent episode.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Nov 3, 2023

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Yea it was a good premiere.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

lmao at Evil AU Mark actually getting to say Invincible without it cutting to the title card.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

lmao at Evil AU Mark actually getting to say Invincible without it cutting to the title card.

I did enjoy them using that gag throughout the whole episode.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Pretty interested in this, since they seem to be using the show as a v2.0 for the comics. I read them after finishing S1 and was pretty surprised at how much better the show was (or at least how much more I liked it), usually it's the other way around with the source material. And yeah the comic does kinda poo poo the bed the last 20% or so, be nice if they make it all the way through and can smooth things out.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I did enjoy them using that gag throughout the whole episode.

That was fun, thought it was going to be a fun hint when they didn't do it when Mark first said it because that wasn't our Mark. They played it up a little much with characters doing stuff like 'I guess you really are *pause, look at camera* INVINCIBLE'. Then at the very end it's still a different character who slams to title. Wonder if it will be a different random character every episode this time?

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Nov 3, 2023

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I went and looked at the comics and I was surprised to find that Robot is still a deformed man at this point. Mark is also a lot more blasé about the warehouse explosion killing the Maulers and Angstroms.

Takes No Damage posted:

Then at the very end it's still a different character who slams to title. Wonder if it will be a different random character every episode this time?

It was random in the first season, too. I remember Mark, Sinclair, and Robot all delivering the title card line off the top of my head.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

unless we're going to get some kind of a reveal later on, Cecil is a pretty big departure from the comic version for this same point. He seems to genuinely care about Mark's mental health, something comics Cecil never seemed to give two shits about for ANY of the supes. Come to think of it, most of the supes are written to have a more team dynamic as compared to the comics. I guess that's an advantage for a tv setting, you can focus on more characters and not have it feel like padding.

I didn't think they were going to lead with Angstrom's story, for some reason I had thought we were gonna spend some more time with Allen the Alien, but alternate realities and dimensions come up all the drat time in the comics, may as well break that bottle early for the show

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
^^^
Also feels like something they can stretch over an entire season, doesn't he leave and come back several times in the comic? Easy to have him start some poo poo then just portal away until later.

It was random in the first season, too. I remember Mark, Sinclair, and Robot all delivering the title card line off the top of my head.

Welp:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvwUM_cjpj0

Somehow I got it into my head that it was every time Mark said it for the first time, but it was just the first time anyone says it :doh: Maybe they're going bizarro in S2 and it will be the last time each episode.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Nov 3, 2023

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Aces High posted:

unless we're going to get some kind of a reveal later on, Cecil is a pretty big departure from the comic version for this same point. He seems to genuinely care about Mark's mental health, something comics Cecil never seemed to give two shits about for ANY of the supes. Come to think of it, most of the supes are written to have a more team dynamic as compared to the comics. I guess that's an advantage for a tv setting, you can focus on more characters and not have it feel like padding.

Cecil cares about getting the job done right, and Mark can't do that with his head in the wrong place. Series Cecil is more easygoing, but it's not like comic Cecil didn't have a lighter side - for example, he loves using the teleporter and finds excuses to use it whenever possible even though it's very expensive. He's also kind and gentle with Debbie after Nolan turns, not because he has to be but because it's right.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
I feel like I must have missed something.

How is Donald alive again?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Adrianics posted:

I feel like I must have missed something.

How is Donald alive again?

It will be addressed. Eventually.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

It will be addressed. Eventually.

Yeah I figured it's a multiverse/clone thing, just felt a weird flex to have him there with no explanation or even acknowledgement.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I love Invincible but am worried about this season, I already hated multiverse crap before the latest wave of it now I'm extra sick of it.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I feel like people are way over-exaggerating the multi-verse trend. its always been a fairly common thing in sci-fi, and there doesn't seem to be any more stuff with it than usual. Maybe its because mainstream ultra-popular stuff has it.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

I haven't read any of the comics but obviously got some Kang the Conquerer vibes from the new villain, I think the saving grace of the multiverse in Invincible is at least there's no danger of LOOK WHO IT IS cameos, I'm looking forward to seeing more of the evil versions of Omniman and Invincible; Omniman's so goofy and having a good time :3:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

socialsecurity posted:

I love Invincible but am worried about this season, I already hated multiverse crap before the latest wave of it now I'm extra sick of it.

I'm not thrilled about it either. I liked it when it was about bargain-bin Justice League rejects, Cecil, and Mark dealing with the fallout from learning their Superman was evil and always had been. People weren't jaded to multiverse plots when they were making this season and definitely not yet when the comic was written, but even if this had come out before all the multiverse MCU/DCU garbage I still wouldn't like the scope change.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Adrianics posted:

I haven't read any of the comics but obviously got some Kang the Conquerer vibes from the new villain, I think the saving grace of the multiverse in Invincible is at least there's no danger of LOOK WHO IT IS cameos, I'm looking forward to seeing more of the evil versions of Omniman and Invincible; Omniman's so goofy and having a good time :3:

Thing is, though, that !Omni-Man doesn't perceive himself as evil. As !Mark says, they want to end famine, war and disease on Earth and will defend it from other would-be conquerors, and all they demand in return is humanity's complete submission to a superior power that we cannot hope to defeat anyway. !Omni-Man thinks that he is absolutely right to kill anyone who resists or protests because they're spoiling it for the people who survive. And because he thinks he's acting for the greater good, he lets himself enjoy his work.

E: LifeLynx, your criticism is fair but also not complete. The multiverse in Invincible is not about having alternate versions of the same characters. It's there to show us what will happen if Omni-Man successfully conquers the Earth. And the fact that Omni-Man has conquered so many Earths shows how significant a threat the Viltrum Empire really is. All the world's superheroes cannot stand against just two Viltrumites. What's going to happen if and when the Empire forces show up? These are the stakes.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Nov 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Adrianics posted:

:byodood: "Can we hurry it up here Mark I'M HUNGRY WE SHOULD'VE GOTTEN LUNCH AN HOUR AGO" sounding like you got sucked into helping your kid with some errand that is taking way too goddamn long to finish.

I find it amusing the Mauler twins keep getting screwed over lmao I bet there wasn't even a dimension with no superheroes but good food, it would be some twilight zone where it rains donuts but the only thing actually edible is plants made of pure asbestos or something.

Did Angstroms machine work? I couldn't tell based on his lines at the end.