Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Just watch all of Lynch’s movies. You can skip Dune, but even that’s pretty good imo.

it's okay to skip inland empire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags

Section 9 posted:

1) What would you consider other "Lynchian" films/shows worthy or unworthy (mostly unworthyl) of that tag?
I've seen lots of comparisons over the years but rarely has anything really measured up to that categorization to the degree that I can't think of any positive examples. I've watched a number of things over the years because they were somewhere compared to Lynch, and usually they seemed to me like they were trying hard to be weird for the sake of weirdness. I think my go-to example is "The Oregonian" by Calvin Lee Reeder, but also some other short films by Calvin. Another was "Knives and Skin" by Jennifer Reeder and only now as I am typing this am I realizing there may be some relation between them? Huh...
I would say Bresson. There are some strong commonalities, such as unnatural/unactor-ly performances and intense spiritual preoccupations.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Pinterest Mom posted:

I really don't like Inland Empire although that one scene with Laura Dern's stretched out face is scary.

But it's clearly the product of Lynch just doing a bunch of experiments with video cameras since he was excited by the tech and loving around, then loosely connecting it with a frame story. He even admits as much interviews about it

Lynch hasnt actually made a project that was fully initially envisaged and completed as a feature film since the 90s, given Mulholland Drive started as a tv polot

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Pinterest Mom posted:

wrong

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."

Pinterest Mom posted:

:cmon:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Pinterest Mom posted:

it's okay to watch inland empire 7 times in a row

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

personally i'd consider lost highway his most skippable movie. but you should watch that too. performance of robert blake's life

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

HD DAD posted:

it's okay to watch inland empire 7 times in a row

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Section 9 posted:

2) What movies/shows that aren't Lynch would you consider Lynch adjacent in such a way that you would recommend them to anyone who likes Lynch (and maybe specifically Twin Peaks since that's the thread topic) Not because they have anything in common with Twin Peaks, Lynch, or whatever but just because you feel like people who vibe with Lynch would vibe with them.

The Vast of Night feels Lynch-inspired, in the same way that Brian de Palma can be said to feel Hitchcock-inspired.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Nov 3, 2023

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Tarnop posted:

I've been getting a lot out of watching a director's whole filmography in chronological order.
Been doing this with Tarantino, it was pretty good.

Section 9 posted:

2) What movies/shows that aren't Lynch would you consider Lynch adjacent in such a way that you would recommend them to anyone who likes Lynch (and maybe specifically Twin Peaks since that's the thread topic) Not because they have anything in common with Twin Peaks, Lynch, or whatever but just because you feel like people who vibe with Lynch would vibe with them.
Pretty much all of Nicolas Winding Refn's movies and particularly his streaming shows. And adjacent to that, Lost River.

e: Legion gave me Lynchian vibes when I first watched it.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Nov 3, 2023

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I watched Jennifer Lynch’s “Chained” recently and it is very good once you adjust to the weird tone it’s going for.

Definitely and literally Lynchian.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Blue Velvet and Mulholland Drive were my two favourite Lynch films, but yeah all the ones I saw were worth a watch. Although Dune mainly because of some bafflingly strange adaptation decisions tbh

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Inland Empire is the most accurate depiction of a nightmare I've seen in film, I can't say I enjoyed it but it was interesting to experience once

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I legitimately like dune and read and enjoyed the books beforehand

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

hawowanlawow posted:

I legitimately like dune and read and enjoyed the books beforehand

I didn't enjoy it as a sci-fi film, but it's hard to really ding it when contextualized. It was certainly ambitious as hell and really tried to do right by the source material.

It was just clearly too early for it. The studio was clearly trying to make it commercially marketable at the time, and it shows. It would have been amazing if Lynch had been able to do it like Peter Jackson's did the Lord of the Rings trilogy, but the studio wanted it to be a contemporary blockbuster like Star Wars.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

My Lovely Horse posted:

Been doing this with Tarantino, it was pretty good.

The best one for me so far has been Kubrick. Absolutely incredible experience

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

shoeberto posted:

I didn't enjoy it as a sci-fi film, but it's hard to really ding it when contextualized. It was certainly ambitious as hell and really tried to do right by the source material.

It was just clearly too early for it. The studio was clearly trying to make it commercially marketable at the time, and it shows. It would have been amazing if Lynch had been able to do it like Peter Jackson's did the Lord of the Rings trilogy, but the studio wanted it to be a contemporary blockbuster like Star Wars.

Eh like the movie aggressively misses the point of the book imo. It's fun because it's got occasionally some good acting, the set design is top notch, and Lynch gets to be Lynch on occasion; but it's not a good Dune adaptation

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Section 9 posted:

For me:
Lodge 49
:hmmyes:

and I don't know if any of Lynch's work was a direct inspiration, but a lot of the visuals in End of Evangelion (the film that concludes the original 1995/1996 run of Neon Genesis Evangelion) make me think of Lynch. some of the wildest poo poo I've ever seen in an animated movie. (the only problem with recommending it is that you need to watch many hours of a big robot anime show to get there, and while I loved it, some parts of it have not aged great and the last third or so was clearly directed by someone who was deeply depressed. in a way, not unlike having to watch many hours of original twin peaks, including some really dodgy season 2 bits, before enjoying the good stuff in FWWM and the Return)

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro
I would say that Denis Villeneuve's movie Enemy felt a bit Lynchian. I liked it quite a lot.

And of course Donnie Darko is some sort of "Lynch for teens" movie. Haven't seen it in ages, though. And stay away from the director's cut, which turns a movie about mental illness into a sci fi about wormholes or whatever.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Von Pluring posted:

I would say that Denis Villeneuve's movie Enemy felt a bit Lynchian. I liked it quite a lot.

And of course Donnie Darko is some sort of "Lynch for teens" movie. Haven't seen it in ages, though. And stay away from the director's cut, which turns a movie about mental illness into a sci fi about wormholes or whatever.

Donnie Darko has not aged very well imo

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Lord of the Rings is kind of the playbook on how to turn a book into a Media Property though with endless spinoffs, reimaginings, pre- and sequels and the assorted merchandise for each.

Then again looking at the Dune books...

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Tarnop posted:

Donnie Darko has not aged very well imo

Go suck a gently caress.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Turpitude posted:

Go suck a gently caress.

There are parts that are still great and that dinner table conversation is one of them

And how, exactly, does one "suck a gently caress"

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Chut up!!

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

whats feces?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Baby mice! :haw:

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
If you’re looking for Lynch vibes then check out Lemming. It has Charlotte Gainsbourg, who is always amazing.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Gummo scratched a lot of the same itches as Lynch’s filmography. its also totally its own thing. and one of the great modern movies

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

If you like the Twin Peaks thematic element of a person being different versions of themselves in different times/contexts/realities and also the wild visuals of episode 8, The Fountain is a good watch. Not everyone I've recommended it to has liked it but Aranofsky's schtick works for me.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Tarnop posted:

If you like the Twin Peaks thematic element of a person being different versions of themselves in different times/contexts/realities and also the wild visuals of episode 8, The Fountain is a good watch. Not everyone I've recommended it to has liked it but Aranofsky's schtick works for me.

The Fountain is legit one of my favorite movies ever. Also like Lynch, the effects are more on the practical side.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I watched and loved The Fountain several times when I was much younger, now some years later after going through some of the stuff that we all do as life goes on, it's a much tougher watch. The emotions it stirs up are hard to deal with so I don't find myself wanting to watch it, but I think that's nothing but a compliment to the film, that it has that type of affect.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
David Byrne’s “True Stories” has wholesome Lynch vibes a lot of the time (and wholesome Gummo vibes, actually)

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Basebf555 posted:

I watched and loved The Fountain several times when I was much younger, now some years later after going through some of the stuff that we all do as life goes on, it's a much tougher watch. The emotions it stirs up are hard to deal with so I don't find myself wanting to watch it, but I think that's nothing but a compliment to the film, that it has that type of affect.

I feel this

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
The recent TV show Brand New Cherry flavour is obviously aping 90s era Lynch

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

It's going to come back in style!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

Gummo scratched a lot of the same itches as Lynch’s filmography. its also totally its own thing. and one of the great modern movies

Gummo is one of the most unsettling, disturbing bad times experience I've ever had watching a movie.... that I was also utterly enthralled by and recommend that everybody watch at least once. There's a fascinating revulsion to it. It's incredible.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Good call. This show kicks all kinds of rear end. Really goes places. Rosa Salazar is awesome in it. The double whammy of BNCF and both seasons of Undone really made me a fan of hers.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The Reflecting Skin is probably the most non Lynch thing I've seen that def had a similar feel. The guy who recommended it to me way back sold it by saying it's like if Blue Velvet were a coming of age movie, and yeah, that tracks.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It's not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

https://x.com/yugiohmachinim2/status/1718825705448812905?s=46&t=DPAZGva0MqEin1jSO1y2kw