Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/tictactomar/status/1720233312789135382?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Wes Mcauley seems like a nice guy but what an awful ref lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

The Dirty Burger posted:

https://twitter.com/arizonacoyotes/status/1720302056114995451?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Mintyukov and Cooley having 3 less points in 40 less games than Slafkovsky is a tough look.

Obviously early, he’s 6’3 230 and power forwards take a while to develop but it feels like his ceiling is more Josh Anderson than a Rick Nash or Landeskog type

He looked really good in the hot minute with Dach, but he just refuses to use his size. Which Dach did so he didn’t have to.

Maybe just paste him to Monahan, who may have an angels in the outfield situation going on.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Slafkovsky still seems like he has a pretty high ceiling, the skill level is obviously there, but yea it seems crazy that anyone but Cooley went 1st overall at this point. He is so good. I've been watching a lot of Arizona games solely because of him and they're a lot more fun to watch than they have been in past years.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
Ottawa needs to fire DJ Smith. He’s had 2 years to make something of this roster and he’s failed miserably.

On a separate note, Ottawa’s now lost 3 of their top 6 defencemen (Chabot, Zub, Brannstrom) and 3 of their top 5 centres (Pinto, Greig, Kastelic). Very excited to see a rotating cast of Buzz Flibbits on defence and in the bottom 6 for the next few weeks.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
lol Sharks, what the gently caress

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Marchand knew what he was doing, but from behind the play it was probably hard to see the stick go behind his leg and almost definitely impossible to see Marchand moves his leg more than he needs to to stop. He's so good at what he does.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Hey, now, he makes all his penalty calls all viral-like.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I will be the first to admit that Marchand does a lot of dirty poo poo, but that play looks like two guys bracing on each other/jostling for the best positioning as they go into the boards, which probably happens 50 times a game. They talked about this on ESPN too during the game and basically everyone + the token "former ref expert" they bring in all agreed it wasn't a penalty. Not that ESPN's opinion actually means anything - just saying that no one seemed to think it was a dirty play. So either Marchand was incredibly sneaky and it's basically imperceptible to the refs and people watching, or it was genuinely an accident and Liljegren lost his balance and went into the boards funny. Totally get why people want to scrutinize it more because it's Marchand, he's earned that by being a rat in the past, but in this particular case it seems like a bit of a stretch.

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

Zesty posted:

That roster is diiiiiire. Not even much they can part out for futures beyond Hertl.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

It would be cool if the Oilers results matched up with their fancy stats.

At least Sam Gagner is back

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Nah 3rd worst team in the league looks great on them.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Kale posted:

Yeah he definitely turned out to be the best player from that draft class after all. At this point unless he shows me something soon I'd almost rather have had Wright even at this point. Slafkovsky has a likeable personality, but he's just not contributing anything significant to the team other than a big body and a little puck carrying, which isn't a very unique skill set.

I'm not gonna pass any judgment yet on a big 19 year old kid who's only played 49 games. He just needs to get some confidence and learn better decision making. All of that feels coachable.

AntiDepressor posted:

Maybe just paste him to Monahan, who may have an angels in the outfield situation going on.

Yep. At this point I think Monahan could make anybody productive. Except maybe Mike Hoffman.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I will be the first to admit that Marchand does a lot of dirty poo poo, but that play looks like two guys bracing on each other/jostling for the best positioning as they go into the boards, which probably happens 50 times a game. They talked about this on ESPN too during the game and basically everyone + the token "former ref expert" they bring in all agreed it wasn't a penalty. Not that ESPN's opinion actually means anything - just saying that no one seemed to think it was a dirty play. So either Marchand was incredibly sneaky and it's basically imperceptible to the refs and people watching, or it was genuinely an accident and Liljegren lost his balance and went into the boards funny. Totally get why people want to scrutinize it more because it's Marchand, he's earned that by being a rat in the past, but in this particular case it seems like a bit of a stretch.

Look at Liljegren's left foot and Marchand's stick.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I mean, dirty/clean whatever. It should be a penalty though. Tripping doesn't care about intent, accidental tripping is still a penalty.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I don’t believe that most/any NHLers are actively trying to be malicious when making plays on the puck, but I do think that guys like Marchand will do things that are reckless in order to gain an advantage and the end result is often the same. There’s no world where he’s thinking “this is a good chance to break someone’s leg” but he is definitely attempting to mess with Liljegren’s balance in order to win that battle at a dangerous area and speed.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
Solid Veteran Leadership

https://x.com/zubcast/status/1720426977817923960?s=46&t=JGipJoH3wkxHlVpI9Q8vww

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Zesty posted:

https://twitter.com/SanJoseSharks/status/1555229589323988992

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Letting Pierre make decisions all summer turned out to be a terrible idea, who knew?

5 years of Korpisalo lol

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

I mean, dirty/clean whatever. It should be a penalty though. Tripping doesn't care about intent, accidental tripping is still a penalty.

This is very accurate about tripping not caring about intent. The problem is that they’re coming into the wall already with contact initiated by Liljegren. He changed his lane a little to make good contact with Marchand like players do coming into those board battles. He changed the angle and initiated the contact which is probably why they didn’t call anything when he couldn’t manage to interfere with Marchand and got tangled up on the stick.

Because it does care about how it happens, not necessarily intent.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Sharks have been on this decline ever since they changed jerseys from the cool tealshark

Shut up that SCF didn't happen
Ahem gently caress the Pens, Hope the sharks beat them in their next game

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

To me it looks like a borderline play, but I'm not inclined to give the benefit of the doubt to someone with Marchand's history. So, suspend him for that poo poo

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Zesty posted:

https://twitter.com/Macusian12345/status/1720297601470234693

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Lol, welcome to hockey kid, buckle up.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

someone should have called child services, taking your child to see the ‘23 Sharks is abuse

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

AntiDepressor posted:

I just want him on a separate line from Anderson, I get the big bodies angle, but talk about setting him up for failure

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
i haven't watched any blues games this year but apparently scott perunovich isn't even in the lineup. looking forward to him becoming the next vince dunn/jake walman for someone else

garbage team with a dumbass GM

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME
https://twitter.com/rupper17/status/1720463492656877770?s=46&t=mmkKQldZiNEN6JLnainqSg

at the very drat least Aho should have been called for interference here. No clue how it can be that blatant and not only get away with injuring a guy but also just completely taking him out of the play intentionally when the puck is 30 feet away. But hey the refs also missed 3 blatant high sticks from Carolina including one on a faceoff that cut Trocheck's nose. What a poo poo show of a game from the refs that was.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/dimfilipovic/status/1720303419976765458?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

There’s a fine line between tanking and just being absolutely unwatchable

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Sharks first win tomorrow night. Book it.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
The Sharks are really gunning for the worst post-lockout team. Hell, gunning for the worst team ever.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Twin Cinema posted:

The Sharks are really gunning for the worst post-lockout team. Hell, gunning for the worst team ever.

Who can even compete on the worst post-lockout team? The worst Sabres, Avs, Coyotes, and Red Wings teams were really terrible to watch but didn't look like this.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Sharks are trying to beat out the Sabres for the worst, most embarrassing record post lockout

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Who can even compete on the worst post-lockout team? The worst Sabres, Avs, Coyotes, and Red Wings teams were really terrible to watch but didn't look like this.

It was definitely the Red Wings nadir teams a few years ago

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Technically the 19-20 Red Wings are the worst, at least from what I can see, because they were on pace to finish with the worst point total.

As for the Sharks, it's still a long season, so they may turn things around (ever so slightly). The Oakland A's this past season were on pace to become the worst team in baseball since 1901 after their first two months, but then they just became awful. A huge step-up!

Vlasic has how many years left?!?

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

Twin Cinema posted:

Vlasic has how many years left?!?

whoa I thought he retired years ago

Looking at the stats, I believe he should have.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

https://twitter.com/hockey_ref/status/1720441952703832329

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I thought I cursed the Ducks when I posted after that Canes game about how fun they looked then they immediately lost like 5 in a row, nice to see them string a few together.

I can almost, almost, kinda see why they were reluctant to give Zegras a big extension. Terry and MacTavish look like better players to me, and those young d look really drat good, but it's still like what the gently caress who else are you going to pay (well Carlsson eventually, he looks like the real deal but still)?

e: wait has no one posted about the Devils powerplay on this page yet?

also how are the Bruins turning JVR into a great player again, loving Bruins man

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Nov 3, 2023

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Bratt making 7.8m for the next 8 years lol

The Bratt/Hischier/Jack deals are truly insane

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

fawning deference posted:

Bratt making 7.8m for the next 8 years lol

The Bratt/Hischier/Jack deals are truly insane

yeah well
if they hadn't dicked him around they could've had him for like... $6.5m probably
so yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

yeah well
if they hadn't dicked him around they could've had him for like... $6.5m probably
so yeah

not everyone can negotiate like Hextall