Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I don't quite understand fist fighting. I just get lucky and my button mashing sometimes knocks the guy out. Blocking works only half the time, I don't know why I only do it half the time I hold the block button. And I don't get grappling at all. I attempt to grapple and usually just get tossed away. I can't throw anybody when grappling does stick. What am I missing here?

About keeping carcasses and hides - some hides you sell to the tanner to unlock clothes and equipment, but some hides you sell to the cook at camp. Do I need to manually go over who wants which kind of perfect hide, or is there some pattern to it?

Game is pretty cool otherwise. I didn't think I would enjoy an old west game a whole lot, but I'm really digging it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Node posted:

About keeping carcasses and hides - some hides you sell to the tanner to unlock clothes and equipment, but some hides you sell to the cook at camp. Do I need to manually go over who wants which kind of perfect hide, or is there some pattern to it?

They are entirely separate, unfortunately. Only give Pearson perfect hides for new satchels and camp decor, only give the trapper perfect hides for new clothing.

Weirdly the one exception to this is legendary hides, which you can sell to anyone or even just leave on the ground and the game will 'count' you giving them to the trapper for purposes of making clothes.

Also if you do sell a legendary hide to the trapper and no clothes come of it, check with the fences instead: they sell special trinkets that use some legendary animal parts regardless of who you sold the animal to.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I understand why it has to work that way but the legendary hides not having a quality score makes the legendary hunts incredibly easy. Just blast the hell out of the animal with a shotgun and presto, perfect legendary hide!

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

TACD posted:

I understand why it has to work that way but the legendary hides not having a quality score makes the legendary hunts incredibly easy. Just blast the hell out of the animal with a shotgun and presto, perfect legendary hide!

Now go and collect all the legendary hides in red dead online

:getin:

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

PlushCow posted:

Was going through old stuff and found this, good day to repost:

https://i.imgur.com/cAfbrC4.mp4

Flawless

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

rotinaj posted:

Now go and collect all the legendary hides in red dead online

:getin:

if its like anything else in RDO I assume it takes camping a spawn that may not trigger, spending $20 of ammo to make $22 profit, you need to be a certain rank in a certain role that is only mentioned in a random submenu five submenus deep, and that if you die you lose it immediately and have to wait hours/days to try again

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wolfsheim posted:

if its like anything else in RDO I assume it takes camping a spawn that may not trigger, spending $20 of ammo to make $22 profit, you need to be a certain rank in a certain role that is only mentioned in a random submenu five submenus deep, and that if you die you lose it immediately and have to wait hours/days to try again

Yes but also if you shoot it more than once, odds are high that you ruin it

Explosives and fire and shotguns will all ruin it

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Wolfsheim posted:

Weirdly the one exception to this is legendary hides, which you can sell to anyone or even just leave on the ground and the game will 'count' you giving them to the trapper for purposes of making clothes.

I wish I knew this before I accidentally killed the legendary bison as it swam across lake isabella and couldn't figure out how to skin it. Ended up loading an older save.

Anyway I reached Chapter 4 recently and this game is absolutely amazing. It's extremely satisfying to pop heads with my lever action :clint:

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
Playing RDO essentially solo has been discussed but is it basically just regular RDR with more cool things to wear/jobs to do

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

R.L. Stine posted:

Playing RDO essentially solo has been discussed but is it basically just regular RDR with more cool things to wear/jobs to do

Is there a way to do a solo lobby without mods or having to change MTU or whatever?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Is there a way to do a solo lobby without mods or having to change MTU or whatever?

Back in the day when this game was still getting content you could do a glitch with the poker table that created a private session you could invite others to. Don't know if it's still a thing.

I helped someone with it and they ended up giving me a couple psn gift cards because they worked with Sony. That user was awesome.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

FireWorksWell posted:

Back in the day when this game was still getting content you could do a glitch with the poker table that created a private session you could invite others to. Don't know if it's still a thing.

I helped someone with it and they ended up giving me a couple psn gift cards because they worked with Sony. That user was awesome.

I think I read somewhere that this particular glitch got patched out, sadly.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I was in a mission and while pushing a heavy crate aside Arthur started coughing. The weather had turned cold and he was still in his summer gear. Whoops. also didn't realize that he had a weight status, and he was underweight. I am a bad Arthur owner.

I switched him to his winter gear and made him eat some fresh cooked game, but I noticed that unlike in RDO I can't cook any of the seasoned meats without a grill. Where do I find one?

Maybe I should give him a night at the Valentine hotel in a real bed. And a bath!

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Dick Trauma posted:

I was in a mission and while pushing a heavy crate aside Arthur started coughing. The weather had turned cold and he was still in his summer gear. Whoops. also didn't realize that he had a weight status, and he was underweight. I am a bad Arthur owner.

I switched him to his winter gear and made him eat some fresh cooked game, but I noticed that unlike in RDO I can't cook any of the seasoned meats without a grill. Where do I find one?

Maybe I should give him a night at the Valentine hotel in a real bed. And a bath!

You should be able to do it at your campfire

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I think I read somewhere that this particular glitch got patched out, sadly.

That's a huge disappointment.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Yeah they patched the poker table glitch, which is when all my friends stopped playing. That was the only reliable way to get a non-public session with other people (it was an actual "Invite" session)

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Dick Trauma posted:

You get the grill after a story mission, I think. I'm pretty sure I know what mission you were doing, and I think that cough is scripted but anyway go see Hosea.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I found that there's just one fire at the main camp that has a tiny grill, near where you tie up the horses. Grilled up a bunch of stuff!

EDIT: Wound up in St. Denis but didn't see any saloons on the map. Followed piano music to a really nice one and got Arthur a plate of prime rib, a bath and a room.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Oct 28, 2023

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

R.L. Stine posted:

Be warned though about a particular issue that should be plastered all over Steam and however you buy Playstation games: you cannot say "howdy" to folks in RDO. Absolutely hosed up.

Dick Trauma posted:

Go treat poor Arthur, dear God :gonk:

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Jerusalem posted:

Be warned though about a particular issue that should be plastered all over Steam and however you buy Playstation games: you cannot say "howdy" to folks in RDO. Absolutely hosed up.

This is the main thing that brings down RDO

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

I have a weird issue right now, and I'm not sure if anyone could help me but google is not being useful.

I bought RDD2 a long time ago on the rockstar launcher and forgot about it. I bought RDD2 again on steam during the current sales.

When I launch I notice I had completed a tiny bit of the intro and it dawned on me I had already bought the game before.

So I refund the game but now the game will not launch via the rockstar launcher. It keeps sending me to steam where I "Don't have a license"

Trying to launch straight from the exe will give me an error message in the launcher telling me "this social club account doesn't own RDD online"

Not sure where to go from here. I somehow managed to brick myself out of playing a game I already own?

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Mikojan posted:

I have a weird issue right now, and I'm not sure if anyone could help me but google is not being useful.

I bought RDD2 a long time ago on the rockstar launcher and forgot about it. I bought RDD2 again on steam during the current sales.

When I launch I notice I had completed a tiny bit of the intro and it dawned on me I had already bought the game before.

So I refund the game but now the game will not launch via the rockstar launcher. It keeps sending me to steam where I "Don't have a license"

Trying to launch straight from the exe will give me an error message in the launcher telling me "this social club account doesn't own RDD online"

Not sure where to go from here. I somehow managed to brick myself out of playing a game I already own?

I had this happen to me the other way around, you gotta e-mail the support and show them your receipt

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

skipmyseashells posted:

I had this happen to me the other way around, you gotta e-mail the support and show them your receipt

Rip, i cant even find the email anymore about the payment. And the rockstar website doesnt seem to keep track of my orders either.

May just buy it again while it’s still on sale..

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

60 hours in, no issues with framerate drops, and now all of a sudden my FPS drops when braking/drifting with the horse :psyduck:

Turns out it's an extremely common problem on all systems, regardless of video card/setup. PC gaming truly is not for those who seek consistency. I think I actually would have minded this less if the frameloss was there from the start.

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Nov 2, 2023

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Away all Goats posted:

60 hours in, no issues with framerate drops, and now all of a sudden my FPS drops when braking/drifting with the horse :psyduck:

Turns out it's an extremely common problem on all systems, regardless of video card/setup. PC gaming truly is not for those who seek consistency. I think I actually would have minded this less if the frameloss was there from the start.

Make sure your graphics card drivers are up to date, mine makes my pc stutter on any game when it is time for an update

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

rotinaj posted:

Make sure your graphics card drivers are up to date, mine makes my pc stutter on any game when it is time for an update

Bless you goon. I don't understand how a 3 week old patch fixed a problem I only started having today managed to fixed the framerate drops, but it did.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I'm glad I didn't skip the fishing trip with Dutch and Hosea because it featured one of my favorite parts of RDR2: when characters start singing.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Away all Goats posted:

Bless you goon. I don't understand how a 3 week old patch fixed a problem I only started having today managed to fixed the framerate drops, but it did.

:hfive:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

The brief women's suffrage mission made me want a RDR set in NYC in the late 1800s through to WW I. Or barring that a Gangs of New York version. Would love to see Rockstar reproduce the Lower East Side.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

skipmyseashells posted:

I've been having the same problem with social club saying I'm not entitled to RDR2, not letting me play the game. Rockstar support has been giving me completely boilerplate responses like "restart your computer," "verify file integrity," and "upload your dxdiag."

I've never had a game I bought from Steam tell me I'm not entitled to playing it before.

Node fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Nov 3, 2023

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I can't catch this legendary sockeye salmon. On the controller, my thumb gets too loving sore reeling it in. When the fish fights, it makes much more progress getting away than I do reeling it in. I tried using my mouse and keyboard, but the controls aren't making any sense. It says to hold down space and tap R, which doesn't seem to make Arthur reel it in any faster, which means the fish gets so far that it breaks the line. This is all on top of the fact that if the fish gets near the small rock jutting out above surface, it always breaks the line, and if the fish fights too near the ice, it also breaks the line. I didn't have a problem with the gar or the sturgeon. What am I supposed to do here?

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

One of the buttons will actually hold the line for a few moments so the fish doesn't drag out everything you've reeled in for the last few minutes (holding the reel button as opposed to tapping/rotating, I think?). That will also break the line eventually, but it can be useful if it's just ruining your progress every time it fights. Other than that, hold the rod back while the fish is fighting, then alternate pointing the rod down while reeling like crazy and pulling it back to drag the fish closer when it tires out.

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 4, 2023

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

It's annoying when the game arbitrarily changes your weapon loadout for a scripted sequence. I made sure to select my usual Lancaster and semi-auto shotgun before I started a mission in Rhodes and it wasn't until the shooting began that I realized it had moved my Lancaster to the bottom slot and replaced it with the bolt action rifle. I understand that for special missions like providing sniper-style overwatch the game might give you a specific weapon, but for a more generic mission it's annoying to find myself without my preferred tools, and that mission was crying out for my shotgun.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dick Trauma posted:

It's annoying when the game arbitrarily changes your weapon loadout for a scripted sequence. I made sure to select my usual Lancaster and semi-auto shotgun before I started a mission in Rhodes and it wasn't until the shooting began that I realized it had moved my Lancaster to the bottom slot and replaced it with the bolt action rifle. I understand that for special missions like providing sniper-style overwatch the game might give you a specific weapon, but for a more generic mission it's annoying to find myself without my preferred tools, and that mission was crying out for my shotgun.

Saaaaaaame

If the game is absolutely desperate for you to snipe, leave a sniper rifle by the fuckin’ sniping perch

And stop switching my pistols back to the cattleman revolver, i spent all this money on volcanics for a reason

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It is bizarre to me that that never got updated in a patch or anything (or at least some kind of option to turn it off in settings). Especially since, iirc, RDO doesn't do that at all, weapon selection works the way you would expect it to (ie, you choose your weapons, and they will not be swapped or removed without your permission), doesn't it? How hard would it be to apply that to SP?

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Node posted:

I can't catch this legendary sockeye salmon. On the controller, my thumb gets too loving sore reeling it in. When the fish fights, it makes much more progress getting away than I do reeling it in. I tried using my mouse and keyboard, but the controls aren't making any sense. It says to hold down space and tap R, which doesn't seem to make Arthur reel it in any faster, which means the fish gets so far that it breaks the line. This is all on top of the fact that if the fish gets near the small rock jutting out above surface, it always breaks the line, and if the fish fights too near the ice, it also breaks the line. I didn't have a problem with the gar or the sturgeon. What am I supposed to do here?

I think you can change the button prompts/type in the settings so you don't have to wiggle it around or whatever and you can just hold a button to reel. It's been a while since I played but I remember having similar trouble until I changed that option. Are you pulling the rod back up too?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Node posted:

In the Controls -> Accessibility section, there’s a Hold to Reel (Fishing) option, so you can just hold down a button rather that whirling the stick like a maniac. Made fishing actually pleasurable rather than infuriating!

Oh and like the other poster said, when the fish isn’t straining make sure to drag it towards you - return the thumbstick to neutral and then pull sharply towards you. Arthur will tilt the rod towards himself, then return to neutral and repeat (while reeling, of course). Don’t do this while the fish is swimming away or the line will break.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Node posted:

I struggled with this too. You might be spinning the control stick too fast. Pay more attention to the animation of your character moving the reel; if you're going too fast it will be very glitchy looking, a smooth, steady reel-in is what you want. Another thing that I didn't realize about finishing (since I have zero real life fishing experience) is you want the fish near the surface of the water at all times. That means holding 'down' on the left control stick. Again, pay attention to your character's animations as they will lower the rod if you just keep holding the stick down. You want that nice parabolic arch to your rod at all times.

Anyway I finally got to the end credits. Took me about 94 hours cause I just really loved exploring the world and taking my time. I don't mean it lightly when I say this might be one of the greatest games of all time. I'm also glad I waited until I got a new PC to play this too, because it was absolutely gorgeous. Spoilers: Rest in peace, Arthur "shuar" Morgan, you beautiful bastard. The handing over the torch satchel and hat to John was a nice touch. I also appreciated Arthur pausing for a moment to thank and say goodbye to his horse, who for me, was the only horse he rode the entire game.

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Nov 10, 2023

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

i love the story of RDR2, but i also love that i finally killed enough rats in st denis to earn the rat hat, and then proceeded to get drunk and stroll along during a thunderstorm antagonizing everyone i met and knocking out various challengers until i was forced to flee into the swamps

something about the rat hat just makes you WANT to be an rear end in a top hat, you know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I just made it to St. Denis and somehow I am not even 50% of the way through this game. I was surprised to find stranger missions pop up back in Rhodes, only found them by going back there to pick up a bounty poster. Makes me wonder if there are more missions I don't know about because you have to be local for them to appear on the map.

I have become a responsible Arthur owner, keeping him fed and clothed properly. And I give him a bath and a hotel stay now and then if he's been a good boy.